Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

The helmet thread

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.
View Poll Results: Helmet wearing habits?
I've never worn a bike helmet
178
10.66%
I used to wear a helmet, but have stopped
94
5.63%
I've always worn a helmet
648
38.80%
I didn't wear a helmet, but now do
408
24.43%
I sometimes wear a helmet depending on the conditions
342
20.48%
Voters: 1670. You may not vote on this poll

The helmet thread

Old 05-06-12, 10:09 AM
  #2126  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 6,401
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
You guys still aren't up to speed on the magic hats, are you?

Helmet touched ground = helmet saved life. Duh.
Six jours is offline  
Old 05-06-12, 11:42 AM
  #2127  
Banned.
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Uncertain
Posts: 8,651
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Drummerboy1975
So your ribs are equally as important as your brain?

You win.
Are you being deliberately obtuse?

There is absolutely no reason to suppose that the rider would have suffered a head injury had he not been wearing a helmet, given that other parts of his body had already hit the ground harder and sustained no particular damage. The fact that the helmet touched the ground does not mean it saved his life, or even his scalp.

Is that any clearer?
chasm54 is offline  
Old 05-06-12, 03:22 PM
  #2128  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 6,401
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by chasm54
Are you being deliberately obtuse?
I'm pretty sure it's not deliberate.
Six jours is offline  
Old 05-07-12, 01:29 AM
  #2129  
Senior Member
 
rekmeyata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NE Indiana
Posts: 8,690

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1128 Post(s)
Liked 257 Times in 207 Posts
Oh my god these posts are the funniest I've ever seen. Keep up the comedy routine guys, this is great!!

I don't believe in helmets either because of natural selection, it's an evolutionary process, only the smartest will survive, those wearing helmets, the rest will go extinct. So keep on not wearing helmets, we need the less intelligent to become extinct.
rekmeyata is offline  
Old 05-07-12, 02:00 AM
  #2130  
Cycle Year Round
 
CB HI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Honolulu, HI
Posts: 13,644
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by rekmeyata
Oh my god these posts are the funniest I've ever seen. Keep up the comedy routine guys, this is great!!

I don't believe in helmets either because of natural selection, it's an evolutionary process, only the smartest will survive, those wearing helmets, the rest will go extinct. So keep on not wearing helmets, we need the less intelligent to become extinct.
I am pretty sure this cyclist is smarter than YOU.


He lived a long life without a helmet.
Attached Images
__________________
Land of the Free, Because of the Brave.
CB HI is offline  
Old 05-07-12, 02:27 AM
  #2131  
Banned.
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Uncertain
Posts: 8,651
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rekmeyata
Oh my god these posts are the funniest I've ever seen. Keep up the comedy routine guys, this is great!!

I don't believe in helmets either because of natural selection, it's an evolutionary process, only the smartest will survive, those wearing helmets, the rest will go extinct. So keep on not wearing helmets, we need the less intelligent to become extinct.
So original. We haven't head that one before, really.


However, your comment does provide an example of a phenomenon which this thread illustrates better than anything else I have ever seen. Namely, the extent to which many people are threatened when reality appears to conflict with their assumptions and beliefs. They cannot countenance the fact that they may have been mistaken, or misled. That would diminish them in their own eyes, they feel it would make them look foolish, their own rightness is enormously important to them. So even those with the intelligence to do so, refuse to engage with the data. Instead they protect themselves by rejecting any sort of rational debate, and fall back inn playground insults. "it's obvious" "You're stupid" "you have nothing in there worth protecting".

