Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

brooks flyer springiness

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

brooks flyer springiness

Old 07-24-10, 05:09 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 82
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
brooks flyer springiness

I love my B17 saddle, and since I haven't been as comfortable on a wide variety of others I've tried, want to stick with the basic design of it. It's only on long rides that the bottom gets a bit sore; perfectly comfortable for anything else.
When I tour I tend to stay in the saddle the whole time, and when city-riding / commuting I'm on and off it at intervals, to stand on the pedals for quick acceleration, etc. That may be why it never bothers me in those conditions, but I think the cumulative effect of road shocks transmitted through the rigid saddle may cause fatigue on longer trips.

I bought a B67 for another bike, but that saddle is too saggy for me even after lacing, and the springs are mushy and tend to make the saddle rock when pedaling.

If you ride a Brooks Flyer, do you note the rocking and the mushiness, or is the springing effect slight / subtle? Anyone tried that other B17-based model, the one with the single spring instead of the two coils? Love to hear about it.
Thanks,
Chas.
bay area biker is offline  
Old 07-24-10, 06:46 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
gregw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 988
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bay area biker
I love my B17 saddle, and since I haven't been as comfortable on a wide variety of others I've tried, want to stick with the basic design of it. It's only on long rides that the bottom gets a bit sore; perfectly comfortable for anything else.
When I tour I tend to stay in the saddle the whole time, and when city-riding / commuting I'm on and off it at intervals, to stand on the pedals for quick acceleration, etc. That may be why it never bothers me in those conditions, but I think the cumulative effect of road shocks transmitted through the rigid saddle may cause fatigue on longer trips.

I bought a B67 for another bike, but that saddle is too saggy for me even after lacing, and the springs are mushy and tend to make the saddle rock when pedaling.

If you ride a Brooks Flyer, do you note the rocking and the mushiness, or is the springing effect slight / subtle? Anyone tried that other B17-based model, the one with the single spring instead of the two coils? Love to hear about it.
Thanks,
Chas.
I have the Flyer and love it! The springs do not feel mushy at all, in fact, I think that if you are a light weight person, the springs could be too stiff for maximum benefit. I'm 225 lbs and the springs seem perfect, hope that helps.

A good habit to get into is taking your weight off your bottom anytime you coast, you don't have to stand up, just shift your weight to one or other of the pedals, just enough to keep the blood flowing. It took some persistance, but now I do it without thinking and it really helps on a long day.
gregw is offline  
Old 07-24-10, 07:13 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 82
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gregw
I have the Flyer and love it! The springs do not feel mushy at all, in fact, I think that if you are a light weight person, the springs could be too stiff for maximum benefit. I'm 225 lbs and the springs seem perfect, hope that helps.

A good habit to get into is taking your weight off your bottom anytime you coast, you don't have to stand up, just shift your weight to one or other of the pedals, just enough to keep the blood flowing. It took some persistance, but now I do it without thinking and it really helps on a long day.
Thanks for that, good advice, and very interesting about the rider weight. The "rocking" or bouncing B67 was ridden by me, a 130-lb rider! Although when I was riding it a lot I was about 15 pounds heavier. That B67 is really a "comfort bike" saddle, IMO; about right for one of those bolt-upright-riding Dutch bikes, over cobblestones or boardwalks.

If the Flyer springs are as stiff as you say, I may get no benefit as you suggest. Very interesting.
The basic B17 shape fits me like a glove, even without break-in. I think it's even a little less comfortable when well broken-in.
bay area biker is offline  
Old 07-25-10, 04:33 AM
  #4  
Membership Not Required
 
wahoonc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: On the road-USA
Posts: 16,855

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
I am a bigger rider (200# range) I have a flyer on one of my bikes, the only time I notice the springs is when I hit heavier bumps and jars where I didn't have time to lighten up off the saddle. I would give one a try, get it from Wallingford Bikes and you can return it with in 6 months if it doesn't work out for you. I also have B66 and B67 saddles on my more upright bikes and the springs on those are a bit more active but I would expect that because of the upright position transferring more weight to them. If the springs were super supple for a lightweight rider I would check and make sure they were tight.

Aaron
__________________
Webshots is bailing out, if you find any of my posts with corrupt picture files and want to see them corrected please let me know. :(

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
wahoonc is offline  
Old 07-25-10, 06:10 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Waynesboro,PA
Posts: 301

Bikes: 08 LHT and 13 giant defy 2 composite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I also have the flyer saddle and love it.At 145 pounds I don't notice any mushyness.
Mostly the only time I notice the springs is when I hit bumps,it takes little of the jaring out.
I also notice the springs when I am rideing on rough roads or dirt roads.
I don't think the springs are intended to be springy,just there to help take the edge off.
jdom is offline  
Old 07-25-10, 05:34 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Alberta,Canada.
Posts: 800
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Theres definitely a correlation between body weight and the springiness of the B-17 Flyer. When i first got mine i weighed 200lbs. Im now down to 180 and i notice the bike doesnt ride quite as nice as it did. Slight harshness compared to before and nothing but weight has changed. Guess that saddle had spoiled me at previous weight. I have a straight B-17 which now doesnt feel any different when installed. May keep it on as its quite a bit lighter and my Carradice saddle bag fits better with it.
ddez is offline  
Old 07-25-10, 06:03 PM
  #7  
Avalokiteshvara
 
