Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Affordable backpacking quilt

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Affordable backpacking quilt

Old 08-19-23, 06:42 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 4,409
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1717 Post(s)
Liked 1,328 Times in 694 Posts
Affordable backpacking quilt

Last night my go to quilt got chilly at 50 degrees Fahrenheit. I am now looking for a quilt that will go down to 30 degrees, yet is not in the uber price range. Under 200 bills is the goal. Any hope of finding one that is over 80" in length?
TiHabanero is offline  
Old 08-20-23, 09:16 AM
  #2  
Full Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: North East
Posts: 467
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 48 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
Last night my go to quilt got chilly at 50 degrees Fahrenheit. I am now looking for a quilt that will go down to 30 degrees, yet is not in the uber price range. Under 200 bills is the goal. Any hope of finding one that is over 80" in length?
OneTigris 3 season quilt - $72 - This one might be worth a look - although rated to only 40 degrees, commenters on the youtube review mention that they have used it with an underquilt down to the teens. The reviewer also mentions using an underquilt with it in cooler weather. The length is 78".

Trueblood is offline  
Old 08-21-23, 01:14 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 4,409
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1717 Post(s)
Liked 1,328 Times in 694 Posts
Thanks, Trueblood. Interesting how the reviewer labels it a quilt. More like a sleeping bag with an enclosed footbox. My needs are a full on quilt without an enclosed footbox.
The biggest hurdle is the length. I have found plenty of rectangular sleeping bags that fully unzip and form a quilt like presence, which will work, however finding something over 80" and affordable is proving difficult. I did find a Kelty, but the length is only 76 inches. I guess backpackers are shorter people?
TiHabanero is offline  
Old 08-21-23, 04:54 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
indyfabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 38,796
Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18206 Post(s)
Liked 14,960 Times in 7,083 Posts
I have never even seen a quilt. What advantage does one have over a sleeping bag?
indyfabz is online now  
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 08-21-23, 06:37 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 11,006

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 1,401 Times in 1,098 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I have never even seen a quilt. What advantage does one have over a sleeping bag?
I have never used one, but I have talked to backpackers that cite smaller volume to pack and less weight. I am sticking with sleeping bags.

Last year I bought a new sleeping bag to replace one that is getting a bit tired after about 12 years of use. This is the one I bought.
https://www.rei.com/product/220973/s...-bag-mens-long

The above is the long I bought, the regular size has slightly less weight and packed volume:
https://www.rei.com/product/220972/s...eping-bag-mens

For comparison, that manufacturer makes a quilt to the same spec. Thus, you can compare apples to apples here. Quilt has slightly less weight, slightly smaller packed volume.
https://www.rei.com/product/220960/s...nitro-20-quilt

They list the quilt "fits to" length as between the long and regular sleeping bag lengths, that complicates a direct numerical comparison slightly.

I noticed the two different versions (bag and quilt) because I almost accidently ordered the wrong version.

I will let others that have actually used a quilt explain more since I have not used one. They probably have more reasons to cite.
Tourist in MSN is offline  
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 08-21-23, 07:19 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Golden, CO and Tucson, AZ
Posts: 2,797

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 664 Post(s)
Liked 689 Times in 410 Posts
I bought a 30F down quilt for a bike tour and believe it's the best gear purchase I've ever made. I splurged a bit and bought a nice one made by enLightened Equipment, a bit over $200 ten years ago. (I've finally learned that sleeping insulation is not the place you want to cut corners.) In addition to lower cost, bulk and weight, one of the advantages I discovered is that it stays clean. A few minutes of sun every few days disinfects it easily. I've never had to launder mine.

