Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Let's contemplate my posterior for a moment....

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Let's contemplate my posterior for a moment....

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-19, 10:53 AM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
bike shops have a thing you sit on, yer butt makes dents & they measure that
Old 02-13-19, 07:33 PM

Bikes: Jamis Quest Elite; Fuji Sagres; Trek Fuel EX 8

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
When did you last ride? My first ride after a long, Wisconsin Winter = major ass pain. It goes away quickly.

EDIT: NM, I see you ride 60 miles a week.
Old 02-14-19, 03:26 PM
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by robnol
buy an azub max recumbent bike full suspension...you will never have an uncomfortable ride ever again
We both know that, but standby for grief for mentioning that on still.another my DF bike saddle makes my butt hurt.
Old 02-14-19, 07:09 PM

Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
We both know that, but standby for grief for mentioning that on still.another my DF bike saddle makes my butt hurt.

Now I'm curious about these odd-looking recumbent bikes. Today I was riding in mud and icy slush, and several times I had to put a foot down to stop myself from ending up recumbent on the asphalt. Is it easy to put a foot down when required while riding a recumbent bike?
Old 02-14-19, 07:16 PM
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3093 Post(s)
Liked 6,608 Times in 3,787 Posts
Word has it that Nashbar and Performance online will survive. The brick and morter stores are toast.
Old 02-14-19, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
bike shops have a thing you sit on, yer butt makes dents & they measure that
I sat on cardboard yesterday and made a couple of denst. My pressure points are 11cm apart.
Old 02-15-19, 02:55 AM

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
I feel your pain. I've spent years trying to find a comfortable saddle. Bought myself a new ride recently and it was all lovely except the basic Selle San Marco saddle - and I found that my favourite Fizik Arione had snapped across the middle.

I am very grateful for a nameless assistant at my local Evans Cycles store in London. He saw me browsing the saddles and we got talking. After hearing my tale of woe he suggested tilting the saddle forward a little - something I'd not tried before - in order to transfer a little weight from the saddle to my arms. Well, not sure about that but what it did do is make me sit a little further forward on the saddle and suddenly it was way more comfortable. I had to move it back a bit to compensate but I've put over 400 miles on the bike since then and seriously haven't looked back. The one currently on that bike, by the way, is an old Specialized Avatar - I still haven't dared go back to the Selle San Marco, which was very hard. Thought I might try out a Fabric saddle, though, as they seem to get very good reviews.
Old 02-15-19, 05:35 AM

Bikes: Giant TCR/Surly Karate Monkey/Foundry FireTower/Curtlo Tandem

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 62 Posts
jgwilliams has a point. My seat post has front and rear adjusters to allow unlimited angles.

Sometimes, if I feel that my fit (our bodies change with age) has changed a bit, I will take some allen wrenches along, ride for a few miles, make a tweak, slide or adjustment, ride a few more miles and repeat. Sometimes adjusting the saddle forward, back, tilted more up or down or taking the seatpost up or down, will make a tremendous difference. For me with my leather saddles, I can even adjust the tension. too loose and it feels spongy, too tight and it feels like a coconut.
Old 02-15-19, 03:15 PM

I have received my new 610 ERGOLUX® active and have compared it to my Brooks Cambrium. Although I haven't ridden on it yet, what I do notice is that the sweet spot on the SQlab saddle is much larger. I measured my sit bones, and they're 11cm apart. Using a tape measure on the Cambrium, there's only a small usable area....move a little bit, and my sitbones rest almost directly on the metal rivets along the edge of the Cambrium. And I often do shift my position on the bike, as I'm using a Jones H-bar. No wonder it hurts! I'll find out for sure tomorrow, as I have a 40 mile ride planned.
Old 02-15-19, 03:28 PM
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Wait a minute. Hold up.

Is this just muscle pain or is it saddle sores?

Saddle sores can be mild abrasions, folliculitis (which looks like a small, reddish acne) or a full abscess.

If it is saddle sores then see a doctor for immediate relief. Once past the abrasion stage a saddle sore becomes infected. Learn to prevent them in the future with good hygiene and proper chamois cream or body glide.

If it isn't a saddle sore then carry on.

-Tim
Old 02-15-19, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by TimothyH
Wait a minute. Hold up.

Is this just muscle pain or is it saddle sores?

-Tim
Neither. It's more like internal bruising, two spots that seem to be located right at the sit bone location. The pain goes away in a day or two.
Old 02-15-19, 08:16 PM
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by Wattsup
Neither. It's more like internal bruising, two spots that seem to be located right at the sit bone location. The pain goes away in a day or two.
Raised spots? Tender to the touch?

Saddle sores.

Lots of good advice online.

To prevent it moving forward I recommend scrupulous hygine. Change out of exercise clothing as soon as you can after riding and wash clothing as soon as possible. Don't let it sit in a pile to grow bacteria and mold. Bathe as soon as you can after exercise. Etc.

Body glide will help tremendously as well. Just about every triathlete and half the runners on the planet have a stick in their gear bag.

-Tim-
Old 02-15-19, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by TimothyH
Raised spots? Tender to the touch?

Saddle sores.

Lots of good advice online.

To prevent it moving forward I recommend scrupulous hygine. Change out of exercise clothing as soon as you can after riding and wash clothing as soon as possible. Don't let it sit in a pile to grow bacteria and mold. Bathe as soon as you can after exercise. Etc.

Body glide will help tremendously as well. Just about every triathlete and half the runners on the planet have a stick in their gear bag.

