Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Help me with TIRES - 4 questions

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Help me with TIRES - 4 questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-11, 10:54 AM

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3236 Post(s)
Liked 3,883 Times in 1,443 Posts
Originally Posted by usndoc2011
3) size- I have commuted on 23s and 32s, and honestly, I'm not totally convinced there is an astounding amount of a difference (althought there probably is some). I feel more comfortable with bigger tires: the wheels seem more stout, they seem to tackle bumps a little better, I have less heartburn over potholes and curbs because I'm not as worried about a pinch, and they do seem to absorb a little more of the road. That said, the main advantage of larger tires seems to be that they can be run a slightly lower pressures for a softer ride and more traction without risking a pinch flat as much. I prefer to keep my tires maximally inflated (110psi on my 28s) because I want a quick ride and I don't want a pinch flat, so the ride quality is only slightly improved over the 23s I ran when I first started commuting. As far as speed and keeping up with riding buddies, at least for tires at or below 32, I don't think that the tires will be what hold you back. I've been crushed by dudes on knobby tired mountain bikes, and I'm pretty quick.
The key to getting benefits from wider tires is finding the optimal pressure, which varies depending on your weight. Generally, a 700x28 tire at 110 psi is probably even harsher than a 700x23 tire at the same pressure for most riders, and possibly slower in many circumstances than a 700x28 at lower pressure. This article from Bicycle Quarterly has a very helpful chart to help you figure out the ideal tire pressure.

I'm also a speed freak, and so I'm very reluctant to give up tire pressure on smooth pavement. On the other hand, I've learned from CX racing that on irregular surfaces you get less rolling resistance from lower pressure. When I first got my 700x28 GP 4 Seasons I grudgingly tried them at the 95 psi that I read somewhere as recommended. That worked pretty well for speed, but I was still feeling the bumps from all the fall debris in the road. The article above suggested that 95 psi rear/80 psi front was best for me. Though skeptical, I gave it a try. My experience is that at 80 psi I started feeling very slightly slower, but at 85 it felt at least as fast as 95 and the bumps were softer. I'm experimenting now between 80 and 85 to get it dialed in just right.
Old 12-06-11, 11:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Speaking about good deals from the UK, Wiggle has the Conti Gatorskin tire and tube set (2 tires + 2 tubes) for $69 and the GP 4 Seasons (2 tires + 2 tubes) for $90.
Old 12-06-11, 12:03 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
For commuting, finding a tire that wears well, offers some flat protection and provides good traction and comfort is a priority. As other have recommended, Gatorskins and GP4S in the 28mm width are a good option. Schwalbe Marathon Supremes are a little more substantial, and are well liked by the touring crowd.

For faster group rides (we're talking 26-27 mph cruising speed), you need a skinny racing tire. I used to use Michelin PR3, but now like Conti GP4000S in 23mm. Racing tires wear out much faster and puncture more easily than tires suitable for commuting.
Old 12-06-11, 01:02 PM
muu

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
starting to feel there's a lot of luck involved with these things.

I replaced Vittoria Randonneurs that came w/ my bike with Schwalbe Marathon Supremes since I wore through the tread; first week of use I had flats every other day. Since then I've had no problems, but improvements on grip isn't huge and neither was speed gain of any sort. To be fair there's a ton of goathead in this area, and I definitely saw a few of them on the tires.

Most all of these options people are putting down on this thread will work great, pick your favorite brand and get riding. Just make sure you have a pump and spare tube for the inevitable freak flat that occurs.
Old 12-06-11, 01:23 PM

Bikes: 2020 Kona Rove ST, 2020 Kona Woo, 2013 Cannondale Caad 10 Rival, 2020 All-City Super Professional, 2023 Kona Honzo, 1991 Bridgestone CB-1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 4 Posts
I always ride with a pump and spare tube. Sorting through everyone's responses so far, I feel like I'm leaning toward the gatorskins. No one answered my question from my last post though: steel or foldable?
Old 12-06-11, 01:27 PM

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3236 Post(s)
Liked 3,883 Times in 1,443 Posts
Originally Posted by WestMass
I always ride with a pump and spare tube. Sorting through everyone's responses so far, I feel like I'm leaning toward the gatorskins. No one answered my question from my last post though: steel or foldable?
The big difference between steel and foldable beads is the weight. For the Gatorskins it's only about 50 grams, so that's probably not very important.
Old 12-06-11, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Andy_K
The big difference between steel and foldable beads is the weight. For the Gatorskins it's only about 50 grams, so that's probably not very important.
There are a couple more differences. Folding bead tires are portable, so you can pack a spare. They're also easier to get on and off your rims. Wire bead tires typically (though not always) have stronger sidewalls. Personally, I prefer folding beads.
Old 12-06-11, 01:47 PM
imi
aka Timi

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 103 Posts
28mm Gatorskins are wire only
Old 12-06-11, 01:52 PM
imi
aka Timi

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Originally Posted by jeffpoulin
Speaking about good deals from the UK, Wiggle has the Conti Gatorskin tire and tube set (2 tires + 2 tubes) for $69 and the GP 4 Seasons (2 tires + 2 tubes) for $90.
Great deal. Strangely enough a year or so ago Wiggle stopped shipping tires to Sweden (all of europe?). I mailed them and was told this had to do with "licensing issues" whatever that means *scratches head*

But they do send them to the USA, right?

I buy my tires from Chain Reaction Cycles in the UK now (they have no licensing issues apparently), but those packets with 2 tires and 2 tubes from Wiggle are the ****!

Last edited by imi; 12-06-11 at 01:56 PM.
Old 12-06-11, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by imi
Great deal. Strangely enough a year or so ago Wiggle stopped shipping tires to Sweden (all of europe?). I mailed them and was told this had to do with "licensing issues" whatever that means *scratches head*

But they do send them to the USA, right?

I buy my tires from Chain Reaction Cycles in the UK now (they have no licensing issues apparently), but those packets with 2 tires and 2 tubes from Wiggle are the ****!
I live in France and they ship to me, so it's not all of Europe. CRC is nice too since they offer free shipping.
Old 12-06-11, 03:22 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well it sounds like having the most puncture resistant tires isnt a necessity since you haven’t had issues with the road tires your using now.

You will feel a difference in a heavier tire but if your mainly doing a 14mi commute everyday, I wouldn’t worry about it. On a century/longer ride a flat will cost you much more time than some added weight/risistance. If you have wheels on the heavier side the percent of added weight from the tire isnt as noticeable as if you are running light wheels with heavy tires.

Depends on the group ride Id guess. I train on 25c heavy tires on my road or cross bike for everything minus road races. Ive never thought that a wider, slightly heavier tire was an issue as long as your legs are as strong as everyone elses out there. Then when you go down to 23c light, sticky tires, youll feel faster

Id say it sounds like your looking for a more fast than puncture or comfort. The gatorskins are pretty good, though ive had more than a few fail due to sidewall issues. Everyone has opinions on what tire they like and why but youll really have to order some and test them yourself. Personally for the price/puncture resistance I like the freedom thickslick.
Old 12-06-11, 04:56 PM
imi
aka Timi

Originally Posted by audi666
The gatorskins are pretty good, though ive had more than a few fail due to sidewall issues.
Gator Hardshells are the same as Gatorskins but with additional sidewall protection. fwiw, they are my paved road touring tire of choice now, but I commute on regular Gatorskins during the summer half year.

edit: I just tested ordering tires from Wiggle, and apparently there no longer is an export issue to Sweden. Good News!

Last edited by imi; 12-06-11 at 05:04 PM.
Old 12-06-11, 05:15 PM

Bikes: 2002 Litespeed Vortex - 2007 Trek Madone 5.9 - 2004 Redline Conquest Pro - Specialized S-Works Festina Team Model - 93 Cannondale M 800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I certainly have my opinions, some would say biased. We have a number of options that you may want to consider, some that have not been mentioned. I'm happy to throw them out there, but only if you want to consider Schwalbe as an option.

As for the Gatorskins, they are a nice tire but personally when I used to ride them I found them lacking a bit in their grip, but then that's a big part of what makes the Gatorskin a long lasting tire. As for the weight issue, I'm not a weight weenie but I don't like my tires to feel heavy and sluggish, so I definitely pay attention to the weight numbers on a tire. As an example the Marathon in a 700 x 25 is 520 grams which to me is too heavy, especially for a group ride tire. For the sake of comparison, the Marathon Supreme is 310 grams for a 700x28 tire; More volume and 200gm/tire lighter than the standard Marathon 700x25 (nearly 1/2 pound per tire difference), the price per tire difference is pretty substantial too however.

I guess the bottom line is, you have to decide what are the most important attributes (weight, durability, price, puncture protection, grip) and then start honing in on your choices. At a high price you can have it all, as the price drops you start making compromises.
Old 12-06-11, 10:05 PM
Hrumph!

Bikes: 2007 Dahon Cadenza w/ Alfine IGH11, modified MEC Desire w/Alfine IGH8,+ 2 ebikes: Bionx PL350 & 36V eZee FHB/Tidalforce frames.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WestMass
Steel. Foldable wasn't a concern worth the added cost.
Old 12-07-11, 12:55 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just to add my $0.02 to the conversation. My commuter came with Bontrager Race Lite Hardcase tires. They seemed a bit stiff, so I bought Some Continental gatorskins. I have zero flats on my original tires in over a year of commuting on them. I had 2 flats on the contis in two weeks, after which I switched back to the bontragers and have had zero flats since. All that being said, I feel like the only guy in the world that has had bad luck with them, everyone else seems to love them. Also have experience with Specialized Gatorskins (no flats ever, but a really harsh ride). Kenda somethings (I think they were quicks?) that were perfectly fine tires, and pretty inexpensive, but nothing special. And Fatboys on my mountain bike (I love those tires).

If you polled all of the posters on the commuting forum, you'd probably end up with about 80% of people riding some form of Schwalbe or Continental tire, so those are probably worth looking at in depth.