ed 

Bikes: Hecklah

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mx_599
good job

I question the size though. why are no major manufacturers making lights this small?
You need to engineer a light that can be mass produced for an idiot...and perform for years. The idiot will stand at the trail head talking to his buddy with his light on full blast. I don't suppose I would sell a light like this to somebody who isn't conscious of the heat factor. There have been quite a few little home brew lights lately using the tiny 20mm triple XP-E and XP-G boards. The R2's and R3's that have been out for a while are riskier...but the XP-G R5's are much more efficient. The light output drops at higher temps, but they can actually be driven to about 150C (302F). The lesser efficient micro lights seem to be running in the 75C range with dead still air. If you touch that with your fingers, you'd piss yourself thinking it was too freakin' hot and you may be cooking your light...but actually 75C is a completely acceptable operating temp. Add air flow via staying moving...or as this one incorporates the cooling fan...and you can keep it down in the 50C range easily.

This is all just a bunch of fun testing crap to keep my madd scientists skeelz going while the trails are soup.

Originally Posted by dminor
Don't horse those lil' bitty thangs.
yah man...no doubt

Originally Posted by TedRules
Awesome work! How bright will the lights be?
Tough to say...there are craploads of beamshots with 20mm XP-G / 20mm XP-E setups...probably somewhere between the MagicShine and the Lupine Wilma.

Here is a triple XP-G with narrow Carclo optics: