Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Looking for my first "serious" road bike--need advice and opinions

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Looking for my first "serious" road bike--need advice and opinions

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-16, 01:44 PM

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.3 C - 2014

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If there is a Performance Bike near you, check them out. You can get a Fuji Sportif/Roubaix with 105 for right at $1000. If you join Team Performance, you'll get at least 10% to spend on accessories.

Even if you don't like the Fuji's, you'll learn a little bit about what size and geometry is a better fit for you.

GH
Old 02-02-16, 02:22 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by bleumeon
I'm still a bit unfamiliar with different geometries but what is the primary difference between a racing geometry vs an endurance geometry? I don't mind a slightly aggressive geometry as long as its comfortable for casual and long distance rides.
The thing is that it's different for different people's bodies because of their genetics, body layout, flexibility, etc. Some people find that even though they want a relaxed ride a "race" style of bike fits their body better, others have the opposite and find that despite wanting a fast responding ride that an "endurance" geometry fits them better.

And even handling varies from one bike to the next. I find the Trek Domance (Endurance) to be a boring ride. The Specialized Diverge I also found boring. But the Specialized Roubaix (also Endurance) the last time I rode one I thought it was actually a little to twitchy and responsive for my taste.

This is one of the reasons why people usually buy the bike at a local shop, because it gives you a chance to test ride that bike and make sure that it fits you well and that you like how it rides, before buying it. This makes a much bigger difference in enjoyability of the bike than whether you get tiagra, 105, or ultegra, in my opinion.
Old 02-05-16, 11:16 AM
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,411 Times in 911 Posts
Much more bike used than new, just check it out thoroughly, or have a bike shop do it for you.
Tip or pay the shop to check it out (they sell new bikes, may not want to bother for free).

Example, New 2013 Felt AR3 w/stock components: MSRP $3199 (can be found new $2500) 18.87 lbs.

Craigslist Used 2013 Felt AR3, $1350. 16.86 lbs.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 09-24-20 at 10:27 AM.