Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What's the best deal out there right now on a new steel frameset?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What's the best deal out there right now on a new steel frameset?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-17, 07:49 AM
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,441 Times in 2,764 Posts
Bummer that you missed out on the Breezers
Old 03-03-17, 08:32 AM

Bikes: Steel 1x's

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Yeah, that would have been a good get for her, I think.

I found a Soma Double Cross on CL yesterday and emailed the guy. He wrote back that he decided to keep the bike and took the ad down. Ah well.

Still on the hunt.
Old 03-03-17, 09:04 AM
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
New Albion Privateer. Its Tange Infinity tubing, the brand is by the same company who owns Soma, and the frame is inexpensive. Doesnt come qith a fork, but Soma has a few different forks for the frame.
Gloss black color so that may bot be cool enough, but the flair could be introduced with color cable housing and bar tape.

Probably $400ish for frame and fork.

Its made to be a versatile drop bar bike. I think sorta along the lines of the Black Mountain road frame.
Great bike. My son has one. Really excellent for a heavy load.
Old 03-03-17, 04:15 PM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Now I'm kicking around built bikes for her to save some cost. Any cool steel bikes out there?

The Kona Tonk looks cool.
Old 03-03-17, 05:57 PM

Bikes: 1996 Specialized Hardrock Sport FS, 2011 Fuji Newest 1.0, 2015 GRC-Single Gecko, 2016 Waterford RS-22

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Soma, VO, or All City would be my interesting frames of choice.
Old 03-03-17, 07:50 PM

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe, ANT 3-speed roadster, New Albion Privateer singlespeed, Raleigh One Way singlespeed, Raleigh Professional "retro roadie" rebuild, 198? Fuji(?) franken-5-speed, 1937 Raleigh Tourist, 1952 Raleigh Sports, 1966 Raleigh Sports step-through

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
One that I haven't seen mentioned but has my attention for a possible future project is the new Soma Pescadero frame...it's basically the Smoothie ES, but with even more tire/fender clearance.
Old 03-03-17, 11:10 PM

Bikes: Allez/Motobecane 427HT & Ti/Soma Custom Build

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Soma

Got my Soma from Western Bike Works. Got a good deal on it too. Frame didnt need any prep like facing. Just took my time building and built the bike I wanted instead of settling for gearing, brakes, bottom bracket or something else I really didnt like.
Old 03-04-17, 01:00 PM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by agmetal
One that I haven't seen mentioned but has my attention for a possible future project is the new Soma Pescadero frame...it's basically the Smoothie ES, but with even more tire/fender clearance.
That sounds like a great frame set. I have a set of long reach caliper brakes in a box, so I was kind of leaning towards that style of frame, but I really like my linear pull brakes as well and might want to get her into that kind of thing as well. Either would be fine as this will be her first road bike and she doesn't have a preference.

My thought is to get her a "do all" bike for her first one. So if she likes road, it does road. If gravel, it does gravel. If touring, it does touring. The Soma Pescadero, Double Cross and Black Mountain Cycles MonsterCross framesets all meet that.
Old 03-05-17, 07:46 AM

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Adrenaline Bikes

On sale for $449.
Old 03-05-17, 02:48 PM

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,087 Times in 1,182 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
Adrenaline Bikes

On sale for $449.
That's a steal for steel, so to speak and it's a great frame.

Trouble is, the Adrenaline site states "Available only in size 55.5 ", yet the Soma archive on this frame doesn't list any 55.5 of anything, so I've no clue what size frame this is and if being considered, best to call Adrenaline to verify. They are a nice company to deal with as BTW.
Old 03-06-17, 01:15 PM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
She really needs a 52-53, I think.
Old 03-06-17, 10:07 PM

Bikes: Imremo (cheap taiwanese mtb) and vintage Jupiter King (Japanese '70s road bike)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Try "The Light Blue" frames. They are all steel, incredibly lightweight, and their finishes and options are excellent.
Frames | The Light Blue Sport
Old 03-07-17, 12:25 PM
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7350 Post(s)
Liked 2,475 Times in 1,438 Posts
Someone here on BF recently recounted his story of getting a Bob Jackson frame custom made and built up. The frame was shockingly inexpensive, especially since they built it just for him.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 03-07-17, 11:21 PM
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 220 Posts
Originally Posted by quicktrigger
Got my Soma from Western Bike Works. Got a good deal on it too. Frame didnt need any prep like facing. Just took my time building and built the bike I wanted instead of settling for gearing, brakes, bottom bracket or something else I really didnt like.

