Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

IKEA bikes have arrived in the US

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

IKEA bikes have arrived in the US

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-17, 03:08 PM

Bikes: Moots Routt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 20 Posts
I might just buy a IKEA separate trailer because they are cheap enough and I infrequently need one. But good to have.

https://www.buckyrides.com
Old 01-13-17, 04:12 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Ty0604
Most of my furniture is from Ikea. Still in great shape 6 years later.

This is how your Ikea bike will arrive....

That's a few less parts than the Ikea wardrobe I just put together...
Old 01-13-17, 06:50 AM
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1957 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 1,682 Posts
Originally Posted by jbucky1
i might just buy a ikea separate trailer because they are cheap enough and i infrequently need one. But good to have.

+1
Old 01-27-17, 04:32 AM
C*pt*i* Obvious

Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 44 Posts
Saw one of these in the store today.

For 4000RMB, ($630USD) there are better options.

The paint was rather ugly, flat primer white color, perhaps this will make it unattractive to thieves.

Product description
Frame: Aluminium, Polyester powder coating
Fork/ Other parts: Steel, Polyester powder coating
Didn't get to lift it, as it was attached to a stationary trainer.

Looks to be a solid bike, but wow, seriously overpriced.

My Dahon high-ten steel folder was 1000RMB.

I installed a front rack with a basket, panniers, a longer seatpost, and a better saddle. I also upgraded the rear rack, stock crankset, BB, and pedals with spares I had. My total investment is less than 1/3rd the price of the Ikea bike. It weighs about the same though, 15KG with racks and accessories.

The trailer looks nice, however I'm not so sure about the durability.

Last edited by SHBR; 01-27-17 at 05:17 AM.
Old 01-27-17, 05:07 AM
Banned.

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
if that bike is going to be anything like their furniture and appliances then it will be cheaply and poorly made with a short life expectancy and little if any spare parts, and won't be able to find parts for it at lbs's
Old 01-27-17, 05:53 AM
C*pt*i* Obvious

Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 44 Posts
Appears to use standard bicycle parts, the belt drive may be a bit difficult to find, and it could also be a bit challenging to replace the rear tire or tube.

My only gripe with it is the price.
Old 01-27-17, 06:23 AM
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1957 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 1,682 Posts
Originally Posted by jbucky1
I might just buy a IKEA separate trailer because they are cheap enough and I infrequently need one. But good to have.

Join the club. I love it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
013_kindlephoto-277086424.jpg (95.9 KB, 127 views)
Old 01-27-17, 08:41 AM

Bikes: Trek Madone 3.1

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For a college kid, or someone living in the city. this seems like s pretty good $300 investment to get around honestly, imo.
Old 01-27-17, 11:28 AM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BHamm9318
For a college kid, or someone living in the city. this seems like s pretty good $300 investment to get around honestly, imo.
it wont be very good if you cant find parts for it, if that is the case then you might as well buy a walmart bike if you want a new one, personally i would go into the used marketplace for that kind of money
Old 01-27-17, 12:35 PM

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Lynskeyman
if that bike is going to be anything like their furniture and appliances then it will be cheaply and poorly made with a short life expectancy and little if any spare parts, and won't be able to find parts for it at lbs's
I'm convinced that people that bandy around the "cheap, short lived" Ikea mantra either never shop there, or are useless at actually constructing things.

it wont be very good if you cant find parts for it, if that is the case then you might as well buy a walmart bike if you want a new one, personally i would go into the used marketplace for that kind of money
There's your crank and drive: CDS eco Linie & CONTI® DRIVE SYSTEM ? Power Transmission Group ? ContiTech AG. Heck, you can even change to 39t gearing if you don't like 42t.
Can't verify exactly what the rear hub is, but it is definitely SRAM, and this is seemingly their only 2-spd auto: https://www.sram.com/sram/urban/products/automatix
Front brakes are Tektro wire disc.

Thing is made up of a pile of brand name parts. I really have no reason to believe that there is much specialty sizing or manufacture on it that makes it any harder to maintain than any other inexpensive LBS bike.
Old 01-27-17, 01:46 PM

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18470 Post(s)
Liked 15,735 Times in 7,397 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
I'm convinced that people that bandy around the "cheap, short lived" Ikea mantra either never shop there, or are useless at actually constructing things.

