Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Zwift racer caught cheating

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Zwift racer caught cheating

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-22, 02:48 PM

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked 786 Times in 266 Posts
Is there evidence of doping ?
Old 12-10-22, 05:05 PM
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2634 Post(s)
Liked 5,777 Times in 2,977 Posts
Originally Posted by Tomm Willians
Is there evidence of doping ?
The fact that he was so blatant points to a real dope. Rim shot.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 12-10-22, 06:46 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8354 Post(s)
Liked 9,197 Times in 4,532 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Well there once was a guy named Lance….
Lance made what, $20 million per year? These Zwift and Strava cheaters are just silly.
Old 12-10-22, 09:44 PM

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 685 Times in 330 Posts
It's not multi-millions, but there are some five-figure prize pools on offer for Zwift Racing (and more recently, MyWhoosh racing).

Oh and there's a virtual rainbow jersey on the line also! 😂 😂 😂

DC Rainmaker does a good write-up if anyone is interested in the cheating specifics:

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2022/12/...qualifier.html
Likes For tempocyclist:
Old 12-11-22, 11:20 AM
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 518 Posts
Originally Posted by popeye
I started reading this thread without noticing the authors. Half way through this post I thought this has to be Robert. Yup
Sorry. I'll try to do better.
Likes For RChung:
Old 12-11-22, 01:50 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4505 Post(s)
Liked 4,992 Times in 3,086 Posts
Speaking of realistic; how do we know you are real and not an AI generated robo-poster?

But then you have far more “I” than the cheater-pants featured in the thread.
Not sure about that, lol
I'm happy enough as a middling Cat C Zwift racer. The good thing about Zwift is that whatever level you are at, there are always extremely close competitors, whether genuine or not. So you just end up racing against "entities" that are closely matched to your own performance. On a good day I can get a Zwift Power podium in cat C or hang on for dear life in a cat B group peloton! I don't really have much incentive to cheat in my position of mediocrity.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 12-11-22, 02:55 PM
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Tens shocked.

And then there is Digital EPO on Strava. LAME!!

https://cycling.today/digital-epo-ho...s-look-better/

Last edited by Lombard; 12-11-22 at 02:59 PM.
Old 12-11-22, 04:04 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 2730 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 353 Posts
There is a lack of roasting the UCI for promoting the idea of a Zwift e-sport with commentators and spectators in this thread.

He'd be better off motor doping in a real race, too many nerds on Zwift obsessing over numbers
Likes For LarrySellerz:
Old 12-11-22, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
There is a lack of roasting the UCI for promoting the idea of a Zwift e-sport with commentators and spectators in this thread.

He'd be better off motor doping in a real race, too many nerds on Zwift obsessing over numbers
I would say most (if not all) competitive Zwift racers are also real life racers. It would be very unusual to compete at an elite level in esports and not race outdoors. Jay Vine is a prime example i.e. esport world champion and World Tour Pro. At a much lower level all the Zwift racers I know are also keen club racers.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 12-11-22, 09:37 PM

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 7073 Post(s)
Liked 11,153 Times in 4,763 Posts
Zwift isn't really racing...So how could a person cheat?
Likes For Koyote:
Old 12-11-22, 11:15 PM

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 3986 Post(s)
Liked 7,441 Times in 2,993 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
It's like cheating at solitaire.
Old 12-12-22, 05:50 AM
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
It's like lying to yourself. Plenty of people do it.
Old 12-12-22, 06:35 AM
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22685 Post(s)
Liked 9,017 Times in 4,198 Posts
It's a video game that you control with your legs, so it's still a competition.
Likes For datlas:
Old 12-12-22, 06:52 AM

So if someone states in Zwift that they weigh 60 kg when they actually weigh 100 kg, that's not cheating then just because it's a virtual platform? The race may be virtual, but the cheating is still real.
Old 12-12-22, 07:42 AM
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 142 Post(s)
Quoted: 2702 Post(s)
Liked 3,266 Times in 1,712 Posts
What really is racing, in your opinion? Asking as a zwift racer and outdoor racer of 14 years.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 12-12-22, 07:45 AM

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 7073 Post(s)
Liked 11,153 Times in 4,763 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
What really is racing, in your opinion? Asking as a zwift racer and outdoor racer of 14 years.
The second thing you mentioned. You call it "outdoor racing," I call it "racing."
Old 12-12-22, 07:59 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
I see Zwift as a video game run by a poor model or a very good training platform. Real racing? Not in my mind.
Old 12-12-22, 08:37 AM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4252 Post(s)
Liked 2,966 Times in 1,822 Posts
Zwift has been trying to get e-Racing into the Olympics. This sure isn't going to help that mission.
Old 12-12-22, 08:45 AM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4252 Post(s)
Liked 2,966 Times in 1,822 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Not sure about that, lol
I'm happy enough as a middling Cat C Zwift racer. The good thing about Zwift is that whatever level you are at, there are always extremely close competitors, whether genuine or not. So you just end up racing against "entities" that are closely matched to your own performance. On a good day I can get a Zwift Power podium in cat C or hang on for dear life in a cat B group peloton! I don't really have much incentive to cheat in my position of mediocrity.
Even though I'm a similar level to you (I have a bad habit of liking 20 minute hill climb races too much, so I'm perpetually a low B even though my overall power profile, power for anything under 10 minutes or beyond ~24 minutes, and results all scream Cat C), I've played with the idea of dual recording, since I have the equipment, if for no other reason than to show I'm really putting out the power I say I am, not that anyone cares (again, incredibly low B). So far, it's seemed too much work to do it - my streaming took long enough to figure out, and that's mainly so I have recordings for races to go back to for route recon in the future and show that I'm real dude sweating and panting my ass off.

