Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Post your BF User ID origin stories

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Post your BF User ID origin stories

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-12, 01:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My name is Alejandro and it is far too long. Thus, I shortened it. /creative
Old 08-16-12, 01:42 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I saw the word "Faux" many years ago on a freeway exit sign and thought it was a cool looking word. Later on I figured out how to actually pronounce it and what it actually meant, which just added to its coolness. I've had various usernames with different integrations of the word and this is just the latest one.
Old 08-16-12, 02:00 AM

Bikes: 49cm Pake Steel Track 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I was like 12 I used to race Go-Ped's. Around that time I got my first Xbox, so I made my Gamertag "pedder". After a while I started to hate the name because it sounded boring and everyone else had clever and cool names (and also because I was teased on Xbox Live by some French dudes that convinced me that "pedder" meant gay in French), so I tried using different user names on different sites and such. For some reason, however, pedder was the easiest to remember, and I would always fall back on it no matter how much I disliked it. Eventually I just got used to it, but I still wanted to make it look cooler. At the time the whole mixed lower and upper case lettering was popular, so it became "PeDDeR". Then I got bored of that and decided to add 27 (born August 27th) to the end of it, and I've stuck with that ever since.

Last edited by PeDDeR27; 08-16-12 at 02:04 AM.
Old 08-16-12, 06:39 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi my name is Dave. You can figure out the last name.

I figured using my real name would keep my trolling to a minimum.
Old 08-16-12, 07:19 AM
Your cog is slipping.

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 58 Posts
When I was a little kid, I had a 80-something year old Great Aunt who would always call me the 'catch of the day' at family gatherings and such. Someone in my family found out that regional fisherman and seafood restaurants referred to the catch of the day as Scrod so people in my family started calling me that - which I absolutely hated. Over the years growing up, there were always a lot of other Daves around and people would always say 'Dave Scrod' when talking about me, so it became my unofficial last name among my friends. Most people I know don't even know what my real last name is at this point (Angie didn't even know for the first three months we were dating). I've been putting off getting it legally changed for years...

Around 1999 when I was playing in the band SourVein, my friend T-roy (their singer) would always make up nicknames for me based on 'Scrod' - Scrodzilla was the one that stuck. I was also really into the original old Godzilla movies when I was a kid so it all makes some kind of weird sense in a "full-circle" kind of way.

Most people who aren't from New England have never heard the term 'Scrod' referring to fish so they usually end up thinking it has something to do with balls. I guess in that case, Scrodzilla=HUGE BALLS.
Old 08-16-12, 07:21 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, I'm also a Dave. I think both david and ddavid were taken so ...

and I like ffffound! but still waiting for an invite ):
Old 08-16-12, 07:46 AM
Hi, I'm Bryan.

Bikes: 2010 Focus Mares

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Scrodzilla
When I was a little kid, I had a 80-something year old Great Aunt who would always call me the 'catch of the day' at family gatherings and such. Someone in my family found out that regional fisherman and seafood restaurants referred to the catch of the day as Scrod so people in my family started calling me that - which I absolutely hated. Over the years growing up, there were always a lot of other Daves around and people would always say 'Dave Scrod' when talking about me, so it became my unofficial last name among my friends. Most people I know don't even know what my real last name is at this point (Angie didn't even know for the first three months we were dating). I've been putting off getting it legally changed for years...

Around 1999 when I was playing in the band SourVein, my friend T-roy (their singer) would always make up nicknames for me based on 'Scrod' - Scrodzilla was the one that stuck. I was also really into the original old Godzilla movies when I was a kid so it all makes some kind of weird sense in a "full-circle" kind of way.

Most people who aren't from New England have never heard the term 'Scrod' referring to fish so they usually end up thinking it has something to do with balls. I guess in that case, Scrodzilla=HUGE BALLS.
I've only heard Scrod referring to fish and you. How is it a ball reference?
Old 08-16-12, 07:48 AM
pro in someone's theory

Bikes: FTP

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmytango
I've only heard Scrod referring to fish and you. How is it a ball reference?
Short for scrotum.

Six years of graduate school doing mathematical linguistics here.
Old 08-16-12, 07:59 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by prooftheory
Six years of graduate school doing mathematical linguistics here.
Is that like computational linguistics or a subfield? Are you finished school and if so what do you do now?
Old 08-16-12, 08:01 AM
pro in someone's theory

Bikes: FTP

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm a working computational linguist now. But no, in general when people say mathematical linguistics they are talking about people who study the mathematical properties of grammar formalism, formal language theory, type theory etc.
Old 08-16-12, 08:06 AM
My pants used to fit me

Bikes: Surly Steamroller, All-City Super Professional

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Back in my internet days one of my jobs had a tiny room where we kept a karaoke machine so we could unwind if the pressure started to get to us. One night at an office party my boss and I were on mushrooms and snuck into an adjacent business to smoke weed and found a fog machine. I brought it into the karaoke room and said "DOOOOD! I'm the Wind and Fogmaster!" My boss heard it as Wendell Fogmaster and that's been my nom d'internet since. Had to shorten it for this site, tho.
Old 08-16-12, 08:29 AM
Decrepit Member

Bikes: Waterford 953 RS-22, several Paramounts

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 58 Posts
Before I retired, my employer assigned company email addresses using the first initial and last name. Stan Cooper was scooper.

