Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Cimarron questions

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Cimarron questions

Old 03-29-15, 04:40 PM
  #1  
scale
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,519
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Cimarron questions

I just picked up a frameset today from what appears to be an 88 or 89. I think i want to build this up into a touring rig.

1. I am wondering what the plastic cable guide from under the BB looks like? I need to get a replacement...along with the screw. Can anyone provide a picture of what the original looks like?
2. Wheels? What are my options? I know it came with Araya RM-25s i think. I am not holding out much hope of finding a nice set of those. Can anyone recommend a decent wheelset? I likely cant go 700c or my brake bosses wont line up with the rim (and probably other issues, although i have seen it done).
3. BB Spindle length? It doesnt have the BB. I probably have a shimano cartridge style sealed bb that would fit but im lost when it comes to what the original spindle length would be. The bb shell measures 68mm.


Ill leave it at those 3 questions for now. That should get me started on my hunt/build.

Thanks!
scale is offline  
Old 03-29-15, 06:00 PM
  #2  
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc
 
LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Valley of the Sun.
Posts: 40,007

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9392 Post(s)
Liked 4,286 Times in 2,276 Posts
1. Dunno.
2. Shimano M590 Rhyno Lite Wheelset | rim brake only | silver
You might be able to do 700c if you want to. Mainly depends on the brake bridge. Just need to get some long reach calipers.

3. BB spindle length depends on the cranks you put on it.

Here's a pic of 700c wheel on my ParkPre 26er:



Went with dual pivot up front. Drilled out the back hole on the fork to get recessed nut to fit.


Last edited by LesterOfPuppets; 03-29-15 at 06:04 PM.
LesterOfPuppets is offline  
Old 03-29-15, 06:08 PM
  #3  
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude
 
The Golden Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Waukesha WI
Posts: 13,150

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2419 Post(s)
Liked 1,119 Times in 660 Posts
I'm sure @bconneraz has some good answers for you.

1. ??
2. I think you're squarely in 26" wheel world. There's a world of possibilities in tires and hubs and wheels and everything.
3. Spindle length is going to be dependent on what crankset you choose.
__________________
*Recipient of the 2006 Time Magazine "Person Of The Year" Award*

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
The Golden Boy is offline  
Old 03-29-15, 06:12 PM
  #4  
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc
 
LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Valley of the Sun.
Posts: 40,007

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9392 Post(s)
Liked 4,286 Times in 2,276 Posts
Should be able to setup most standard dual-cable under BB guides on there.

I'd be tempted to splurge on a Campagnolo one, just because.

Niagara Cycle - Search Results for "cable guide"
LesterOfPuppets is offline  
Old 03-29-15, 06:35 PM
  #5  
scale
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,519
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Thanks for the replies. That wheelset looks interesting. Good reviews and good price. I dont know what crankset ill be using yet but it will likely be something older. IM still hunting there as well. I enjoy the build/hunt as much as riding and i cant wait to get this classic back on the trails.
scale is offline  
Old 03-29-15, 06:40 PM
  #6  
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc
 
LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Valley of the Sun.
Posts: 40,007

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9392 Post(s)
Liked 4,286 Times in 2,276 Posts
One thing about the wheels, the Cimarron might have 130mm rear spacing and those are 135. Not that big of a deal to spread the rear triangle, though.
LesterOfPuppets is offline  
Old 03-29-15, 06:55 PM
  #7  
wrk101
Thrifty Bill
 
wrk101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mountains of Western NC
Posts: 23,268

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1144 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 485 Posts
Spindle length has nothing to do with the model, its all about the crankset you use.
wrk101 is offline  
Old 03-29-15, 09:06 PM
  #8  
bconneraz
Senior Member
 
bconneraz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: So Cal
Posts: 707

Bikes: Cimarrons 1835, 0836, 1767, 3517, 0768, 3408, a LHT, and a couple others

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
in 85 and 86, there were brazed guides on the BB. This is a guide from an 87

The 88 and 89 shared the same cable guide; This is an 88 which has the u-brake under the chainstays

And here is an 89 which has bottle braze-on's located on the bottom of the down tube


Nothing special about them; a replacement should be easy to source. Keep us posted on your progress, and buy all means, shoot some pics over here
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vi...-cimarron.html
bconneraz is offline  
Old 03-29-15, 09:12 PM
  #9  
bconneraz
Senior Member
 
bconneraz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: So Cal
Posts: 707

Bikes: Cimarrons 1835, 0836, 1767, 3517, 0768, 3408, a LHT, and a couple others

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by scale View Post
I just picked up a frameset today from what appears to be an 88 or 89. I think i want to build this up into a touring rig.

1. I am wondering what the plastic cable guide from under the BB looks like? I need to get a replacement...along with the screw. Can anyone provide a picture of what the original looks like?
2. Wheels? What are my options? I know it came with Araya RM-25s i think. I am not holding out much hope of finding a nice set of those. Can anyone recommend a decent wheelset? I likely cant go 700c or my brake bosses wont line up with the rim (and probably other issues, although i have seen it done).
3. BB Spindle length? It doesnt have the BB. I probably have a shimano cartridge style sealed bb that would fit but im lost when it comes to what the original spindle length would be. The bb shell measures 68mm.


Ill leave it at those 3 questions for now. That should get me started on my hunt/build.

Thanks!
What's the 4 digit code on your headbadge?
bconneraz is offline  
Old 03-29-15, 11:06 PM
  #10  
Metacortex
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,371

Bikes: Fillet-brazed Schwinns

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by scale View Post
I just picked up a frameset today from what appears to be an 88 or 89.
Originally Posted by bconneraz View Post
What's the 4 digit code on your headbadge?
And the serial number on the underside of the bottom bracket shell?

Last edited by Metacortex; 03-29-15 at 11:11 PM.
Metacortex is offline  
Old 03-30-15, 05:48 AM
  #11  
scale
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,519
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Thanks! So there is no screw holding that cable guide in? Is it nylon? I know the hole itself is threaded. I guess it would be nice to use threaded screw. The 4 digit code from the head badge is 3408. No u-brake on this frame at all.

Can anyone confirm the rear spacing? I measure mine and i get 132mm?......so im right in between 130 and 135. I figure i could fit either size.

Last edited by scale; 03-30-15 at 05:51 AM.
scale is offline  
Old 03-30-15, 08:58 AM
  #12  
bconneraz
Senior Member
 
bconneraz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: So Cal
Posts: 707

Bikes: Cimarrons 1835, 0836, 1767, 3517, 0768, 3408, a LHT, and a couple others

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by scale View Post
Thanks! So there is no screw holding that cable guide in? Is it nylon? I know the hole itself is threaded. I guess it would be nice to use threaded screw. The 4 digit code from the head badge is 3408. No u-brake on this frame at all.

Can anyone confirm the rear spacing? I measure mine and i get 132mm?......so im right in between 130 and 135. I figure i could fit either size.
There is no screw, and there is no reason to use one because the nub on the backside of the guide goes into the hole in your bb, and your cables hold everything in place. Crazy that you have a badge with 3408- can you post some pics? I have an 89 with the same birthdate. Thats pretty cool.

I wouldn't get too hung up on the spacing- I run a modern 135mm spaced MTB hub with a 9 speed cassette. works perfectly.
bconneraz is offline  
Old 03-30-15, 12:07 PM
  #13  
nfmisso
Nigel
 
nfmisso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 2,991

Bikes: 1980s and 1990s steel: CyclePro, Nishiki, Schwinn, SR, Trek........

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Regarding wheels: are going to use post mounted brakes (U,V, canti)? If yes, then the current post limit you to 559 wheels of almost any flavor. If you want, you can change to 584 (650b) or 590 (650a) by using ELEVN technologies || BMX Brake Adaptor (see: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage/966500-canti-650a-650b-conversion.html).

If you the bike did not have a U-brake, then you MIGHT be able to go to 622 (700c) with the ELEVN part and Tektro CR720 brakes.

If you are going to switch to single screw mount brakes, as @LesterOfPuppets did on the bike in the pictures he posted, and 622 wheel will fit fine, as long as you don't go crazy on the width, or want fenders. A 584 or 590 will work with similar long reach brakes (Tektro R559) and fenders.

