Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

How many 50+er's have traded their roadbike...

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

How many 50+er's have traded their roadbike...

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-09, 10:35 AM
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,461 Posts
On second thought...HTFU and ride your road bike. I would put the wider tires on my Cervelo R3 and be done with it.
Old 08-21-09, 10:44 AM

Bikes: Giant TCX, Schwinn Sierra, Diamondback Outlook

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As near as I can tell, you're the only person in the whole world that bike is supposed to make happy.
Geez, now I feel extra special
Old 08-21-09, 02:19 PM
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
Cycle cross season is approaching. I have a buddy, with whom I ride on occasion, who always rides his cycle cross bike on the road this time of year. He is fast on the cycle cross bike as well as his road bike. I would suggest getting as nice a cycle cross bike as you can afford/meets your needs. You will be able to ride it on the dirt and the road. If you have enough power, it will not make much difference.

I have a road bike, time trial bike, track bike and tandem. I used to have a full suspension mountain bike. If I were going to ride on good dirt roads designed for cars and extend the ride to paved roads, I would get a cycle cross bike.

They will have to pry my road bike with my 11 cm seat to bar drop from my cold dead hands.
John that is a cool bike...gotta love English Racer style bikes...fun to ride.
Decisions...decisions. 11cm drop is pretty substantial for a half centurian. I run about half that on my Look 555. By the look of your neighborhood, you can do just fine with a narrow tire bike. That used to be the case with me as well but I guess now I need a dirt bike for those times when I don't feel like putting my bike in my car.
Old 08-21-09, 02:31 PM

Bikes: Rivendell Chevoit and a Panasonic 1986 7500 MTB

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a Rossin Record for 20 years that I loved...but now have a Rivendell Bleriot w/650B wheels. It is a nice all rounder but not a racer. At 57 it suits me just fine. I picked up a 1988 Panasonic MC7500 from Craigs list. It's a hard tail city/mtb that I use on trials etc. I am going to put dropped bars on it for comfort. If I lived where there were lots of hills and few cars I would still have the Rossin....which was a nice comfortable stage racer. In the end it is personal preference.
Old 08-21-09, 02:51 PM
Sore saddle cyclist

Bikes: Road, touring and mountain

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
I have a nice road bike AND a 29er mountain bike, both are seeing lots of use these days.

On the road my road bike is very comfortable for the riding I do (40 to 100 miles rides), very efficient and I am able to maintain speeds that are fun. I can't see any advantage to riding my mountain bike for a use that it was not designed for, riding long distances on the road.

On mountain trails and dirt roads the 29er mountain bike is fast, fun and handles rough surfaces and hills with ease. The 29 inch wheels do seem to ride over rocky trails a bit easier, and I'm getting use to the slightly higher position. It's a mountain bike, this is where it belongs, and what it was designed for.
Old 08-21-09, 02:52 PM

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix Sport SL4

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
I have no desire to replace my road racing tired road bike but I would get a nice commuter bike to ride to work, restaurants, etc.

Thanks, Mike.
Old 08-21-09, 04:21 PM
Grammar Cop

Bikes: in my sig line

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Beanz and Gina gave me a road bike and I promptly hybridized it.
Old 08-21-09, 05:52 PM

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, GF 29er, old Trek Madone

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 29 Posts
I ride a 29er and I'm getting a road bike (Madone).

Still, if I had to have just one bike, it would be the 29er. Great for single track, root strewn trails, grevel roads and off road. It's nice for riding leisurely with the family.

I've also been riding the 29er on the road at least 125 miles a week. Lock out the rear suspension, it still very comfy and goes pretty good too. An excellent work-out.

Why am I adding a road bike? I want to go faster. I'd like to try group rides.

Old 08-21-09, 05:57 PM
Older than dirt

Bikes: Too darn many.. latest count is 11

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Campag4life
for a 29'er?...as in wide tall tired mountain bike with upright bars? Just wondered how many get to a point of not caring about how fast they are going and a bit more about ride quality and riding more comfortably on varied road surfaces?
Why trade? I own both and ride what I want when I feel like it. That said, the 29'er has a great ride, but it's a slug from the speed standpoint.
Old 08-21-09, 06:38 PM

Bikes: recumbent & upright

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 31 Posts
In the 60s I had a single speed, then 3 spd bike.
In 70s, a five speed Schwinn,
in 80s, a mountain bike,
in 90s, a mountain bike and a recumbent,
2000s roll along, a recumbent, touring bike, road bike, cyclocross bike, and most recently a custom commuter that is sort of a cross between road and cyclocross bike. Selecting a tool appropriate for each task is important; however if I had only one- it would be a steel framed cyclocross bike.
Old 08-21-09, 07:16 PM
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Certainly not me.

