Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Totally Tubular

Reply

Old 01-17-06, 09:39 PM
  #101  
luker
juneeaa memba!
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: boogled up in...Idaho!
Posts: 5,632

Bikes: Crap. The box is not big enough...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
A trick - when you get to that last fifteen inches, fasten one side to the wheel with an old toestrap. Pull it up tight...like having three hands! Now you can stretch, curse, sweat and struggle with both hands, instead of one only.
luker is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-06, 11:04 PM
  #102  
peripatetic
Senior Member
 
peripatetic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,124

Bikes: All 70s and 80s, only steel.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Everest
Are there any detailed directions for this patching process anywhere online? The Wolber just didnt want to go on te rim no matter how much I tried about 15 inches didnt want to stay on.
Mr. Brown has graciously archived the snide Mr. Brandt's technique. Personally, I usually try and find some method other than Brandt's, because I don't really like supporting poor, derisive and insulting writing. But perhaps I editorialize too much.


here: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/tubular-repair.html
peripatetic is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-06, 12:44 PM
  #103  
Everest
Senior Member
 
Everest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Iowa City, Iowa / Island Park, Idaho
Posts: 778

Bikes: Lemond Alpe d'Huez, 03 Gary Fisher Tassjara, Quattro Assi Scandium

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well I got the wolber on using your trick Luker except with tightly wraped ellectrical tape instead of a strap, I'm hoping it holds air. As for the other tire with the leak it is a Vittoria Competition Nuovo Pro does anyone no what kind of tube this has according to the above link there are two kinds latex and butyl. If it is latex does anyone have an old latex tube they could cut a few patches from for me? Also will a regular sewing needle be allright or do I absolutely need the rare triangular needle suggested in the article? If the old thread is unusable what kind would reccomend resewing the tire with? Anyone have any tips for finding leaks? With clincher tube I submerge them in water and look for bubbles will this work with a tubular? Should I scrape the old dried glue off the rim or leave it? When I deflate and pull up on the front tire the glue begins to sepereate should I reglue this tire? When I glue the tires do I apply glue to the entire surface of the base tape and rim or just the edges? Any other tips of the trade you can offer a total novice would be greatly appreciated thanks.
__________________
Road: Quattro Assi Scandium w/ SRAM Rival and Rolf Echelon's
Mountain: 2005 Specialized Enduro Comp
2003 Gary Fisher Tassajara

Last edited by Everest; 01-18-06 at 01:14 PM.
Everest is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-06, 06:04 AM
  #104  
mollusk
Elite Fred
 
mollusk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Edge City
Posts: 10,893

Bikes: 2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Everest
Well I got the wolber on using your trick Luker except with tightly wraped ellectrical tape instead of a strap, I'm hoping it holds air. As for the other tire with the leak it is a Vittoria Competition Nuovo Pro does anyone no what kind of tube this has according to the above link there are two kinds latex and butyl. If it is latex does anyone have an old latex tube they could cut a few patches from for me? Also will a regular sewing needle be allright or do I absolutely need the rare triangular needle suggested in the article? If the old thread is unusable what kind would reccomend resewing the tire with? Anyone have any tips for finding leaks? With clincher tube I submerge them in water and look for bubbles will this work with a tubular? Should I scrape the old dried glue off the rim or leave it? When I deflate and pull up on the front tire the glue begins to sepereate should I reglue this tire? When I glue the tires do I apply glue to the entire surface of the base tape and rim or just the edges? Any other tips of the trade you can offer a total novice would be greatly appreciated thanks.
I use a heavy sewing needle and dental floss. Waxed dental floss works great.

Submersion to find the leak will normally get you to the vicinity of the leak.

Get the old glue off the rim. "Goof Off" works well for me.

Reglue that tire! If you can pull it off that way you will roll it off when cornering.

Glue the entire surface.
mollusk is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-06, 08:27 AM
  #105  
Bob S.
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chesapeake Bay, MD
Posts: 434
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for the dental floss tip. I still have some needles that I picked-up back in the 70's that came with a sew-up repair kit. Over the years I have added and used relitively light weight "sail repair" needles and thread to the kit & tool box. Bob
Bob S. is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-06, 10:49 AM
  #106  
Everest
Senior Member
 
Everest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Iowa City, Iowa / Island Park, Idaho
Posts: 778

Bikes: Lemond Alpe d'Huez, 03 Gary Fisher Tassjara, Quattro Assi Scandium

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for all the help now if I can just find some latex patches, can anyone cut me some from a dead tubular or know where to find some? Also is Vittoria good glue to use?
__________________
Road: Quattro Assi Scandium w/ SRAM Rival and Rolf Echelon's
Mountain: 2005 Specialized Enduro Comp
2003 Gary Fisher Tassajara
Everest is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-06, 12:31 PM
  #107  
luker
juneeaa memba!
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: boogled up in...Idaho!
Posts: 5,632

Bikes: Crap. The box is not big enough...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
vittoria tubasti is what you use to join tire to rim. As I recall, that glue is red, and that's my only complaint. Wolber and Panasonic (and some others) make a tire glue that is clear, and that is my personal preference, because I always seem to get a little on things that really don't need any glue.

Use tire patch glue to put patch to tube (like what comes in the little metal tubes in the little patch kits. You know, the stuff that is always dried up when you have a flat and you are 14 miles from town with no cell phone.)
luker is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-06, 12:59 PM
  #108  
toomanybikes
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Okanagan Valley, BC
Posts: 431

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Originally Posted by jim-bob
Yeah, I've seen a bunch of 'em on ebay and the like, but was hoping to get feedback from people who've used them.

(And yeah, fixed is a definite consideration for this one.)
I use the Clement Elitas on my cyclocross bike. Actually a surprisingly nice tire once you get past the blue tread!
toomanybikes is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-06, 01:00 PM
  #109  
toomanybikes
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Okanagan Valley, BC
Posts: 431

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Originally Posted by luker
vittoria tubasti is what you use to join tire to rim. As I recall, that glue is red, and that's my only complaint. Wolber and Panasonic (and some others) make a tire glue that is clear, and that is my personal preference, because I always seem to get a little on things that really don't need any glue.

Use tire patch glue to put patch to tube (like what comes in the little metal tubes in the little patch kits. You know, the stuff that is always dried up when you have a flat and you are 14 miles from town with no cell phone.)
Luker, Tubasti is actually that HORRIBLE white stuff that never sets up hard and gets all over everything..

Much prefer Vittoria or Clement.
toomanybikes is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-06, 01:09 PM
  #110  
toomanybikes
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Okanagan Valley, BC
Posts: 431

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Originally Posted by luker
A trick - when you get to that last fifteen inches, fasten one side to the wheel with an old toestrap. Pull it up tight...like having three hands! Now you can stretch, curse, sweat and struggle with both hands, instead of one only.
Funny, I use those hand clamps that you get at Home Depot. The Spring loaded ones.

I was in my woodshop one day putting on a tire and looking for something to hold it. Grabbed a vice grip spring clamp off the workbench and Voila - worked like a hot damn.
toomanybikes is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-06, 05:11 PM
  #111  
luker
juneeaa memba!
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: boogled up in...Idaho!
Posts: 5,632

Bikes: Crap. The box is not big enough...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Originally Posted by toomanybikes
Luker, Tubasti is actually that HORRIBLE white stuff that never sets up hard and gets all over everything..

Much prefer Vittoria or Clement.

you are right...in my feeble mind I was confusing mastice gutta with tubasti (plumbing today, sewer fumes must be destroying brain cells). As it turns out, I was not right about what mastice gutta means either. Nor even what language it is in. Attached is a picture of the kinds of glue that I currently have in the garage. The Tubasti in that tube is red, I'm pretty sure, but it is nasty stuff. All of the other ones seem to work fine. I have been using the hutchinson lately and it is pretty good...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
tireglue.jpg (41.6 KB, 96 views)
luker is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-06, 06:18 PM
  #112  
luker
juneeaa memba!
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: boogled up in...Idaho!
Posts: 5,632

Bikes: Crap. The box is not big enough...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Oh, hey. My original point was lost there, maybe. Don't use rim glue to mount patches. Different properties...
luker is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-06, 07:18 PM
  #113  
Everest
Senior Member
 
Everest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Iowa City, Iowa / Island Park, Idaho
Posts: 778

Bikes: Lemond Alpe d'Huez, 03 Gary Fisher Tassjara, Quattro Assi Scandium

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Will tire patch glue even work on latex patches? The vittoria glue I'm asking about is this stuff any one have any expierences?

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...eid=&pagename=
__________________
Road: Quattro Assi Scandium w/ SRAM Rival and Rolf Echelon's
Mountain: 2005 Specialized Enduro Comp
2003 Gary Fisher Tassajara
Everest is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-06, 08:15 PM
  #114  
Everest
Senior Member
 
Everest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Iowa City, Iowa / Island Park, Idaho
Posts: 778

Bikes: Lemond Alpe d'Huez, 03 Gary Fisher Tassjara, Quattro Assi Scandium

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well the tire dosent appear to be leaking there is a stedy flow of bubbles from the valve however one about every 1-2 seconds. The valve is all the way tightened and the leak appears to be in the body of the valve (see graphic) any way to fix this? Also what do you glue down the base tape with its coming up a little in one area?

__________________
Road: Quattro Assi Scandium w/ SRAM Rival and Rolf Echelon's
Mountain: 2005 Specialized Enduro Comp
2003 Gary Fisher Tassajara
Everest is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-06, 09:10 PM
  #115  
USAZorro
Señor Member
 
USAZorro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Florence, KY
Posts: 16,100

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 661 Post(s)
I'd try opening the valve and dunking it in mineral spirits for about 10 minutes. Let it dry and try to inflate again. If it's just some gunk keeping it from sealing all the way, this might clean it out. If you need some latex tube for patching, I can send you some bits.
__________________
In search of what to search for.
USAZorro is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-06, 10:01 PM
  #116  
Everest
Senior Member
 
Everest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Iowa City, Iowa / Island Park, Idaho
Posts: 778

Bikes: Lemond Alpe d'Huez, 03 Gary Fisher Tassjara, Quattro Assi Scandium

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for the tip I will pick up some mineral spirits monday. I sent you a pm about the patches.
__________________
Road: Quattro Assi Scandium w/ SRAM Rival and Rolf Echelon's
Mountain: 2005 Specialized Enduro Comp
2003 Gary Fisher Tassajara
Everest is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-06, 05:32 PM
  #117  
lotek 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
lotek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: n.w. superdrome
Posts: 17,711

Bikes: 1 trek, serotta, rih, de Reus, Pogliaghi and finally a Zieleman! and got a DeRosa

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I've been using Conti glue with great success.
I did just pick up some Panaracer which is also clear and
has a tenacious hold (so I'm told).
Everest, see if you can find a velox tubular repair kit on ebuy
has everything you need, needle, thread glue patches etc.

Marty
__________________
Sono più lento di quel che sembra.
Odio la gente, tutti.


Want to upgrade your membership? Click Here.
lotek is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-06, 07:35 PM
  #118  
mollusk
Elite Fred
 
mollusk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Edge City
Posts: 10,893

Bikes: 2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Everest
Well the tire dosent appear to be leaking there is a stedy flow of bubbles from the valve however one about every 1-2 seconds. The valve is all the way tightened and the leak appears to be in the body of the valve (see graphic) any way to fix this? Also what do you glue down the base tape with its coming up a little in one area?

I had exactly the same problem with exactly this brand of tubular this year. I fixed it by unscrewing the valve core, applying some blue Loctite, and screwing it back together.
mollusk is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-06, 08:08 PM
  #119  
Everest
Senior Member
 
Everest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Iowa City, Iowa / Island Park, Idaho
Posts: 778

Bikes: Lemond Alpe d'Huez, 03 Gary Fisher Tassjara, Quattro Assi Scandium

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Originally Posted by mollusk
I had exactly the same problem with exactly this brand of tubular this year. I fixed it by unscrewing the valve core, applying some blue Loctite, and screwing it back together.
Can you go into more detail. Mainly whats the valve core I assume this is the smaller part with threads on it that attaches to the part coming from the tire at the point I highlighted. Did you just use a vice grips to unscrew it or what?
__________________
Road: Quattro Assi Scandium w/ SRAM Rival and Rolf Echelon's
Mountain: 2005 Specialized Enduro Comp
2003 Gary Fisher Tassajara
Everest is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-06, 08:13 PM
  #120  
lotek 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
lotek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: n.w. superdrome
Posts: 17,711

Bikes: 1 trek, serotta, rih, de Reus, Pogliaghi and finally a Zieleman! and got a DeRosa

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Everest,

The valve core should have flats on it to allow you to screw it either in or out
of the main valve housing, the whole area that you have marked should screw out.

Marty
__________________
Sono più lento di quel che sembra.
Odio la gente, tutti.


Want to upgrade your membership? Click Here.
lotek is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-06, 01:00 PM
  #121  
Everest
Senior Member
 
Everest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Iowa City, Iowa / Island Park, Idaho
Posts: 778

Bikes: Lemond Alpe d'Huez, 03 Gary Fisher Tassjara, Quattro Assi Scandium

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Alright I've got everything compiled to do my first tubular glueing but have a few final questions. I still need to know what to reattach some seperated base tape with, sheldos site says latex emulsion, where would I get this? Also try as i might I just cant get the old glue off the rims. It is completely hardened with no tack at all. I tried Goof Off goo remover and mineral spirits. What else can I try to remove this as from my understanding it must be removed before re-glueing?
__________________
Road: Quattro Assi Scandium w/ SRAM Rival and Rolf Echelon's
Mountain: 2005 Specialized Enduro Comp
2003 Gary Fisher Tassajara
Everest is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-06, 01:12 PM
  #122  
USAZorro
Señor Member
 
USAZorro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Florence, KY
Posts: 16,100

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 661 Post(s)
Steel wool takes old glue off pretty well. It needs to be sort of coarse. Be sure to wear heavy duty gloves, and clean up all the pieces of steel wool that come off.

Also, there may be other viable options for latex emulsion, but try googling "jevelots". I think that would qualify.
__________________
In search of what to search for.
USAZorro is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-06, 01:59 PM
  #123  
Everest
Senior Member
 
Everest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Iowa City, Iowa / Island Park, Idaho
Posts: 778

Bikes: Lemond Alpe d'Huez, 03 Gary Fisher Tassjara, Quattro Assi Scandium

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Originally Posted by USAZorro
try googling "jevelots". I think that would qualify.
I just tried and got 2 pages that were in french. Am I doing something wrong.
__________________
Road: Quattro Assi Scandium w/ SRAM Rival and Rolf Echelon's
Mountain: 2005 Specialized Enduro Comp
2003 Gary Fisher Tassajara
Everest is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-06, 03:47 PM
  #124  
USAZorro
Señor Member
 
USAZorro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Florence, KY
Posts: 16,100

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 661 Post(s)
Oops, there's no "s". Try jevelot, latex
__________________
In search of what to search for.
USAZorro is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-06, 04:50 PM
  #125  
CV-6 
If I own it, I ride it
 
CV-6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Cardinal Country
Posts: 4,732

Bikes: Lejeune, Raleigh, Raysport, Jan De Reus, Gazelle, Masi, B. Carré, Springfield, Motobecane, John Howard, Greg Lemond

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Everest
Alright I've got everything compiled to do my first tubular glueing but have a few final questions. I still need to know what to reattach some seperated base tape with, sheldos site says latex emulsion, where would I get this? Also try as i might I just cant get the old glue off the rims. It is completely hardened with no tack at all. I tried Goof Off goo remover and mineral spirits. What else can I try to remove this as from my understanding it must be removed before re-glueing?
I have had good luck using a spoon to remove the old glue. It fits the contour of the rim and chips it right off. But then maybe the glue I removed was pretty ancient.
__________________
Lynn Travers

Photos
CV-6 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service