Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Wo Ho - I am down 10 lbs

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-10, 03:46 PM

Bikes: Schwinn Prelude

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wo Ho - I am down 10 lbs

40 years old - 240 lbs.

Started riding late last year - and I just jumped on a scale this afternoon and I am down 10lbs.

I have been riding on and off - maybe once per or every other week for about 12 miles, then in late January I decided to do it a little more, now I am up to 20 miles on a Saturday morning and sometimes a quick 5 miles run in the middle of the week - no more

I have also changed my job, so the stress level is down a little, my new job is paying less but the stress level is lower, and I am eating better too. No strict diet, still a Pepsi every other day, eating better portions, more green bananas, less rice, etc. Still busy with classes but might take a semester break soon.

I told my wife that I felt like I had lost weight, she hasnt seen it yet , people that I worked with said I lost weight and look a lot less stressed.

If I can only kick the pepsi habit and discipline myself to do 3 sprints per week:

Sat: Main ride - 20-30 miles
Mon/Wed/Fri - quickie 5-10 miles

I could get down to 230lb very quickly and then concentrate on 200-190 by the end of the year.

Last edited by Tricycle_Rider; 02-24-10 at 03:48 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-24-10, 04:33 PM
2 LAZY 2 CLIMB

Bikes: 2010 TREK 1.2 TRIPLE

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congrats!!! That is great, it feels so good to lose the extra weight. I wish our weather was better so I could ride more too.
Old 02-24-10, 05:50 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm going to stop the Pepsi habit right now. A friend told me that I will be surprised at how much more weight will melt off just by giving up my "one per day/every other day".
Old 02-24-10, 05:52 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by skinny chicken
Congrats!!! That is great, it feels so good to lose the extra weight. I wish our weather was better so I could ride more too.
I had to stop on Saturday before completing my last 5 miles as I felt like I was getting a heat stroke, lots of peeps complimented my "tan" and that was just from 2 hours riding in the sun.
Old 02-25-10, 09:25 AM

Bikes: 08 Cannondale Comfort4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tricycle_Rider
I'm going to stop the Pepsi habit right now. A friend told me that I will be surprised at how much more weight will melt off just by giving up my "one per day/every other day".
Good luck and yes you will. My FIL drinks Dr. Pepper like it is going out of style. Probably 32oz+ per day. He gave it up for 2 weeks and lost around 3 pounds with no exercise. Of course he went back to it and put it right back on
It is amazing how many calories are in these sodas and how empty the calories are.

BTW congrats on the first 10 pounds

Last edited by 2Klose; 02-25-10 at 09:28 AM. Reason: Forgot the congratulations.
Old 02-25-10, 01:41 PM
I Ride, Therefore I Am

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congrats mon! That is awesome. I am there with you. This week I noticed I am down 10lbs as well to 240. I had the Pepsi habit as well. A Pepsi for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Just stopped buying them and kept them out of the house. Switched to water. Got sick of water and started using those little packet thingies you dump in the water bottle. Arizona Iced Tea makes an Arnold Palmer Half Lemonade/Half Iced Tea mix that is only 5 calories that I use to flavor the water somtimes. Keep working at it. I will meet you at 230 in a month or so.
Old 02-26-10, 07:31 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BigUgly
Congrats mon! That is awesome. I am there with you. This week I noticed I am down 10lbs as well to 240. I had the Pepsi habit as well. A Pepsi for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Just stopped buying them and kept them out of the house. Switched to water. Got sick of water and started using those little packet thingies you dump in the water bottle. Arizona Iced Tea makes an Arnold Palmer Half Lemonade/Half Iced Tea mix that is only 5 calories that I use to flavor the water somtimes. Keep working at it. I will meet you at 230 in a month or so.
I'll see you there

Very uncomfortable at the moment, I hurt my shoulder and having problems extending my left arm. I need to ride tomorrow and wonder if I can grip the handlebars.
Old 02-27-10, 04:03 PM
I am the Snail~!