I like the sound of that approach.

Have you done a thread on this where you provide pictures and details of what components you chose?
Old 03-08-17, 07:36 AM
Le savonnier

Bikes: I can count 'em on one hand

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 274 Posts
Originally Posted by curbowman
Try "The Light Blue" frames. They are all steel, incredibly lightweight, and their finishes and options are excellent.
Frames | The Light Blue Sport
Thanks for this. I had never heard of this company. Looking at their complete bikes, I also discovered a components manufacturer I'd never heard of: Genetic. Anyone have any experience with their products?
Old 03-08-17, 08:04 AM

Bikes: Allez/Motobecane 427HT & Ti/Soma Custom Build

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
I like the sound of that approach.

Have you done a thread on this where you provide pictures and details of what components you chose?
No thread. I actually had the components for about 6 weeks before I started to build. Had a buddy who were here visiting for several weeks. He and his gf are bike people, and I wanted to have everything in case weather went crappy and needed an inside project i.e. build a bike. That didn't happen, so I built it over a a few weeks when they left. Mostly couple hours at a time kind of deal and irregular. Had a few mis-steps that resulted in new orders. For instance, wrong size seatpost clamp and hunting and finding the correct one in the color I wanted, and then finding something else I wanted to make the order worthwhile.

Here is some highlights on components for you though.
Soma Fog Cutter frame with carbon fiber fork and BSA bottom bracket. Bought colored headset at the same time.
Shimano 3 x 10 SLX mountain bike groupset. 42-30-22 Chainring and 11-36 cassette. Used
Shimano SLX I.S. standard hydraulic brakes which came in configured right hand front brake instead of the left hand front brake I ordered. So had to switch that (to match my other bikes), and changed the hose to color match. Had to bleed one brake 4 times to finally get it working properly.
Shimano RX cyclocross wheels (don't remember the model off top of my head) since it was to be a gravel bike. Needed to be able to take abuse. Centerlock disc brake, with shimano disc rotor.
700x35 Clement Xplor tires.
Flatbar handle bars, as I want to be sitting up to view scenery.
GF bought some nice platform pedals that I don't remember the brand and name of at the moment.
Then misc small items like color matched jockey wheels for the rear derailleur, color matched skewers, and head tube spacers etc.

There were various issues along the way that had to be resolved. Like the mentioned clamp, the handlebar issues, hoses, shifting issue due to mis-aligned hanger (probable my fault). But all part of the learning curve. You have to expect those, and not get frustrated.

Have not cut headtube as of yet until I ride it enough that I decide what height I want, plus the cables are a bit long. Final weight with cages etc was 24.6 pounds.

Here are a couple pics.

Old 03-08-17, 09:34 AM
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 220 Posts
Originally Posted by quicktrigger
No thread. I actually had the components for about 6 weeks before I started to build. Had a buddy who were here visiting for several weeks. He and his gf are bike people, and I wanted to have everything in case weather went crappy and needed an inside project i.e. build a bike. That didn't happen, so I built it over a a few weeks when they left. Mostly couple hours at a time kind of deal and irregular. Had a few mis-steps that resulted in new orders. For instance, wrong size seatpost clamp and hunting and finding the correct one in the color I wanted, and then finding something else I wanted to make the order worthwhile.

Here is some highlights on components for you though.
Soma Fog Cutter frame with carbon fiber fork and BSA bottom bracket. Bought colored headset at the same time.
Shimano 3 x 10 SLX mountain bike groupset. 42-30-22 Chainring and 11-36 cassette. Used
Shimano SLX I.S. standard hydraulic brakes which came in configured right hand front brake instead of the left hand front brake I ordered. So had to switch that (to match my other bikes), and changed the hose to color match. Had to bleed one brake 4 times to finally get it working properly.
Shimano RX cyclocross wheels (don't remember the model off top of my head) since it was to be a gravel bike. Needed to be able to take abuse. Centerlock disc brake, with shimano disc rotor.
700x35 Clement Xplor tires.
Flatbar handle bars, as I want to be sitting up to view scenery.
GF bought some nice platform pedals that I don't remember the brand and name of at the moment.
Then misc small items like color matched jockey wheels for the rear derailleur, color matched skewers, and head tube spacers etc.

There were various issues along the way that had to be resolved. Like the mentioned clamp, the handlebar issues, hoses, shifting issue due to mis-aligned hanger (probable my fault). But all part of the learning curve. You have to expect those, and not get frustrated.

Have not cut headtube as of yet until I ride it enough that I decide what height I want, plus the cables are a bit long. Final weight with cages etc was 24.6 pounds.

Here are a couple pics.

The pics don't show in this thread, but by right clicking on them and opening them in a new tab, I was able to see them.

Wow, that Fogcutter is both a beautiful colour and design.

What's the biggest tyre you think you could run on it?

Also I am keen to get your impressions on how comfortable the bike is(i.e. in absorbing road buzz due to steel frame and carbon fork) and if it is plenty stiff enough around the bottom bracket.

With the various issues you had putting that baby together, it would have made for a great standalone thread for is to follow along your progress.

The final pay off certainly makes it all look worthwhile.
Old 03-08-17, 10:20 AM
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4358 Post(s)
Liked 3,997 Times in 2,667 Posts
I have a privateer that I built up into a 1X7 hybrid with some parts bin stuff (XT RD, Ritchey ForceLite bars, Tiagra Hollowtech Cranks, Specialized Carbon Fork...) It is actually quite a decent bike, it rides well even with the skinny 28s that I happen to have laying about, they will be replaced with something wider.

I bought the frame because it was really cheap but I gotta say I love the bike and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to someone.
Old 03-09-17, 12:04 PM
afraid of whales

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
For years I've said I'll buy a new road frame when I can get a steel disc frame with lightweight tubing and sport geometry that runs at least 32mm tyres like the Soma ES. I just ordered a Fog Cutter frame and matching CF fork.

Last edited by Mr IGH; 03-09-17 at 12:11 PM.
Old 03-10-17, 06:32 AM

After following this thread I am so happy I bought my Guru Sidero from a friend for $1200 about 3 yrs ago. It came with lower level SRAM but I've added Red crankset and derailleurs. It had Ksyrium Elites and I kept those. Ready to ride with GPS unit, Blinkie light, pump, tool bag, etc. it weighs about 18 1/2 lbs. Love this thing.
Old 03-10-17, 06:34 AM

Here's a pic. My friend had ridden it 3 times and found it too big for her.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0459.jpg (97.0 KB, 342 views)
Old 03-10-17, 06:49 AM

I would love to have this one. De Rosa Age Steel Fillet Brazed Road Bike Frameset

Click to enlarge. A classic beauty. Not cheap.
Old 03-10-17, 08:17 AM
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,493 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by Jarrett2
Guessing I need a 54 cm frameset. Steel frame/fork. Any smoking deals out there?
Forgot about Traitor. I came across them a year or so ago and just stumbled over the name last night.

Seamless double butted chromoly. It does have 135mm rear spacing though.
Traitor Crusade Frameset & Fork 2016 | evo outlet
$300 for frame and fork. Not the correct, size, but just linked it as an example.

::T R A I T O R C Y C L E S:: their corporate site. The EVO.com site is where the company's framesets and built bikes are sold. Might find a good match in your daughter's size.
Old 03-12-17, 07:23 AM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I ended up picking her up a used Surly Cross Check yesterday. The owner had done a little bit of customizing to the bike with Dura Ace shifters and front DR, Chris King headset, Thomson stem, etc.

I feel like this will be a good bike for her to get started riding on. Thanks for all the help.
Old 03-12-17, 07:06 PM

Bikes: recumbent & upright

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
This.

Don't wait until you are 50.
+1 - sorry I waited so long to do a custom steel frame.
Gunnar with custom geometry is a good deal.
Best riding bike I've ever had.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.