If I had to cut myself down to only 1 bike, it would be a conventional road bike. I've done other styles of bicycling but, through the years, I've had a lot more fun on road bikes than with anything else.
Similar here. I am currently finishing a cyclocross bike for urban and rail-trail situations but they will have to pry my beloved road bikes from my cold, dead hands.

EDIT: Sorry Hermes... I actually hadn't read your post when I said this. Great minds...

Last edited by billydonn; 08-21-09 at 07:23 PM.
Old 08-21-09, 07:22 PM
Pedal pusher...

Bikes: I've got a bunch...

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by oldpedalpusher
Twenty years ago, I sold an old Reynolds 531 frame Raleigh road bike and bought this...

Greg
What is that?
Old 08-21-09, 07:53 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Solomander
I would never trade in my road bike, but I am seriously considering one of these....

https://www.salsacycles.com/fargoComp09.html
OOoooooo....... That's something. This bike is a Grant Peterson wet dream !.

That's about as well equipped for it's purpose as anything I've seen, or could do myself. About $1800 and worth every penny

SB
Old 08-21-09, 09:44 PM
chasing down blood sugars

Bikes: too numerous to count

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I suppose if I could only keep one bike it would be my Karate Monkey. I've tried 4 handlebars, 3 forks, 6 pr tires, 2 cranksets, singlespeed and multispeed. It's always a fun dependable ride. But as a jack of all trades it's a master of none, which is why I have road bikes and FS 29ers (Lenz Leviathan and Behemoth).
Old 08-21-09, 10:12 PM

Location: I live in a rural canyon in unincorporated Los Angeles County

Bikes: Giant Mountain Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alicestrong
What is that?
Hi Alice,

It's just the cheapest Taiwan built frame model of 1988 Fisher MTB with road tires... a simple rugged reliable transportation bike that's a pure joy to ride. I make up errands to run just for an excuse to ride it. Since the first pic, I've installed some old fashioned 1970's Shimano friction downtube shifters...

...and updated the bars and brake levers...

...and ultra close gear ratios.

Greg

Last edited by oldpedalpusher; 08-21-09 at 10:16 PM.
Old 08-22-09, 12:36 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ain't it great we aren't all alike?

Other than a Schwinn when I was a kid and a rock around the neighborhood Huffy I didn't own a bike until a couple years ago. Oh, I almost forgot I had a cheapie I only rode a couple times before my offspring appropriated it.

My first bike, at the bike shop's recommendation, was a hybrid. Still have it but seldom ride it.

The second season I decided I wanted something more comfortable (most important), faster (more miles with less effort)and better climbing (more miles, less stress) since there are lots of hills in the area. Tried several bikes and ended up with a full carbon road bike. Liked it so much I now have two. Can't imagine giving up the road bikes.

Last edited by ModeratedUser150120149; 08-22-09 at 12:45 AM.
Old 08-22-09, 03:44 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
If on the road- I use a road bike- one of several I know but even these have different uses. OCR for if I may have to leave it somewhere- like shopping or doctors. Always will be locked and only for short distances. Then the TCR-C if steep hills involved- or lots of slopes over long miles- then this is the bike for me. Then Boreas- only a couple of steep slopes or a flattish ride and this is the one.

Same on mountain bikes. The Bianchi Hardtail for general going out and playing- especially in the mud as it does not block up. Then the Kona- Flat ride with hardpack as the front suspension is very short and very stiff. Find an idiot that would like to see what offroad is like- then the Tandem gets out. That bike gets me fit as people do find out how hard offroad is and wear out very quickly. Or jump off it at the bottom of the first downhill and phone their wife to come and get them as they ain't going on that thing again. It's a long ride back riding it solo.

