Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Training Status??? (IV)

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Training Status??? (IV)

Old 09-22-17, 02:15 PM
  #9801  
Not actually Tmonk
 
TMonk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 13,187

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1938 Post(s)
Liked 2,280 Times in 1,241 Posts
Originally Posted by TexMac
It seems like if you don't have some aches, you aren't training hard/gaining fitness
right, the kicker is being experienced enough know the difference between good aches and pains and bad ones
__________________
"Your beauty is an aeroplane;
so high, my heart cannot bear the strain." -A.C. Jobim, Triste
TMonk is online now  
Old 09-22-17, 05:14 PM
  #9802  
\_(ツ)_/
 
Ygduf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Redwood City, CA
Posts: 10,978

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Ttoc6
These Watts seem a bit pitiful.


still cant quite tell which is watts
Ygduf is offline  
Old 09-22-17, 09:05 PM
  #9803  
Cat 2
 
Ttoc6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: UT
Posts: 1,570

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Ygduf

still cant quite tell which is watts
Avg power of 109 for 20 minutes.
Ttoc6 is offline  
Old 09-22-17, 10:16 PM
  #9804  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 4,449
Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ttoc6
These Watts seem a bit pitiful.
That same company makes a SkiERG, by the way. It's like a rower placed vertically. It's easy to have one at home as a result. Useful for your double-poling! (hint hint)

Originally Posted by Doge
They don't usually do watts. They do time. 2K time, 6K time.
I can't translate.
There's got to be a conversion, though. Weight isn't a factor.
tetonrider is offline  
Old 09-22-17, 10:24 PM
  #9805  
Senior Member
 
caloso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Sacramento, California, USA
Posts: 40,865

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,101 Times in 1,415 Posts
Unstructured detour commute for 70 min, then put on my cleats to help my son with some soccer drills. Really exposes the weakness in my hips.
caloso is offline  
Old 09-22-17, 11:26 PM
  #9806  
Senior Member
 
Doge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Southern California, USA
Posts: 10,470

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3373 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by tetonrider
...

There's got to be a conversion, though. Weight isn't a factor.
Sure there is. Weight is not a factor in conversion, it does matter for who puts out more. A whole lot. I used power when doing the collegiate recruiting rounds. It was cycling power conversion that gave junior an opportunity to row for college although his rowing time wasn't there yet. I didn't see a point in going into it on this thread as someone is cross training. But rowers do not talk power.
Doge is offline  
Old 09-23-17, 12:25 AM
  #9807  
Cat 2
 
Ttoc6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: UT
Posts: 1,570

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by tetonrider
That same company makes a SkiERG, by the way. It's like a rower placed vertically. It's easy to have one at home as a result. Useful for your double-poling! (hint hint)
Okay, Okay. I'll ski . I almost had some co-workers convinced to get up early Friday morning and hike up to the top of Snow Basin to make first turns of the season, but after looking at how miserable that hike (both due to the gain and the weather) would be with skis on our backs.. we all kinda bailed lol.

Also, what a coincidence to see you on another forums
Ttoc6 is offline  
Old 09-23-17, 01:00 AM
  #9808  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 4,449
Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
Sure there is. Weight is not a factor in conversion, it does matter for who puts out more. A whole lot. I used power when doing the collegiate recruiting rounds. It was cycling power conversion that gave junior an opportunity to row for college although his rowing time wasn't there yet. I didn't see a point in going into it on this thread as someone is cross training. But rowers do not talk power.
there's gotta be an inherent conversion that recruiters are making between time and power because as you know the rower doesn't take into account weight, but weight is absolutely relevant on the water.

it's not enough to say one rowed 2k in x:xx.

that 2k time straight-up implies a power (and guess what...those machines display it, same as with the SkiERG!). the recruiters surely take weight into account, too.

it might not be as explicit as it is in cycling, but it's surely there.
tetonrider is offline  
Old 09-23-17, 01:02 AM
  #9809  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 4,449
Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ttoc6
Okay, Okay. I'll ski . I almost had some co-workers convinced to get up early Friday morning and hike up to the top of Snow Basin to make first turns of the season, but after looking at how miserable that hike (both due to the gain and the weather) would be with skis on our backs.. we all kinda bailed lol.

Also, what a coincidence to see you on another forums
what's wrong with hiking with skis on your back? if it's consistently steep, that's not a bad way to go.

and you probably do want that tri-spoke...for real. i'd keep it but have too many tri-spokes and too many discs.
tetonrider is offline  
Old 09-23-17, 01:13 AM
  #9810  
**** that
 
mattm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CALI
Posts: 15,402
Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1098 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Race season is over.

