View Single Post
Old 02-14-14, 07:24 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Campag4life
Although I agree with you about the merits of Di2 which to me are undeniable, I don't agree with what you wrote in bold. Sram has done fine being the new kid on the block competing with two entrenched incumbents like Campy and Shimano. When a good company comes late to the party, they many times bring the best dish. That's because their engineers perform in depth competitive analysis and improve on the baseline already on the market. I do agree that Di2 is a very tough act to follow. Some believe Campy EPS is head and shoulders above Di2 in overall performance in fact but that is open for debate. Campy sure can't compete with Di2 pricing and where I believe Ultegra Di2 in particular has the best advantage. Price may in fact be Sram's calling card. They may undercut Di2 pricing and bring an overall level of performance that will surprise many. Only time will tell.
That is entirely possible, but I wonder whether it will be so. SRAM's approach to 11-speed manual shifting (where they also came late) has not been to undercut Shimano and Campy pricing. If what I read on the 41 is correct, they are actually in premium territory. That sets the stage for an interesting roll out one of these days.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...