Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

More info about my $10 Raleigh Professional...

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

More info about my $10 Raleigh Professional...

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-08, 05:16 PM
juneeaa memba!

Bikes: Crap. The box is not big enough...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Some paint shops would use the repaint frame decals that they had when they repainted the bike. I wouldn't put too much emphasis on the 501 part of the sticker...it just means that the shop was out of 531 stickers, when they did the repaint.

I am not certain which bike you are referring to when you say that it looks just like that...the Mark 4 or the Mark 5?
Old 10-14-08, 05:17 PM
perpetually frazzled

Bikes: 1977 Bridgestone Kabuki Super Speed; 1979 Raleigh Professional; 1983 Raleigh Rapide mixte; 1974 Peugeot UO-8; 1993 Univega Activa Trail; 1972 Raleigh Sports; 1967 Phillips; 1981 Schwinn World Tourist; 1976 Schwinn LeTour mixte; 1964 Western Flyer

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Either one, actually - the frames look identical. The only difference I can see from them is the difference in wheels - because of the wheels, I'm thinking Mark 5, but who knows. Like I said, I'll post pics tomorrow.
Old 10-14-08, 05:18 PM
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 1,099 Times in 644 Posts
Given the serial number, there's no way it's the Mark V.

It's one of the limited edition bikes without the paint job or the spiffy stickers.
Old 10-14-08, 05:26 PM

Bikes: Cinelli, Paramount, Raleigh, Carlton, Zeus, Gemniani, Frejus, Legnano, Pinarello, Falcon

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
The wrapover seat stays on the Pro returned for the later ones, not sure when however; 78? I think the later ones also had a "CC" cutout in the bottom bracket, but not the earlier ones. Towards the end they brought back the "Capella" lugs on many Raleighs, left over from the Carlton days, but most Pros were the simplier lugs. Internationals and Super Courses used Nervex usually.

Do you notice the seat stay attachment in those 2 catalog pictures? The first uses wrapover stays, the second the "fastback" stays, where they "shoot into" the seatlug.
Old 10-14-08, 05:33 PM
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,398 Times in 2,093 Posts
Originally Posted by mickey85
Either one, actually - the frames look identical. The only difference I can see from them is the difference in wheels - because of the wheels, I'm thinking Mark 5, but who knows. Like I said, I'll post pics tomorrow.
Mickey, take a close look at the way those stays attach on the MkIV in the 1976 brochure. Unlike the MkV, the IV's stays attach below the centerline of the top tube with an extended seatlug. The V has more run-of-the-mill stays that attach to the sides of the seatlug.

-Kurt

Old 10-14-08, 09:04 PM
1971 Professional

Bikes: 1971 Raleigh Professional Mink/Silver - All original, not restored.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can't wait to see photos after reading this thread. Glad to see Raleigh Pros being discussed here and hope to see more.
Old 10-14-08, 09:20 PM

Bikes: 3 speeds, mountain, road and recumbent

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 18 Posts
I have a Mk. V; the "wrap over " seat stays joining the top tube are distinctly different than the join together behind Mk. IV version.
Old 10-14-08, 09:35 PM

seat stay

better view of the seat stays
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Raleigh pro mid size.jpg (52.3 KB, 173 views)
File Type: jpg
raleigh pro .jpg (43.2 KB, 173 views)
Old 10-14-08, 10:20 PM
www.theheadbadge.com

I wouldn't call the V's stays true wrap-overs. This is what I consider a wrap-over:

Caps that just touch each other at the top center of the seat lug are also worthy of the name, IMO.

-Kurt

Old 10-15-08, 05:55 AM
perpetually frazzled

Bikes: 1977 Bridgestone Kabuki Super Speed; 1979 Raleigh Professional; 1983 Raleigh Rapide mixte; 1974 Peugeot UO-8; 1993 Univega Activa Trail; 1972 Raleigh Sports; 1967 Phillips; 1981 Schwinn World Tourist; 1976 Schwinn LeTour mixte; 1964 Western Flyer

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by USAZorro
Given the serial number, there's no way it's the Mark V.

It's one of the limited edition bikes without the paint job or the spiffy stickers.
What is a limited edition bike?

And as far as the seat stays, it IS a wrapover, like Sherborn's. It doesn't have a bolt-and-nut though, it's just got the single bolt that screws into the other side of the seat tube.