There are exceptions. A pity you're not one of them.
chasm54 is offline  
Old 05-07-12, 07:13 AM
  #2132  
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Lincoln Ne
Posts: 9,924

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Well if the anti helmet cult is willing to let their bare head hit concrete, fine by me. Personally I would rather have a helmet between me and that very hard surface. Or maybe they have had that hit, and thats why their muddled thots on the subject.
rydabent is offline  
Old 05-07-12, 01:38 PM
  #2133  
Geck, wo ist mein Fahrrad
 
Rx Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Front Range
Posts: 715
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
. . .and thats why their muddled thots on the subject.
Rx Rider is offline  
Old 05-07-12, 08:23 PM
  #2134  
Senior Member
 
Wylde06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NW Ohio
Posts: 2,208

Bikes: Cannondale Six13

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by CB HI
Helped do what exactly, scrap some dirt off someone's lawn. It certainly did not help prevent a concussion.
If you say so

Originally Posted by Rx Rider
no, it helped a LBS sell another helmet
Performance pulled through and gave me a new helmet no cost to me
Wylde06 is offline  
Old 05-07-12, 08:34 PM
  #2135  
Geck, wo ist mein Fahrrad
 
Rx Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Front Range
Posts: 715
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wylde06
Performance pulled through and gave me a new helmet no cost to me

cool

Last edited by Rx Rider; 05-07-12 at 11:17 PM.
Rx Rider is offline  
Old 05-07-12, 08:35 PM
  #2136  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 6,401
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by rekmeyata
I don't believe in helmets either because of natural selection, it's an evolutionary process, only the smartest will survive, those wearing helmets, the rest will go extinct. So keep on not wearing helmets, we need the less intelligent to become extinct.
As though we really want to be populated by people too useless to survive a bare-headed bicycle ride. Helmeteers = natural selection thwarted.
Six jours is offline  
Old 05-07-12, 10:41 PM
  #2137  
Cycle Year Round
 
CB HI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Honolulu, HI
Posts: 13,644
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Well if the anti helmet cult is willing to let their bare head hit concrete, fine by me. Personally I would rather have a helmet between me and that very hard surface. Or maybe they have had that hit, and thats why their muddled thots on the subject.
Apparently your "thots" define you and your hard skull.

https://www.myspace.com/drekeytheghet...-rino-68764965
__________________
Land of the Free, Because of the Brave.
CB HI is offline  
Old 05-08-12, 03:01 AM
  #2138  
Senior Member
 
rekmeyata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NE Indiana
Posts: 8,690

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1128 Post(s)
Liked 257 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Well if the anti helmet cult is willing to let their bare head hit concrete, fine by me. Personally I would rather have a helmet between me and that very hard surface. Or maybe they have had that hit, and thats why their muddled thots on the subject.
And that was my point, let the thick skulled primates hit their heads and get them off this planet so the rest of mankind can go on. I can't believe with all the studies and proof to back up the FACT that helmets do work...granted, not 100 percent of the time, but then neither do seat belts, shoulder straps and air bags. So with their logic that helmets don't work then they shouldn't wear seat belts, shoulder straps and air bags...after all a whole lot of people survived driving without any of that "junk" ever being used and died as old people and died not in car accidents.
rekmeyata is offline  
Old 05-08-12, 03:07 AM
  #2139  
Cycle Year Round
 
CB HI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Honolulu, HI
Posts: 13,644
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by rekmeyata
And that was my point, let the thick skulled primates hit their heads and get them off this planet so the rest of mankind can go on. I can't believe with all the studies and proof to back up the FACT that helmets do work...granted, not 100 percent of the time, but then neither do seat belts, shoulder straps and air bags. So with their logic that helmets don't work then they shouldn't wear seat belts, shoulder straps and air bags...after all a whole lot of people survived driving without any of that "junk" ever being used and died as old people and died not in car accidents.
So you do think you are smarter than this guy!

__________________
Land of the Free, Because of the Brave.
CB HI is offline  
Old 05-08-12, 03:17 AM
  #2140  
Senior Member
 
rekmeyata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NE Indiana
Posts: 8,690

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1128 Post(s)
Liked 257 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by CB HI
So you do think you are smarter than this guy!

