Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Anybody familiar with a Raleigh Royale?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Anybody familiar with a Raleigh Royale?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-17, 06:32 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
Totally different models. Your pics shows something much more modern. Also the the spelling difference. Royal versus Royale. Raleigh used the name(s) for several divergent models over a wide time span.
I accept it may be a different model...
Just trying to help: )
Old 07-12-17, 06:33 PM

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
Appreciate the effort, but I'm afraid you're talking a fairly modern tourer (notice the date on the passport is 1997), while the bike I've got here is 1969.

On the other hand . . . . . being totally unfamiliar with the bike (it's from the 28 year period that I dropped out of cycling completely), that is one sweet touring bike. Definitely something in my style, should I decide that I'd like to own a bagger more modern than my 69 Magneet.

Thanks for the idea. Going to have to talk to my local Raleigh dealer (they're very well versed in vintage, the shops been around for a century), see what they can tell me about the model, and whether or not it was sold in the States.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 01-14-22, 12:16 AM

Bikes: Linus Roadster 7i

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts
Reviving an old thread--I just finished up this Raleigh Royale and was able to keep it fairly original. The brakes are the "88s" and the derailleurs are original Simplex. Only changed out the cables, housing and handlebar wrap--for the rest original. It has the fork-mounted headlight bracket. The seat was a Japanese spring saddle like an old Brooks saddle but may not have been original to the bike. Nice solid bike, and the derailleurs and levers work quite nicely, as do the center-pull brakes. If it is indeed 69-70, then it pre-dates the two Sports models I had. This one certainly was in better shape and had obviously been stored well.

Old 01-14-22, 02:22 PM

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
Originally Posted by dweenk
I have a Royale as well. The original owner bought it in Brabant, Belgium. The serial # is MG17365. Oddly it has forks decaled BSA. Here are a few as found photos:
Now that this thread has been resurected, I'll chime in on the components on my Royale.
Cranks (Solida 50/47)
Steel side pull brakes (no name, made in England)
Levers (steel Raleigh with hard plastic hoods)
Shifters (Huret clamp-ons)
Rear Der. (Huret Allvit)
Front Der. (Huret sliding post)
Grips (no name, bullet style, white)
Bell (no name, 4 leaf clover logo)
Lights (Dansi)
Bars (steel north road style, no name)
Stem (steel, no name, looks like GB knock-off)
Kickstand (aluminum ESGE Pletscher)
Rear Rack (steel ESGE)
Seatpost (steel, no name, about 25.2 mm)
Pedals (steel, rubber treads, dust cap has an oval logo (Wa))
Old 01-14-22, 02:24 PM

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
Originally Posted by dweenk
I have a Royale as well. The original owner bought it in Brabant, Belgium. The serial # is MG17365. Oddly it has forks decaled BSA. Here are a few as found photos:
Now that this thread has been resurected, I'll chime in on the components on my Royale.
Cranks (Solida 50/47)
Steel side pull brakes (no name, made in England)
Levers (steel Raleigh with hard plastic hoods)
Shifters (Huret clamp-ons)
Rear Der. (Huret Allvit)
Front Der. (Huret sliding post)
Grips (no name, bullet style, white)
Bell (no name, 4 leaf clover logo)
Lights (Dansi)
Bars (steel north road style, no name)
Stem (steel, no name, looks like GB knock-off)
Kickstand (aluminum ESGE Pletscher)
Rear Rack (steel ESGE)
Seatpost (steel, no name, about 25.2 mm)
Pedals (steel, rubber treads, dust cap has an oval logo (Wa))
Old 01-14-22, 08:39 PM

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
As I never posted a complete set of pictures on the bike when I started this thread, I figured better late than never. The bike was sold at the Westminster, MD swap meet in 2020, as the frame was too small for me, and the ride quality against my '72 Grand Prix was sorely lacking. Jkrug, I have a feeling that mine is a couple of years older than yours, as the paintwork and general appearance of yours gives me an early 70's feel. If anything, thee appears to be only a bit of trim difference between your bike and my Grand Prix - the color is essentially the same:

Yes, the rear fender was snapped at the stays. Unfortunate, as it was the only real damage to the bike.

The white plastic Simplex levers threw me.

Like I originally posted, a variant of Simplex Prestige that I was completely unfamiliar with.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Last edited by sykerocker; 01-14-22 at 08:43 PM.