Feels weird to be temporarily be relieved of the self-inflicted pressure to keep training.
__________________
cat 1.

my race videos
mattm is offline  
Old 09-23-17, 06:45 AM
  #9811  
Cat 2
 
Ttoc6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: UT
Posts: 1,570

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by tetonrider
what's wrong with hiking with skis on your back? if it's consistently steep, that's not a bad way to go.

and you probably do want that tri-spoke...for real. i'd keep it but have too many tri-spokes and too many discs.
I'll be in touch. Need to sell a few things on my front. Have some road wheels I'm not using anymore and thinking I want to move to a racier (read:lighter) mtb, so I'm going to try and break even on that while people are buying mtbs here.
Ttoc6 is offline  
Old 09-23-17, 08:08 AM
  #9812  
Senior Member
 
Doge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Southern California, USA
Posts: 10,470

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3373 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by tetonrider
there's gotta be an inherent conversion that recruiters are making between time and power because as you know the rower doesn't take into account weight, but weight is absolutely relevant on the water.

it's not enough to say one rowed 2k in x:xx.

that 2k time straight-up implies a power (and guess what...those machines display it, same as with the SkiERG!). the recruiters surely take weight into account, too.

it might not be as explicit as it is in cycling, but it's surely there.
You are right, I was not trying to go into it all. There is more they do because machine times are not exactly equal to the on-water times. And teams work differently. Lactic acid is another some coaches want to know.

It goes a bit like...
A raw 2K ERG time of 6:15 will get you in period (if meeting academic mins).
A 6:30 and <150lbs will, if you are heavier maybe not
There just are not enough of the above with the grades and test scores. So the next group...
6:30-7:00 - well it depends. How new are you, how heavy, lactic acid tolerance, size, work ethic...where do you fit in the boat/what does coach need, how easy will it be to get you through admin, will you keep rowing 4 years (because you don't have to) etc.
Doge is offline  
Old 09-23-17, 05:09 PM
  #9813  
Senior Member
 
aaronmcd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: SF, CA
Posts: 3,462

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm
Race season is over.

Feels weird to be temporarily be relieved of the self-inflicted pressure to keep training.
But still, next season is on the back of the mind and one doesn't wanna build up quite from zero.

But I'll be in Thailand the first half of November so I might be starting up again from a low load.
aaronmcd is offline  
Old 09-23-17, 09:22 PM
  #9814  
**** that
 
mattm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CALI
Posts: 15,402
Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1098 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by aaronmcd
But still, next season is on the back of the mind and one doesn't wanna build up quite from zero.

But I'll be in Thailand the first half of November so I might be starting up again from a low load.
Indeed. I did 70 or so solo miles at a tough-ish pace today, thinking of early-season races.

This year I had to take like a month off to take care of my dad in January, and lost a good deal of fitness in the process. Hoping I can have a "regular" season next year and be able to train/race through it without any big gaps.
__________________
cat 1.

my race videos
mattm is offline  
Old 09-24-17, 06:57 AM
  #9815  
Senior Member
 
miyata man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,187
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Temps in the 90's with heat index hovering between 100-110 at noon when I've set out the last couple days. Nothing says welcome back to light recreational riding like losing 10lbs of body weight and running a fever most of the last 48 hours.
miyata man is offline  
Old 09-24-17, 08:59 AM
  #9816  
Nonsense
 
TheKillerPenguin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Vagabond
Posts: 13,916

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 538 Times in 236 Posts
Last Sunday I did a 418TSS ride with the team, and today is like the first day since that I have felt relatively normal. The final climb was 40min long and started at 6.5hrs in, and I was stupid enough to see how close I could stick to the team's best climber. Never gone so deep! Tempo feels awful after riding for so long, my hamstrings have been aching since! Stretching and massage are the only things that have seemed to help, taking a standard recovery period did nothing for them.

Hoping to get in some decent work today and start a new training cycle on Tuesday.
TheKillerPenguin is offline  
Old 09-24-17, 09:45 AM
  #9817  
Ninny
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: The Gunks
Posts: 5,295
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Been doing a bunch of one leg squats -- feel like I've finally figured out the right form for these to feel strong. But it's amazing to me how much weaker my left leg is. I wonder how long I have to do them before it starts to even out, if ever?

I have a few ways I do them, one is to just bend one leg & squat on the other until the bent leg knee touches the ground, then come up, trying to keep the upper body straight and feel it all through the quad and glutes. I can do up to 10 of these with good form on the right leg, but struggle to do 5 on the left. If I don't go quite so far down I can do them with better form on the left, so that's what I've been doing, not quite touching the right knee, touching the left knee, which feels balanced as far as effort and maintaining form goes.

Last edited by globecanvas; 09-24-17 at 09:56 AM.
globecanvas is offline  
Old 09-24-17, 10:38 AM
  #9818  
Senior Member
 
Wylde06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NW Ohio
Posts: 2,208

Bikes: Cannondale Six13

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 21 Posts
2 hours on the mountain bikes trails this morning. About to go head out again for another ride
Wylde06 is offline  
Old 09-24-17, 11:31 AM
  #9819  
Cat 2
 
Ttoc6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: UT
Posts: 1,570

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
St on the rowing machine again this morning and did some squats, box jumps and cattle bell lifts.
@Doge, I gave it a bit more effort for a 2k today and saw myself at right about 9 minutes. No inborn talent here
Ttoc6 is offline  
Old 09-24-17, 01:36 PM
  #9820  
Senior Member
 
Doge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Southern California, USA
Posts: 10,470

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3373 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by Ttoc6
St on the rowing machine again this morning and did some squats, box jumps and cattle bell lifts.
@Doge, I gave it a bit more effort for a 2k today and saw myself at right about 9 minutes. No inborn talent here
I think once you learn, the watts will be close, but that takes about 6 months - 3X a week, 30min per on that machine. Some coaching too.