They didn't have helmets back then for bikers, and Einstein didn't wear seat belts, shoulder straps or air bags...why? Because they weren't in cars yet, they were optional in some cars in the mid 50's but he died in 55. So your argument based on Einstein is baseless.
rekmeyata is offline  
Old 05-08-12, 03:58 AM
  #2141  
Senior Member
 
Monster Pete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Warwick, UK
Posts: 1,049

Bikes: 2000-something 3 speed commuter, 1990-something Raleigh Scorpion

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Seatbelts etc are proven to work effectively and save lives. Bicycle helmets are not, nor are they even designed to.
Monster Pete is offline  
Old 05-08-12, 04:03 AM
  #2142  
Senior Member
 
rekmeyata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NE Indiana
Posts: 8,690

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1128 Post(s)
Liked 257 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by Monster Pete
Seatbelts etc are proven to work effectively and save lives. Bicycle helmets are not, nor are they even designed to.
Fantastic, then don't wear a helmet and go against all studies that prove they are effective.
rekmeyata is offline  
Old 05-08-12, 04:10 AM
  #2143  
Banned.
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Uncertain
Posts: 8,651
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rekmeyata
Fantastic, then don't wear a helmet and go against all studies that prove they are effective.
Perhaps you'd like to cite a particular study that you believe proves their effectiveness? Then it would be possible to have an actual debate, as opposed to dismissing you as a troll.
chasm54 is offline  
Old 05-08-12, 04:39 AM
  #2144  
Infamous Member
 
chipcom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Ohio
Posts: 24,360

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Another day without falling down, going boom and hoiting my widdle head. Darwin was right, survival of the fittest, helmets for the rest.
__________________
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
chipcom is offline  
Old 05-08-12, 08:22 AM
  #2145  
Geck, wo ist mein Fahrrad
 
Rx Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Front Range
Posts: 715
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chipcom
Darwin was right, survival of the fittest, helmets for the rest.
have to agree, if you need styrofoam on your head in order to evolve maybe you shouldn't be allowed to anyway.
but then if a slo-mo fall can kill w/out a helmet what kind of genes are we allowing to dominate? isn't that de-evolving?
no wonder apes took over the planet, we were too busy looking for safety equipment instead of just fighting back.
Rx Rider is offline  
Old 05-08-12, 08:37 AM
  #2146  
Senior Member
 
Drummerboy1975's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 1,367

Bikes: '81 Fuji Royale/ '96 Rockhopper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
It's going to be a sad day when you Helmet Haters wreck and hurt yourselves bad enough. You'll wish you had won one then.
Drummerboy1975 is offline  
Old 05-08-12, 08:39 AM
  #2147  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Far beyond the pale horizon.
Posts: 14,355
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4312 Post(s)
Liked 1,387 Times in 967 Posts
Originally Posted by CB HI
So you do think you are smarter than this guy!



Do you smoke (like he did)?

If you think this is a good argument for not wearing a helmet, you've lost the argument.
njkayaker is offline  
Old 05-08-12, 08:51 AM
  #2148  
Infamous Member
 
chipcom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Ohio
Posts: 24,360

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Drummerboy1975
It's going to be a sad day when you Helmet Haters wreck and hurt yourselves bad enough. You'll wish you had won one then.
I've got nearly 50 years of happiness riding without a helmet under my belt...how many years do I have to wait for your doom and gloom predictions to come true?

It can't be much of a life to live in fear of hurting yourself all the time. I feel sorry for you.
__________________
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
chipcom is offline  
Old 05-08-12, 08:56 AM
  #2149  
Banned.
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Uncertain
Posts: 8,651
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Drummerboy1975
It's going to be a sad day when you Helmet Haters wreck and hurt yourselves bad enough. You'll wish you had won one then.
The chances of my having that accident are small. But if it happens, I'll know that it is very unlikely that a helmet would have made any difference.

Conversing with you would be far more interesting if you actually attempted to engage in some sort of analysis of the facts, rather than just making unsupported assertions that are supported by nothing other than your own assumptions. Go back and read the posts by Skye and Meanwhile on page 85. Then come back and explain why, in your view, they are mistaken. Alternatively,don't waste our time further.
chasm54 is offline  
Old 05-08-12, 09:13 AM
  #2150  
Geck, wo ist mein Fahrrad
 
Rx Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Front Range
Posts: 715
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
whilst not wearing a helmet: separated ribs, bruised ribs, bruised hip socket, broken fingers, road rash on knees, elbows, arms, back, chin.
head still okay, 'cept for that head lac I got while wearing a helmet.
Rx Rider is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.