Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

No space on handlebars for headlight after installing bike computer

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

No space on handlebars for headlight after installing bike computer

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-18, 08:31 AM

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Similarly to the up front mounts shown here, you can mount the light under the handlebar instead of on top. Even underneath some other accessory, like the bike computer.

Personally I prefer the headlight mounted on the stem, underneath, though it takes a little fussing to get the angle right. Out of the way, and taking up no handlebar space whatsoever.
Old 04-13-18, 09:29 AM

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO, Gunnar Sport, Soma Saga, Workswell WCBR-146

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 19 Posts
You can also get GoPro mounts that sit in your headset spacer stack (I've seen a few 3D printed ones, though I don't know how strong a headset spacer needs to be for safety). If you run your bars high enough, you could probably also flip one of of these around and run the light right-side up, eliminating beam shape problems.

Planet Bike also makes a very nice, solid, fork crown mount for $10 shipped. It has a PB-specific mount, but you can remove it and it exposes a conventional round knob that will work with most handlebar mounts. I use a Dinotte XML-3 with it, though it's a bit of a tight fit since the clamp area is pretty narrow.
Old 04-25-18, 06:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by imperio
I installed a Wahoo Elemnt Bolt on my road bike's handlebar and I don't have any real estate left for my headlight. See pic here (I can't post URLs as I don't yet have 10 posts)
- w ww.roadbikereview.com/reviews/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/BOLT_Launch-138-900x600.jpg -

that is not my bike but it is similar to, and slightly better than the situation I'm currently facing. My handlebars are wrapped a little more than the pic above. I used to have my headlight strapped just to the right of the center, but now if I strap it there, the bike computer blocks a good portion of the light output, as the light sits above the computer and shines slightly downwards.

I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and what alternatives there are. TIA!
Holds up to two devices such as light or computer on stem
Alloy bar is position adjustable
Holds up to 2 accessories (light, computer, smart-phone, etc)
On stem installation only
Utah Trikes - Minoura SwingGrip Accessory Mount Holder

Maybe you can put both Wahoo and light on the stem mount have real estate left on your handle bar?
Old 04-26-18, 06:58 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I already linked a list which also includes the Minoura Grip products.
But since the TO didn't react on any of the replies, i guess this thread got useless.