Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

The Helmet Thread 2

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.
View Poll Results: What Are Your Helmet Wearing Habits?
I've never worn a bike helmet
52
10.40%
I used to wear a helmet, but have stopped
24
4.80%
I've always worn a helmet
208
41.60%
I didn't wear a helmet, but now do
126
25.20%
I sometimes wear a helmet depending on the conditions
90
18.00%
Voters: 500. You may not vote on this poll

The Helmet Thread 2

Old 04-15-24, 07:55 PM
  #3851  
TC1
Full Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2023
Location: Illinois
Posts: 478
Liked 129 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Yes so is asphalt now significantly softer than rocks?
Look up the definition of "everything". You will clearly be surprised by its meaning.

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Nonsense? How is what I wrote nonsense.
Originally Posted by veganbikes
I see a light on a bicycle I feel it is unsafe same with brakes.
Again, go find whatever chemical you need to ingest to restore your brain's function.

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Did I state that helmets prevent impacts, no, I don't think anyone has said that but they protect your head IN an impact.
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Despite it increasing the "effective size of your "head"" they do help prevent impacts
We're done here. If you cannot even be remotely honest and, at least, own the garbage you just posted, there's no point in me continuing to educate you.

Originally Posted by veganbikes
So where are these studies, so far you haven't posted a single one you allude to them constantly but never can provide one,
As entertaining as your continued embarrassing ignorance is, I already explained to you that the statistics in question are from the NHTSA. Links that site have also been provided, in case you are not even capable of googling it, or even guessing the appropriate address.

If you are seriously doubting the accuracy of those statistics, you are only broadcasting that you haven't done even the most basic step in understanding this discussion, which is both unsurprising and pathetic.
TC1 is offline  
Old 04-15-24, 07:56 PM
  #3852  
Clark W. Griswold
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: ,location, location
Posts: 14,238

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Liked 4,340 Times in 2,898 Posts
Originally Posted by TC1
So you are unaware that there are about 70M youth cyclists in the US, and only about 50M adults? How can that situation exist, if kids are not stopping once they become adults?



You might should consider reading the article, before embarrassing yourself further. Also, fivethirtyeight is a highly respected outlet -- I'm not surprised that you are unaware of this, unfortunately.



Could you be any less informed, if you actually tried to be?



Why then can no such signal be identified in the relevant statistics?



Why then does that precise situation exist in the relevant statistics?



This is embarrassing even by your low standard. The referenced article was with respect to why people do not ride, with the answer being fear. And the statistics are available from the NHTSA -- which everyone capable of participating in this discussion already knows.



As previously explained, in some cases, yes -- specifically, when the bare head does not contact anything in the same situation where a helmet does. This is not hard to comprehend.

That said, this is not the question. The question is, does a dainty little plastic hat offer any protection in this, or any other, scenario? And the relevant statistics say "No".



Cigarettes still exist, and they sure as hell don't protect anyone. Very few items that can be profitably sold cease to exist.



Again, stop wasting my time. I already explained many times in many posts that helmets can be made that are useful. If you cannot understand the discussion, I invite you to discontinue here.

If the quality of your comments does not improve, you will not receive any more responses from me.
I am not arguing on kids stopping cycling when they become adults I am saying it is not because of whatever nonsense you believe. I know many kids don't ride as adults but again nothing to do with helmets at least not in any large numbers.

I did read the article it is not a peer reviewed study and DOESN'T MENTION HELMETS. You are arguing about helmets and your single piece of info and evidence is an article not about what you are arguing about. It is about women not cycling but is unrelated to helmets. Distracted driving is not related to helmets.

Yes cigarettes still exist that was not the point, the point was science and knowledge has moved on from back in the day.

A dainty plastic hat? What is this dainty plastic hat? A helmet is different, usually will have a plastic shell covering foam designed specifically for impacts it is not dainty having hit them with sledgehammers they can be quite resilient taking a few good hits before they are quite damaged. They are also designed for impacts specifically and rigorously tested especially those from quality manufacturers but for some reason that eludes you.

