Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Supplementation: What have you added to yours, this year?

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-08, 04:02 PM
Look 555 fledgling

Bikes: Vitus road bike, I bought used, graduated to a LOOK 555

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've always loved this subject, I like physiology, so I follow the supplement science news for fun. Feel free to contest anything I say, as I am constantly refining my program and welcome the input.

Vit D (lots of anti-cancer correlations lately)

tryptophan (FDA bans just lifted?.. precursor for serotonin?)

zyflablend (as news about inflammation indicators and the link with some types of CV disease increase)

daily aspirin (I've settled in on half of a reg non-buffered) Very underappreciated, aspirin.

Increased my pharm grade fish oil to 2-3 Gms (omega threes long been known miracle mood stabilizer, joints,CV)

B12 injections monthly

Melatonin drops once the lights are off (1-2 mgm SL depending)

Thinking about switching my CoQ 10 (200mg) to the newer better absorbed kind.

and of course, the regular daily vites.

Considering dropping the DHEA cream, don't feel I need it.

anybody trying to increase their NO with amino acids like L- arginine?

Oh...magnesium! I've stopped supplementing Ca and have added Mg instead for optimizing ratios.

Green tea....once or twice a day, it grows on you. And I really notice it makes me less hungry?

None of my friends or SO are interested in this stuff (that could be a good sign) So I have no one to discuss it with.

Last edited by catherine96821; 03-28-08 at 02:08 AM.
Old 03-27-08, 09:45 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by catherine96821
I've always loved this subject, I like phsiology, so I follow the supplement science news for fun. Feel free to contest anything I say, as I am constantly refining my program and welcome the input.

Vit D (lots of anti-cancer correlations lately)

tryptophan (FDA bans just lifted?.. precursor for serotonin?)

zyflablend (as news about inflammation indicators and the link with some types of CV disease increase)

daily aspirin (I've settled in on half of a reg non-buffered) Very underappreciated, aspirin.

Increased my pharm grade fish oil to 2-3 Gms (omega threes long been known miracle mood stabilizer, joints,CV)

B12 injections monthly

Melatonin drops once the lights are off (1-2 mgm SL depending)

Thinking about switching my CoQ 10 (200mg) to the newer better absorbed kind.

and of course, the regular daily vites.

Considering dropping the DHEA cream, don't feel I need it.

anybody trying to increase their NO with amino acids like L- arginine?

Oh...magnesium! I've stopped supplementing Ca and have added Mg instead for optimizing ratios.

Green tea....once or twice a day, it grows on you. And I really notice it makes me less hungry?

None of my friends or SO are interested in this stuff (that could be a good sign) So I have no one to discuss it with.
I supplement with a multivitamin, whey protein and cod liver oil.

In my bodybuilding days I used L-arginine, 3 grams pre workout, it was effective in producing a "pump" effect if you are familiar with that. Seemed to increase lactate threshold as well.

You sure are using a lot of supplements - personally I'd go for real food first and foremost. Nutrients from food are absorbed much better than those from supplements, along with a host of other beneficial compounds. As long as you aren't a huge dairy consumer whole grains and leafy greens should provide you ample magnesium for the 1:1 ratio - my average daily intake is balanced at around 1500mg Ca/1400mg Mag.
Old 03-27-08, 09:50 PM
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
I decided to go with real food again this year. Although today, after spending 4 hours looking at old newspapers on microfilm, I supplemented today's diet with Ibuprofen.

My Dr. strongly recommends that I start taking calcium pills, but I haven't got around to doing that yet. I can never remember to take pills (unless my head feels like it does right now) .... and vitamin/mineral pills make me nauseated to the point of throwing up anyway, unless I take them right in the middle of my main meal of the day.

You might want to browse through this site: https://www.nutritiondata.com/ ... you can look up just about every food you might want to consume and see exactly what's in it ... calories, carb/fat/protein content, vitamins & minerals, etc. etc.

Last edited by Machka; 03-27-08 at 10:16 PM.
Old 03-27-08, 10:23 PM
Sprinters are Sexy

Bikes: Salsa Campeon.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm sure you know this...but I'll say it anyway. What's currently fashionable as a supplement may not pass the test of time. I'm not afraid to say I've fallen for the hype in the past...