Former USA pro, got on and pulled about 7min 2K @ ~45ish years old. I was very impressed. It was his machine, so I can't tell you how much he trained.

The year after riding for Cannondale another pro, still 30s, pulled about a 6:15 @ 155 lbs with his foot in a cast having not rowed in 10 years. Before that he was a world champion and Olympic rower and told me his best times were ~6 and best in the world.

So there is something to the art.

I can do big W in the anaerobic ranges, higher than on the bike, but do not have the aerobic capacity to keep up. I die.

If your aerobic system is a limiting factor, this is a great tool.

Last edited by Doge; 09-24-17 at 02:28 PM.
Doge is offline  
Old 09-24-17, 03:29 PM
  #9821  
Senior Member
 
miyata man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,187
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ttoc6
St on the rowing machine again this morning and did some squats, box jumps and cattle bell lifts.
Stick to snow bunnies. They are more expensive but much funner to chase than heiffers.
miyata man is offline  
Old 09-24-17, 04:10 PM
  #9822  
Senior Member
 
aaronmcd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: SF, CA
Posts: 3,462

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
Yesterday I drove down to do the race ride I used to do. We don't have anything like that in the city.

I jumped in a break about 15 minutes from the main midpoint sprint. Too far for me but felt like working on break efforts. It kinda sucked because it was devolving into the stupid cat 4 style rotatimg paceline with too few guys vs short pulls and I know that's a sure way for everyone to expend more energy putting the weaker guys at a disadvantage. Then when we finally got into a short pull rhythm the 2 strong guys wanted to surge and hurt everyone which of course causes the other 3 guys to slow down at the front. A couple guys caught us at the sprint and I blew up of course cuz 15 minutes is too long for me.

Then I went otf solo a few minutes before another main sprint, which is so much better, but I still got caught just at the leadout. Fun though. Tacked on a few miles.

Today I just got brunch with friends while a bunch of roudy strangers watched a football game. Go off season!
aaronmcd is offline  
Old 09-24-17, 07:04 PM
  #9823  
\_(ツ)_/
 
Ygduf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Redwood City, CA
Posts: 10,978

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by aaronmcd

I jumped in a break about 15 minutes from the main midpoint sprint. Too far for me but felt like working on break efforts. It kinda sucked because it was devolving into the stupid cat 4 style rotatimg paceline with too few guys vs short pulls and I know that's a sure way for everyone to expend more energy putting the weaker guys at a disadvantage. Then when we finally got into a short pull rhythm the 2 strong guys wanted to surge and hurt everyone which of course causes the other 3 guys to slow down at the front. A couple guys caught us at the sprint and I blew up of course cuz 15 minutes is too long for me.
Benko, Wohlberg, Troy and I all know wtf we're doing. Everytime Troy rotated off you pulled right behind him making Wohlberg brake and putting me into the wind. When you'd move left and take a turn.

Not sure who you thought was going too hard, but probably Benko. He wasn't though.
Ygduf is offline  
Old 09-24-17, 07:18 PM
  #9824  
Senior Member
 
aaronmcd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: SF, CA
Posts: 3,462

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Ygduf
Benko, Wohlberg, Troy and I all know wtf we're doing. Everytime Troy rotated off you pulled right behind him making Wohlberg brake and putting me into the wind. When you'd move left and take a turn.

Not sure who you thought was going too hard, but probably Benko. He wasn't though.
Idk. As a weaker rider in almost all breaks I'll pretty much refuse to do the whole rotate continuously stuff. That's how to drop the weaker rider, and fir me its about survival and keeping speed up. But first survival! So I guess if others are trying to force a continuous rotation it doesn't harm me to force longer pulls cuz otherwise I'm gonna blow up. I guess its not fast to mess with the rotation like that but its faster (and I may even survive) if everyone does short pulls. Everyone rotating like that annoys me probably as much as my waiting to pull through annoys you I guess. Also you wouldn't ever think a pull is too hard probably!

I never really yell. Except when people try and rotate quickly like that. But still I'm not much of a yeller so I'll just get frustrated at ppl
aaronmcd is offline  
Old 09-24-17, 07:56 PM
  #9825  
Senior Member
 
aaronmcd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: SF, CA
Posts: 3,462

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
Also I know some people say sit on the back. Idk, in my experience this is a fast way to get yelled at. People think I'm being lazy when I sit at the back. People may get annoyed but don't necessarily think I'm being lazy if I try and get longer pulls going. Plus longer pulls if done correctly will actually benefit the group cuz everyone can work.
aaronmcd is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.