When I was a high C (or before that a high D), I cared a lot about sandbaggers and cruisers (and they do still exist with Cat Enforcement - they just have to be more careful), but have never really cared about full on cheaters (except those folks who could change their height/weight mid-race). Whether or not they're cheating to get where they are, they're all just a bunch of digital rabbits that push me to go harder than I can without someone to chase. Now, as someone hoping to be pack fodder, I care even less about people cheating in my races as I'm unlikely to see them anyway.
Old 12-12-22, 08:59 AM

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Quoted: 1284 Post(s)
Liked 1,405 Times in 714 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
So if someone states in Zwift that they weigh 60 kg when they actually weigh 100 kg, that's not cheating then just because it's a virtual platform? The race may be virtual, but the cheating is still real.
surely they require some weight verification? or it seems like the hack this guy did is far from the easiest way to cheat!!
Old 12-12-22, 09:43 AM
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4760 Post(s)
Liked 1,539 Times in 1,008 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
It's a video game that you control with your legs, so it's still a competition.
Lots of these out there:

Old 12-12-22, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by mschwett
surely they require some weight verification? or it seems like the hack this guy did is far from the easiest way to cheat!!
Only at the highest level when money and titles are involved. There's nothing to stop the average Zwifter from lying about their weight or height to gain performance. It's the easiest cheat out there if that kind of thing floats their boat. Personally I don't think all that many people do intentionally cheat in Zwift, but there is no real consistency with trainer power calibration and relatively small errors can make a significant difference to your relative performance. For example when I upgraded my trainer last year I lost approx 5% power due to the different trainer calibration. That instantly made life much harder in my cat B group rides/races. It was like going from peak form to my lowest base level overnight. I can also considerably boost my virtual power by switching from hub power to crank power measurement (again approx +4-5% with drivetrain losses). These small percentages don't sound like much, but when you are only putting out a few hundred watts on average it can make all the difference. For me to gain 10W on FTP might take months of dedicated effort. So I don't take Zwift performances seriously at all. It's a very close field and there will always be many competitors who have an apparent advantage that is just a function of their equipment, user settings and calibration. I just try to make my own data as genuine as I can for my own sanity. In big online race events (eg. virtual Haute Route) I tend to place roughly as I do in real life i.e. top third of the overall field. So that's probably an indication that it all tends to level out if you are honest. I don't actually do very much Zwift racing as I'm a low cat B rider with no chance of winning at that level. Not getting dropped from the main group is my usual goal! If I drop to cat C I can compete, but there's nearly always someone sandbagging and technically I should be in Cat B anyway. It would be better if they actually had more categories as the difference from Cat C to B is way too big in my opinion.
Old 12-12-22, 12:36 PM
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10507 Post(s)
Liked 12,050 Times in 6,171 Posts
I think the best way to approach racing on Zwift is not to take it too seriously. It's a game, there are rules which apply to everyone - so whether it models the physical universe correctly is unimportant. You play the game according to the rules of the game. In the end, if you win a race, what have you won? A little gold colored icon on Zwiftpower. If you're not being paid to do it, you should be doing it for the entertainment and the workout. If you're cheating in a game with strangers that doesn't pay you any money, there's something wrong in your head.

But, you know, "It's a game" applies to all racing for which you don't get paid.

Note the first line of my signature....

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 12-12-22, 02:27 PM
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 4437 Post(s)
Liked 4,089 Times in 2,727 Posts
Well there once was a guy named Lance….
and probably 90% of the rest of the peloton at that time. While yes what Lance did was wrong and yes he was doping he still beat out the other dopers. Winner "none" is ridiculous if everyone was doing it and one of them beat all the others well there you have it a winner. If there was was someone who wasn't doping then I guess make them the winner and give them the jersey.
Old 12-12-22, 03:50 PM
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2634 Post(s)
Liked 5,777 Times in 2,977 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
and probably 90% of the rest of the peloton at that time. While yes what Lance did was wrong and yes he was doping he still beat out the other dopers. Winner "none" is ridiculous if everyone was doing it and one of them beat all the others well there you have it a winner. If there was was someone who wasn't doping then I guess make them the winner and give them the jersey.
Let’s see. I was responding to a post of how could a person feel proud of taking the podium if they know they cheated to get there. The question was not, because everyone was doing it, was it right? It was a moral/ethical question. I am fully aware of the history of that time and what it took to win, but that was not the question or issue I was addressing. If don’t understand the difference, that is not my problem.

Likes For rsbob:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.