Wait you won't respond to me anymore, oh no. You have no real arguments or data to back up your opinion so I can understand repeating plastic over and over is getting hard for you. I mean I would give up if I had no real argument. If you want to give up go for it I won't be sad and if you want to continue go for it.
veganbikes is offline  
Old 04-15-24, 07:59 PM
  #3853  
Expired Member
 
shelbyfv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: TN
Posts: 12,235
Liked 6,133 Times in 3,094 Posts
OK, you've convinced me. If I wear a helmet I'll die on the bike. Or is that off the bike?
shelbyfv is offline  
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 04-15-24, 08:04 PM
  #3854  
TC1
Full Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2023
Location: Illinois
Posts: 478
Liked 129 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
OK, you've convinced me. If I wear a helmet I'll die on the bike. Or is that off the bike?
This is actually a serious topic, and one that effects everyone who rides in public. It is likely beyond your comprehension, as you demonstrated, but given that it is germane to the forum charter, perhaps you can ruminate on Twain's advice regarding fools and silence before continuing to waste our time?
TC1 is offline  
Old 04-15-24, 08:09 PM
  #3855  
Clark W. Griswold
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: ,location, location
Posts: 14,238

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Liked 4,340 Times in 2,898 Posts
Originally Posted by TC1
Look up the definition of "everything". You will clearly be surprised by its meaning.





Again, go find whatever chemical you need to ingest to restore your brain's function.





We're done here. If you cannot even be remotely honest and, at least, own the garbage you just posted, there's no point in me continuing to educate you.



As entertaining as your continued embarrassing ignorance is, I already explained to you that the statistics in question are from the NHTSA. Links that site have also been provided, in case you are not even capable of googling it, or even guessing the appropriate address.

If you are seriously doubting the accuracy of those statistics, you are only broadcasting that you haven't done even the most basic step in understanding this discussion, which is both unsurprising and pathetic.
So asphalt is significantly softer than rocks now? You never answered that you keep harping on the everything. If that is all you have sure I wrote everything good job on reading comprehension. If you can answer the question at hand now please love to hear your answer otherwise I think I will go take a nap.

I don't need chemicals or drugs that sounds like a you thing that you are trying to put on me because you feel guilty about it. I was making a joke about brakes and lights you took it as something truly serious.

You haven't linked to anything from the NHTSA, if it is so easy to find and that is now what you are using to back up your poor argument you can link to it. I don't need to go looking for it. I am not making the argument that a helmet is unsafe. Nobody is, you are the only one. I always find when people have to say "google it" they have long ago lost. If you have peer reviewed studies to back up that a helmet is unsafe then you would have posted them and promoted them. You wouldn't be just harping on chemicals and plastic as you have done.

You are holding a position that nobody else is holding but you cannot back it up. It is like being the last sniper in the tower with the allies surrounding you and you are shouting "bang" at them and saying "I just shot you with the rifle I have here, you have to lay down and die" and not actually shooting them or even seeming to have said rifle.
veganbikes is offline  
Old 04-15-24, 08:15 PM
  #3856  
Clark W. Griswold
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: ,location, location
Posts: 14,238

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Liked 4,340 Times in 2,898 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
OK, you've convinced me. If I wear a helmet I'll die on the bike. Or is that off the bike?
You will need to just google it. The data exists but I don't want to provide it you however a Buzzfeed person said that helmets will give you helmet hair and helmet hair is the number one killer.