My plans for my '85 Cimarron are 28/32-590 front tire, 37-590 rear, with fenders, Elevn adapters (already have them installed) and Tektro CR720 brakes.
nfmisso is offline  
Old 03-30-15, 05:15 PM
  #14  
scale
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,519
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bconneraz View Post
There is no screw, and there is no reason to use one because the nub on the backside of the guide goes into the hole in your bb, and your cables hold everything in place. Crazy that you have a badge with 3408- can you post some pics? I have an 89 with the same birthdate. Thats pretty cool.

I wouldn't get too hung up on the spacing- I run a modern 135mm spaced MTB hub with a 9 speed cassette. works perfectly.
So the headbadge stamp is the born on date? and yours is the same??! That is crazy.

IM not sure how i plan to build it up but the more i look around and ask the more excited i get. This is going to be a fun project. It is in great shape for its age if you ask me. I dont just want to cobble it together but im pretty sure i dont want to take the restore approach either. (although i love your restores...they are amazing).

That 590 wheelset above looks quite tempting at that price. It seems everyone is shying away from 26 inch wheels these days in favor of the newer size standards. That might leave me with some good deals to be had on a 26 inch wheelset. The possibilities are endless it seems.

Ill try and get a few pictures of what i have here when i get a chance. Thanks for all the replies and suggestions.
scale is offline  
Old 03-30-15, 07:17 PM
  #15  
bconneraz
Senior Member
 
bconneraz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: So Cal
Posts: 707

Bikes: Cimarrons 1835, 0836, 1767, 3517, 0768, 3408, a LHT, and a couple others

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by scale View Post
So the headbadge stamp is the born on date? and yours is the same??! That is crazy.

IM not sure how i plan to build it up but the more i look around and ask the more excited i get. This is going to be a fun project. It is in great shape for its age if you ask me. I dont just want to cobble it together but im pretty sure i dont want to take the restore approach either. (although i love your restores...they are amazing).

That 590 wheelset above looks quite tempting at that price. It seems everyone is shying away from 26 inch wheels these days in favor of the newer size standards. That might leave me with some good deals to be had on a 26 inch wheelset. The possibilities are endless it seems.

Ill try and get a few pictures of what i have here when i get a chance. Thanks for all the replies and suggestions.
There's no reason to shy away from a 26" wheel. I put over 5k on my Cimarron last year commuting; 48 miles round trip, with approx 2100 feet of climbing, and I had no issues as a result of wheel size. Thanks for the kind words about my bikes; no restorations here; with the exception of my 87 which I built up with modernish parts, all my bikes are original. we shall wait patiently for some pics.....
bconneraz is offline  
Old 03-31-15, 07:05 AM
  #16  
scale
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,519
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
im curious to know what the rear brake hanger looks like as well as the seatpost binder. I think the original was quick release with one of those free hanging cable guides. something like this: Small Parts | Parts and Accessories | Surly Bikes
scale is offline  
Old 03-31-15, 08:40 AM
  #17  
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc
 
LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Valley of the Sun.
Posts: 40,007

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9392 Post(s)
Liked 4,286 Times in 2,276 Posts
I'd stick with 26 also. Probably not 590 though, since there are only 5-10 590 tire choices available.

I went 700c on the ParkPre because one brake post has part of a brake stuck to it. Tried a good soak with Kroil but it's on there good, needs torching.

Last edited by LesterOfPuppets; 03-31-15 at 11:49 AM.
LesterOfPuppets is offline  
Old 03-31-15, 09:13 AM
  #18  
wrk101
Thrifty Bill
 
wrk101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mountains of Western NC
Posts: 23,268

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1144 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 485 Posts
I like to call QR seat post clamps Quick Steal. Try riding your bike home when some creep steals your saddle and post while you are eating lunch.....

On keepers I usually replace them with Allen key style bolts. On wheels, my favorite size is the mtb 26 inch. Tire choices are plentiful as are replacement wheels. They match your brake caliper reach, etc. Why make things more complicated?
wrk101 is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
tonyfourdogs
Bicycle Mechanics
10
08-07-18 08:37 AM
veganbikes
Bicycle Mechanics
8
06-05-15 09:07 AM
johnnyboy1
Bicycle Mechanics
2
12-03-13 08:39 PM
rokstar
Bicycle Mechanics
8
06-29-13 07:22 PM
HoraceLai
Bicycle Mechanics
4
10-01-12 12:03 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.