And I wasn't able to get the camera to CVS on time...
Old 10-15-08, 06:35 AM

Just to make sure I understand, my photo above shows a partial or tapered attachment with a single, (behind the seat tube) bolt. Cudak shows a full wrap around with single bolt (with intriguing sponge painting by a direct descendent of Walter Raleigh no doubt. Not to digress but it begs a shot of the whole bike).
Old 10-15-08, 07:52 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not trying to derail your thread but I was wondering if Kurt knew who made the yellow frame he posted the picture of.
Old 10-15-08, 09:14 AM
we are apes

Bikes: '83 De Rosa Professional • '73 Pogliaghi Italcorse • 83 Colnago Super ~ Saronni • 83 Ciocc • '74 Raleigh Professional • '72 Raleigh Professional Track • '01 Cinelli Supercorsa • '80 Bianchi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is a confusing thread for sure as conjecture rules the moment with wild swings from far left to far right. It's getting closer to a solution and looking less like the classic Fastback option.

Interestingly, the Raleigh Professional sometimes gets a bum rap from some of the cycling community, perhaps more from conjecture and passing on of info then long-term experience with the bike. In my opinion, the handling and build of the Professional, Raleigh's nod to Italian geometry and build, at least compared to their relaxed International, is very rewarding.... although the lean-in response does seem different than others, taking some getting used to (Caveat is I've only ridden larger size versions).

See my 1974 Raleigh Professional below, in Blue Mink/Silver, shod with worn daily rider Open 4 CD/Pro2Race or Veloflex Pave. The serial number for my beast is WK4005527, which is plainly visible right above the double CC cutout, another telltale aspect of this period's bottom bracket.

See a few photos below, with larger samples seen from my signature link. Notice the Victor Fastback Seat Cluster as well as the Cinelli style sloping forks. The long point lugs are very nice, actually. All tubing in the Pro's frame was made from DB Reynolds 531, including the forks. There should be stickers on frame and fork.

The build quality can vary but my sample was definitely made on one of Worksop's finer days. It's perhaps the best crafted bike I own, if not ultimately the best riding (not far off, I might add). The US versions didn't have eyelets for fenders/racks but left too much clearance as if expecting them. They could have lowered the beast a bit more.

I've seen a few compare this frame to the Super Course, a much more crude bike IMO. I ride 30-40 miles every day, alternating between an 83 De Rosa Professional and my 74 Raleigh Professional. The De Rosa is an amazing ride for sure and deserves praise for that alone. Granted, the size of the frames are disparate enough to bring more problematic comparisons, needless to say, they are both extremely enjoyable to ride, with both instilling the need to hammer. IF the rider is in shape, either can stay above 20mph though putting these frames into hill climbing mode can test your mettle.

It will be interesting to see what this so-called $10 Raleigh Pro finally turns out to be...

Last edited by mobile homeless; 10-15-08 at 05:45 PM.
Old 10-15-08, 09:26 AM
perpetually frazzled

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
OK - definites.

It DOES have the wraparound design.

It DOES have a serial number that, through the rust looks like D(?)E000376

It does NOT have the CC bottom bracket - it has two rounded-rectangular holes instead

it DOES have Mk. V style rims (mavic tubed) (but it doesn't matter much)

It HAS been repainted Mink and Silver, with no apparent coat beneath

All of the components ARE Campy, except the handlebars and stem, which are Cinelli

It DOES have white handlebar tape and cables (which may or may not be original)

The seatpost bolt DOES screw into the other side - no nut or double bolt to hold it on

Whatever it is, it IS fast as hell, and feels a bajillion times better than even the old Peugeot that I used to have.
Old 10-15-08, 09:30 AM
www.theheadbadge.com

I smell a high-end frame repainted into a fake Professional.

-Kurt

Last edited by cudak888; 10-15-08 at 09:40 AM.
Old 10-15-08, 09:31 AM

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 528 Times in 321 Posts
OK - definites.

It DOES have the wraparound design.

