Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

User Tag List

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-05-05, 06:20 AM   #1
KevinF
Keep on climbing
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Marlborough, Massachusetts
Bikes: 2004 Calfee Tetra Pro
Posts: 2,178
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Installing Campy bottom brackets

I'm about to install a Chorus bottom bracket into an aluminum frame. There seems to be some discrepancy about whether or not to apply any lubricants to the thread:

Campagnolo's own service manual (http://www.campagnolo.com/pdf/722521...om_bracket.pdf) recommends tightening to 70Nm (apparently dry) or 30Nm with locktite.
The Park Tool web-site (http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQcartdg.shtml) suggests using anti-seize for installation into an aluminum frame (which this is).

What is the recommendation of the mechanics here? It somehow seems scary to tighten something to 70Nm without any lubrication on the threads. If I lock-tite the thing in place, will it ever come out again? What's the difference between anti-seize and grease anyway?
KevinF is offline  
Old 05-05-05, 06:34 AM   #2
biker7
Senior Member
 
biker7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 2,850
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
the difference between anti-seize and grease is level of lubricity...anti-seize paste is less slippery and what you want for this application. Some will tell you that grease is fine and it will work as well. I would not loctite it...and would only use #242 if you had an Italian thread but you won't need it if the drive side is a reverse English thread and torqued properly to spec.
George
biker7 is offline  
Old 05-05-05, 06:50 AM   #3
sydney
Senior Member
 
sydney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 9,428
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinF
I'm about to install a Chorus bottom bracket into an aluminum frame. There seems to be some discrepancy about whether or not to apply any lubricants to the thread:

Campagnolo's own service manual (http://www.campagnolo.com/pdf/722521...om_bracket.pdf) recommends tightening to 70Nm (apparently dry) or 30Nm with locktite.
The Park Tool web-site (http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQcartdg.shtml) suggests using anti-seize for installation into an aluminum frame (which this is).

What is the recommendation of the mechanics here? It somehow seems scary to tighten something to 70Nm without any lubrication on the threads. If I lock-tite the thing in place, will it ever come out again? What's the difference between anti-seize and grease anyway?
Don't over anlayze it. Use grease or anti-seize(also a lube) and tighten properly. You don't even need loctite on Italian threads as the OP suggest if properly tightened.
sydney is offline  
Old 05-05-05, 06:57 AM   #4
biker7
Senior Member
 
biker7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 2,850
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sydney
Don't over anlayze it.
You will never have that problem syd...it takes basic thought.
George
biker7 is offline  
Old 05-05-05, 02:49 PM   #5
LV2TNDM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Northern CA
Bikes: Cannondale tandems: '92 Road, '97 Mtn. Mongoose 10.9 Ti, Kelly Deluxe, Tommaso Chorus, Cdale MT2000, Schwinn Deluxe Cruiser, Torker Unicycle, among others.
Posts: 220
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sydney
Don't over anlayze it. Use grease or anti-seize(also a lube) and tighten properly. You don't even need loctite on Italian threads as the OP suggest if properly tightened.
Actually, it's Italian threads that could benefit most from a thread-locking compound; they are far more prone to loosening, as the right side cup is not left-hand thread. So a thread locking compound could be in order. However, #242 (blue) would be the way to go. Red Loctite requires heating to something like 475 degrees to loosen, which would fry paint and melt powder coating.
But, that being said, grease almost always is the preferred material, as it's good at displacing water and preventing rust in a very vulnerable spot. The key is proper torque on the cup to keep it in place!
While you've got the BB apart, have the threads chased and the shell edges faced to insure the best fit and long bearing life.
LV2TNDM is offline  
Old 05-05-05, 03:04 PM   #6
sydney
Senior Member
 
sydney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 9,428
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LV2TNDM
Actually, it's Italian threads that could benefit most from a thread-locking compound; they are far more prone to loosening, as the right side cup is not left-hand thread. So a thread locking compound could be in order. However, #242 (blue) would be the way to go. Red Loctite requires heating to something like 475 degrees to loosen, which would fry paint and melt powder coating.
But, that being said, grease almost always is the preferred material, as it's good at displacing water and preventing rust in a very vulnerable spot. The key is proper torque on the cup to keep it in place!
correctomento ! I currently have 10 Italian threaded rides in use and not a one of them has loctite and no self loosening. Had the issue once a long time ago , then I learned to properly tighten them.
sydney is offline  
Old 05-05-05, 08:20 PM   #7
KevinF
Keep on climbing
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Marlborough, Massachusetts
Bikes: 2004 Calfee Tetra Pro
Posts: 2,178
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Thanks for all the advice. My BB is English-threaded, so I'm going to stay away from the lock-tite. I'll find some anti-seize and start torqueing. Thanks for the advice
KevinF is offline  
Old 11-08-17, 12:31 PM   #8
Yoyo2012
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Bikes:
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sydney View Post
correctomento ! I currently have 10 Italian threaded rides in use and not a one of them has loctite and no self loosening. Had the issue once a long time ago , then I learned to properly tighten them.
hi. If you would like to share the experience how to tighten the fixed cup (right side cup)properly? Thanks. Mine is also Italian threaded. I just tightened it using the most hand torque I can apply. I felt it could not turn anymore, but not sure if the work has been properly done. I hope it won't loose half way on my riding.
Yoyo2012 is offline  
Old 11-08-17, 02:11 PM   #9
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Bikes: 8
Posts: 29,215
Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3225 Post(s)
https://www.campagnolo.com/WW/en/Sup...#documentation may be a better link than the OP offered .
fietsbob is offline  
Old 11-08-17, 06:42 PM   #10
Dan Burkhart 
Senior member
 
Dan Burkhart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Oakville Ontario
Bikes:
Posts: 6,575
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoyo2012 View Post
hi. If you would like to share the experience how to tighten the fixed cup (right side cup)properly? Thanks. Mine is also Italian threaded. I just tightened it using the most hand torque I can apply. I felt it could not turn anymore, but not sure if the work has been properly done. I hope it won't loose half way on my riding.
You just resurrected a twelve year old thread and quoted a member who has since passed.
Dan Burkhart is offline  
Old 11-09-17, 11:10 AM   #11
Homebrew01
Super Moderator
 
Homebrew01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ffld Cnty Connecticut
Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales
Posts: 20,438
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoyo2012 View Post
hi. If you would like to share the experience how to tighten the fixed cup (right side cup)properly? Thanks. Mine is also Italian threaded. I just tightened it using the most hand torque I can apply. I felt it could not turn anymore, but not sure if the work has been properly done. I hope it won't loose half way on my riding.
If you have further questions, please start a new thread.
__________________
Bikes: Old steel race bikes, old Cannondale race bikes, less old Cannondale race bike, crappy old mtn bike.

FYI: http://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Homebrew01 is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:27 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    get answers from real people!
Click to start entering your question.
I HAVE A QUESTION