That said, here's a list of what I take (in order of importance):

Fish Oil - 12 to 16 grams per day divided into three or four doses

Glucosamine/Chondroitin three times a day

Multivitamin

BCAA - I am absolutely convinced this works in terms of recovery and protein sparing (people who try it without success just don't take enough and get the timing wrong); ever since I've been supplementing with this, I continue to hit some form of PR, be it in the gym or on the bike, every month

Aspirin

I get calcium from dairy and veggies such as broccoli.

My GF is trying to wane me off coffee and onto green tea; and I know I should make the switch but I'm a shameless addict to the dark ambrosia

Last edited by LifeIsSuffering; 03-27-08 at 10:28 PM.
Old 03-27-08, 10:42 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Personally I think fish oil and a balanced diet is enough anti-inflammatory not to 'need' aspirin; I am surprised so many people take it every day.
Old 03-27-08, 10:51 PM
Sprinters are Sexy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Xanthippus
Personally I think fish oil and a balanced diet is enough anti-inflammatory not to 'need' aspirin; I am surprised so many people take it every day.
That's correct.

However, a history of broken tib/fib/ankle and surgical complications left me with nightly swelling. Ibuprofen and naproxen irritate my stomach. Aspirin, in moderate doses, gives me some relief with minimal side effects.
Old 03-28-08, 01:55 AM
Look 555 fledgling

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
personally I'd go for real food first and foremost.
I agree.

Yes, omega threes thin the blood also, I was wondering about that. The reason I take it is that the scienceis pretty impressive and I don't know they have been studying fish oil for as long.

But, I don't want to bleed out if I have an accident either.

Fish Oil - 12 to 16 grams per day divided into three or four doses
wow, thats a lot, whats your reason? Are your capsules 1 Gm each? Do you think pharmacuetical grade (which is more costly) is still necesary?

I'm hearing that some of the less expensive grades are now eliminating heavy metals effectively.

My GF is trying to wane me off coffee and onto green tea;
The latest news about coffee antioxidant power is really impressive.

Last edited by catherine96821; 03-28-08 at 02:14 AM.
Old 03-28-08, 06:47 AM

Bikes: 2006 Cannondale CAAD8

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
When people say what they are adding can they say the reasoning for it? What is the benefit of adding fish oil, aspirin, ibuprofun, ect...
Old 03-28-08, 08:52 AM
In Real Life

Originally Posted by Jynx
When people say what they are adding can they say the reasoning for it? What is the benefit of adding fish oil, aspirin, ibuprofun, ect...
+1

When I read about people taking supplements, my first thought is WHY???

In my case, my Dr. would like me to take calcium because I am lactose intolerant and I don't consume much dairy (I also don't eat much meat) plus I am a long distance cyclist and there is evidence that long distance cyclists have low bone densities. So the combination of those two situations lead her to the suggest that I need to supplement the calcium in my diet.

And I only take ibuprofen when I have a throbbing headache like I did yesterday.
Old 03-28-08, 09:07 AM
Splicer of Molecules

Bikes: Giant

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I take a Calcium + Vitamin D supplement (Caltrate brand) because you do not receive enough vitamin D from the sun unless you are in a nice tropical place Nov-March and it aids in calcium absorption. I do consume some dairy as well.

I take a omega 3 supplement because there has been research that a ratio of omega6:3 of 4:1 is a good standard to shoot for in terms of health. The average Western diet is around 10-20:1 (6's are in everything, especially greasy oily foods). Because the best food source is oily fish (salmon and tuna) but you should only eat x amount per week because of mercury, I supplement only on the days that I do not eat fish. I also use ground flaxseed everyday which can be converted to omega 3 but the conversion is not very efficient.
Old 03-28-08, 10:46 AM
grilled cheesus

Bikes: 2010 CAAD9 Custom, 06 Giant TCR C2 & 05 Specialized Hardrock Sport

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
multi vitamin - for general all around goodness

Glucosamine/Chondroitin - 2 pills once day - started about two weeks ago and that nagging pain and creaking in my left knee is better all ready. (obviously all in my head )

during winter/cold/flu seasons i make sure to drink lots and lots of Naked Fruit Juices. they taste great and give you a pound of fruit in every bottle.

you know, i think all just comes out in the potty anyway. later.
Old 03-28-08, 11:22 AM
Sprinters are Sexy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jynx
I certainly can justify it. Fish oil has omega 3 which the body needs to fight inflammation. I already explained why I take aspirin. Gluco/chondroitin has mixed reviews but I've noticed it's benefits.

