Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Stealth Camping

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Stealth Camping

Old 08-16-18, 09:56 AM
  #26  
Senior Member
 
saddlesores's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Thailand..........Nakhon Nowhere
Posts: 3,664

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1056 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by ricrunner
For showering I bring a Do-Dad ....that attaches to a drink bottle....and a few minute holes in the head. It was expensive at $25....
fill up a pop bottle and let it ride on your rack for an hour or two to absorb solar energy.

a screw-on plastic sody-pop bottle cap makes a fine showerhead after you push a hot needle through it a dozen times.

it's free.

saddlesores is offline  
Old 08-16-18, 11:18 PM
  #27  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: New England
Posts: 792

Bikes: Brompton M6R, Specialized Tricross Comp, Ellsworth Isis, Dahon Speed P8

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I stealth camped/trespassed once. Last year. Private nature center maybe 10 miles from my house. Wanted to get out of the city to try view a meteor shower in the middle of the night. I didn't care for the experience. I didn't like sneaking around and having to rush out early the next day to avoid the possibility of being discovered. The only thing redeeming about it was that shortly after I pitched my tent, a nearby fox started screaming.
FWIW, the game changer for stealth camping for me was the ability to carry my entire rig comfortably... like a 1/4 mile. Single quick release pannier with backpack straps, and bike across the top of my shoulders like carrying 2 water buckets with a pole. Then hike a trail 100-200 yards in, and then bushwhack off trail another 100 yards until out of sight of the trail. Climbing to higher ground can shorten the overall hike, but it's also nice to get far away from road noise. Doesn't even feel like sneaking around - public land that I'm allowed to be in... (well, at least until dark.... shhhh).

The farther you go in and further off trail, the lower the chance of detection, the less you worry, and the better the wilderness experience. You can go in early, sleep/leave late, and enjoy a near backpacking-quality wilderness experience with complete privacy/solitude. I actually love this aspect of it - civilized sightseeing, food, and people by day; followed by my favorite part of backpacking by night.

Tough to do with fully-loaded traditional rigs though...


reppans is offline  
Old 08-17-18, 12:19 PM
  #28  
Senior Member
 
WNCGoater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Western NC mountains
Posts: 931

Bikes: Diamondback Century 3. Marin Four Corners

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Tip for everyone....

Baby wipes


Originally Posted by TiHabanero
Never stealth camped and it sounds like it may just invite trouble someday. Guess I should try it, but not south of the Mason-Dixon line!
We got nothing down here you don't have north of the Mason-Dixon line.

Edit to add: ...except maybe alligators and cottonmouths and those are pretty limited as far as range.

Last edited by WNCGoater; 08-17-18 at 12:28 PM.
WNCGoater is offline  
Old 08-17-18, 12:27 PM
  #29  
Senior Member
 
WNCGoater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Western NC mountains
Posts: 931

Bikes: Diamondback Century 3. Marin Four Corners

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
... "stealth camping" means different things to different people. Stealth camping to someone else may mean camping or private or public land where camping is not permitted.

I stealth camped/trespassed once. I didn't like sneaking around and having to rush out early the next day to avoid the possibility of being discovered.
I guess you're right about it meaning different things to different people.
For me, pulling off the road and going down in the woods, in blissful ignorance of whether the FS or private timber company or individual owns the land is one thing. Intentionally trespassing on private land or camping where you know it isn't legal is inviting trouble. Maybe I'm splitting hairs there. But it's easier to plead ignorance if you truly are ignorant.
Regardless, I've never stealth camped by bike regardless of definition. If I want the wild camping experience, I'll ride the FS gravel in our nearby National Forest. But touring, I've only camped in established campgrounds.
WNCGoater is offline  
Old 08-17-18, 12:37 PM
  #30  
Senior Member
 
mtnbud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Salem Oregon
Posts: 1,032

Bikes: 2019 Trek Stash 7, 1994 Specialized Epic 1986 Diamondback Ascent 1996 Klein Pulse Comp, 2006 Specialized Sequoia Elite

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked 524 Times in 291 Posts
Originally Posted by reppans



FWIW, the game changer for stealth camping for me was the ability to carry my entire rig comfortably... like a 1/4 mile. Single quick release pannier with backpack straps, and bike across the top of my shoulders like carrying 2 water buckets with a pole. Then hike a trail 100-200 yards in, and then bushwhack off trail another 100 yards until out of sight of the trail. Climbing to higher ground can shorten the overall hike, but it's also nice to get far away from road noise. Doesn't even feel like sneaking around - public land that I'm allowed to be in... (well, at least until dark.... shhhh).