I believe in the right bike for the job. From what I have seen of the 29er's- they won't do the offroad aswell as a mountain bike- and I know the existing road bikes work well on the road- in fact superbly well. If I were to do mainly rough trails- that the 29ers seem to be built for- then I would get the bike that is ideal for them- a Cyclocross. Not a hybrid with treaded tyres.

Spike Milligan
Old 08-22-09, 06:35 AM

Bikes: Raleigh MTRAX, Ribble Road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I actually own an old MTB + a newish road bike. I generally ride the MTB everywhere. The road bike sees very little action. I normally cycle on quiet roads with not much off road action. I do this because the surface is good and less mentally demanding to ride. I have a 48T front cassette but always feel that I would prefer a 50-53T one.
Old 08-22-09, 06:48 AM

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 48 Posts
I bought a Jamis Commuter 3 for day to day utility riding and kept my old TREK which I ride once or twice a week and overnight tours. I never have worried about speed, but the quicker more nimble handling is more fun.
Old 08-22-09, 10:52 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
I believe in the right bike for the job. From what I have seen of the 29er's- they won't do the offroad aswell as a mountain bike- and I know the existing road bikes work well on the road- in fact superbly well. If I were to do mainly rough trails- that the 29ers seem to be built for- then I would get the bike that is ideal for them- a Cyclocross. Not a hybrid with treaded tyres.
I suspect your opinion of 29ers would change if based on more exposure to them.

I'll bet that one that BCAC posted above would be fantastic on a gnarly rock and root strewn MTB trail, especially one with good flowing lines. You'd be carrying a cyclocross bike over some of the stuff that bike would glide through. About the only negative thing I have heard from people who ride them is they don't accelerate as quickly as 26" wheeled bikes but once rolling they tend to keep going better.
Old 08-22-09, 01:15 PM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1397 Post(s)
Liked 1,336 Times in 842 Posts
I have a great-looking old school mountain bike (see signature), which I have enjoyed riding extensively both on the road and off, but my first love is still a road bike with a somewhat relaxed old school or touring geometry and with 28mm or perhaps even 1-1/4" (32mm) tires. With wind and a 30% chance of rain, I did today's 30-mile/50km group ride on my lowly old Peugeot UO-8 and had a great time. (The Bianchi is quicker and nimbler, but also somewhat twitchier in a crosswind.)

I really like the variety of hand positions a good set of drop bars affords the rider. Putting extensions on the ends of my mountain bike's bars helped immensely, but it's still not the same. I typically set my bars about 5cm below the top of my saddle, as I have for many years.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

Last edited by John E; 08-22-09 at 01:19 PM.
Old 08-23-09, 06:39 AM

Bikes: Road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Campag4life
for a 29'er?...as in wide tall tired mountain bike with upright bars? Just wondered how many get to a point of not caring about how fast they are going and a bit more about ride quality and riding more comfortably on varied road surfaces?
NUTS!

Last edited by semsd; 08-23-09 at 06:43 AM.
Old 08-23-09, 11:38 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
I suspect your opinion of 29ers would change if based on more exposure to them.

I'll bet that one that BCAC posted above would be fantastic on a gnarly rock and root strewn MTB trail, especially one with good flowing lines. You'd be carrying a cyclocross bike over some of the stuff that bike would glide through. About the only negative thing I have heard from people who ride them is they don't accelerate as quickly as 26" wheeled bikes but once rolling they tend to keep going better.
But this is the point- Gnarly Rocks and roots and I have a bike that does it superbly- It is the mountain bike. I know it will do the most difficult of ascents or descents- the rider may not but the bike will. If the trails got tamer and were just rough trails or really bad surface- Then the MTB will still do it But if it was going to be my main trail riding then I "Might" be intersted in getting a cyclocross bike to do it on. What it would not be is a 29er that I still regard as not the best bike for the road and neither would it be the best bike for my offroad.

Spike Milligan
Old 08-23-09, 02:55 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
What it would not be is a 29er that I still regard as not the best bike for the road and neither would it be the best bike for my offroad.
No MTB will be "the best bike" for the road. I'd like to try a 29er on the big open hills you have shown us in your photos. I think it would be right in its element. But it would probably work better for a big guy. They have to make compromises to make them fit shorter riders.
Old 08-24-09, 09:53 AM

Bikes: Rivendell Chevoit and a Panasonic 1986 7500 MTB

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
These look pretty cool.

https://www.kogswell.com/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.