Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

New Flat Stategery?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

New Flat Stategery?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-13, 04:11 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Steve Sawyer
I read a piece recently mocking certain practices amongst cyclists that were judged as just too uncool to consider. One of them was wearing a Camelbak or equivalent. It didn't make much sense to me, and doesn't now. Having two quarts of cool water when the temp is up in the high 90's is really nice. The wife & I did a multi-day tour last summer that had the choice of a 14- or 25-mile "warmup" on Friday night. Because Marcy isn't the avid cyclist I am, we did the 14-miler. Temp was 98 at 6:00, and we both completely drained our 2-quart Camelbaks over that distance. I also found the next day that the Cambelbaks are so well insulated, I could load it up with ice and water, and when the water was gone there was enough ice left that I could transfer the warm water in my water bottles to the Camelbak and still have cool water to drink after 40 miles.
I started riding regularly with a club in June 2004. The Saturday ride was always around 50 miles @ 15 mph ave. Not strenuous, but you have to be in reasonable condition. One of the leaders always wore a Camelbak, and he was the one that said he wanted a cool drink at the end of the ride. I am fortunate to have ridden with them.

Last edited by az_cyclist; 03-14-13 at 04:17 PM.
Old 03-14-13, 05:09 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Used to ride MTBs on goat-head infested roads, paths, and mountain trails. During certain times of the year you could ride for "weeks on end" without any GH induced flats. Other times you'd swear that the roads and trails were paved with the darn things.

This quickly taught me to carry several CO2 carts and a spare tube in a small "everyday" tool kit and a pump in a "long distance" luggage rack mounted bag along with another spare tube, etc. Never had a case where I couldn't ride home due to flat tires.

As for the water issue, too much is almost not enough if you ask me.
Old 03-14-13, 05:53 PM

Bikes: Bicycles

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Is that plain ol' talcum powder?
Yes indeed. I use baby powder. Back in the day it was called Heat Powder.
I've torn punctured tubes that have been in service for several years because they bond to the tire's innards.
If the tube is a little over-sized, I think it helps it unfold on inflation.
Old 03-14-13, 09:49 PM

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Seceur Elite, Soma ES custom build

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pursuance
Yes indeed. I use baby powder. Back in the day it was called Heat Powder.
I've torn punctured tubes that have been in service for several years because they bond to the tire's innards.
If the tube is a little over-sized, I think it helps it unfold on inflation.
Thanks - great tip!

I have a new bike on order, and was planning on doing some practice flat repairs so I can do it quickly when
on the road. I'll dust some powder in the tires when I do that.

Last edited by Steve Sawyer; 03-14-13 at 09:52 PM.
Old 03-15-13, 01:03 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Camelbacks and mountain biking and it was used on every ride. Road bike and two bottles are enough for the local rides except I only have space for one bottle due to the Mini/Road morph taking the place of the other carrier. I would rather go with just one bottle than leave the Morph at home so Use the camelback on the road in the summer.

And on Talc-My spare tubes are in plastic bags that also have talcum powder in them.

Spike Milligan
Old 03-15-13, 07:54 AM

Bikes: Fuji Cross Comp, BMC SR02, Surly Krampas

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Years ago I had a bike shop lady tell me how to pick out a pump. "You don't have a flat very often but, when you do, you're likely to be aggravated."
"If you're the kind of person who doesn't upset easily, it doesn't matter because you don't flat very often. You can get the smallest most compact pump you can find. It will just take longer."
"If you're prone to anger, you want the biggest, fastest, most convenient pump you can handle on your bike."
Isn't it wonderful when someone can take it to the fundamentals! I think I am going to go out and get me a nice, big, fast pump.
Old 03-15-13, 07:57 AM

Bikes: Fuji Cross Comp, BMC SR02, Surly Krampas

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
If you are one of those fortunate people that rarley has a visit from the flat fairy- then you had better make certain you ride with others when she does visit you. That pump that has sat on your frame for the last 18 months may not work when you want it to unless you have checked it out to see that it still works. I do not have that problem and have resorted to buying tubes in bulk.
That was a hard lesson - cold, dark morning, a 2-1/2 mile walk from home. The $#!! pump didn't work at all. Had been just about 6 months since I got the pump, and it had never been used. Just a decoration.

I still have my Zefal HP frame pump I bought in 1982, and it works beautifully. Use it in my shop for lawnmower tires. I think it may find its way back on my commute bike...
Old 03-15-13, 09:16 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just a new guy here. Started riding just last year after 40 years. Flat tires, and opinions or comments with those fix a flat type fast on the road again aerosol cans. Thanks much.
Old 03-15-13, 09:47 AM

Bikes: Bicycles

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by doat
Just a new guy here. Started riding just last year after 40 years. Flat tires, and opinions or comments with those fix a flat type fast on the road again aerosol cans. Thanks much.
Just my opinion. They might work on tubeless car or m/c tires but on tube bicycle tires they just create a mess and a tube that can not be patched.

I have found it best to carry a spare tube and patch at home. Presta valves make it easy to suck the tube down to repacking size.

Welcome to 50+ doat.
Old 03-15-13, 10:07 AM

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 258 Posts
I always pump up the tires to 95psi front and 105psi rear before heading out for the day.

At home I have a good-sized floor pump w/ built in gauge. For the road, I have the Zefal HP frame pump that I've carried for 35+ years. Actually my third one. The first got bent on a doggie-noggin in '77 on a ride out in the sticks, the second got snagged by a pants cuff and ficked out of the frame, only to be run over by the rear tire in '78. The third one is still going strong.
Old 03-15-13, 10:30 AM

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Seceur Elite, Soma ES custom build

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cougrrcj
I always pump up the tires to 95psi front and 105psi rear before heading out for the day.
That's the first time I've heard of that practice. Care to share the advantage of doing that?
Old 03-15-13, 02:09 PM

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 258 Posts
That's the first time I've heard of that practice. Care to share the advantage of doing that?
From the LiveStrong website:

As with car tires, bike tire inflation is important to performance. Bike-tire engineers look for optimal deflection, or expected flexing, for the best grip, comfort, efficiency and comfort. The most important variable affecting the ideal amount of tire pressure is the load your tires need to carry. For riders who weigh more than 180 lbs., inflate to the maximum pressure indicated on the tire sidewall, recommends Michelin. For riders who weigh less than 110 lbs., inflate to the minimum pressure.

Your weight, along with how your bike distributes weight, may require you to change the air pressure in one or both tires to gain maximum performance. Depending on how your bike distributes weight, you can have between 55 percent and 65 percent of your body weight on the rear tire. If you are heavier, you may need to increase the back-tire PSI until the firmness matches the front tire when sitting on your bike
I'm running 27x1-1/8 wheels with the 27x1-1/8 tires with a max inflation of 105psi. I keep the front pressure down a tad to reduce road vibration to my hands. Most of my weight is on the rear tire anyway, and the higher inflation pressure has a huge impact on rolling resistance. Besides, at my *ahem* heavier weight, I need the load carrying capability at higher pressures so as to avoid pinch-flats. If you don't think so, try riding with tires inflated to 75psi for ten miles, then do the same with the tires pumped up all the way (105psi in my case), and tell me which had less rolling resistance. Over 60-100 miles, it makes a big difference!