Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Totally, totally Discouraged.........

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-08, 03:18 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts

Today's ride left me with the feeling I might not even ride again.........

Never mind it was cool-32 degrees at the start with a steady 10 mph wind. The discouraging part is the pain under my left sit bone. There is definitely a small knot there now and after 25-30 miles the pain just shoots through my body. I cannot find a comfortable spot on the saddle-except to stand and pedal. Plus the harder I pedal when sitting the worse the pain gets.

I also have a "mass" on the other side or under my right cheekbone that I've had checked out by the best doctors around and we've opted to just leave it alone. I've been able to tolerate it for a couple years but it "squishes around" under my right sit bone as I pedal along. I guess the left side has finally gotten jealous of being pain free and is really taking it out on me.

I've tried different saddles, moved the saddle position around and even resorted to some old gel shorts but nothing I've tried seems to provide any relief. I'm out of ideas of things to try. I've ridden with lots of pain in my joints and body before on 100 mile rides but this just one takes all the pleasure out of being out on a bike. I guess this 'ol body has decided that 30,000 miles is enough. I just wish it had consulted me first!

Sorry to be so negative but this is really frustrating.......
Old 01-05-08, 03:27 PM

Bikes: Atlantis, Jack Taylor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ah, that's sad. Hiking and swimming, snorkeling, archery, birding, fishing... maybe what we need is an exhaustive list of what you can do outdoors that involves very little sitting down.
Old 01-05-08, 03:45 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
jppe: I'd be discouraged too. But you seem to love cycling too much to just walk away. I can't believe that there isn't a solution to be found. Maybe this is like the 75-80 mile mark for me when riding a century. It's reached the point where I'm so tired that I want to give up. Yet. somehow I always find a way to finish it. Do you have access to a physician who is also a cyclist? Maybe even one who just specializes in sports medicine?
Old 01-05-08, 03:54 PM
OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach

Bikes: Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That does suck, its no fun cycling if your in pain. I would try a few different physicians before I chucked it in. Worse case take 6-12 months off the bike and try something else and see if it clears up, it is winter, maybe things will be better by spring. It sounds like trying to ride through it is just making it worse.

2013 Noah RS
Old 01-05-08, 03:55 PM
Squirrel

Bikes: Borthwick Touring bike, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, ?? Bianchi Torino

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Maybe a recumbent?
Old 01-05-08, 04:05 PM
Approaching Nirvana

Bikes: Catrike Expedition

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by solveg
Maybe a recumbent?
That's what I would try. And you don't have to be slow on a bent.
Old 01-05-08, 04:17 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is awful news and it hits me real bad. I hate hearing this! I too agree that perhaps taking a few months off, or trying a recumbent, is the next step. You're such a hero to me I can't imagine you not cycling. I hope that a cure for what ails you can be found. Hang in there!!!

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 01-05-08, 04:35 PM

Bikes: Scott CR1 Team

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I gave up cycling for 15 years because of some neck surgery. Last June, I got back into it again, thanks to a great recumbent. Do yourself a favor and investigate what's out there. I've done 4 centuries so far without a trace of neck, back, or butt pain.
Old 01-05-08, 04:37 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yeah. Time to consider a recumbent.
Old 01-05-08, 04:46 PM
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
jppe, you are the ironman of this group, and I really admire you. While you can ride rings around me, I think we have shared some things in common--notably a possible failure to factor in the role of rest and recovery. This has led to a number of nagging injuries on my part and the occasional feeling of burnout. I think, after all this time, I'm beginning to pace myself more, including more time off the bike, more hiking and other activities.

Taking some time off the bike--maybe a month or even more--might also be all you need. Then when you come back, start slow and build back up gradually to your previous level of fitness--or maybe a little less, if you want.

I leave you with best wishes and q quote from Joe Friel's "Cycling Past 50:" The most important pieces of the training puzzle for the serious past-50 rider are rest and recovery.
Old 01-05-08, 04:56 PM

Bikes: Felt Z35

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't quit till you have seen a good sports med. doctor. Please.
Old 01-05-08, 05:12 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Echo all above....especially the admiration we all feel for your dedication, mileage, and pure, expressed pleasure in riding. Remember, as you would tell any of us, that you have options-- from rest to recumbency for a time to a sports/cycling oriented doctor. Without getting hokey...it's the old Lance thing...and glad we are that it's not exactly the Lance thing.
Old 01-05-08, 05:30 PM

Bikes: Rans V2-Catrike Expedition

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ditto the recumbent
Old 01-05-08, 05:31 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This is my biggest worry as I ride more and more. That some medical something or other will stop me in my tracks. As I'm a medical moron, I can give no advice, outside of encouraging you to aggressively dog your doctors, or find new ones. I've known many people over the years who had curable maladies that plagued them for years until they found the right doctor.