To those who may not understand this is a joke. I am laughing while writing this and you should to. Have some fun in life.
veganbikes is offline  
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 04-15-24, 08:19 PM
  #3857  
Expired Member
 
shelbyfv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: TN
Posts: 12,235
Liked 6,133 Times in 3,094 Posts
Originally Posted by TC1
This is actually a serious topic, and one that effects everyone who rides in public. It is likely beyond your comprehension, as you demonstrated, but given that it is germane to the forum charter, perhaps you can ruminate on Twain's advice regarding fools and silence before continuing to waste our time?
Sorry, I'm smarter than you and I'm not the one posting unhinged on the internet. The others don't need help from me, they've whacked you down sufficiently. I'm just here for the entertainment.
shelbyfv is offline  
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 04-15-24, 08:28 PM
  #3858  
Senior Member
 
Trakhak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 5,836
Liked 3,366 Times in 1,906 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
These helmet threads bring out some truly twisted logic.
I've often thought that a professor teaching a course in logical reasoning would do well to assign students the task of reading through this thread. Plenty of failures of logic in various flavors, all invariably expressed with great vehemence.
Trakhak is offline  
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 04-15-24, 08:34 PM
  #3859  
TC1
Full Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2023
Location: Illinois
Posts: 478
Liked 129 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
I am not arguing on kids stopping cycling when they become adults I am saying it is not because of whatever nonsense you believe. I know many kids don't ride as adults but again nothing to do with helmets at least not in any large numbers.
You said you don't drink coffee. Consider starting, or trying something to assist with your reading comprehension skills, which are grade-school level. The point is that the perceived danger of cycling is what stops many from riding.

Originally Posted by veganbikes
I did read the article it is not a peer reviewed study and DOESN'T MENTION HELMETS.
You obviously didn't read it, nor were you familiar with the source. Again, the point is that the perceived danger of cycling is what stops many from riding. Try to keep up.

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Yes cigarettes still exist that was not the point, the point was science and knowledge has moved on from back in the day.
You are confusing yourself. You questioned why helmets still exist, if they do not keep people safe. I explained that many products which do not keep people safe remain on sale. Now you are claiming that "science and knowledge has moved on" -- which means you are now agreeing with me, and realize that the outdated belief in bicycle helmet efficiency should have disappeared by now, and so it's legitimate to wonder why they are even still available to purchase. Are you now agreeing with me or have you simply been trolling this entire time?


Originally Posted by veganbikes
A dainty plastic hat? What is this dainty plastic hat?
Wow, you are a lot less intelligent than I thought.

Originally Posted by veganbikes
A helmet is different, usually will have a plastic shell covering foam designed specifically for impacts it is not dainty having hit them with sledgehammers they can be quite resilient taking a few good hits before they are quite damaged. They are also designed for impacts specifically and rigorously tested especially those from quality manufacturers but for some reason that eludes you.
As a matter of fact, bicycle helmet testing standards are a huge part of the problem. But you didn't know that either, because you are basically a troll, and completely without knowledge on the topic at-hand.

https://www.bicycling.com/news/a2193...elmet-ratings/
https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...-flaws-n886691
https://www.forbes.com/sites/carlton...h=1e2ab851cbd4
https://www.imperial.ac.uk/news/2211...accounts-head/
https://www.evo.com/guides/virginia-tech-helmet-ratings

And the market is full of untested helmets, as well.

https://www.consumerreports.org/bike...ely-available/

Have you ever even read one single article on the topic of bicycle helmets? It is difficult for me to imagine how clueless you are on this topic, while still seemingly being interested in it.

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Wait you won't respond to me anymore, oh no. You have no real arguments or data to back up your opinion so I can understand repeating plastic over and over is getting hard for you. I mean I would give up if I had no real argument. If you want to give up go for it I won't be sad and if you want to continue go for it.
Be careful what you wish for. I can go on illustrating your incompetence on this topic for literally days, and you might wind up permanently scarred like shelbyfv.
TC1 is offline  
Old 04-15-24, 08:43 PM
  #3860  
TC1
Full Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2023
Location: Illinois
Posts: 478
Liked 129 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Sorry, I'm smarter than you and I'm not the one posting unhinged on the internet.
Newsflash, you are on the internet too, and your alleged smarts were unable to comprehend a thread which is relatively simple so far. It doesn't even appear that you understand the meaning of the word "fact", in fact, which is rather embarrassing for you.

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
The others don't need help from me, they've whacked you down sufficiently. I'm just here for the entertainment.
When did that happen, exactly? I'm still waiting for the first person to even attempt to explain why bicycle helmets exhibit the precise statistical signature of a placebo.

