Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show us your vintage mountain bikes!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show us your vintage mountain bikes!

Old 02-18-12, 08:22 PM
  #2176  
I got 99 projects
 
BluesDaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hills of Central NH
Posts: 1,581
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by KChurch86
I've had this Trek Mountain Track 850 in my garage for a few years now, got it under "interesting circumstances" a few years ago. I was going to strip it for parts here and there, until I realized that most all of the parts on it were pretty cheap and crappy, all no-name stuff.

This is NOT the actual bike, mine is near-identical, except mine's got a suspension fork on it...which is currently frozen solid.



How can I identify what year this bike is? There is no visible serial number on the BB shell, where else should I look? Is this frame worth building up into a second rig or is it better off suited as a $15 tag sale item?
Looks like the ones we were selling in 1994, my one summer working at a bike shop. A decent mid-level MTB.
BluesDaddy is offline  
Old 02-18-12, 08:22 PM
  #2177  
cowboy, steel horse, etc
 
LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: The hot spot.
Posts: 45,670

Bikes: everywhere

Liked 8,257 Times in 4,393 Posts
RE: GF Cake

OK now, calling a 2005 bike "vintage" is really pushing the boundaries

Nice deal tho.
LesterOfPuppets is offline  
Old 02-18-12, 08:28 PM
  #2178  
Learning to Roll
 
hamanu23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: or
Posts: 329

Bikes: 72 Centurion rolled molly steel road bike

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
RE: GF Cake

OK now, calling a 2005 bike "vintage" is really pushing the boundaries

Nice deal tho.
Yeah I know, but the C&V forums is my home man I love this place. Every other page on this site is brutal...
hamanu23 is offline  
Old 02-18-12, 08:37 PM
  #2179  
cowboy, steel horse, etc
 
LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: The hot spot.
Posts: 45,670

Bikes: everywhere

Liked 8,257 Times in 4,393 Posts
Originally Posted by KChurch86
I've had this Trek Mountain Track 850 in my garage for a few years now, got it under "interesting circumstances" a few years ago. I was going to strip it for parts here and there, until I realized that most all of the parts on it were pretty cheap and crappy, all no-name stuff.

This is NOT the actual bike, mine is near-identical, except mine's got a suspension fork on it...which is currently frozen solid.



How can I identify what year this bike is? There is no visible serial number on the BB shell, where else should I look? Is this frame worth building up into a second rig or is it better off suited as a $15 tag sale item?
BluesDaddy called it on that one. 1994. There was also an 850 SHX in 1993 that had a Hood River Red to Charcoal fade that would look somewhat similar to that, obviously a less purplish front end and a slightly lighter colored rear end.

Hard tellin' without actual pics. Serial number would help also. Then of course components help too but I'm guessing it's frame/fork only here. Serial might be on rear dropouts but my 1999 Trek had it on the BB shell.

I'd say it's worth building up if you can find all parts including fork for $100 or less for a rider/$50 or less for flipper, anymore than that then you'll be building it up because you love it not because you can build it up and at least recoup your costs.

Ooops. Found a 1993 850SHX, not even close. Hood River Red is pretty bright and orangey and there's a little purple in between that and the charcoal.


Last edited by LesterOfPuppets; 02-18-12 at 08:47 PM.
LesterOfPuppets is offline  
Old 02-18-12, 08:44 PM
  #2180  
Junior Member
 
KChurch86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: 01038
Posts: 11

Bikes: Access hardtail custom-build MTB, DK General Lee custom-build BMX

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDaddy
Looks like the ones we were selling in 1994, my one summer working at a bike shop. A decent mid-level MTB.
Thanks for the info!

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
BluesDaddy called it on that one. 1994. There was also an 850 SHX that had a Hood River Red to Charcoal fade that would look somewhat similar to that, obviously a less purplish front end and a slightly lighter colored rear end.

Hard tellin' without actual pics. Serial number would help also. Then of course components help too but I'm guessing it's frame/fork only here. Serial might be on rear dropouts but my 1999 Trek had it on the BB shell.

I'd say it's worth building up if you can find all parts including fork for $100 or less, anymore than that then you'll be building it up because you love it not because you can build it up and at least recoup your costs.
And thank you for the verification.