Sports medicine has made tremendous advances over the past 20 years and that knowledge is distributed quite unevenly throughout the medical world. Which is understandable, as I don't know how doctors could possible keep up with this rate of change.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 01-05-08, 05:36 PM
cycling fanatic

Bikes: Cannondale T800

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have Achilles problems that stopped me from running and other sports many years ago, and I am even limited in the amount of walking I can do. Plus I am stiff everywhere except where I want to be (Rodney Dangerfield). However I am so pleased that nothing has stopped me from cycling, so I feel your pain.

As others have suggested, it looks like a recumbent is what you need.
Old 01-05-08, 05:36 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Best of luck, jppe. You have been a great source of inspiration for many of us. I am sorry to see you are having troubles riding. I hope that you and your doctors can find a good solution to get you active again, hopefully on your bikes. But even if you have to resort to (gasp) recumbents, I know you will find some way to keep going. Hang in there.
Old 01-05-08, 05:41 PM

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Maybe some rest and recovery will help. But it is wise to always have lumps and bumps inside our bodies checked. Good luck to you.
Old 01-05-08, 05:46 PM

Bikes: Waterford, Orbea, Giant

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My advice: Don't give up without a fight.

A few months ago I had a very similar issue, pain on my left sitbone. Mine seemed to be some sort of knot in there that caused a surface saddle sore. When I would ride, it started out sort of ok, but after a while would start hurting and nothing I could do fixed it. The answer turned out to be lowering my saddle a bit more than 1/8th inch. I dont know what changed but it got better and better after that and now is fine.

Wouldn't hurt to try (I hope you havent done that already!)
Old 01-05-08, 06:06 PM
Riding Heaven's Highwayson the grand tour

Bikes: '10 C'Dale Tandem RT2. '07 Trek Tandem T2000, '10 Epic Marathon MTB, '12 Rocky Mountain Element 950 MTB, '95 C'dale R900, "04 Giant DS 2 '07 Kona Jake the Snake, '95 Nishiki Backroads

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+100 on another doctor, particularly a sports doc that understands what we are about. Some well meaning MD's can give some really bad advice...Get aggressive with the medical side until you get answers that makes sense to you!
Also, be patient with yourself and give plenty of time to heal, both are really important. Your deal really hits home hard... I thought I would never run and cycle again after a car accident caused multiple fractured and compressed vertebrae in my early 50's. I tried to come back a year after I thought I was healed and it was a crushing disaster. I pretty much gave up on both and went on to other things. Then 3 years later almost by accident I got a chance to ride again and everything came back even the running. I don't know you but I feel for you, I know it is a crap time.. but good things happen every day...and they sure can for you. Wishing you the very best.
Bill J.

Old 01-05-08, 06:06 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How do you spell R-E-L-I-E-F ?

How do you spell R-E-L-I-E-F ?
(if you are old enough for this forum, you will remember that advertising slogan)

... R-E-C-U-M-B-E-N-T

Seriously, as others suggest, see at least one if not two good sports medicine MD's. You might ask in advance if they have a particular interest in bicycling and/or post an inquiry in Bike Forums' road or general subforums for a sports medicine doc recommendation in your metropolitan area.

As an alternative to taking it lying down (recumbent), Peter White Cycles provides this link with the recommendation "Pedersen Bicycles are amazingly comfortable. I'm not kidding. You just won't believe how comfortable these bikes are." I've never even seen, much less pedaled one, but it just might be an upright alternative to the conventional diamond-frame LINK.

Finally, if all else fails and as others posted, consider other outdoor exercise-oriented activities. Rowing (crew) clubs are usually eager for newcomers. It avoids sudden stresses and provides a better all body workout than cycling. If you want real adventure, there's the Ocean Rowing Society LINK. If only you faced the direction you rowed.

Last edited by Giro; 01-05-08 at 06:08 PM. Reason: Title not displayed.
Old 01-05-08, 06:49 PM
Lost in Nostalgia

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
jppe,
What are these "masses"? something growing on the sit bones itself like a cyst or something like bursitis?
With the sit bones so close to the surface, can some light surgery help?

Just wondering.
knotty
Old 01-05-08, 08:22 PM
train safe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
get a second opinon-- and when you go 'bent (if that's the road you choose), I saw one when I did Mountains of Misery a couple of years ago-- It had 4 chainrings, and the guy said it was slow uphill, but it coulde climb anything

train safe-
Old 01-05-08, 08:34 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
We think of doctors as magicians sometimes - they know magical things that we do not and they can fix whatever mysterious malady we have. Knotty's questions are correct. These masses are something more specific than just "masses" and some doctor has the knowledge and experience to deal with them. Every doctor does not. Few doctors are cyclists, and few of their patients are cyclists, especially serious cyclists. It will take some work, but some doctor knows the answer. Maybe the answer is to stop riding, maybe not. But don't stop until you have an answer.
Old 01-05-08, 09:07 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Yes, you might wanna be looking into those funny-looking bikes.
Old 01-05-08, 09:07 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
+1 on a second opinion.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.