Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Tubeless Tire Recommendations

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Tubeless Tire Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-16, 06:21 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Old_Roadie
I like the Schwalbe One Tubeless. They seal very well and I am able to run these tires without sealant. I have used sealant and I don't miss it.
They roll well, I average 5K miles on the front, 3.5K miles on the rear.

This is the best price I have found.
Tyre Schwalbe One Tubeless - 700 x 23 - XXcycle - en

Schwalbe also has a newer tire, the Pro One tubeless. I am running this tire on the front without sealant. 400 miles and so far so good. IMO a race tire. Not sure they will be as durable especially on the rear.

Schwalbe Pro One HS462 Evolution Line 28' Tubeless Tire - 23/622 - XXcycle - en

I use a Kool Stop Tire Bead Jack to mount then, especially the first time. I have been able to remount them just by hand.
i have been able to get both the pro and the pro one tires to seal using a Joe Blow sport pump
I would also suggest looking into this tool
https://www.amazon.com/Kool-Stop-Tir.../dp/B001AYML7K

Amazingly I have had only one flat in over 6,100 miles without using sealant, and that was a very large sidewall cut that would not have sealed with sealant.
I don't understand....besides pinch flats, one of the primary reasons Tubeless is great is because of the reduction in punctures....if you have sealant of course.
Old 11-29-16, 07:49 PM

Bikes: Moots Vamoots, Colnago C60, Santa Cruz Stigmata CC, and too many other bikes I don't ride

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by RNAV
That is definitely not confidence-inspiring! Thanks for sharing . . . I think I'll still with Pro Ones for the time being.
The Pro Ones are nice compared to the Hutchinson offerings, but I am not too keen on their traction in bad weather, and the durability is not great; I've only got less 2000 miles out of the rear.
Old 11-29-16, 08:01 PM

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Roubaix Pro - Ultegra Drive train - Dura Ave 7900 C24 TLs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nickw
I don't understand....besides pinch flats, one of the primary reasons Tubeless is great is because of the reduction in punctures....if you have sealant of course.
Yes, sealant does help reduce punctures. I used to run sealant. I could not get Fusion 3s to seal without sealant. The sidewalls leaked, at least back in 2011 they did. I also found out that sealant did not play well with Dura Ace 7900 Tls, and I was using CaffeLatex, which was NOT supposed corrode the rim. The rim did not 'Corrode', but it did 'Oxidize' the rim, at least that is what I was told by Effetto Mariposa, and Shimano.

So when the Schwalbe Pro tires held air without sealant I decided to try running them dry as a test. Works for me.
The second reason that I choose not to run sealant is that it dries up and is very messy and time consuming to clean when it is time to install new tires. And if you let it dry out in summer, you are out of luck, (which I did, yes I know, operator error), but you still have the residual to deal with.
Not saying others should go this route, just that I have had good luck with Schwalbe Ones, the original, not the Pro Ones) not running sealant. One flat in over 6K miles is not bad, IMO.
And I absolutely love the way they ride at 75 front, 85 rear.

Hope that helps.
Old 11-29-16, 10:59 PM
NYC

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by PhotoJoe
I'm torn between the IRC Roadlite's from Heathpack's suggestion and experience and the Schwalbe Pro One. The only reason I'd look at the Pro One right now is the price at Wiggle. I spent more on the wheelset than I should have (or needed), plus Christmas and all that. I'm going to mount up my old Pro4 Endurances at first, though. I want an apples-to-apples comparison of the old and new wheelset. THEN I'll go with the tubeless. I'm enjoying all the input, and the reading that it creates for me. It's a whole world I've never paid attention to.

Please let me know what direction you go, too.
Stopped by Boyd's and paid for my 28's yesterday... and had a nice chat about tire choices.

End of the discussion we ended up keeping regular Michelin Powers, but upping from a 23 to a 25 on the wider wheels. Main reason is that I like how fast Michelins roll, and they didn't really have any tubeless to suggest that would roll any faster. I still may end up running IRC RBCCs or Schwalbe Pro Ones though.

But nobody (industry wide) seems to have much on tire recommendations other than either "this is what I happen to use" or "just get something and run it". Which I find odd.