Did you want to give that a try smarty, or do you plan to stick with wasting everyone's time on nonsense?
TC1 is offline  
Old 04-15-24, 08:49 PM
  #3861  
TC1
Full Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2023
Location: Illinois
Posts: 478
Liked 129 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
So asphalt is significantly softer than rocks now? You never answered that you keep harping on the everything.
Wow, you are really not smart.

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Everything out there is harder than your head.
That was your statement. I was forced to educate you by listing many of the items "out there" which are not harder than your head.

Originally Posted by veganbikes
I was making a joke about brakes and lights you took it as something truly serious.
Ah, the infamous "I got caught making a completely stupid remark, so I will pretend it was a joke" defense. That's novel.

Originally Posted by veganbikes
You haven't linked to anything from the NHTSA, if it is so easy to find and that is now what you are using to back up your poor argument you can link to it.
I will make you a deal -- if I do your homework for you, and prove this, will you be an honest person -- for the first time -- and admit that you are wrong?
TC1 is offline  
Old 04-15-24, 09:51 PM
  #3862  
old newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 996

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Liked 452 Times in 228 Posts
This is getting absurd. I’m out!
pepperbelly is offline  
Likes For pepperbelly:
Old 04-16-24, 06:08 AM
  #3863  
Expired Member
 
shelbyfv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: TN
Posts: 12,235
Liked 6,133 Times in 3,094 Posts
Originally Posted by TC1
It doesn't even appear that you understand the meaning of the word "fact", in fact, which is rather embarrassing for you.

It's a fact that people can go off a bike and be hurt w/o being dead. Obvious to most if not to you.

Originally Posted by pepperbelly
This is getting absurd. I’m out!
Absurd can be fun! Come back tomorrow after 5 o'clock somewhere.
shelbyfv is offline  
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 04-16-24, 08:53 AM
  #3864  
Clark W. Griswold
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: ,location, location
Posts: 14,238

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Liked 4,340 Times in 2,898 Posts
Originally Posted by TC1
Wow, you are really not smart.



That was your statement. I was forced to educate you by listing many of the items "out there" which are not harder than your head.



Ah, the infamous "I got caught making a completely stupid remark, so I will pretend it was a joke" defense. That's novel.



I will make you a deal -- if I do your homework for you, and prove this, will you be an honest person -- for the first time -- and admit that you are wrong?
Originally Posted by TC1
You said you don't drink coffee. Consider starting, or trying something to assist with your reading comprehension skills, which are grade-school level. The point is that the perceived danger of cycling is what stops many from riding.



You obviously didn't read it, nor were you familiar with the source. Again, the point is that the perceived danger of cycling is what stops many from riding. Try to keep up.



You are confusing yourself. You questioned why helmets still exist, if they do not keep people safe. I explained that many products which do not keep people safe remain on sale. Now you are claiming that "science and knowledge has moved on" -- which means you are now agreeing with me, and realize that the outdated belief in bicycle helmet efficiency should have disappeared by now, and so it's legitimate to wonder why they are even still available to purchase. Are you now agreeing with me or have you simply been trolling this entire time?




Wow, you are a lot less intelligent than I thought.



As a matter of fact, bicycle helmet testing standards are a huge part of the problem. But you didn't know that either, because you are basically a troll, and completely without knowledge on the topic at-hand.

https://www.bicycling.com/news/a2193...elmet-ratings/
https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...-flaws-n886691
https://www.forbes.com/sites/carlton...h=1e2ab851cbd4
https://www.imperial.ac.uk/news/2211...accounts-head/
https://www.evo.com/guides/virginia-tech-helmet-ratings

And the market is full of untested helmets, as well.

https://www.consumerreports.org/bike...ely-available/

Have you ever even read one single article on the topic of bicycle helmets? It is difficult for me to imagine how clueless you are on this topic, while still seemingly being interested in it.