alanthealan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: MD
Posts: 93

Bikes: LHT, Trek 930, Spot Longboard 9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I only notice when it squeaks (which it does a fair amount), when I hit bumps, or I think about dropping two pounds off my bike. But I know it really helps on rough surface tours. I'm 250.
alanthealan is offline  
Old 07-25-10, 06:23 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 82
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All replies were most helpful; thanks much.
I think it may take the edge off unavoidable bumps. I stay on pavement 99.9% of the time, but there are times when chewed-up pavement is hit, either because I was daydreaming or because of avoiding cars and whatnot. #%$** speed bumps are popular around here; some are smooth enough but others are brutal. The lips or "curblets" when entering driveways are my biggest pet peeve. Some of those are really high. They are curbs for all intents and purposes.
Thanks again.
bay area biker is offline  
Old 07-25-10, 06:44 PM
  #9  
Membership Not Required
 
wahoonc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: On the road-USA
Posts: 16,855

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by alanthealan
I only notice when it squeaks (which it does a fair amount), when I hit bumps, or I think about dropping two pounds off my bike. But I know it really helps on rough surface tours. I'm 250.
See if you can figure out where the squeaks are coming from; tighten the spring bolts, and put some white lithium or even Proofide at the tops. I have had the adjuster squeak too, where it was riveted on, a dab of light grease there doesn't hurt either.

Aaron
__________________
Webshots is bailing out, if you find any of my posts with corrupt picture files and want to see them corrected please let me know. :(

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
wahoonc is offline  
Old 07-26-10, 06:59 AM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Bentley6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Winchester, Il.
Posts: 169

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ddez
Theres definitely a correlation between body weight and the springiness of the B-17 Flyer. When i first got mine i weighed 200lbs. Im now down to 180 and i notice the bike doesnt ride quite as nice as it did. Slight harshness compared to before and nothing but weight has changed. Guess that saddle had spoiled me at previous weight. I have a straight B-17 which now doesnt feel any different when installed. May keep it on as its quite a bit lighter and my Carradice saddle bag fits better with it.
I too have a B17 Flyer and weigh about 180. I have not found any advantage to the springs. I've put about 500-600 miles on it and still it's not as comfortable as I'd like. It starts getting a little sore after only about 10 miles or so. I've did some rides over 70 miles with it and I was really sore when done. I have a B17 Champion Special that feels better so I may swap it with the Flyer for my upcoming bike tour in September.
Bentley6 is offline  
Old 07-26-10, 11:41 AM
  #11  
What, me hurry?
 
Boston Commuter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 235

Bikes: Rivendell Atlantis, 1987 Peugeot Iseran mixte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a B67 on one bike and a Flyer on another (both are the "short" model). I weigh 120 lbs. My Flyer springs are stiffer, with less "give", than the ones on my B67, and the leather is thicker and harder. The springs on the Flyer do seem to help a little bit with unexpected jolts, but I wonder if I would have been just as well off with a B17 instead.
Boston Commuter is offline  
Old 07-26-10, 11:48 AM
  #12  
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Posts: 43,598

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Could put the unsprung one on a suspension seatpost.
fietsbob is offline  
Old 07-26-10, 02:28 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,570
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
* only $25
* dampening adjuster
* lock out on side
* fortified seal system
* innovative clamp design
* no 'pogo' effect

mijome07 is offline  
Old 07-27-10, 07:12 AM
  #14  
Velocipedic Practitioner
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 488

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Bianchi Volpe, Trek 5000, Santana Arriva tandem, Pashley Sovereign, among others

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Love my flyer. I'm 170 and the springs don't seem to have any mushiness at all.
I like it that my springs squeak. It lets me know they're working.
PurpleK is offline  
Old 07-27-10, 11:51 AM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Hollister, CA
Posts: 455

Bikes: Bianchi San Jose, Mercian King of Mercia

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I most frequently ride on two bikes, one with a B17 and the other with the Ch. Flyer. I notice three differences: the Flyer is heavier, but that's not apparent on the touring bike that it rides on. The Flyer often makes a few comments -- squeaking. The Flyer is not spongy, and I only notice the springs when I hit a pothole or something like it that I hadn't noticed (I look around too much). Then it takes the edge off the hit. I appreciate that, and I think my bike does too. I think that hitting something while in the saddle accentuates the bike and its assorted bits, and I have enough anecdotal history to support my notion.

I like the B17 for my fixed gear and the Champ for the tourer, but that's just me and my arse voting. By the by, 220 pounds right now and hoping for less soon.
paxtonm is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
kalash74
Commuting
6
08-12-16 10:00 AM
jdefran
Classic & Vintage
4
04-29-13 08:07 AM
KC8QVO
Touring
14
04-26-13 04:35 AM
BloodMoonGrrl
Commuting
3
07-13-11 07:14 PM
the watcher
General Cycling Discussion
9
02-28-11 03:42 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.