I can't count the number of times folks have asked if I'm a newspaper reporter.

my bikes

Science doesn't care what you believe.
Old 08-16-12, 09:08 AM
Team Beer

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 105 Posts
Old gaming handle and kinda self explanatory.
Old 08-16-12, 09:18 AM

Bikes: Schwinn, Bottecchia, Miyata, projects

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Robofunc = robotic function.

I made it up back in 1997 when I was making computer music and ended up using it as my username for EVERYTHING.
Old 08-16-12, 10:05 AM
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 142 Post(s)
Quoted: 2699 Post(s)
Liked 3,258 Times in 1,711 Posts
i got mine from jazzzzzzzzzzzz /notcreative

oh and my name is David too.
Old 08-16-12, 10:11 AM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2953 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I went to Cal (BA, History, '89) and "oso" is Spanish for bear, which is the Cal mascot.
Old 08-16-12, 10:43 AM
Brown Bear, Sqrl Hunter

Bikes: CAAD 10 4, Dolan DF4, Fuji Track Classic

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Wendell F
Back in my internet days one of my jobs had a tiny room where we kept a karaoke machine so we could unwind if the pressure started to get to us. One night at an office party my boss and I were on mushrooms and snuck into an adjacent business to smoke weed and found a fog machine. I brought it into the karaoke room and said "DOOOOD! I'm the Wind and Fogmaster!" My boss heard it as Wendell Fogmaster and that's been my nom d'internet since. Had to shorten it for this site, tho.
Holy **** that is awesome
Old 08-16-12, 10:48 AM
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 142 Post(s)
Quoted: 2699 Post(s)
Liked 3,258 Times in 1,711 Posts
hahaha thats the best story so far
Old 08-16-12, 10:57 AM
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,572 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by Wendell F
Nice! I thought it might be a play on the R.E.M. song "Wendell Gee", but your story is better.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 08-16-12, 10:59 AM

Bikes: 2012 Trek Allant, 2016 Bianchi Volpe Disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's my initials plus "onious". I've used it since I started playing online games way back in the mid '90s.
Old 08-16-12, 11:03 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jaytron
Jaytron has been my gamer handle for years.

Also my nickname was "Jaytron the party robot" for a number of years.

Got the idea from Del the Funky *****apien, and the album Deltron 3030. Specifically the song "3030" where he says "i want yall meet Deltron zero, hero, not no small feat." I mixed it with "Jay" (a nickname of mine) to make "Jaytron". I then used "Jaytron zero the world's hero" while gaming with some friends and it stuck. This turned into Jaytronzero, then eventually into Jaytron.
Awesome. Del's a legendary underground rapper in my book.

Originally Posted by Jaytron
In short, he escaped and killed the Starlaac. Mandalorian armor ftw.

He also goes on to train Han/Leia's daughter Jaina, to help her kill her brother Jasen, who turns to the dark side. (Luke started a Jedi Academy on Yavin IV, Jaina and Jasen were pupils).

Man, you make me want to go back and read a bunch of Star Wars books.
Yup, I picked up after that series where Jacen becomes Darth Caedus and duels Jaina. 8 or 9 book series called "Fate of the Jedi". So much stuff happens in addition to the movies.
Old 08-16-12, 11:06 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mumonkan
Mumonkan is the name of a book, which loosely translated from japanese means gateless barrier. it is a collection of koans which are like crazy zen buddhist riddles.
i am very interested in zen buddhism, and hopefully one day it will help me not be such a selfish human
I love how buddhism doesn't really force anything on people, and it's more about acceptance and tolerance than the opposite.
Old 08-16-12, 11:09 AM
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,572 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by BigglyPuff
I love how buddhism doesn't really force anything on people, and it's more about acceptance and tolerance than the opposite.
Yeah, historically, it spread more due to Buddhist countries getting conquered than the other way around.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 08-16-12, 11:10 AM
sqrl

Bikes: bieks

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My maiden name is long and Polish and starts with kaz and people have called me kaz my whole life. I ended up having to add the 'miss' because three letter usernames are hard to snag, so just kaz is usually taken. Now I actually like it with the 'miss' and for consistency's sake I use misskaz everywhere on the interwebs.

My real name is Karen but almost no one calls me that outside of work.
Old 08-16-12, 11:11 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TheRealFaux
I saw the word "Faux" many years ago on a freeway exit sign and thought it was a cool looking word. Later on I figured out how to actually pronounce it and what it actually meant, which just added to its coolness. I've had various usernames with different integrations of the word and this is just the latest one.
Doesn't Faux mean "fake" or "false"? And I think it's pronounced like "fa" as in the first part of "fall".

Real Faux is like saying True Lie.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.