Bikes: 2010 TerraTrike Rover 8

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Grats on the weight loss! It took time to put on, so it'll take time to come off. The pepsi habit is pure evil (as I sit here drinking my 4th can of the day)

/sigh

I can promise you simply by killing the soda-habit, you will lose weight with no other changes. Drinking LOTS of water helps with weight lose - I do not know why, but all my DRs state that plain water is better, and that water with 'stuff' in it simply doesn't count /shrug During the week, I am a one pepsi a day guy, and drink almost a gallon of water each day...but on weekends, I lose it...
Old 02-28-10, 04:00 AM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by Peter_C
Grats on the weight loss! It took time to put on, so it'll take time to come off. The pepsi habit is pure evil (as I sit here drinking my 4th can of the day)

/sigh

I can promise you simply by killing the soda-habit, you will lose weight with no other changes. Drinking LOTS of water helps with weight lose - I do not know why, but all my DRs state that plain water is better, and that water with 'stuff' in it simply doesn't count /shrug During the week, I am a one pepsi a day guy, and drink almost a gallon of water each day...but on weekends, I lose it...
Water is "better" because it doesn't have lots of additives.

Old 02-28-10, 04:04 AM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
40 years old - 240 lbs.

Started riding late last year - and I just jumped on a scale this afternoon and I am down 10lbs.

I have been riding on and off - maybe once per or every other week for about 12 miles, then in late January I decided to do it a little more, now I am up to 20 miles on a Saturday morning and sometimes a quick 5 miles run in the middle of the week - no more

I have also changed my job, so the stress level is down a little, my new job is paying less but the stress level is lower, and I am eating better too. No strict diet, still a Pepsi every other day, eating better portions, more green bananas, less rice, etc. Still busy with classes but might take a semester break soon.

I told my wife that I felt like I had lost weight, she hasnt seen it yet , people that I worked with said I lost weight and look a lot less stressed.

If I can only kick the pepsi habit and discipline myself to do 3 sprints per week:

Sat: Main ride - 20-30 miles
Mon/Wed/Fri - quickie 5-10 miles

I could get down to 230lb very quickly and then concentrate on 200-190 by the end of the year.
Congratulations.

BTW, your wife may not have noticed you losing weight yet because she sees you so frequently. Give her time..... :-)

Old 02-28-10, 04:48 PM
I am the Snail~!

Bikes: 2010 TerraTrike Rover 8

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by The Historian
Water is "better" because it doesn't have lots of additives.
My point is, the Doc's see plain water VS plain water with 'crystal lite' (or the like) as two different things, and the plain water with something added does not give the same benefit (they say) as plain pure water...
Old 02-28-10, 11:23 PM
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Yes, this is very true. If you stop the sodas alone, you will lose a significant amount of weight.

A good friend told me that sometimes we just crave the fizz. Get a Perrier sparkling water or even cheaper the store brand sparkling water with different flavors. LOTS fewer calories.

Also, cut out the sweet tea. It takes a ridiculous amount of sugar to sweeten that stuff. If you just *have* to have some, mix 1/2 sweet and 1/2 unsweetened tea.

Watch the crazy coffee drinks. Frappacinos are basically milkshakes with expresso added. Try an iced coffee with only 2 (not the normal 6) pumps of sweetener. Still sweet. No overkill.
Old 03-02-10, 08:01 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pepsi habit is dead a couple days now, and I am craving it but will not cave in.

The only tea I drink is Tetly and we use a very sweet condensed milk to sweeten it here. I am not worried about this as its a once per day habit and I have lost weight while having it plus I gthink the sugar in it gives me a slight boost in the mornings when I am riding.

Water, gatorade, a banana and an orange usually keeps me company on my Saturday ride.

I will just continue to eat in moderation and continue to up the intensity and frequency.
Old 03-03-10, 07:41 PM
www.markreynoldsfund.org

Bikes: 1993 Titanium Miyata Elevation 8000, Scattante XRL

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Good work, Down 20+ myself since the first of the year.

Please donate to the Mark Reynolds Memorial First Bike Fund at www.markreynoldsfund.org
Old 03-04-10, 07:58 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
havent ridden in nearly 2 weeks and I feel like I putting the weight back on

I am going for a long ride on Saturday, if it doesnt rain