Be careful what you wish for. I can go on illustrating your incompetence on this topic for literally days, and you might wind up permanently scarred like shelbyfv.
Ah yes personal attacks the last bastion of the person who has nothing left. Coffee and reading comprehension are your arguments against helmets now? Please do your homework. It isn't mine, I am not trying to prove to anyone that helmets are unsafe in fact nobody in this conversation is trying to prove helmets are unsafe but you, you are it the only one clinging to that notion.

So we should be unsafe because of this "perceived danger"? Sounds like a good solid argument. Let's actually be unsafe to prove that their is a "perceived danger". I know you think not wearing a helmet is some how magically going change people's perception but sadly that is not the case. If we work on changing people's driving habits and try and prevent distracted driving and driving while intoxicated that will help but not wearing helmets is just your own personal vanity. Don't want to get that dreaded "helmet hair" I read that article and again not once was mentioned helmets beyond helmet hair and the first part of it alluded to Buzzfeed. You can say the source is the best but when it has to go to Buzzfeed for data that is NOT a peer reviewed study.

No I am not agreeing with you I am saying science and medicine have moved on from believing tobacco is good for you not that they are saying helmets are unsafe. Again nobody aside from you here is saying helmets are unsafe and the few internet crackpots trying to claim they are unsafe really don't have much.

I am still awaiting those peer reviewed studies? Right now you have helmets are being tested articles or the testing needs to improve but that is not really a great treatise against helmets. It is saying that things need to be updated testing wise and that VA Tech is doing some better testing and many manufacturers do their own separate testing so they can exceed CSPC. Also saying because someone is wearing a helmet and potentially getting passed at a closer distance in a car is not a reason to not wear helmets that is beyond stupid victim blaming. It is the same thing as if she didn't want to get violated she shouldn't have worn that dress...It is poor logic and doesn't make anyone safer.

in terms of online giants known for selling fakes and knockoffs and cheap products selling un-rated helmets, again not a treatise against helmets but a we should go after these mega corporations for selling unsafe products especially without any warning. We should stop wearing helmets because some billionaires sell bad ones? That sounds rather silly and could be applied in a lot of situations that would sound equally silly. We should stop posting in online forums because some of them are terrible. We should stop looking at email because some of it is spam. We should stop breathing air because some of it is polluted. We should stop drinking water because sometimes it can drown you. I can go on and be more silly but I think the point is made.

You have no real good data none of your articles really say don't wear a helmet and you have yet to show any of these peer reviewed studies you claim exist in droves. I would think in the many posts you have made talking about them you would have found them by now they are super easy to find you said but you can't even find them! Heck you couldn't even use the better article on Bicycling for your point against helmets, it was a link at the bottom of the article you posted.
Do You Always Need to Wear a Helmet to Ride a Bike? HELMETS CAN PROTECT AGAINST SPECIFIC HEAD INJURIES, BUT THEY’RE NO SUBSTITUTE FOR SAFER STREETS AND MORE MINDFUL DRIVERS.
It's OK though you still have loads of personal attacks, you can use those and continue to circle drain for a little while longer.
veganbikes is offline  
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 04-16-24, 10:06 AM
  #3865  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 6,330

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Liked 8,024 Times in 3,192 Posts
Originally Posted by pepperbelly
This is getting absurd.
With one more faulty leap of logic or fabricated datum, this thread can attain full absurdity !!!
tomato coupe is offline  
Old 04-16-24, 11:05 AM
  #3866  
Senior Member
 
79pmooney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 13,104

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Liked 4,134 Times in 2,665 Posts
Originally Posted by TC1
No, I never said anything like 'Unhelmeted cyclists are invincible'. I specifically said that luck plays a large part in sustaining head injuries. In your case, in all likelihood, your helmet made no difference whatsoever and you would have been injured with or without it. And we know this because even helmet manufacturers state that their bicycle helmets are not designed to prevent the sort of injury you received.

