Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Training plan for MS Ride

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Training plan for MS Ride

Old 10-14-14, 08:29 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
-VELOCITY-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Miami, Florida
Posts: 1,919

Bikes: Giant Revel 2 & Loco Fixie "The Marley"

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Training plan for MS Ride

It's been several years since I last did an MS Ride. And honestly I never properly trained for those. This time I'd like to be as prepared as possible. Anyone know of any good MS Ride training plans? It's 175 miles in two days.

Thanks
-VELOCITY- is offline  
Old 10-14-14, 09:53 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
GravelMN's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Rural Minnesota
Posts: 1,604
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by -VELOCITY-
It's been several years since I last did an MS Ride. And honestly I never properly trained for those. This time I'd like to be as prepared as possible. Anyone know of any good MS Ride training plans? It's 175 miles in two days.

Thanks
I've done several Tour de Cure (diabetes) and MS rides. They are non-competitive with plenty of rest stops, so I don't do a lot of training specific to those rides. In the two months leading up to the rides, I try to do one progressively longer ride a week with at least the last couple being centuries. On other riding days I do some hill climbs and sprints mixed into mid-distance rides two or three times a week. Just as important is to take a couple of easy days (nothing but relaxed recreational riding, or off the bike entirely) at least once or twice a week to allow adequate recovery. Overtraining is just as bad as undertraining, so make sure you plan for adequate recovery. In the last days before the event, take it easy. If it is a choice between one more day of intense training or one more day of rest, choose the rest. Hard training stresses your body to trigger adaptation, the actual improvements come during the recovery phase.

Good nutrition and plenty of sleep are very important. Also pay attention to your on bike hydration and nourishment, don't try something radically different on the day of the event, everything should be very familiar and well tested.
GravelMN is offline  
Old 10-14-14, 11:50 PM
  #3  
In Real Life
 
Machka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Down under down under
Posts: 52,152

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 593 Times in 327 Posts
Originally Posted by -VELOCITY-
It's been several years since I last did an MS Ride. And honestly I never properly trained for those. This time I'd like to be as prepared as possible. Anyone know of any good MS Ride training plans? It's 175 miles in two days.

Thanks
What distance are you currently riding on weekends? During the week?

And when is the ride?
Machka is offline  
Old 10-16-14, 08:37 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
-VELOCITY-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Miami, Florida
Posts: 1,919

Bikes: Giant Revel 2 & Loco Fixie "The Marley"

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
What distance are you currently riding on weekends? During the week?

And when is the ride?
Right now my riding is pretty sporadic. For the most part my longest ride is Wednesday. 30 miles. With a few 8-12 mile rides in the morning. 2 times a week. Haven't started weekend riding yet since I'm currently working Saturdays. But I will in a few weeks.
-VELOCITY- is offline  
Old 10-16-14, 08:38 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
-VELOCITY-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Miami, Florida
Posts: 1,919

Bikes: Giant Revel 2 & Loco Fixie "The Marley"

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GravelMN
I've done several Tour de Cure (diabetes) and MS rides. They are non-competitive with plenty of rest stops, so I don't do a lot of training specific to those rides. In the two months leading up to the rides, I try to do one progressively longer ride a week with at least the last couple being centuries. On other riding days I do some hill climbs and sprints mixed into mid-distance rides two or three times a week. Just as important is to take a couple of easy days (nothing but relaxed recreational riding, or off the bike entirely) at least once or twice a week to allow adequate recovery. Overtraining is just as bad as undertraining, so make sure you plan for adequate recovery. In the last days before the event, take it easy. If it is a choice between one more day of intense training or one more day of rest, choose the rest. Hard training stresses your body to trigger adaptation, the actual improvements come during the recovery phase.