I put Schwalbe Pro One Tubeless 25's on my commuter (w Stans Grail disc wheels). FWIW, they measure a full 28mm wide on those wheels. I'll use a half bottle of Stan's per tire and see how the experience plays out.
Old 11-29-16, 11:36 PM

Bikes: Domane 5.9, Cannondale Super X, Dedaciai Nuerissimo.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This may sound odd.., but does anyone have issues getting the beads to break? I have Boyd's with Pro 1's and if I need to get them off on the road it's difficult to say the least.
Old 11-30-16, 08:02 AM
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3191 Post(s)
Liked 1,726 Times in 1,044 Posts
Originally Posted by nickw
As a small point of technical clarification, because words do get mixed up in people's heads, is that tubeless tires reduce flats, not punctures. I know that's what you meant to say, but I wanted to mention it up front so we're not confusing people later, as I will explain, when it will be important to distinguish between the two.

Like Old_roadie, I, too, have run tubeless without sealant (in the past), but I did it just to understand how the system worked, not in order to save weight or hassle or anything like that. I did it with Schwalbe One tires, and it worked fine, because those tires have an airtight lining (of butyl, IIRC) and do not require sealant for air retention (on a tubeless ready [TR] rim).

It's also true that a punctured tread-- here is where it's important to distinguish terms-- and casing will tend to "self-heal" behind small intrusions, by which I mean the tread will tend to close around an embedded object or close back together at the hole site, greatly reducing the rate of air loss compared to a punctured tube setup-- which we all know tend to flat very rapidly-- because there is no loss through the rim.

Having the air retention and flat-resistant pieces "in my back pocket" and knowing that I get few punctures, I did do a couple of rides, totaling just over 100 miles, successfully on the Ones without sealant, which assured me of the basic tubeless properties. I do not think there is a compelling reason not to use sealant, however, and I have used it since that test run in '13.

Having also mounted Pro One (and S1, which share the same casing construction) tires without sealant, with very little sealant, and with the recommend amount of sealant, I'm confused by Old_roadie's claim he is running that tire without sealant, because in my experience, and according to Schwalbe's literature, that tire does not have an airtight lining, leaks down quickly, and requires sealant for sufficient air retention.
Old 11-30-16, 09:22 AM
Just Plain Slow

Bikes: Lynskey R230

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by nycphotography
Stopped by Boyd's and paid for my 28's yesterday...

Did they by chance mention when my new wheels are going to ship?
Old 11-30-16, 11:01 AM
Just Plain Slow

Bikes: Lynskey R230

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Nevermind. I just got the confirmation the wheels shipped today! I'm amazed that it was this quick after a BF deal.

Last edited by PhotoJoe; 11-30-16 at 12:28 PM.
Old 11-30-16, 11:14 AM

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Roubaix Pro - Ultegra Drive train - Dura Ave 7900 C24 TLs

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
I'm confused by Old_roadie's claim he is running that tire without sealant, because in my experience, and according to Schwalbe's literature, that tire does not have an airtight lining, leaks down quickly, and requires sealant for sufficient air retention.
I lose about 3 lbs of air a day and I am not using sealant. I currently have 6,141 miles on Schwalbe tires without sealant. and I have not experienced any quick air lose. Yes, I have also read that these tires do not have airtight lining. I do have 391 miles on the Pro 1 tire that I am running on the front, and I have had the same results, fairly typical air lose compared to a tubed tire. But the jury is still out on the Pro 1 without sealant.

To each their own, works for me. Not trying to sell the no sealant idea, just my experience.

Having been an fairly early adapter to road tubeless in 2011 my understanding is that Shimano and Hutchison were the 2 companies that collaborated on road tubeless, and that the system was to not use sealant. (and Shimano's position). I even went to Irvine and talked with several people on the subject. When you get a Shimano rim the tubeless valves do not have a removable core because they do not want you to use sealant in their rims. And from personal experience I can tell you that the Shimano do not like sealant. I also had a set of the 7850 SLs, and they same 'oxidation' occurred on those. I currently am running the Ultegra 6800 TLs without sealant and zero issues.

