Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Waxing Chain Just Trend or usefull?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Waxing Chain Just Trend or usefull?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-23, 03:56 PM
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5035 Post(s)
Liked 8,237 Times in 3,894 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
I am, and I do, but it would be hard to think of a less interesting experiment, except maybe testing different brands of tooth-paste.
It seems that Zero Friction Cycling has done that mind-numbing testing for us, and concluded that wax is good stuff for bike chains, for both efficiency and longevity.

Personally, I don't care much about variations in longevity. I'm lucky if I ride 5k miles per year, and that's shared among 5 different bikes (including trainer). I'm not burning through chains fast enough for me to give a damn about chain lifespan. For me, I like drip-wax because it's easy, clean, and data says I get an extra couple watts of zoomies when I use it.
Old 09-11-23, 04:06 PM

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 677 Post(s)
Liked 427 Times in 257 Posts
Originally Posted by lupo68288
Hello,
I'm currently thinking to wax my new bike (arroves in one month). Currently I only use Lube on all of my bikes, but I have heard, that waxing is better than lubing, because of the consumption of chains. It waxing really good or is it just a new trend and don't have any advantages? What are your experiences with waxing your chain and would you recommend it? And what chain wax do you use?
Its very popular right now, but waxing has been around for decades. There is no question that a good wax lubricant is the gold standard for chain lubrication. It will extend the life of your drivetrain and increase efficiency. The only question for an individual user is whether the process is worth their time and trouble, or whether you have some specific application that makes waxing impractical.

FWIW, Both my road bikes and my CX/Gravel bike all sport waxed chains, and I've seen the benefits.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 09-11-23, 04:14 PM
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3502 Post(s)
Liked 3,648 Times in 1,827 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
For me, I like drip-wax because it's easy, clean, and data says I get an extra couple watts of zoomies when I use it.
Same for me, for the same reasons. I'm using Flower Power drip wax. I bought two bottles last year, still haven't used up the first one.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 09-11-23, 04:16 PM
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2261 Post(s)
Liked 3,480 Times in 1,826 Posts
Originally Posted by Lombard
i have to dispute this as well. Back when I used wax lubes, I was lucky to get 2-3K miles out of my chains. Now thst I use oil based lubes, I get 8-10K miles.
May I ask how/what you used, and how you applied it?

I had the 180° opposite experience, and it would be interesting to try to reconcile two sets of admittedly anecdotal observations.

Here are a few of my very anecdotal observations:

1. Using a new chain and completely removing the oil it is packaged in is fairly critical. If you don't get all of the oil off, the wax doesn't adhere.

2. If you use mineral spirits to clean off the oil, the more you can remove the mineral spirits, the longer the first waxing will last. (I found this out the hard way, because I reasoned that mineral spirits was similar to paraffin, so its presence shouldn't matter, but it did. It made the wax on the chain softer, and it didn't last very long.)

3. I just melt canning wax (paraffin) in a little crock pot, and dump the chain in, and swirl it around occasionally while it sits in there for about 30 min. Then I pull it out, hang it on a nail to cool off, and then put it on the bike. The new wax should make the chain stiff enough to thread through the front derailleur. I thread it through everything, and then put the quick-link on, and pedal it on the stand for a minute or two while I shift through all the gears, and it is ready to go. With no water on it, I usually change the chain after 200 to 300 miles. If I get fine moon-dust in it, and it starts to make noise, I change it at the end of the ride. I have 2 or 3 chains going at one time, so I don't have to melt wax that frequently.

4. I've found lubes like White Lightning to be worthless.

5. I've used Squirt, which is just a mixture of water, paraffin, and slack wax (a paraffin synthetic precursor). I've found it works ok, but has a tendency to ball up into snot-like clumps, which annoys me, so I only use it as a backup.
Old 09-11-23, 04:21 PM
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

I've used Squirt, which is just a mixture of water, paraffin, and slack wax (a paraffin synthetic precursor). I've found it works ok, but has a tendency to ball up into snot-like clumps, which annoys me, so I only use it as a backup.
My experience with Silca Super Secret drip-wax is not at all like this.
Old 09-11-23, 04:24 PM

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3560 Post(s)
Liked 2,978 Times in 1,801 Posts
I did. "Tests show blah, blah, blah". No, I have yet to hear from anybody here that they can get north of 10K miles using hot wax.
But that’s not what you said.