As an aside, for the folks here who are suffering from confirmation bias, your story is precisely an example of that phenomenon. You want to believe that it was your foresight and intelligence in wearing a helmet that day which saved your life. I get that -- everyone wants to believe that they are in control, and no one wants to believe that they just got lucky. So everyone wants to believe that, as long as they wear their dainty little plastic hat, they will be safe. And I get that too, feeling safe is nice. But feeling safe is not being safe, and it is important to recognize the difference.

To the point, an equally-valid interpretation of your story is that your helmet did a very poor job of protecting your brain, and you wound up in a coma despite wearing your hat.
It wasn't my foresight and intelligence. I bought that early Bell simply because I'd ridden a first season of club racing wearing the required leather hairnet. (Peloton joke i heard many times - we wore those so we could have open casket funerals.) Vowed to myself if I raced another season, I'd by that goofy Bell. Next March, I decided to race and bought it, wearing always so I'd be totally used to it come July and the high 90sF. That November I was wearing it simply because it was like putting on my shorts.

That crash was from my fork breaking at the crown, no warning at close to 30 mph coming off a routine bunny hop. I never got my hands off the bars. I'm no gymnast. It was a head hit, then shoulder.

"In your case, in all likelihood, your helmet made no difference whatsoever and you would have been injured with or without it." Umm, yes. Injured to the life of a vegetable or dead without it. Unless you are much smarter than the best at Massachusetts General Hospital's ICU where they had one of the early CAT scanners. The hit was a couple of inches above the corner of my eye. Broken skull there just might be traumatic, maybe? True, I probably don't have the thick skull you do.

Edit: The CAT scan showed just a small blood clot on my hypothalamus and a bruise on the base of my motor nerves. 5 days later, next scan showed those healing well. The consequences to me were the big deceleration my brain took (and rebound as that was the early firm polystyrene(?) foam). Skull was fully intact. That hit was exactly what those helmets were designed to deal with. I lived and I'm here. I would challenge you to do the same crash without helmet and report back but my faith won't allow me.

Last edited by 79pmooney; 04-16-24 at 11:17 AM.
79pmooney is offline  
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 04-16-24, 11:07 AM
  #3867  
Habitual User
 
Eric F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Altadena, CA
Posts: 8,506

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Liked 8,751 Times in 4,120 Posts
From the Forbes article...“The materials that are used in most of today’s helmets are engineered to absorb the high impact energies that can produce skull fractures and severe brain injuries”.

Impact energy absorption is what I've been talking about, and the fact that it's happening is evidenced by the resulting crushed EPS foam. That means 100% of the impact energy was not transmitted directly to my/your head. That's a good thing. This is simple stuff.

If someone is going to hit you on the head with a 2x4, and you have a choice between wearing a bicycle helmet or nothing, which do you choose?

It truly baffles me that someone can talk themselves into the conclusion that bike helmets are useless...harmful, even.
__________________
"Swedish fish. They're protein shaped." - livedarklions
Eric F is online now  
Likes For Eric F:
Old 04-16-24, 11:42 AM
  #3868  
Expired Member
 
shelbyfv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: TN
Posts: 12,235
Liked 6,133 Times in 3,094 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
It truly baffles me that someone can talk themselves into the conclusion that bike helmets are useless...harmful, even.
Yep that's why the thread is hidden away in A&S. Not really a lot to say unless some troll wants to stir stuff up. Now where is the flat earth sticky...?
shelbyfv is offline  
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 04-16-24, 04:13 PM
  #3869  
Clark W. Griswold
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: ,location, location
Posts: 14,238

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Liked 4,340 Times in 2,898 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
From the Forbes article...“The materials that are used in most of today’s helmets are engineered to absorb the high impact energies that can produce skull fractures and severe brain injuries”.

Impact energy absorption is what I've been talking about, and the fact that it's happening is evidenced by the resulting crushed EPS foam. That means 100% of the impact energy was not transmitted directly to my/your head. That's a good thing. This is simple stuff.

If someone is going to hit you on the head with a 2x4, and you have a choice between wearing a bicycle helmet or nothing, which do you choose?

