Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Waterproof frame bags

Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Waterproof frame bags

Reply

Old 09-13-16, 06:09 AM
  #1  
scarleton
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Greater Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 253

Bikes: Lynsky R240 w/ Ultegra Di2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Waterproof frame bags

I have own and used my Revelate Designs frame bag for two years now. When I first got it it would keep things dry in a downpour, but in the last two downpour things got wet. The first one it was bad, there was a 1/2 inch of water in the bottom of the bag and it killed my phone. The second time I put important things in bags and all was well, but things still got wet.

Q1: Anyone know if the bag needs to be weather proofed from time to time?

Q2: Anyone have any experience with other frame bag that do a better job of staying water tight?
scarleton is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-16, 08:20 AM
  #2  
revcp 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota, USA
Posts: 1,050

Bikes: 2011 Surly Troll, 2015 Borealis Yampa, 1985 Trek 720

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Originally Posted by scarleton View Post
I have own and used my Revelate Designs frame bag for two years now. When I first got it it would keep things dry in a downpour, but in the last two downpour things got wet. The first one it was bad, there was a 1/2 inch of water in the bottom of the bag and it killed my phone. The second time I put important things in bags and all was well, but things still got wet.

Q1: Anyone know if the bag needs to be weather proofed from time to time?

Q2: Anyone have any experience with other frame bag that do a better job of staying water tight?
I have a Revelate frame bag as well (two, actually). They are not nor are they advertised as being waterproof, so it was your initial experience of keeping things dry that was the exception.
__________________
Don't complain about the weather and cower in fear. It's all good weather. Just different.
revcp is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-16, 08:34 AM
  #3  
scarleton
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Greater Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 253

Bikes: Lynsky R240 w/ Ultegra Di2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Originally Posted by revcp View Post
I have a Revelate frame bag as well (two, actually). They are not nor are they advertised as being waterproof, so it was your initial experience of keeping things dry that was the exception.
Ah, that is good to know!!!! Any idea of any frame bags that ARE waterproof?
scarleton is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-16, 08:44 AM
  #4  
revcp 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota, USA
Posts: 1,050

Bikes: 2011 Surly Troll, 2015 Borealis Yampa, 1985 Trek 720

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Originally Posted by scarleton View Post
Ah, that is good to know!!!! Any idea of any frame bags that ARE waterproof?
Apidura, I think? I really didn't look around a lot for that. My clothing goes in my saddle bag, my hammock, underquilt and sleeping bag go in a waterproof stuff sack in my bar harness. It's mostly food, tools, glasses, etc. in my framebag. I also have a Revelate gas tank. It holds readily accessible food. an extra light, my phone (best waterproof phone case by far: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1. You can operate the phone through the case, take pics, etc.).

So rather than waterproof your framebag you might instead adjust what you carry in it, as saddle bags and bar bags lend themselves better to water tight closure.
__________________
Don't complain about the weather and cower in fear. It's all good weather. Just different.
revcp is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-16, 08:58 AM
  #5  
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Posts: 39,649

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 167 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6195 Post(s)
Sewing makes holes , seam sealants try to seal those holes,

why is putting things that you wish to keep dry, in plastic zip-lock bags difficult for you?

Ortlieb is world famous for their welded seam waterproofness , they make front and rear bike-packing bags,

but frames are so varied, as are customers desires for shape...

So making dozens of shapes of frame bags , per company , for you, is perhaps a dream..





But ... NB: although, you can always sew one, just for you, yourself ..





./.

Last edited by fietsbob; 09-13-16 at 09:06 AM.
fietsbob is online now  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service