Goalpost, consider yourself moved.

Many people here have said their chains last longer using wax. So either you didn’t read them, or you’re deliberately ignoring them.
Old 09-11-23, 04:57 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4490 Post(s)
Liked 4,961 Times in 3,067 Posts
i have to dispute this as well. Back when I used wax lubes, I was lucky to get 2-3K miles out of my chains. Now thst I use oil based lubes, I get 8-10K miles.
If you only managed 2-3k miles on wax then you did something wrong. But seems like oil based lubes work for you. I still have one road bike using an oil based lube, but it requires considerably more effort to keep the drivetrain clean. So I’m planning to switch it back to wax over winter. Chain wear has never been a big issue for me with either lube. But wax is definitely cleaner.
Old 09-11-23, 05:16 PM
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
But that’s not what you said.

Goalpost, consider yourself moved.

Many people here have said their chains last longer using wax. So either you didn’t read them, or you’re deliberately ignoring them.
Longer than what? Numbers please.
Old 09-11-23, 05:18 PM

Longer than what? Numbers please.
That’s ok. Forget it.
Old 09-11-23, 05:19 PM
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

May I ask how/what you used, and how you applied it?

I had the 180° opposite experience, and it would be interesting to try to reconcile two sets of admittedly anecdotal observations.

Here are a few of my very anecdotal observations:

1. Using a new chain and completely removing the oil it is packaged in is fairly critical. If you don't get all of the oil off, the wax doesn't adhere.

2. If you use mineral spirits to clean off the oil, the more you can remove the mineral spirits, the longer the first waxing will last. (I found this out the hard way, because I reasoned that mineral spirits was similar to paraffin, so its presence shouldn't matter, but it did. It made the wax on the chain softer, and it didn't last very long.)

3. I just melt canning wax (paraffin) in a little crock pot, and dump the chain in, and swirl it around occasionally while it sits in there for about 30 min. Then I pull it out, hang it on a nail to cool off, and then put it on the bike. The new wax should make the chain stiff enough to thread through the front derailleur. I thread it through everything, and then put the quick-link on, and pedal it on the stand for a minute or two while I shift through all the gears, and it is ready to go. With no water on it, I usually change the chain after 200 to 300 miles. If I get fine moon-dust in it, and it starts to make noise, I change it at the end of the ride. I have 2 or 3 chains going at one time, so I don't have to melt wax that frequently.

4. I've found lubes like White Lightning to be worthless.

5. I've used Squirt, which is just a mixture of water, paraffin, and slack wax (a paraffin synthetic precursor). I've found it works ok, but has a tendency to ball up into snot-like clumps, which annoys me, so I only use it as a backup.
If you look back at my post you replied to, you will see it was a reply to a poster who claimed he got better longevity using drip wax. You are talking about hot wax.
Old 09-11-23, 05:19 PM
Sock Puppet

That’s ok. Forget it.
No numbers? Hmmmm.
Old 09-11-23, 05:22 PM
ignominious poltroon

Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 09-11-23, 05:24 PM
Sock Puppet

More like gaslighting on your part.
Old 09-11-23, 05:28 PM

No numbers? Hmmmm.
Let's get the goal post back to where it started, shall we?

YOU DIDN'T ASK FOR NUMBERS WHEN YOU WROTE THIS:

I have yet to see any hot waxers claim longer chain life.
So either you haven't read the posts here that are claiming a longer chain life, or you've deliberately ignored them. I'm going with the latter. Neither one is a good look for you.
Old 09-11-23, 05:33 PM
Sock Puppet

Let's get the goal post back to where it started, shall we?

YOU DIDN'T ASK FOR NUMBERS WHEN YOU WROTE THIS:

So either you haven't read the posts here that are claiming a longer chain life, or you've deliberately ignored them. I'm going with the latter. Neither one is a good look for you.
Vague claims need to be followed up on. It's not moving goal posts. Is it really difficult to answer how many miles you get out of a chain?
Old 09-11-23, 05:35 PM
ignominious poltroon

> 5,000 miles on (hot) waxed chains

vs

< 1,500 using conventional chain lubes
Old 09-11-23, 05:36 PM

vs

He’ll ignore that.
Old 09-11-23, 05:38 PM
ignominious poltroon

I've tried to give you the benefit of the doubt and have described what I do in detail, as well as the limitations I have observed.

How on earth can you interpret that as "gas-lighting"? Do you know what the term means?
Old 09-11-23, 05:38 PM

Vague claims need to be followed up on.
You’re the one making the claim about never seeing anyone claim longer chain life. Pointing out people who make the claim seems, well, pointless.
Old 09-11-23, 05:42 PM
Habitual User

Vague claims need to be followed up on. It's not moving goal posts. Is it really difficult to answer how many miles you get out of a chain?
You may be in the habit of logging your chain mileage, but I'd bet a reasonable amount of money that most people do not keep track very closely at all. Also, the variations in riding conditions between one rider and the next make those kinds of comparisons fairly useless. You say you get more mileage out of an oil-based lube compared to the wax-based lube you used years ago. Polaris says he is getting more miles from his waxed chain. Both of these can be 100% accurate. IMO, the best way to make a true comparison between lube performance is in a controlled environment, such as what ZFC has done. ZFC's results are pretty clear. No relocation of goalposts required.
Old 09-11-23, 05:45 PM
Sock Puppet

Originally Posted by Eric F
You may be in the habit of logging your chain mileage, but I'd bet a reasonable amount of money that most people do not keep track very closely at all. Also, the variations in riding conditions between one rider and the next make those kinds of comparisons fairly useless. You say you get more mileage out of an oil-based lube compared to the wax-based lube you used years ago. Polaris says he is getting more miles from his waxed chain. Both of these can be 100% accurate. IMO, the best way to make a true comparison between lube performance is in a controlled environment, such as what ZFC has done. ZFC's results are pretty clear. No relocation of goalposts required.
Granted what you are saying about riding consitions ia true.

However, if you aren't logging your mileage, how do you know chain lube method A lasts longer than chain lube method B?
Old 09-11-23, 05:46 PM
Sock Puppet

vs

Very good! Now that wasn't so difficult, was it?
Old 09-11-23, 05:53 PM
ignominious poltroon

Very good! Now that wasn't so difficult, was it?
I've said it several times previously, and have provided exhaustive detail, including pros and cons, of the procedure I have used.

You, on the other hand, have provided only one sentence snippy dismissals and a false accusation of "gas-lighting."

Is it really that difficult for you?

Much more importantly, I haven't had to replace a cassette or chainring since I started waxing.

The "> 5K" is a lower-bound estimate, btw, because I run at least two chains in rotation, and I last replaced the chains when I got a second wheel-set and a new cassette as a conservative and probably needless precaution. (At that time I also purchased a replacement for the cassette for wheel-set #1, but it turned out there was no evidence that I needed it.)
Old 09-11-23, 06:33 PM
Sock Puppet

I've said it several times previously, and have provided exhaustive detail, including pros and cons, of the procedure I have used.

You, on the other hand, have provided only one sentence snippy dismissals and a false accusation of "gas-lighting."

Is it really that difficult for you?

Much more importantly, I haven't had to replace a cassette or chainring since I started waxing.

The "> 5K" is a lower-bound estimate, btw, because I run at least two chains in rotation, and I last replaced the chains when I got a second wheel-set and a new cassette as a conservative and probably needless precaution. (At that time I also purchased a replacement for the cassette for wheel-set #1, but it turned out there was no evidence that I needed it.)
If you mentioned the numbers before, I missed that. So my bad on that.
Old 09-11-23, 06:53 PM

If you mentioned the numbers before, I missed that.
Just like you missed all the posts where people said they got longer chain life using hot wax!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.