It truly baffles me that someone can talk themselves into the conclusion that bike helmets are useless...harmful, even.
It is crazy and they couldn't really back up their opinion either. It is one thing to hold an opinion and back it up but to hold an opinion so strongly and claim the evidence exists and then not provide any of it Is ridiculous. I mean to post an article in the helmet thread trying to say helmets are bad where the only mention of helmets at all was "helmet hair" and that is the strong argument against helmets just really iced that already glazed cake.

Heck I understand not wanting to wear a helmet they can be big and bulky and aren't really a sexy look and could certainly be hotter in the summer and all of that sort of stuff but to say it is unsafe and harmful just blows the mind completely.

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Yep that's why the thread is hidden away in A&S. Not really a lot to say unless some troll wants to stir stuff up. Now where is the flat earth sticky...?
Well I mean everyone knows the earth is flat that is a universal truth that everyone holds. What next are they going to say that JFK wasn't shot by Elvis using a secret laser ray developed by Bob Hope and Lena Horne? What crazy times we live in,,,LOL
veganbikes is offline  
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 04-16-24, 04:27 PM
  #3870  
Habitual User
 
Eric F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Altadena, CA
Posts: 8,506

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Liked 8,751 Times in 4,120 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Heck I understand not wanting to wear a helmet they can be big and bulky and aren't really a sexy look and could certainly be hotter in the summer and all of that sort of stuff but to say it is unsafe and harmful just blows the mind completely.
Among the people/groups I tend to ride with, not wearing a helmet would look more odd than wearing one, but those folks all tend to be experienced and skilled riders who understand the simple factors of why wearing a helmet is a good choice.
__________________
"Swedish fish. They're protein shaped." - livedarklions
Eric F is online now  
Likes For Eric F:
Old 04-16-24, 04:42 PM
  #3871  
Clark W. Griswold
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: ,location, location
Posts: 14,238

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Liked 4,340 Times in 2,898 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
Among the people/groups I tend to ride with, not wearing a helmet would look more odd than wearing one, but those folks all tend to be experienced and skilled riders who understand the simple factors of why wearing a helmet is a good choice.
Our new shop will have a policy of wearing helmets at all events we are a part of. There is no ifs ands or buts in this situation. There is just no point to not wear one unless you are riding on soft fluffy clouds in dreamland and your bike is made of air (but plenty stiff). I have a brain and it ain't perfect but unfortunately I won't be able to get another one and really don't want to have to do that ever. It would be miserable to have any brain damage especially as a result of cycling. I love eating vegetables but I don't want to become one unless it were a cartoonish version and I was a crime fighting habanero pepper with garlic bulbs for fists...HAHAHA
veganbikes is offline  
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 04-16-24, 05:14 PM
  #3872  
Expired Member
 
shelbyfv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: TN
Posts: 12,235
Liked 6,133 Times in 3,094 Posts
All of our local club and shop rides require helmets. Might be an insurance thing. I rarely see an adult w/o a helmet other than DUI types riding Salmon against traffic or on the sidewalk.
shelbyfv is offline  
Old 04-16-24, 05:38 PM
  #3873  
TC1
Full Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2023
Location: Illinois
Posts: 478
Liked 129 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
It's a fact that people can go off a bike and be hurt w/o being dead. Obvious to most if not to you.
As I already explained at least once, very few -- potentially no -- studies have been able to accurately study cycling injury rates, for very well-known ethical reasons.

Even countries that take their cycling very seriously struggle massively to accurately count cycling injuries. So attempting to analyze cycling safety using such numbers, that necessarily have huge error bars, is essentially pointless. This is why, for example, the previously-referenced studies estimate large improvements in cyclist fatality rates could be caused by helmet usage, while our actual real-world statistics have never shown even the slightest such improvement. When you attempt to study a problem using junk data -- which virtually all cycling injury data is, unfortunately -- your results are going to be garbage, due to GIGO.