The farther you go in and further off trail, the lower the chance of detection, the less you worry, and the better the wilderness experience. You can go in early, sleep/leave late, and enjoy a near backpacking-quality wilderness experience with complete privacy/solitude. I actually love this aspect of it - civilized sightseeing, food, and people by day; followed by my favorite part of backpacking by night.


Tough to do with fully-loaded traditional rigs though...



Good points. Agree totally. On public land to you might want to keep it legal and out of sight. I've found if you set up near nightfall and pack up reasonably early no one will probably even know you were there.


Your bicycle reflectors can give you away if tucked into the trees at night and a cars headlights happen to hit them. I'm remembering a night up in the Willamette National forest when an older Volkswagon van had stopped to investigate the reflection from our bikes they noticed when they were driving by on a secluded gravel road. It had to have been past midnight, closer to 1 or 2 am. I'd assume they saw a reflection and were looking to see if they were seeing the reflection of an animals eyes. Even if they knew it was from bicycles, they were likely curious and nothing else. Still, it makes you realize you have no idea who is in the vehicle just as much as they have no clue who you might be. Since our campsite was totally legal, maybe being in plain sight would be a better way to go...
mtnbud is offline  
Old 08-17-18, 08:52 PM
  #31  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: New England
Posts: 792

Bikes: Brompton M6R, Specialized Tricross Comp, Ellsworth Isis, Dahon Speed P8

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by mtnbud
Good points. Agree totally. On public land to you might want to keep it legal and out of sight. I've found if you set up near nightfall and pack up reasonably early no one will probably even know you were there.


Your bicycle reflectors can give you away if tucked into the trees at night and a cars headlights happen to hit them. I'm remembering a night up in the Willamette National forest when an older Volkswagon van had stopped to investigate the reflection from our bikes they noticed when they were driving by on a secluded gravel road. It had to have been past midnight, closer to 1 or 2 am. I'd assume they saw a reflection and were looking to see if they were seeing the reflection of an animals eyes. Even if they knew it was from bicycles, they were likely curious and nothing else. Still, it makes you realize you have no idea who is in the vehicle just as much as they have no clue who you might be. Since our campsite was totally legal, maybe being in plain sight would be a better way to go...
Yup, I hear you. I'm personally way too far in for car lights to reach, and I store my bike inside my tent anyways, which is either forest green or granite grey, depending upon season. I also do some ADVmoto/dual-sport self-supported touring and with that, do use legal dispersed plain-sight camping sites along the NFS roads. But honestly speaking, I find that much more unsettling - rather deal with weird animals, than weird people when you're out in the middle of the woods.
reppans is offline  
Old 08-18-18, 05:16 AM
  #32  
2-Wheeled Fool
 
J.Higgins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 2,346

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by reppans
I find that much more unsettling - rather deal with weird animals, than weird people when you're out in the middle of the woods.
+1

A good samaritan will stop to help you. A predator will stop to help themselves.
J.Higgins is offline  
Old 08-19-18, 11:06 AM
  #33  
Senior Member
 
irwin7638's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Kalamazoo, Mi.
Posts: 3,098

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 49 Posts
I've been doing it for over 40 years on different trips. It's not something you plan to do, but happens. Water is something you always have to worry about and even at rustic campgrounds you have to compromise on the hygiene by learning to give yourself a sponge bath. Experienced campers realize they rest better if the sweat and dirt are cleaned off before bed time.

Marc
irwin7638 is offline  
Old 08-19-18, 08:43 PM
  #34  
Senior Member
 
saddlesores's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Thailand..........Nakhon Nowhere
Posts: 3,664

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1056 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by jamawani
I'm waiting to hear back from the Colorado Kid.
prolly busy rearranging his sockpuppet drawer....

saddlesores is offline  
Old 08-19-18, 10:47 PM
  #35  
Senior Member
 
mtnbud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Salem Oregon
Posts: 1,032

Bikes: 2019 Trek Stash 7, 1994 Specialized Epic 1986 Diamondback Ascent 1996 Klein Pulse Comp, 2006 Specialized Sequoia Elite

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked 524 Times in 291 Posts
Originally Posted by reppans


Yup, I hear you. I'm personally way too far in for car lights to reach, and I store my bike inside my tent anyways, which is either forest green or granite grey, depending upon season. I also do some ADVmoto/dual-sport self-supported touring and with that, do use legal dispersed plain-sight camping sites along the NFS roads. But honestly speaking, I find that much more unsettling - rather deal with weird animals, than weird people when you're out in the middle of the woods.
Agree 100%
mtnbud is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
blowboat
Touring
4
03-21-19 08:44 PM
clevernamehere
Touring
26
07-02-16 07:36 PM
thesearethesuns
Touring
61
12-06-13 05:51 AM
digibud
Touring
9
10-02-13 09:15 PM
spooner
Touring
34
07-31-10 10:43 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.