The funniest thing to me is that the early Hutchinson Fusion 3s leaked at the side wall. And these were the tires that, from what I read, were the ones that were supposed to be air tight. Go figure.
Old 11-30-16, 11:33 AM
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Originally Posted by Old_Roadie
I lose about 3 lbs of air a day and I am not using sealant. I currently have 6,141 miles on Schwalbe tires without sealant. and I have not experienced any quick air lose. Yes, I have also read that these tires do not have airtight lining. I do have 391 miles on the Pro 1 tire that I am running on the front, and I have had the same results, fairly typical air lose compared to a tubed tire. But the jury is still out on the Pro 1 without sealant.

To each their own, works for me. Not trying to sell the no sealant idea, just my experience.

Having been an fairly early adapter to road tubeless in 2011 my understanding is that Shimano and Hutchison were the 2 companies that collaborated on road tubeless, and that the system was to not use sealant. (and Shimano's position). I even went to Irvine and talked with several people on the subject. When you get a Shimano rim the tubeless valves do not have a removable core because they do not want you to use sealant in their rims. And from personal experience I can tell you that the Shimano do not like sealant. I also had a set of the 7850 SLs, and they same 'oxidation' occurred on those. I currently am running the Ultegra 6800 TLs without sealant and zero issues.

The funniest thing to me is that the early Hutchinson Fusion 3s leaked at the side wall. And these were the tires that, from what I read, were the ones that were supposed to be air tight. Go figure.
Have others had success running P1s w/o sealant? I mean, yeah they pump up, but leakdown is substantial and noticeable over the course of a ride. I don't know that I have a pump accurate to 3lbs, so I'm talking 10s of psi.

I'm really curious if others have noticed this, because I'm wondering how to square that against my experiencewith P1 and S1 w/o sealant on two different sets of rims, all which leaked down fast. One of those rims held air in Ones w/o sealant just fine, so I'm not inclined to think it is a rim issue, and both are tubeless specific anyway.

Maybe it's a bead design issue, and P1s work on some rim designs better? Continuing that line of thought, how did you determine the Hutchis were leaking at the sidewall? Can you tell where the leakage is on your P1s or Ones?

I'm honestly curious and confused!
Old 11-30-16, 12:14 PM
NYC

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
If you want to find leaks - soapy water works wonders.

For slow leaks, submerge in water and wait for a bubble to form and grow.

Even a very slow leak will give a bubble every 5 to 10 minutes. You just have to wait patiently.
Old 11-30-16, 08:26 PM
Thread Killer

I know how to find leaks. My questions were to Old-roadie's methodology specifically, so that I can understand their claims.
Old 12-01-16, 09:07 PM

Bikes: too many bikes

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been using Bontragers. I think model is R3. 25mms and 26mms. They have been great. Initially leaked a bit, but once settled in, they hold air real well, ride nice and have not punctured over about 1500 to 2000 miles.
Old 12-02-16, 05:03 AM
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
I've used IRC Roadlites and Specialized S-Works Turbo tubeless. I'm pleased with the IRCs - mine are the 25s and they measures 27mm+ on Ultegra 6800 wheels. The S-Works tubeless are race tires, and less robust than non-race tires; I scraped the sidewall on one putting it in a bike stand and it developed a bulge at that point. (I replaced them with the non-tubeless S-Works Turbos, which are more robust.) My next try will be with the tubeless Roubaixs.

If your bike can fit them, Specialized just came out with a 700x28 S-Works Turbo 2Bliss which have the same price as the non-tubeless versions - $55 each. They're the least expensive tubeless road tires I'm aware of. Unfortunately, the only bike I have that would fit them has non-tubeless wheels.

Demain, on roule!
Old 12-02-16, 06:12 PM
Upgrading my engine

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I tried some Hutchinson Fusion 5s and wasn't happy with those. They felt great, but the rear didn't even last me 1500 miles. I was getting punctures all the time. Sure, sealant fixed most of them, but there's still a mess to clean up and that stuff isn't free.

I switched to Hutchinson Intensive and am much happier. More durable with more flat resistance.

I'll try Maxxis ReFuse next. That's what I was riding before I went tubeless and for the most part I was happy (except for thorns, which the tubeless version should fix). I just wish they made a 28.