Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

$5 yard-sale Schwinn ride today.....

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

$5 yard-sale Schwinn ride today.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-23, 09:44 AM
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5039 Post(s)
Liked 8,270 Times in 3,906 Posts
Originally Posted by beng1
I don't struggle to understand anything at all. It is those who blindly accept whatever is marketed to them without any critical or independent thinking that do not understand anything. Just like it is those who need computers and "smart" phones to get through a day are those who will struggle without those crutches. I used to have a business building and repairing computers, and I run Linux OS and have even recompiled operating systems to customize them. It is just that I actually understand what digital technology really is being used for by wealth and power, so I willfully choose to not participate in certain aspects of it. You and your ilk on the other hand, those generations raised by digital tech, are incapable of living without it, and you never will be.
Nonsense. Computers and smart phones are just tools.

You don't know enough about me to determine what I am capable of or not, nor do you have any idea how I was raised.
Old 05-16-23, 10:10 AM
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,099 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F

You don't know enough about me to determine what I am capable of or not, nor do you have any idea how I was raised.

But he has an ilk hunting license.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-16-23, 10:22 AM
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Originally Posted by livedarklions
But he has an ilk hunting license.
I just spit Diet Pepsi on my keyboard. Thanks for that laugh.
Old 05-16-23, 10:36 AM

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 3982 Post(s)
Liked 7,433 Times in 2,989 Posts
Here in a nutshell is why you're so disliked on this forum.
To be fair, that's only one reason -- there are several.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 05-16-23, 10:53 AM
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
What I learned on BikeForums today:

You are intellectually--and perhaps morally--inferior if you rely on a smart phone to help you with everyday tasks. Likewise if you buy newly manufactured consumer products, such as jeans and bicycles, rather than using discarded ones from others' trash piles.
Likes For Broctoon:
Old 05-16-23, 10:59 AM

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18489 Post(s)
Liked 15,784 Times in 7,411 Posts
I don't struggle to understand anything at all.
I believe that. You portray yourself as one who has an easy time not understanding anything at all.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-16-23, 01:37 PM

I don't struggle to understand anything at all.
My pet mollusk doesn't either. But, he's really pleasant to be around.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 05-16-23, 02:08 PM

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3569 Post(s)
Liked 2,990 Times in 1,807 Posts
I don't struggle to understand anything at all. It is just that I actually understand what digital technology really is being used for by wealth and power, so I willfully choose to not participate in certain aspects of it. You and your ilk on the other hand, those generations raised by digital tech, are incapable of living without it, and you never will be.
I'd love to get you on our steam locomotive and watch you fail miserably at operating 1830s technology.
Old 05-17-23, 07:25 AM
Banned

Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 195 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
Sure digital tech is a tool, but for whom? You think you are holding a phone and a handy device for information, those who put it in your hand use it to keep track of everything you do and to control the answers to whatever information you seek. Aside from useless specifics, there is not much difference between humans, they are all the same, just like all ants are the same. If you do not know anything about everyone else, then you are just saying you know nothing about yourself, but that again is normal for most of you and your pals.
Old 05-17-23, 07:27 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by smd4
I'd love to get you on our steam locomotive and watch you fail miserably at operating 1830s technology.
I have, and have read, books on steam locomotives and steam engines, have you ??? I also regularly go to antique farm and engine shows and have a collection of vintage engines, do you??? The usual lame assumptions are all you and your pals have.
Old 05-17-23, 07:31 AM
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3722 Post(s)
Liked 5,590 Times in 2,829 Posts
We can see why the women left you but how did you lose the fastest bikes and cars?
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 05-17-23, 07:38 AM
Banned

Here in a nutshell is why you're so disliked on this forum. No matter what the topic, you will somehow find a way to proclaim that pretty much everyone but you is stupid.
This particular rationale (everything after "At least until...") for the generalized insult is especially stupid in itself, and demonstrates only your arrogant incompetence.
I am here, in this thread I started about bicycling, on a bicycle forum, because I have fun, in fact I am having a Blast !!! , so if you are not having fun guess what you should do ??? As I said somewhere else, if you go off topic, or change the topic from bicycling to "ME", you get what you deserve. I will let you try and figure that out for yourself even though your track record on such things is not good. I am rooting for you......... My cat can figure out what to do when it is not having fun, so I think you can do it too......
Old 05-17-23, 07:43 AM
Expired Member

Make no mistake, everyone is having fun feeding you rope.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 05-17-23, 08:18 AM

Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 77 Posts
I am here, in this thread I started about bicycling, on a bicycle forum, because I have fun, in fact I am having a Blast !!! , so if you are not having fun guess what you should do ??? As I said somewhere else, if you go off topic, or change the topic from bicycling to "ME", you get what you deserve. I will let you try and figure that out for yourself even though your track record on such things is not good. I am rooting for you......... My cat can figure out what to do when it is not having fun, so I think you can do it too......
Once the the usual trolls infect your thread it's best to just walk away. The moderators won't help you and you are just arguing with morons who are either retired with nothing to do or no-job losers with nothing to do. Enjoy your bike or give it to a co-op. Much better for your soul and a much better use of your time
Likes For RoadWearier:
Old 05-17-23, 08:19 AM

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Quoted: 3569 Post(s)
Liked 2,990 Times in 1,807 Posts
I have, and have read, books on steam locomotives and steam engines, have you ???.
Do you really want to go there? Do you really want to discuss the ICS library? McShane's? Grimshaw? Sinclair? The general interest train books from B&N don't count.
I also regularly go to antique farm and engine shows and have a collection of vintage engines, do you???
You go to shows?? And that gives you the knowledge?? Please. What does any of this have to do with the fact that you wouldn't know how to operate obsolete technology?
The usual lame assumptions are all you and your pals have.
It's not an "assumption." It's a fact. You don't have clue one on operating a simple steam locomotive. Wouldn't know the first step. And yet you and your pals can disparage folks who use modern technology?

