Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Training Status??? (IV)

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Training Status??? (IV)

Old 07-30-16, 05:05 AM
  #5701  
Rides too much bike
 
dz_nuzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Boston
Posts: 842
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[MENTION=23594]grolby[/MENTION] one workout I have credited with really giving me a lot of mental and physical gains is going out for a 2-3 hour ride with the sole purpose of keeping my average watts inside of the tempo zone. Aside from the obvious aerobic workout you get there is an element of mental toughness you end up learning as well that really comes into play during the end game of a road race. See if your coach will schedule one in for you. I don't do them often (Maybe 1-2 times a month) but I really recommend them no matter who you are or what your strengths are.

Be warned, you will want to cry at the end if you did it right.
dz_nuzz is offline  
Old 07-30-16, 05:46 AM
  #5702  
Senior Member
 
grolby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: BOSTON BABY
Posts: 9,789
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Thanks, [MENTION=99188]tetonrider[/MENTION], that's really helpful. And [MENTION=360087]dz_nuzz[/MENTION] that seems like a good thing to try at some point.
grolby is offline  
Old 07-30-16, 07:38 AM
  #5703  
Nonsense
 
TheKillerPenguin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Vagabond
Posts: 13,918

Bikes: Affirmative

Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Ugh, do that. But don't do that. But you should do that. But why would you do that?!
TheKillerPenguin is offline  
Old 07-30-16, 08:16 AM
  #5704  
Ninny
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: The Gunks
Posts: 5,295
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tetonrider
how often do you train at intensity for >20'?
I don't think I understand this. To me, intensity means over 105% of FTP. Over 105% for more than 20 minutes would be right at the ragged edge of what is physically possible and would probably leave me wrecked for a couple of days. Maybe I'm just misunderstanding the terms?
globecanvas is offline  
Old 07-30-16, 09:17 AM
  #5705  
gmt
 
Grumpy McTrumpy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Binghamton, NY
Posts: 12,509
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
intensity can mean a lot of things. a 40k time trial may never even get to 105%. It may also be physiologically as intense as anything you ever do.
Grumpy McTrumpy is offline  
Old 07-30-16, 09:59 AM
  #5706  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 4,449
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by globecanvas
I don't think I understand this. To me, intensity means over 105% of FTP. Over 105% for more than 20 minutes would be right at the ragged edge of what is physically possible and would probably leave me wrecked for a couple of days. Maybe I'm just misunderstanding the terms?
He wrote that for anything of longer duration (eg 20') he is training at tempo power, whereas he struggles in races when there are hard efforts for 20'.

I suggested he push slightly higher power than where he is getting popped for close to 20' as well as go slightly lower power for greater than 20'. I didn't say "105%".

It sounds like you have added specific meaning to intensity. I used "intensive" to push the power ceiling and "extensive" to increase the duration. It could be applied to any power or duration, in truth.
tetonrider is offline  
Old 07-30-16, 10:04 AM
  #5707  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 4,449
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dz_nuzz
[MENTION=23594]grolby[/MENTION] one workout I have credited with really giving me a lot of mental and physical gains is going out for a 2-3 hour ride with the sole purpose of keeping my average watts inside of the tempo zone. Aside from the obvious aerobic workout you get there is an element of mental toughness you end up learning as well that really comes into play during the end game of a road race. See if your coach will schedule one in for you. I don't do them often (Maybe 1-2 times a month) but I really recommend them no matter who you are or what your strengths are.

Be warned, you will want to cry at the end if you did it right.
The mental component is huge. Increasing the time one can spend at tempo would also fall, for me, as extensive work.

I think here could be many factors at play in the race performance; since he commented specifically on not having "it" for 20', I accepted that and narrowed mt suggestion.

Your suggestion does help someone to learn how to suffer/grovel at the end.
tetonrider is offline  
Old 07-30-16, 10:06 AM
  #5708  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 4,449
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Grumpy McTrumpy
intensity can mean a lot of things. a 40k time trial may never even get to 105%. It may also be physiologically as intense as anything you ever do.
Amen.
tetonrider is offline  
Old 07-30-16, 10:32 AM
  #5709  
Ninny
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: The Gunks
Posts: 5,295
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tetonrider
It sounds like you have added specific meaning to intensity. I used "intensive" to push the power ceiling and "extensive" to increase the duration. It could be applied to any power or duration, in truth.
I do use "intensity" to mean vo2max or above. It's probably just a specific meaning I assigned on my own though. The rest makes sense now.
globecanvas is offline  
Old 07-30-16, 10:32 AM
  #5710  
OMC
 
revchuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: South Louisiana
Posts: 6,960

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
What are you guys calling "tempo?" 75-90% of threshold or something else?
revchuck is offline  
Old 07-30-16, 10:45 AM
  #5711  
Senior Member
 
Wylde06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NW Ohio
Posts: 2,208

Bikes: Cannondale Six13

Liked 58 Times in 21 Posts
90 minutes super easy.
Wylde06 is offline  
Old 07-30-16, 11:16 AM
  #5712  
Senior Member
 
aaronmcd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: SF, CA
Posts: 3,462

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by dz_nuzz
[MENTION=23594]grolby[/MENTION] one workout I have credited with really giving me a lot of mental and physical gains is going out for a 2-3 hour ride with the sole purpose of keeping my average watts inside of the tempo zone. Aside from the obvious aerobic workout you get there is an element of mental toughness you end up learning as well that really comes into play during the end game of a road race. See if your coach will schedule one in for you. I don't do them often (Maybe 1-2 times a month) but I really recommend them no matter who you are or what your strengths are.

Be warned, you will want to cry at the end if you did it right.
I almost never do this on a training ride, except the occasional 2 hour fast group ride at the low end of the durration. But almost every road race ends up with average power in tempo zone (Z3). For some reason I'm never motivated to do that solo. Though I do get NP in tempo for a 3-4 hour ride pretty often.
aaronmcd is offline  
Old 07-30-16, 12:33 PM
  #5713  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 4,449
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by globecanvas
I do use "intensity" to mean vo2max or above. It's probably just a specific meaning I assigned on my own though. The rest makes sense now.
I think it's subjective; I didn't expressly define it when I used it earlier, so it's natural for everyone reading it to assign their own interpretation of the term.

I'd agree that intensity is generally 'shorter & harder' in most power contexts, though it is always relative. Going from zone 1 to zone 2 is an increase in intensity, right?

I think we're on the same page now.
tetonrider is offline  
Old 07-30-16, 12:48 PM
  #5714  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 4,449
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by revchuck
What are you guys calling "tempo?" 75-90% of threshold or something else?
i think that's a generally accepted (power) definition of it.

in working with people i tend to define it a bit more in terms of effort than strict power: a level of riding that can be sustained for 2+ hours but requires concentration. conversation is possible but not always easy--sometimes you look for the shorter way of saying something.
tetonrider is offline  
Old 07-30-16, 12:52 PM
  #5715  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 4,449
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dz_nuzz
[MENTION=23594]grolby[/MENTION] one workout I have credited with really giving me a lot of mental and physical gains is going out for a 2-3 hour ride with the sole purpose of keeping my average watts inside of the tempo zone. Aside from the obvious aerobic workout you get there is an element of mental toughness you end up learning as well that really comes into play during the end game of a road race. See if your coach will schedule one in for you. I don't do them often (Maybe 1-2 times a month) but I really recommend them no matter who you are or what your strengths are.

Be warned, you will want to cry at the end if you did it right.
tempo for 2-3h makes you cry? i'm surprised to hear that based on how strong you are and what i've seen of your racing. (serious)
tetonrider is offline  
Old 07-30-16, 01:03 PM
  #5716  
Rides too much bike
 
dz_nuzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Boston
Posts: 842
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tetonrider
tempo for 2-3h makes you cry? i'm surprised to hear that based on how strong you are and what i've seen of your racing. (serious)
Perhaps exaggerated. It makes me start to really hurt at that point. Atleast when I try to keep the average power hovering at between 85-90% of FTP for that long. Most of my races never get me above a Z2 average.

I dunno. My guess is that around here a steady power output is not as common or useful at races due to the terrain in New England so many of us are not very well adapted to putting out a constant number.
dz_nuzz is offline  
Old 07-30-16, 01:13 PM
  #5717  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 4,449
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dz_nuzz
Perhaps exaggerated. It makes me start to really hurt at that point. Atleast when I try to keep the average power hovering at between 85-90% of FTP for that long. Most of my races never get me above a Z2 average.

I dunno. My guess is that around here a steady power output is not as common or useful at races due to the terrain in New England so many of us are not very well adapted to putting out a constant number.
ah, ok. so you are talking sweet-spot(-ish) power for 2-3 hours.

that's a different beast than a 2-3h tempo ride.

i'd bet that no races anywhere require steady power (+ or - 2.5%) for 2-3h -- that's not region-dependent.

had a conversation with a buddy a week ago about riding with others: most people seem to smash the hills and cruise the descents. we were saying how we like to keep it in a zone and actually push the downhill. neither one is right--we were just talking about how we like to do our longer rides.
tetonrider is offline  
Old 07-30-16, 01:21 PM
  #5718  
Rides too much bike
 
dz_nuzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Boston
Posts: 842
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ah yes the whole intensity question . I really should have been more specific really. I feel that any amount of "Tempo for hours" will net you a decent amount of benefit. Really I view it as learning how to deal with long-term fatigue vs. dealing with short-term fatigue. Maybe you need to do 4+ hours of lower Z3 and only 2-3 hours of higher Z3. I feel that both work but one gets things done faster and teaches you to go faster. But this is more anecdote and personal experience than me saying "This is the **** DO IT OR YOU LOSE." I think Lance beat me to that.
dz_nuzz is offline  
Old 07-30-16, 04:36 PM
  #5719  
Nonsense
 
TheKillerPenguin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Vagabond
Posts: 13,918

Bikes: Affirmative

Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
4.25hrs with intervally stuff. I think i accidentally broke my friend
TheKillerPenguin is offline  
Old 07-30-16, 04:38 PM
  #5720  
Nonsense
 
TheKillerPenguin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Vagabond
Posts: 13,918

Bikes: Affirmative

Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Also I like the nuzz tempo shenanigans. It really hurts a lot toward the end but if you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball or whatever. More than physically, it helps with practicing eating under pressure, keeping watts going on all terrain, keeping your eyes and mind focused so you don't become a lawn dart, etc...
TheKillerPenguin is offline  
Old 07-30-16, 05:20 PM
  #5721  
Senior Member
 
canuckbelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 944

Bikes: Scott Foil 10, Di2

Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Tempo for anything >60min is a serious mental effort. I remember the first time I had to do 90min. OMG. The struggle was real.
canuckbelle is offline  
Old 07-30-16, 05:51 PM
  #5722  
\_(ツ)_/
 
Ygduf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Redwood City, CA
Posts: 10,978

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by revchuck
What are you guys calling "tempo?" 75-90% of threshold or something else?
Originally Posted by Wylde06
90 minutes super easy.
well, there's the problem.
Ygduf is offline  
Old 07-30-16, 05:57 PM
  #5723  
OMC
 
revchuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: South Louisiana
Posts: 6,960

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Ygduf
well, there's the problem.
In spite of the fact that his post directly followed mine, I think he was posting about his ride rather than responding to my question. Those twins must be gettin' to ya.
__________________
Regards,
Chuck

Demain, on roule!
revchuck is offline  
Old 07-30-16, 06:00 PM
  #5724  
\_(ツ)_/
 
Ygduf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Redwood City, CA
Posts: 10,978

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by revchuck
In spite of the fact that his post directly followed mine, I think he was posting about his ride rather than responding to my question. Those twins must be gettin' to ya.
smh. I don't want to explain the joke but I was just pointing out the coincidence of post timing!
Ygduf is offline  
Old 07-30-16, 06:04 PM
  #5725  
OMC
 
revchuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: South Louisiana
Posts: 6,960

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
I still say it was the twins...
__________________
Regards,
Chuck

Demain, on roule!
revchuck is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.