+1. I have a bunch of old Ikea furniture that has help up very well. A few pieces were bought second hand by someone who used to live with me.

In 2001, when I started my life over after taking a couple years off from the working world, I was on a budget and bought some kitchen stuff from Ikea, including cool place settings. I still have most of the plates, cups and bowls to this very day.
Old 01-27-17, 03:41 PM

Bikes: 2017 Cannondale CAAD12 105, 2014 Giant Escape City

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I went to the SLADDA (Ikea bike) web page and saw this warning:

WARNING - Serious or fatal crashing injuries can occur from furniture tip-over. To prevent this furniture must be permanently fixed to the wall. Secure it! Learn how to prevent furniture tip-over accidents.
So to avoid accidents, your Ikea bike must be "permanently fixed to the wall".
Old 01-27-17, 08:40 PM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wow, this forum is full of wack jobs.

why yes mr know it all, i have been to ikea and most of the stuff they sell is made of cheap quality materials, furniture made of particleboard, pressed wood, fiberboard, plywood, cardboard, and plastic, covered in laminate which seems like paper, all of this sort of stuff can be found at walmart! they do sell solid wood furniture but they're far and few between since most people who shop there are looking for low cost stuff. i dont know much about their appliances but i would rather stay with name brand. heres an inside look from owners-https://www.productreview.com.au/p/ikea.html
Old 01-27-17, 08:46 PM

wow, this forum is full of wack jobs.
Or trolls
Old 01-28-17, 09:07 AM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Or trolls
only trolling i see here is from you that made the comment you did
Old 01-28-17, 09:32 AM

only trolling i see here is from you that made the comment you did
I have provided a rundown of the main components, from reputable, standardized manufacturers. It is on you to back up your claims that it is full of cheap, non-standardized crap that is likely to fall apart and be irreplaceable.
Old 01-28-17, 08:17 PM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
so this isnt trolling to you? too bad you lose because it is trolling when you say things about other people in which you have NO clue as to who i am or who you are saying your BS to. so go play your little games with someone else, because ive seen youve done that in the past with other members
Old 01-28-17, 10:37 PM
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3100 Post(s)
Liked 6,639 Times in 3,802 Posts
Enough of this type of back and forth bantering. Lynskeyman please leave this thread.
Old 01-28-17, 10:40 PM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill
Enough of this type of back and forth bantering. Lynskeyman please leave this thread.
he started it, so since youre obviously friends why not both of you leave first?
Old 01-28-17, 10:52 PM

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1127 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 205 Posts
he started it, so since youre obviously friends why not both of you leave first?
Don't worry about those guys, they're like that, they start issues then call you a troll when it's obviously they were trolling first. There's quite a few of these here, not a real friendly place by some.

I own a Lynskey myself, a Peloton, a great bike.

By the way, I'm not so sure I would buy a bike from Ikea either. You mentioned poor quality "wood" components, I concur, I've been to one of their warehouses and the "wood" stuff is nothing more then laminated paper covering that is easily marred which leaves the particle board exposed underneath it and it will look nasty, this is the same sort of crap you find at Walmart, Ashley Furniture and other low end furniture places.

I did have a friend who equipped his kitchen with Ikea appliances because he liked the look of the stuff, but found out after the refrigerator started to break about 5 years later the stuff was made by Whirlpool and and the tech said it was low end Whirlpool components dressed up on the outside and inside to make it look good, and they do look really nice. He also shortly after the frig failed the pump failed on his dishwasher and couldn't get the part even though Whirlpool made it as well. Needless to say my friend will never buy from Ikea again even though the stove top seemed to be just fine so far after 7 or 8 years. What's weird is this is the only person I know that bought appliances from Ikea, they don't seem to be real popular.

The bike thing, I don't know, I haven't seen one in person but in the pictures it looks clunky and junky for $499, I think a person could do far better than that for the price of the Ikea bike.

Last edited by rekmeyata; 01-28-17 at 11:04 PM.
Old 01-28-17, 11:05 PM
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3100 Post(s)
Liked 6,639 Times in 3,802 Posts
Closed

Last edited by cb400bill; 01-29-17 at 01:49 PM.