One of the posters in this thread stated she takes calcium supplements for bone health - and she's the one that is more of a whole-food diet fan. Just goes to show that each of us has individual needs and supplements are a useful tool for just that - to supplement a sensible diet.

The stuff I've listed do work for me. I've been taking it long enough to discern the placebo vs the empirical effect.
Old 03-28-08, 11:34 AM
Sprinters are Sexy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree.

Yes, omega threes thin the blood also, I was wondering about that. The reason I take it is that the scienceis pretty impressive and I don't know they have been studying fish oil for as long.

But, I don't want to bleed out if I have an accident either.

wow, thats a lot, whats your reason? Are your capsules 1 Gm each? Do you think pharmacuetical grade (which is more costly) is still necesary?
I've been taking the Rexall Pharm grade - the amount I'm taking seems to work the best for me. Although you raise a valid point. I'll research some more and see if a smaller dose is all I need.

I'm hearing that some of the less expensive grades are now eliminating heavy metals effectively.
I'm convinced reading labels is similar to deciphering code. Companies are so sneaky about how they phrase things. On a side note, someone told me the other day that non-fat milk has milk powder added to it (for texture or something like that) and this milk powder has the type of cholesterol that's actually worse than what is in regular milk.

The latest news about coffee antioxidant power is really impressive.
That just proves how cyclical views can be. I'll be sure to tell my GF that - although I'm sure she'll just say that study is no doubt financed by coffee companies.
Old 03-28-08, 12:04 PM
In Real Life

Originally Posted by LifeIsSuffering
One of the posters in this thread stated she takes calcium supplements for bone health - and she's the one that is more of a whole-food diet fan. Just goes to show that each of us has individual needs and supplements are a useful tool for just that - to supplement a sensible diet.

Actually, the Dr. has recommended she take them ... but she hasn't started yet. She has trouble taking pills, on several levels.

However, I wanted to make a couple other points:

1) Instead of a thread just listing the things we take, I'd much rather see a thread listing the things we take and WHY we take them. Is it just because we saw an ad on TV or in a magazine for "magic beans" which promise all sorts of wonderful things? Or are we taking these things for real, defineable reasons? Can we back up why we take these things?

2) I am a fan of real food ... I'd rather not take any supplements at all. But I did mention the possibility of taking calcium for my bones because of my lactose intolerance and long distance cycling. However, I also know that weight bearing exercises do as much or more for my bones as calcium does. So, although I have not started taking calcium yet ... I do walk 15 kms a week with a heavy backpack.

I know studies indicate I should be taking Vit D ... but I also know that the sun provides Vit D, so every opportunity I get, I'm outside. For several years now I've ended up living outside for anywhere from 1 to 3 months a year ... cycling and camping. And, of course, my long distance cycling has me on the bicycle from sun up to sun set and sometimes longer than that. Even in the middle of winter, I'm out as much as I can be ... walking that 15 kms a week, or doing other winter sports, or just being outside.

So not only do I prefer to get my vitamins and minerals etc. through food, I also prefer to get them, or the benefits of them, through other, more natural, means as well.
Old 03-28-08, 02:04 PM
Look 555 fledgling

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd much rather see a thread listing the things we take and WHY we take them.
I can do that. In fact, right after our ride. Vit D for example is one of the ones we have new studies on regarding most people deficient and it is implicated in many cancers. ...and I am curious about why your doctor wants you to tak Ca and not Magnesium, which has recently been shown to be the bigger issue with utilizing the Ca you are already injesting.

I think Calcium, like Fe supplemenation, in this country, will be considered over-supplemented in a few years, looking back. Now, that doesn't mean you don't have signs of osteoporosis showing up. (With as much as you ride, is a bit surprising and means you should maybe get aggressive, IMO)

Estradiol levels checked for one thing. If you exercise a lot, you might very well be low and this could be the culprit regarding bones if he is saying this because you show signs (lost height, curvature in your neck, etc)

I'll be sure to tell my GF that - although I'm sure she'll just say that study is no doubt financed by coffee companies.
My approach to coffee is that I drink 100% fresh ground Kona and have one cup in the am. I think the antioxidants in fresh quality are probably higher. Green tea is looking really good, I drink them both. Anybody icing it for rides? I throw some honey in it...