It DOES have a serial number that, through the rust looks like D(?)E000376

It does NOT have the CC bottom bracket - it has two rounded-rectangular holes instead

it DOES have Mk. V style rims (mavic tubed) (but it doesn't matter much)

It HAS been repainted Mink and Silver, with no apparent coat beneath

All of the components ARE Campy, except the handlebars and stem, which are Cinelli

It DOES have white handlebar tape and cables (which may or may not be original)

The seatpost bolt DOES screw into the other side - no nut or double bolt to hold it on

Whatever it is, it IS fast as hell, and feels a bajillion times better than even the old Peugeot that I used to have.
One more definite - if you actually paid $10 as your title suggests, that's a serious catch.
Old 10-15-08, 09:43 AM

Bikes: Cinelli, Paramount, Raleigh, Carlton, Zeus, Gemniani, Frejus, Legnano, Pinarello, Falcon

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by mobile homeless
See my 1974 Raleigh Professional below, in Blue Mink/Silver

Man, that is GORGEOUS! (though I prefer the brown)
Old 10-15-08, 09:47 AM
perpetually frazzled

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
If it is a repainted high-end frame, what could it be? It has the same lugs as the Raleigh...
Old 10-15-08, 10:00 AM

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
If it is a repainted high-end frame, what could it be? It has the same lugs as the Raleigh...

A picture or 2 would be worth more than these thousands of words...
Old 10-15-08, 10:12 AM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1861 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 507 Posts
Originally Posted by dbakl
Don't have the 69 handy, its down in my storage, but here's a pic when I finished it. It and the 70 have the Cinelli style fork; the 70 has a chrome crown, otherwise, neither frame has any chrome.

very neat, dbakl!! what's the size, and do you know the frame angles?

Road Fan
Old 10-15-08, 10:15 AM

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
very neat, dbakl!! what's the size, and do you know the frame angles?

Road Fan
Thanks. Size is about 21.5", a little small for me but... no idea of angles; more laid back than the fastback Pro, I'd guess similar to an International. Again, don't have it here to check, too many bikes!
Old 10-15-08, 11:02 AM
we are apes

Bikes: '83 De Rosa Professional • '73 Pogliaghi Italcorse • 83 Colnago Super ~ Saronni • 83 Ciocc • '74 Raleigh Professional • '72 Raleigh Professional Track • '01 Cinelli Supercorsa • '80 Bianchi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dbakl
Don't have the 69 handy, its down in my storage, but here's a pic when I finished it. It and the 70 have the Cinelli style fork; the 70 has a chrome crown, otherwise, neither frame has any chrome.
Nice bike as well and thanks for the compliments on the '74 (I love the Coffee color, too, but the mink blue and chrome is like a rolling jewel in the sun).

You know what I keep forgetting is how much closer the early 69 Pro's geometry is to the International, especially the rear triangle. It's actually closer to the International than it is to the later Mk IV style, this looking at some of the tube angles and wheelbase. The rear wheel really seems to be trailing more in the original. Seems the rear triangle is not near as tight from this perspective. I've not ridden an early pro, however. How's she ride?

EDIT: heh...just saw your post now!

Last edited by mobile homeless; 10-15-08 at 11:09 AM.
Old 10-15-08, 12:05 PM
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 1,099 Times in 644 Posts
I'm starting over. The original style Raleigh Professional (the white one pictures) seems to fit on all accounts - except for the screw-in seat post. The paint scheme and the components all need to be removed from consideration, as they could easily have been modified over the intervening 38 + years. The reported serial number, lugs, fork style, lack of BB cutouts and seat stays point in no other direction.

Questions for the OP. Is there a badge on the head tube? If so, describe it. If not, do you see any small holes?
Old 10-15-08, 12:31 PM
perpetually frazzled

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
The head badge, starting from the bottom, says "Nottingham, England" then Raleigh, topped with a large red R, then a red bird with a black beak and white eye. Very similar to the one in the middle of the Retro Raleighs logo, only mine is silver, not gold.

It's held in with 3 flat head screws - two on the left side, one on the right.

Last edited by mickey85; 10-15-08 at 12:35 PM.
Old 10-15-08, 01:22 PM

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
The head badge, starting from the bottom, says "Nottingham, England" then Raleigh, topped with a large red R, then a red bird with a black beak and white eye. Very similar to the one in the middle of the Retro Raleighs logo, only mine is silver, not gold.

It's held in with 3 flat head screws - two on the left side, one on the right.
Is it oval, or in the shape of the Heron?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.