Old 05-21-10, 11:14 PM
ed 

Bikes: Hecklah

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
xXx (miniature light with active cooling)

I'm gonna call this one xXx (or just triple-"X"...ala...Vin Diesel)

I was bored and had nothing to do in the shop b/c I'm outta hex bar and my remaining 3 test hosts for quazzle's L3x board are getting anodized. I still had some 1" square stock left over from an order mishap. The first challenge was chucking up a 4-sided structure in a 3-jaw lathe. Finally got my 20mm hole bored. (set up for a snap ring retainer) This one is a bit different. I wanted to free up the optics a bit b/c I noticed that on my 20mm projects...the O-ring laps over the optics a bit.

I bored a 20mm hole for the board and optics and a 21.5mm hole for the lens and O-ring. The O-ring is a 21mm OD / 19mm ID...so I get a seal directly over the seam. (RIGHTEOUS!!)

Moving on to the rest of the proposed idea...

Not an original idea to say the least...do a search for Rubix or Wall-E on MTBR and you'll see a couple of incredible active cooling designs. I will be using the same thermostat as was used in both of those lights. I have a Sunon 5vDC 25x25x6mm cooling fan on order from Digikey. I also have a 5v DC voltage regulator which I'm still not so sure I need. Can I run a 5vDC fan on a 7.4v LiIon pack safely?

If I really need the vReg...I'll heat shrink it into the power cable, tie it in to the pos/neg and run the 3rd leg up into the thermostat and out to the fan.

Here's the pocket for the thermostat:

I had to do an angled hole that drops out the bottom and then straight back...(kinda like a backward hood scoop)...the wiring will run right over the top of the thermostat and out the back by the fan.

I will be shaving down two opposite corners of the cooling fan to match the contour.

Obviously the reason I'm calling it xXx...the triple Cree emitter board mixed with the "X" pattern of the fins from the back. The body looks like a freakin' chunk until you see how much of it will be fins. It's very lightweight...maybe lighter than the Hex lights. I have two M3 holes drilled and tapped awaiting the cooling fan.

You can see where I stopped finning on the bottom...project on hold until I replace my broken HS 2mm end mill. I was getting impatient and taking off a bit much with the mill. I knew better. I'd be finning this right now instead of just talking about it.:madman:

2 new end mills OTW.

Last edited by ed; 05-21-10 at 11:27 PM.