CoQ10 is a bit of a cult following, I admit, but I had a cardiologist friend convince me and he only takes two things: the cheap Cosco fish oil, and CoQ10.

Last edited by catherine96821; 03-28-08 at 02:22 PM.
Old 03-28-08, 02:09 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I take whey protein and a multivitamin because my lifestyle is VERY active. Between being in the gym 5-6 days a week, training my running (sprint training) and cycling (touring in the summer months, sprint training otherwise), I am engaging in a LOT of intense physical activity.

Cod liver/fish oil has alot of science behind it and observing my muscular gains with and without it (cod liver oil), I can definitively say that it's helping.
Old 03-28-08, 04:06 PM
W A N T E D

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've just recently added glucosamine/chondroitin for joint pain. Too early to tell any results yet, but haven't noticed any ill effects. Also, I may add Omega 3 supplements.

Also, and I think this may be the real deal, I'm trying to cut out processed foods as much as possible.
Old 03-28-08, 04:18 PM
In Real Life

I can do that. In fact, right after our ride. Vit D for example is one of the ones we have new studies on regarding most people deficient and it is implicated in many cancers. ...and I am curious about why your doctor wants you to tak Ca and not Magnesium, which has recently been shown to be the bigger issue with utilizing the Ca you are already injesting.

I think Calcium, like Fe supplemenation, in this country, will be considered over-supplemented in a few years, looking back. Now, that doesn't mean you don't have signs of osteoporosis showing up. (With as much as you ride, is a bit surprising and means you should maybe get aggressive, IMO)

Estradiol levels checked for one thing. If you exercise a lot, you might very well be low and this could be the culprit regarding bones if he is saying this because you show signs (lost height, curvature in your neck, etc)
I'm heading out for a ride in a few minutes too, but I thought I'd just comment on a couple things ...

Magnesium would be fine for me if I were prone to constipation, but since I'm not, I have to be very careful about taking it. Although ... it would be great for weightloss!

https://www.drugs.com/sfx/magnesium-side-effects.html
https://dietary-supplements.info.nih..../magnesium.asp

I have been trying to convince Drs (three of them now) to send me for a bone density test, but they won't. Evidently I'm too young and will have to wait 9 years to go for one. The concern is mine, not theirs. Their solution is "take more calcium" ... I also notice that their solution is not "do more weight bearing exercise" which is probably the better solution. And I have lost height (1/2 inch in the last few years) but again, that seems to be my concern, not theirs.
Old 03-28-08, 04:22 PM

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 12192 Post(s)
Liked 1,496 Times in 1,108 Posts
You mentioned green tea. This is good and relatively cheap.
https://shopstashtea.com/168452.html

and in bags...
https://shopstashtea.com/68452.html
Old 03-28-08, 05:02 PM
SSP
Software for Cyclists

Bikes: Trek 5200, Specialized MTB

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
I decided to go with real food again this year. Although today, after spending 4 hours looking at old newspapers on microfilm, I supplemented today's diet with Ibuprofen.

My Dr. strongly recommends that I start taking calcium pills, but I haven't got around to doing that yet. I can never remember to take pills (unless my head feels like it does right now) .... and vitamin/mineral pills make me nauseated to the point of throwing up anyway, unless I take them right in the middle of my main meal of the day.

You might want to browse through this site: https://www.nutritiondata.com/ ... you can look up just about every food you might want to consume and see exactly what's in it ... calories, carb/fat/protein content, vitamins & minerals, etc. etc.
fyi, if you don't tolerate tablets/pills, you can purchase calcium in powder form and add it to drinks, cereal, etc.

Here's one source:

https://www.evitamins.com/product_gri...=127&subID=317
Old 03-28-08, 05:33 PM

Bikes: Univega Modo Volare (2001)

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
+1

When I read about people taking supplements, my first thought is WHY???