I'll check the dropouts tomorrow, the BB was completely bare. I have all the parts that were on it, but it doesn't appear as though any of them were original to the bike. It's as if somebody built the bike down at some point in its life and loaded it up with cheap components. I'm not attached to it in any way, maybe I'll finish stripping it down of remaining parts and see if I can get a buyer interested in a bare frame. It's either that or I build it up and attach a chainsaw motor. Gas is set to hit $5 a gallon by Memorial Day

Again, thank you both for the help.
KChurch86 is offline  
Old 02-18-12, 09:01 PM
  #2181  
Banned.
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 27,199
Liked 1,415 Times in 914 Posts
Originally Posted by hamanu23
Yeah I know, but the C&V forums is my home man I love this place. Every other page on this site is brutal...
The bike looks like wicked fun.
RobbieTunes is offline  
Old 02-18-12, 09:18 PM
  #2182  
Behold my avatar:
 
dgodave's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: SW Colorado
Posts: 1,034

Bikes: 2019 Gorilla Monsoon, 2013 Surly Krampus, Brompton folder

Liked 445 Times in 289 Posts
Originally Posted by watchfob
82 Stumpjumper - restored last summer to 'as ridden' condition - pretty much all original - haven't been able to find 'Stumpjumper' rubber, but did manage to find a serviceable pair of Ground Controls at the local community shop [that's what I used back in the day] - don't know how much it'll get ridden, probably a shop queen //doug



Wow. Nice. Memory lane.....
.
dgodave is offline  
Old 02-19-12, 12:42 AM
  #2183  
Senior Member
 
SPlKE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Conshohocken, PA
Posts: 860
Liked 48 Times in 22 Posts
Can I just interject at this particular time ---

Bikes on this thread should be pre-flexible bikes -- i.e. no shock absorbers anywhere, in the fork or the frame.

I think of vintage MTB as being born when the only frames and forks you could buy were solid.

Am I right?
SPlKE is offline  
Old 02-19-12, 12:49 AM
  #2184  
Behold my avatar:
 
dgodave's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: SW Colorado
Posts: 1,034

Bikes: 2019 Gorilla Monsoon, 2013 Surly Krampus, Brompton folder

Liked 445 Times in 289 Posts
Originally Posted by SPlKE
Can I just interject at this particular time ---

Bikes on this thread should be pre-flexible bikes -- i.e. no shock absorbers anywhere, in the fork or the frame.

I think of vintage MTB as being born when the only frames and forks you could buy were solid.

Am I right?
There were some way early tries at suspension. It would be fun to include those.
.
dgodave is offline  
Old 02-19-12, 01:02 AM
  #2185  
Senior Member
 
SPlKE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Conshohocken, PA
Posts: 860
Liked 48 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by dgodave
There were some way early tries at suspension. It would be fun to include those.
.
I have no problem with early attempts at suspension. By early, I'm thinking prototype, maybe even very early production models, but nothing from the era when all MTBs had some variation of suspension (I'm thinking of the 2005 above).

I'm a rigid MTB purist -- hard tail, hard fork.
SPlKE is offline  
Old 02-19-12, 02:20 AM
  #2186  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Victoria
Posts: 1,304
Liked 36 Times in 23 Posts
There aren't a lot of mountain bikes that I feel could be wall hangers but this is one of them. Awesome and important bike right there, the 1982 Stumpy. I'd love to have one of those to cruise on in the summer.


Originally Posted by watchfob
82 Stumpjumper - restored last summer to 'as ridden' condition - pretty much all original - haven't been able to find 'Stumpjumper' rubber, but did manage to find a serviceable pair of Ground Controls at the local community shop [that's what I used back in the day] - don't know how much it'll get ridden, probably a shop queen //doug



tashi is offline  
Old 02-19-12, 08:36 AM
  #2187  
Behold my avatar:
 
dgodave's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: SW Colorado
Posts: 1,034

Bikes: 2019 Gorilla Monsoon, 2013 Surly Krampus, Brompton folder

Liked 445 Times in 289 Posts
Originally Posted by SPlKE
I have no problem with early attempts at suspension. By early, I'm thinking prototype, maybe even very early production models, but nothing from the era when all MTBs had some variation of suspension (I'm thinking of the 2005 above).

I'm a rigid MTB purist -- hard tail, hard fork.
Well, yeah.
.
dgodave is offline  
Old 02-19-12, 10:44 AM
  #2188  
Learning to Roll
 
hamanu23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: or
Posts: 329

Bikes: 72 Centurion rolled molly steel road bike

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SPlKE
I have no problem with early attempts at suspension. By early, I'm thinking prototype, maybe even very early production models, but nothing from the era when all MTBs had some variation of suspension (I'm thinking of the 2005 above).