While not ideal, that means that any accurate safety analysis must be done using fatality statistics -- which are vastly easier to compile accurately.
TC1 is offline  
Old 04-16-24, 05:55 PM
  #3874  
TC1
Full Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2023
Location: Illinois
Posts: 478
Liked 129 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Ah yes personal attacks the last bastion of the person who has nothing left. Coffee and reading comprehension are your arguments against helmets now?
Well, you've demonstrated a critical need for improved reading comprehension about a dozen times now -- I was being charitable and hoping your problem was a lack of coffee. Turns out, it may be a lack of ability to understand, which you continually demonstrate as well.

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Please do your homework. It isn't mine, I am not trying to prove to anyone that helmets are unsafe in fact nobody in this conversation is trying to prove helmets are unsafe but you, you are it the only one clinging to that notion.
68% of American cyclists do not wear helmets. I am far from the only person who is aware that they do not work -- I'm just one of extremely few willing to attempt to educate persons like yourself.

Originally Posted by veganbikes
So we should be unsafe because of this "perceived danger"?
Again with the lack of comprehension. You are no less safe with the wind in your hair versus wearing a bicycle helmet.

Originally Posted by veganbikes
You can say the source is the best but when it has to go to Buzzfeed for data that is NOT a peer reviewed study.
It is amusing that you are so completely uninformed that you think peer review has value.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...l-hoax/572212/
https://www.insidehighered.com/news/...s-and-scholars
https://www.forbes.com/sites/geoffre...h=450ccbd5463e
https://www.vox.com/future-perfect/2...iew-statistics
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8877864/

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Again nobody aside from you here is saying helmets are unsafe and the few internet crackpots trying to claim they are unsafe really don't have much.
68% of American cyclists do not wear helmets. You hold the minority opinion.

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Right now you have helmets are being tested articles or the testing needs to improve but that is not really a great treatise against helmets.
It is a great argument to illustrate that you are completely clueless on this topic -- since you were just preaching about manufacturers rigorously testing their helmets. That is precisely not the case, which is why Virginia Tech University has had to step into the breach and develop a test program.

And you had absolutely zero clue about that, until I educated you. As with the remainder of this entire topic.

Originally Posted by veganbikes
You have no real good data none of your articles really say don't wear a helmet and you have yet to show any of these peer reviewed studies you claim exist in droves.
So are you willing to accept my challenge, or not? If I provide the statistics that I previously referenced, will you be an honest person and admit that you have been wrong?
TC1 is offline  
Old 04-16-24, 06:19 PM
  #3875  
TC1
Full Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2023
Location: Illinois
Posts: 478
Liked 129 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
"In your case, in all likelihood, your helmet made no difference whatsoever and you would have been injured with or without it." Umm, yes. Injured to the life of a vegetable or dead without it. Unless you are much smarter than the best at Massachusetts General Hospital's ICU where they had one of the early CAT scanners. The hit was a couple of inches above the corner of my eye. Broken skull there just might be traumatic, maybe? True, I probably don't have the thick skull you do.
So is it your contention that no one has ever survived an OTB at 30 mph sans helmet, without at least vegetization? That's the necessary conclusion from your claim, and it is incorrect. Unhelmeted motorcycle riders survive crashes like that frequently, as have bicycle riders.

Doctors at Mass General, and everywhere else, are not trained in accident reconstruction, and even if they had been, they likely would not have had the necessary evidence to make that judgement. Among other things, they would need to know the angle and speed at which your head contacted whatever it hit -- because as previously-explained, the increased effective size of your helmeted head changes the impact situation substantially.

Did anyone get your crash on video?

All that said, I worked with some of the finest physicians in their fields at the University of Chicago, and while they are very good at their specialty, they were almost universally useless at anything else. One industry-wide example of this is the persistence of hand-written medical charts -- which cost many lives unnecessarily.

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
That hit was exactly what those helmets were designed to deal with.
Why did professional cycle racing see an increase in fatalities when helmets became mandatory?

And, more to this specific point, why can no statistical evidence to support your claim be found? Why do helmeted cyclists still die at precisely the same rate which bare-headed ones do?

Last edited by TC1; 04-16-24 at 06:57 PM. Reason: cleanup spurrious quote
TC1 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.