I'm sure the one I bought costs quite a bit more than $200 now, so I didn't recommend it to the OP. To go cheaper, you'll probably have to get a heavier, bulkier synthetic. There may still be kits and homemade versions on various backpacking forums. It looks like the synthetic "Ray-Way" quilt kit is still available: https://www.rayjardine.com/ray-way/Quilt-Kit/index.php
andrewclaus is offline  
Likes For andrewclaus:
Old 08-21-23, 10:52 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,172
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 92 Posts
Many people don't like quilts because of drafts. I use a sleeping bag but do also have a quilt for car camping.
BikeLite is offline  
Old 08-22-23, 02:47 AM
  #8  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 4,409
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1717 Post(s)
Liked 1,328 Times in 694 Posts
That quilt kit looks interesting and I do know a gal that sews everything under the sun. Will look into it. The only concern is the toe box, but there may be a way to design around it.
As far as quilt vs sleeping bag, a bag is too confining for me. I have a really nice bag that will get me down into the 20's, but it is simply too confining, especially in the foot area. A quilt allows for better heat regulation and certainly doesn't restrict movement during the night.
TiHabanero is offline  
Old 08-23-23, 04:58 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
balto charlie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Baltimore/DC
Posts: 2,942
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by andrewclaus
I bought a 30F down quilt for a bike tour and believe it's the best gear purchase I've ever made. I splurged a bit and bought a nice one made by enLightened Equipment, a bit over $200 ten years ago. (I've finally learned that sleeping insulation is not the place you want to cut corners.) In addition to lower cost, bulk and weight, one of the advantages I discovered is that it stays clean. A few minutes of sun every few days disinfects it easily. I've never had to launder mine.

I'm sure the one I bought costs quite a bit more than $200 now, so I didn't recommend it to the OP. To go cheaper, you'll probably have to get a heavier, bulkier synthetic. There may still be kits and homemade versions on various backpacking forums. It looks like the synthetic "Ray-Way" quilt kit is still available: https://www.rayjardine.com/ray-way/Quilt-Kit/index.php
This is the one I bought years ago when the guy was just starting out his company. Excellent workmanship. It does have a toe box though.
balto charlie is offline  
Old 08-24-23, 08:41 AM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
bktourer1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Western Ma.
Posts: 948

Bikes: Diamondback "parkway" Spec. "expedition

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 39 Times in 31 Posts
Try this site Quilts & Sleeping Bags – Garage Grown Gear
bktourer1 is offline  
Old 08-24-23, 05:25 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 4,409
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1717 Post(s)
Liked 1,328 Times in 694 Posts
Garage Grown Gear certainly looks like really nice stuff, unfortunately it is outside my definition of affordable. I have contacted my seamstress friend and am waiting for some ideas from her. She can make anything I want in down or other fill at less than half the cost I can find online.
TiHabanero is offline  
Old 08-25-23, 11:39 AM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,172
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
I have contacted my seamstress friend and am waiting for some ideas from her. She can make anything I want in down or other fill at less than half the cost I can find online.
lol
BikeLite is offline  
Old 08-26-23, 10:36 AM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 5,196
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 80 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
Garage Grown Gear certainly looks like really nice stuff, unfortunately it is outside my definition of affordable. I have contacted my seamstress friend and am waiting for some ideas from her. She can make anything I want in down or other fill at less than half the cost I can find online.

Then she is selling herself short.
LeeG is offline  
Old 08-26-23, 10:42 AM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 5,196
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 80 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I have never even seen a quilt. What advantage does one have over a sleeping bag?

I got one for sitting out watching the stars. Jackís R Better model with velcro center slot for wearing like a serape. The advantages are slight compared to a sleeping bag for sleeping but it has more utility beyond sleeping. Just donít sit near fires or smoke wearing it,
LeeG is offline  
Old 08-26-23, 11:32 PM
  #15  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 4,409
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1717 Post(s)
Liked 1,328 Times in 694 Posts
Friends help each other out, hence she is helping me out. Silvia is one smart lady when it comes to this stuff and the ideas just flow from her mind. Her first thought was why reinvent what I already have, and she proposed adding a layer that can be attached to the existing quilt or removed when temps don't warrant it, plus the layer can do double duty in warmer temps as a single thin layer.
Next proposal was a rectangular sack to be used under the existing quilt. I will have to think about this as I don't like being confined in a "bag".
Then this popped into her mind, a dual fill, one layer down, and a second layer a batt. I told her about size constraints during storage on the bike, and she quickly ruled it out.
I'm sure she will come up with something.
TiHabanero is offline  
Old 08-27-23, 02:38 AM
  #16  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 11,006

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 1,401 Times in 1,098 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
Friends help each other out, hence she is helping me out. Silvia is one smart lady when it comes to this stuff and the ideas just flow from her mind. Her first thought was why reinvent what I already have, and she proposed adding a layer that can be attached to the existing quilt or removed when temps don't warrant it, plus the layer can do double duty in warmer temps as a single thin layer.
Next proposal was a rectangular sack to be used under the existing quilt. I will have to think about this as I don't like being confined in a "bag".
....
Great invention, you could call it a sleeping bag.
Tourist in MSN is offline  
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 08-27-23, 03:28 AM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 4,083
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,092 Times in 1,310 Posts
I have the Katabatic Palisades quilt, no drafts. They offer many sizing options but it is around $400. It is rated to 30F. I have 2 oz overstuffed down in it and it is comfortable down into the lower 20's and have had it to 15F but was chilly. This quilt will weigh 18-22 oz depending on size and down type selected

The benefits to a quilt for me as a side sleeper is comfort as they are far less constraining than a traditional bag. On a warmer night, I can disconnect the quilt from the air mattress and sort of use it as a blanket.