Good nutrition and plenty of sleep are very important. Also pay attention to your on bike hydration and nourishment, don't try something radically different on the day of the event, everything should be very familiar and well tested.
Some pretty good advice here thank you.
Though being in South Florida, what are hills? LOL
-VELOCITY- is offline  
Old 10-16-14, 03:01 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
GravelMN's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Rural Minnesota
Posts: 1,604
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by -VELOCITY-
Some pretty good advice here thank you.
Though being in South Florida, what are hills? LOL
If you lack hills, you may substitute wind
GravelMN is offline  
Old 10-16-14, 04:56 PM
  #7  
In Real Life
 
Machka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Down under down under
Posts: 52,152

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 593 Times in 327 Posts
Originally Posted by -VELOCITY-
Right now my riding is pretty sporadic. For the most part my longest ride is Wednesday. 30 miles. With a few 8-12 mile rides in the morning. 2 times a week. Haven't started weekend riding yet since I'm currently working Saturdays. But I will in a few weeks.
1) Start increasing your long ride by 10% ... or a bit more if you're feeling good. So next week, go out and do something in the neighbourhood of 33 or maybe 35 miles. The following week you might try something up around 36-38 miles. If you're feeling really good, maybe even 40 miles.

2) Ride more often. Aim for at least 4 days a week, preferably 5, perhaps even 6 days some weeks. But if you're feeling really tired, take a couple days off.

3) Try to get some back-to-back long rides in there. So in a few weeks, you might try 50 miles on Saturday and 50 miles on Sunday. A few weeks later, you might try 75 miles on Saturday and 75 miles on Sunday.

4) Vary things ... ride different terrain, ride in different weather conditions, ride different speeds, ride different routes.

5) Throw in some other activity as well ... stretching (yoga/pilates), a bit of walking (you might go for a brisk 30-min walk at lunch), some core work.

6) While you're increasing your distances, experiment with nutrition. Find out what works for you. Start with 200-300 calories per hour on rides over 2 hours.

7) On all your rides, aim to drink one 750 ml bottle of water and/or sports drink every 1 to 1.5 hours.
Machka is offline  
Old 10-17-14, 06:32 AM
  #8  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
-VELOCITY-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Miami, Florida
Posts: 1,919

Bikes: Giant Revel 2 & Loco Fixie "The Marley"

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by -VELOCITY-
Some pretty good advice here thank you.
Though being in South Florida, what are hills? LOL
Yeah. We certainly have wind here.
-VELOCITY- is offline  
Old 10-17-14, 06:33 AM
  #9  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
-VELOCITY-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Miami, Florida
Posts: 1,919

Bikes: Giant Revel 2 & Loco Fixie "The Marley"

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
1) Start increasing your long ride by 10% ... or a bit more if you're feeling good. So next week, go out and do something in the neighbourhood of 33 or maybe 35 miles. The following week you might try something up around 36-38 miles. If you're feeling really good, maybe even 40 miles.

2) Ride more often. Aim for at least 4 days a week, preferably 5, perhaps even 6 days some weeks. But if you're feeling really tired, take a couple days off.

3) Try to get some back-to-back long rides in there. So in a few weeks, you might try 50 miles on Saturday and 50 miles on Sunday. A few weeks later, you might try 75 miles on Saturday and 75 miles on Sunday.

4) Vary things ... ride different terrain, ride in different weather conditions, ride different speeds, ride different routes.

5) Throw in some other activity as well ... stretching (yoga/pilates), a bit of walking (you might go for a brisk 30-min walk at lunch), some core work.

6) While you're increasing your distances, experiment with nutrition. Find out what works for you. Start with 200-300 calories per hour on rides over 2 hours.

7) On all your rides, aim to drink one 750 ml bottle of water and/or sports drink every 1 to 1.5 hours.
Excellent and informative post. Thank you very much.
-VELOCITY- is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Paul.
Training & Nutrition
19
02-11-15 02:31 PM
steve2k
Training & Nutrition
3
05-20-13 08:32 AM
thedeadone
Road Cycling
8
04-16-11 04:03 PM
stevehollx
Training & Nutrition
10
10-29-10 10:37 AM
Prairie Native
Road Cycling
37
05-11-10 01:37 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.