Last edited by smd4; 05-17-23 at 08:25 AM.
Old 05-17-23, 08:33 AM

… there is not much difference between humans, they are all the same, just like all ants are the same.
In every ant colony, there’s always one ant that the other ants dislike because it’s always telling the other ants how stupid they are. Entomologists have determined that these unpopular ants are usually older and less intelligent than the rest of the colony, and they typically die alone and bitter.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 05-17-23, 08:34 AM
Expired Member

Hey, if walking away doesn't suit, you can unleash a barrage of potty mouth, showcase your extensive vocabulary!
Old 05-17-23, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by RoadWearier
Once the the usual trolls infect your thread it's best to just walk away. The moderators won't help you and you are just arguing with morons who are either retired with nothing to do or no-job losers with nothing to do. Enjoy your bike or give it to a co-op. Much better for your soul and a much better use of your time
Watch it, pal. I am a loser with a job. And a well-paying one at that. AND I smell a sock.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-17-23, 08:40 AM
Expired Member

^^^Actually a well documented sock and the mods let it slide. Bite the hand, right?
Old 05-17-23, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
^^^Actually a well documented sock and the mods let it slide. Bite the hand, right?
Seriously? I didn't know that. I just sensed it from the timing and tone of the post.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-17-23, 08:51 AM
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,099 Times in 5,054 Posts

Maybe if I explain this slowly to you, you might get it.

I agree that some of the attacks on you are unwarranted, and you are free to trade insults if that's what you think is going to float your boat. The issue is that when you answer some of these (in my opinion) rather silly attacks (I have no problem with you liking to fix up low quality discarded bikes), you manage to insult entire generations of people over silly things like the fact that they can use a smart phone effectively. If I insult you, call me stupid, I don't have a problem with that. But when you generalize that insult into essentially everyone who isn't you, you just come off as a rather silly troll.

And sorry, your endless railing on about everything after 1980 being an abomination of one sort or another is hilarious, so yes, I am having fun, it's just at your expense.

You like some unusual stuff. People talking about that are usually self-aware enough to realize that they're not going to convince other people otherwise. You, on the other hand, seem to be trying to promote yourself as some sort of enlightened guru deigning to talk to us idiots. It's endlessly entertaining, and you've provoked a bunch of people to poke you to hear the finny sounds you make.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-17-23, 09:10 AM
Expired Member

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Seriously? I didn't know that. I just sensed it from the timing and tone of the post.
Check for PM
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 05-17-23, 09:14 AM

Quoted: 8343 Post(s)
Liked 9,186 Times in 4,528 Posts
Sure digital tech is a tool, but for whom? You think you are holding a phone and a handy device for information, those who put it in your hand use it to keep track of everything you do and to control the answers to whatever information you seek. Aside from useless specifics, there is not much difference between humans, they are all the same, just like all ants are the same. If you do not know anything about everyone else, then you are just saying you know nothing about yourself, but that again is normal for most of you and your pals.
You have built this persona, this character on the forum and you have taken razzing, insults, and teasing for it. Some of it is not warranted and this is where your reaction just gets you in deeper. If you just let the small stuff roll right off the ones razzing you might back off. And even if they didn't you could just ignore it.

You started a thread and it seemed fun and you exposed a bit about yourself in a moment of (seeming) vulnerability. EricF and others (even I did) participated in the thread. It seemed like you had it figured out. Or at least you were making an attempt.

Then you insult EricF after he seemed to be trying to throw you the proverbial bone. And, of course, revert back to insulting everyone including humanity at large, and then sprinkle in a conspiracy theory or two.

If this is the experience you want to have with an on-line forum, then you have succeeded. It seems to me there are more pleasant ways to do it.
Likes For big john:
Old 05-17-23, 09:43 AM
Habitual User

Once again, your assumptions about who I am, what I know, and what I think are wrong.

On a biological level, I suppose you're right that there is not much difference between humans. However, I find it kind of sad that you think that the differences are "useless specifics". I've found that when you take the time to get to know about a person, and pay attention to the factors that make an individual human unique, you can learn some really amazing things.

Also, using "pals" instead of "ilk" doesn't really change the insulting arrogance of your misguided judgmental crap.

Last edited by Eric F; 05-17-23 at 10:22 AM.
Likes For Eric F:
Old 05-17-23, 09:45 AM
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Quoted: 10501 Post(s)
Liked 12,030 Times in 6,160 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
Do you really want to go there? Do you really want to discuss the ICS library? McShane's? Grimshaw? Sinclair? The general interest train books from B&N don't count. You go to shows?? And that gives you the knowledge?? Please. What does any of this have to do with the fact that you wouldn't know how to operate obsolete technology? It's not an "assumption." It's a fact. You don't have clue one on operating a simple steam locomotive. Wouldn't know the first step. And yet you and your pals can disparage folks who use modern technology?
Back during The Older Boy's obsession with trains, esp. steam locomotives, I found and bought an old copy of "Forney's Catechism of the Locomotive", and I gotta say, it made me respect my Great Grandfather who was an Engineer on the Pennsy!

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.