This one is about as value orientated as you can go in my opinion and you can get it in different size and fills, they rate to comfort

https://hammockgear.com/economy-burr...QGsX00&irgwc=1
GhostRider62 is offline  
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 08-27-23, 08:00 AM
  #18  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2023
Posts: 136
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 28 Posts
I find odd the idea of sleeping directly on the mattress. Seems to me a regular bag with full length zipper can be used just as well as a quilt when open, but you can also have the draft-free warmth when you need it and the comfort of sleeping on something other that rubber.

There are wide or rectangular bags that are much less confining than a mummy.

I've always used a liner in a sleeping bag which can be used by itself and is easy to wash (make them myself and they stay in place with velcro).
Paul_P is offline  
Old 08-27-23, 08:19 AM
  #19  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: SE Wyoming
Posts: 607

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
U.S. Army poncho liners are 63" by 80" and under $25. Probably not good at 30 degrees.
Inusuit is offline  
Old 08-27-23, 09:16 AM
  #20  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 4,083
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,092 Times in 1,310 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul_P
I find odd the idea of sleeping directly on the mattress. Seems to me a regular bag with full length zipper can be used just as well as a quilt when open, but you can also have the draft-free warmth when you need it and the comfort of sleeping on something other that rubber.

There are wide or rectangular bags that are much less confining than a mummy.

I've always used a liner in a sleeping bag which can be used by itself and is easy to wash (make them myself and they stay in place with velcro).
I find it very odd when in a mummy or rectangular that lays on top of my thermarest that when I roll or turn, the mattress displaces somewhere into the hinterlands of the tent. My quilt and mattress are connected and my body is on top of the mattress. The insulation of a sleeping bag is so compress under you that it have negligible insulation value anyway.
GhostRider62 is offline  
Old 08-27-23, 10:36 AM
  #21  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: US
Posts: 811
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 120 Posts
I used a synthetic down quilt (birthday gift from family) this summer on an air mattress rather than the 1985 Cats Meow SB. I enjoyed being able to sleep more as I do in a bed. I'd think it has it's temp limits.
Chuck Naill is offline  
Old 08-27-23, 10:55 AM
  #22  
Senior Member
 
zandoval's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bastrop Texas
Posts: 4,322

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 1,500 Times in 970 Posts
How about a Silk Blanket with one side reflective and the other Black. Take a step back to the 1942 survival blanket...
__________________
No matter where you're at... There you are... Δf:=f(1/2)-f(-1/2)
zandoval is offline  
Old 08-27-23, 11:10 AM
  #23  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 11,006

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 1,401 Times in 1,098 Posts
This post is with sleeping bags, not quilt, thus off topic.

A gal I used to work with always used a sleeping bag liner, she said that her sleeping bag stayed much cleaner that way. That was over a dozen years ago, I started doing the same. And I find that I am washing the sleeping bags a lot less often than I used to when I use a liner.

I find that on a warm night I can start using only the sleeping bag liner, and as it cools, use more of the sleeping bag over the top of me.

I have two, one silk for light weight and one microfleece for more insulation on colder trips.
Tourist in MSN is offline  
Old 08-27-23, 11:37 AM
  #24  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: US
Posts: 811
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 120 Posts
I never wash as sleeping bag. I did once after a house fire to remove the smoky smell. Washing can reduce the loft.
Chuck Naill is offline  
Old 08-27-23, 03:27 PM
  #25  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 4,409
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1717 Post(s)
Liked 1,328 Times in 694 Posts
Tourist in MSN, it could also be dubbed a sleeping bag liner. Now, what differentiates one from the other? Hmmmm, gonna have to think on this one.

Over 100 bucks for an insulated quilt is pricey to me as it is simply a blanket made from lightweight material. Down is not pricey from what I have been told and light nylon in ripstop form is common and relatively inexpensive. Silvia believes with fabric, thread and insulation the 100 dollar threshold is easily achievable.
TiHabanero is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.