In my case, my Dr. would like me to take calcium because I am lactose intolerant and I don't consume much dairy (I also don't eat much meat) plus I am a long distance cyclist and there is evidence that long distance cyclists have low bone densities. So the combination of those two situations lead her to the suggest that I need to supplement the calcium in my diet.

And I only take ibuprofen when I have a throbbing headache like I did yesterday.
Interesting.

First of all, doctors are a poor source of information when it comes to supplementation. Two of my closest friends are Medical Doctors and they will be the first to admit that this is not a strong area for them. Interesting also was the fact that one asked me about hormonal replacement therapy as again, this isn’t a topic they know well.

The WHY will differ depending on age and activity. While my powerlifting days are behind me, I still train hard in the gym with heavy weights. I cycle 20 minutes indoors or take a spin class (much more enjoyable). But nothing beats cycling outdoors.

1) Vitamin Pill. I take this as cheap insurance against nutritional deficiencies. Yes, I do eat a lot of good food. I eat every three hours and try to get protein and vegetables at every meal. If I miss taking it, I can not honestly say I feel different.
2) Fish Oil: The benefits of Fish oil are well documented. I personally find them to have an anti inflammatory effect and my skin seems to have improved slightly. I rarely need Advil.
3) Protein Powder: The WHY for this has come from 20+ years of seeing what works for me. Higher levels of protein help me maintain muscle mass and keep bodyfat down. I over the years I have gained 50 pounds and maintained the same % body fat (while I monitor regularly).

Those are the whys. Do other things work? Maybe. I never responded to Creatine. Other supplements either did nothing, or require too high a dose to be both efficacious and cost effective.

Last edited by Univega; 03-28-08 at 05:33 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 03-28-08, 05:58 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I started taking Omega 3 last Nov. and just had my cholesterol checked about one month ago. It was down 13 pts from last year without any huge change it diet. I've since been trying to eat much better also. Family has a history of high cholesterol and heart disease. I'll be 45 this summer with two young daughters so figure it's time to take better care. BP is also borderline hypertensive so I started biking last summer mainly for fitness issues but sure do love to just ride.

I also take a multi vitamin once/day and glucosamine twice. Figure it can't really hurt my joints so it's more of a preventative measure.

Also, I do supplement with a whey protein shake after a strenuous training ride or weight lifting.
Old 03-28-08, 06:44 PM
Killing Rabbits

Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts

I have been trying to convince Drs (three of them now) to send me for a bone density test, but they won't. Evidently I'm too young and will have to wait 9 years to go for one. The concern is mine, not theirs. Their solution is "take more calcium" ... I also notice that their solution is not "do more weight bearing exercise" which is probably the better solution. And I have lost height (1/2 inch in the last few years) but again, that seems to be my concern, not theirs.
What is the DEXA scan going to do for you? Lets say the scan shows a mild reduction in bone density, what then? Are you iching to start bisphosphonates and are script hunting?

For a healthy young woman without any fractures, the risk of starting aggressive therapy would probably outweigh any benefit. The prudent treatment would just be the Ca/Mg/D plus exercise that they already recommend. So you see the scan can only result in wasted tax $ and undue worry / over diagnosis.

If you want a justifiable bone scan, break something in a crash or hit menopause.
Old 03-28-08, 07:01 PM
In Real Life

Originally Posted by Enthalpic
If you want a justifiable bone scan, break something in a crash or hit menopause.
Done that, and getting there.

But yes, what you said is basically what my most recent Dr. said ... and I understood that explanation. The previous Drs. just kind of laughed at my concerns and told me I was too young. That wasn't enough of an explanation for me.

I suppose what I'd like to know is whether or not my bones really need me to take extra calcium ... if they don't, then I won't. But I suppose I should.
Old 03-28-08, 07:20 PM
Killing Rabbits

Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts

I suppose what I'd like to know is whether or not my bones really need me to take extra calcium ... if they don't, then I won't. But I suppose I should.
You should. I, however, living in the north value vit D more than the elements themselves. Did you know that sun exposure at northern latitudes does not produce vit-d; as the sun has to pass through so much of the atmosphere that the required UV rays are absorbed? A general rule is that your shadow has to be equal to, or shorter than, your height. In Alberta this is not possible during the winter (even at noon) and in the spring and fall only around noon.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.