Old 08-29-10, 08:01 AM
ed 

Bikes: Hecklah

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by nycphotography
I have a place in PA, and I've been known to ride to and from the trails on the road. In which case, only one blinkie on the seat post.

(are they buying it? no? ok, thats my roadie light setup. I'm pretty sure for mountain biking I'd want a helmet light too.)
I was just hackin' on ya. I have a tail light. I rarely use it. Heck when I'm "commuting" off stairs and "commuting" over obstacles...I don't really need to be seen. If I see a car coming, I bunnyhop back outta the way. I don't ride heavy traffic areas b/c those areas don't have any terrain that I want anyhoo. Our downtown area is pretty dead at night...so you really don't even need a headlight.

I really don't give a flyin rat's butt-nut if I'm seen though...were I in NYC, my attitude would likely be different, but I come from a Sk8er background where you just get the flack outta the way b/c you will get hit. It's like a hillbilly sport here in the Midwest. I think they call it "Smayack the Skater" or something.

Riding to/from trails on the road around here would consist of me riding the sidewalk for a short stint and then another mile or two of quiet residential sleepyhood to the trail head. Very little traffic. Maybe a short 1/4 mile area where there's no sidewalk by a park, but I generally ride across the grass, cross over to a parking lot, through a ditch, and into the residential area.

Re Helmet light: If I were to only have one light...it'd be on the helmet. The bar mount is secondary IMO. You always want light pointing where you're looking. Sometimes in slow "techy" sections...you end up pointing the bars away from your intended destination to keep balance.