-Tim-
I'm sorry, I wasn't clear. I don't have sores. I get what feel like bruises, and they correspond I believe to where my two sit bones are located. I measured my sit bones using cardboard. They span 11cm. Take a look at the photo. If I sit too far back on the saddle, those bones are just too close to the metal studs. I believe it's bike fit related as well. I am using a Thompson Elite seatpost, which has no setback. It came with the bike. I have the saddle adjusted all the way to the rear, but I think I find it's not far enough rearward, so while riding, I adjust my butt a few centimeters rearward. And then I'm too close to those metal studs. So two hours of bumpy gravel and my posterior hurts because it's being impacted by the hardest part of the saddle.

That's my hypothesis. I'll know more tomorrow after I try out my new saddle.
Old 02-18-19, 09:37 AM

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
I'm sorry, I wasn't clear. I don't have sores. I get what feel like bruises, and they correspond I believe to where my two sit bones are located. I measured my sit bones using cardboard. They span 11cm. Take a look at the photo. If I sit too far back on the saddle, those bones are just too close to the metal studs. I believe it's bike fit related as well. I am using a Thompson Elite seatpost, which has no setback. It came with the bike. I have the saddle adjusted all the way to the rear, but I think I find it's not far enough rearward, so while riding, I adjust my butt a few centimeters rearward. And then I'm too close to those metal studs. So two hours of bumpy gravel and my posterior hurts because it's being impacted by the hardest part of the saddle.

That's my hypothesis. I'll know more tomorrow after I try out my new saddle.
How funny. In my post above where I talked about tilting the nose of the saddle down and moving it back, I had initially changed the seatpost from my old bike on to the new one as I was too streched out. The post in question was a Thompson Elite with no setback. After tilting the saddle forward I found I had to swap the seatpost back again as the PlanetX post that came with the bike had setback. The Thompson Elite is an excellent design which makes it easy to make small adjustments to the angle so I was a bit sorry not to be able to use it. I'm definitely far more comfortable now, though.
Old 02-24-19, 09:30 AM
Banned

Now I'm curious about these odd-looking recumbent bikes. Today I was riding in mud and icy slush, and several times I had to put a foot down to stop myself from ending up recumbent on the asphalt. Is it easy to put a foot down when required while riding a recumbent bike?
Very on a LWB bent or a trike.
Old 02-24-19, 09:31 AM
Banned

A job I would rather not have--------------------measuring sit bones.
Old 02-24-19, 10:06 AM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Leather Brooks wider rail had a shorter adjustment range , the rare narrow rail, Longer..

Tullio Campagnolo made his seat post to fit both only the clamping parts differed ..

Into long gravel rides on unpaved back roads, consider a suspension seat post ?

Posture chart Brooks offered : C or B 17 ride leaning forward 60 degrees , wider, like C 19 for sitting straight up 90 degrees,

narrower C 15, or Team Professional ( or a lot of classic road saddles; Rolls, Flite, Turbo etc. ) leaning further forward 45 degrees or less..

Old 02-26-19, 09:49 PM

Thanks all for the advice. My new SQLab 610 Ergolux is working out pretty well. It's firm, but the butt feels ok after a 30mi gravel ride. It's definitely a bit odd looking.

Old 03-09-19, 08:55 PM

I spoke too soon. Today I did a 25 mi ride on asphalt, and the butt was SOO sore after about 15 miles. I don't get it.
Old 03-14-19, 12:07 PM

And now an additional errant data point. Yesterday I rode 30 miles on mostly packed gravel, and the saddle was fine. My previous ride on 3/9 was 25 miles on glass smooth asphalt, and the butt was so sore I couldn't wait to finish. I don't understand. I can only guess that I'm adjusting my posture on the Jones bar, trying to stay low and out of the wind when on the asphalt, and taking a more upright posture on the gravel.
Old 03-14-19, 05:04 PM

Bikes: The Blurple Specialized Roubaix Pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 75 Posts
Have you considered a short-nose saddle? The three most popular are the Specialized Power saddle, Pro Stealth, and the Pro Logo Dimension Nack. If you have a Specialized dealer, they can measure your sit bones and give you a recommendation on size. If you are a 110, I would suggest a 143 Power saddle. It is 240 cm long, has a huge cut-out, and a flare at the end. The Pro Stealth is similar to the Power, but it has a wider nose and slightly flatter.
Old 03-14-19, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by Sojodave
Have you considered a short-nose saddle? The three most popular are the Specialized Power saddle, Pro Stealth, and the Pro Logo Dimension Nack. If you have a Specialized dealer, they can measure your sit bones and give you a recommendation on size. If you are a 110, I would suggest a 143 Power saddle. It is 240 cm long, has a huge cut-out, and a flare at the end. The Pro Stealth is similar to the Power, but it has a wider nose and slightly flatter.
What is the benefit of a short-nose saddle?
Old 03-14-19, 10:34 PM
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
What is the benefit of a short-nose saddle?
Doesn't penetrate as deeply during a tragic accident.
Old 03-14-19, 10:38 PM
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
I've had an SQLabs saddle now for almost a year, for my drop bar rigid mountain bike. I am still trying to make it comfortable. They did the sizing, so I am fairly confident it was done right.
Old 03-14-19, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by wgscott
I've had an SQLabs saddle now for almost a year, for my drop bar rigid mountain bike. I am still trying to make it comfortable. They did the sizing, so I am fairly confident it was done right.
I expect to figure this thing out pro or con long before the anniversary.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.