I'm a rigid MTB purist -- hard tail, hard fork.
Posting my photo did not hurt anyone... I was just really excited and wanted to share with people I know.
hamanu23 is offline  
Old 02-19-12, 10:47 AM
  #2189  
Senior Member
 
SPlKE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Conshohocken, PA
Posts: 860
Liked 48 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by hamanu23
Posting my photo did not hurt anyone... I was just really excited and wanted to share with people I know.
I know. I don't know why I suddenly shifted into the bossy little snit mode.
SPlKE is offline  
Old 02-19-12, 01:30 PM
  #2190  
Senior Member
 
Gravity Aided's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Normal, Illinois
Posts: 2,714

Bikes: Trek 600 ,1980Raleigh Competition G.S., 1986 Schwinn Passage, Facet Biotour 2000, Falcon San Remo 531,Schwinn Sierra, Sun Seeker tricycle recumbent,1985 Bianchi Squadra

Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Some of the early attempts at suspension are both entertaining and instructive . Like that one bike that had no downtube, just a guywire .
Gravity Aided is offline  
Old 02-19-12, 01:33 PM
  #2191  
cowboy, steel horse, etc
 
LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: The hot spot.
Posts: 45,670

Bikes: everywhere

Liked 8,257 Times in 4,393 Posts
Slingshots are awesome!!!



Ooops, sorry about that 2012 Slingshot, SPIKE, here's a 1990:


Last edited by LesterOfPuppets; 02-19-12 at 01:36 PM.
LesterOfPuppets is offline  
Old 02-19-12, 01:35 PM
  #2192  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7,075
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
i think i drooled on some slingshots when i was a kid.
thirdgenbird is offline  
Old 02-19-12, 06:47 PM
  #2193  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 148

Bikes: 1989 Trek 1500 58 2009 Cannondale CAAD 9 5

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As a compliment to the two tone slingshot here is my Klein Pinnacle.



Last edited by Slammin; 02-20-12 at 12:09 AM.
Slammin is offline  
Old 02-19-12, 08:34 PM
  #2194  
Junior Member
 
boatsinbottles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 119
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My '85 Mongoose All Terrain (mostly stock) at the park earlier today:



Its radical biplane fork crown:



I plan to rehab her with some drop bars on a Nitto Dirt Drop stem, with some Suntour Barcons.

Also in the garage, an '85 Stumpjumper which serves mostly as the guest bike.
boatsinbottles is offline  
Old 02-19-12, 08:38 PM
  #2195  
Junior Member
 
boatsinbottles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 119
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bikedued
I guess my Sierra fits here too? I never had it built as a mountain bike since I got it as a bare frame. It's steadily evolving. I want to find some alloy fenders for it, or at least something silver that fits better. I was kind of bummed out with the amount of "clearance" these have. The radius also seems off, almost like they were meant for a 29er or very fat 700 tire? It weighs 28 pounds 12 ounces, but once you're rolling it seems way lighter.,,,,BD

BD, that's what I'm talking about! Sweet ride!
boatsinbottles is offline  
Old 02-20-12, 12:20 AM
  #2196  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Victoria
Posts: 1,304
Liked 36 Times in 23 Posts
Want!

Originally Posted by boatsinbottles
my '85 mongoose all terrain (mostly stock) at the park earlier today:



its radical biplane fork crown:



i plan to rehab her with some drop bars on a nitto dirt drop stem, with some suntour barcons.

Also in the garage, an '85 stumpjumper which serves mostly as the guest bike.
tashi is offline  
Old 02-20-12, 12:26 AM
  #2197  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 148

Bikes: 1989 Trek 1500 58 2009 Cannondale CAAD 9 5

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here are three vintage and a retro inspired.

1995 Gary Fisher Tassajara




Kona Humu humu I plan to build as a modern Cook Brothers Big BMX






2000 Trek 4500



1991 Klein Pinnacle XT - UltraViolet Magenta




Last edited by Slammin; 02-20-12 at 12:33 AM.
Slammin is offline  
Old 02-20-12, 07:20 AM
  #2198  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: North Ogden, Utah
Posts: 892
Liked 723 Times in 278 Posts
On the Klein - what is that massive cable going down to the front hub? Cyclometer drive?
Smokinapankake is online now  
Old 02-20-12, 09:01 AM
  #2199  
Senior Member
 
SPlKE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Conshohocken, PA
Posts: 860
Liked 48 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Slingshots are awesome!!!



Ooops, sorry about that 2012 Slingshot, SPIKE, here's a 1990:

Hey now! I said I was sorry.
SPlKE is offline  
Old 02-20-12, 09:59 AM
  #2200  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 148

Bikes: 1989 Trek 1500 58 2009 Cannondale CAAD 9 5

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Smokinapankake
On the Klein - what is that massive cable going down to the front hub? Cyclometer drive?
Yes its cable tape, I'm about to take it off. Battery's been dead for years and I have a Garmin forerunner.
Slammin is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.