Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Old 02-23-19, 02:12 PM
  #13126  
Senior Member
 
dweenk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3,808

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Liked 337 Times in 226 Posts
[MENTION=486602]deux jambes[/MENTION]
"Unfortunatley the bear traps are missing their dust caps. There is a Oregon ebayer who is selling repops. Aside from condition, the paint is definitely 1980's rad! "

I have a pair of those pedals needing dust caps, you have a link?
dweenk is offline  
Old 02-23-19, 04:45 PM
  #13127  
Senior Member
 
deux jambes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 1,326
Liked 348 Times in 197 Posts
Originally Posted by dweenk
[MENTION=486602]deux jambes[/MENTION]
"Unfortunatley the bear traps are missing their dust caps. There is a Oregon ebayer who is selling repops. Aside from condition, the paint is definitely 1980's rad! "

I have a pair of those pedals needing dust caps, you have a link?
Here you go... Suntour XCII Pedal Dust Caps
deux jambes is offline  
Old 03-10-19, 12:46 PM
  #13128  
Senior Member
 
curbtender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SF Bay Area, East bay
Posts: 7,842

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Liked 2,866 Times in 1,313 Posts


Tried to say no, but they were sending it to the scrap heap. 77' Fuji Dynamic 12. Easy to date because it was only in the lineup for one year.
curbtender is offline  
Old 03-10-19, 02:00 PM
  #13129  
Rustbelt Rider
 
mkeller234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Canton, OH
Posts: 9,107

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Liked 373 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by curbtender


Tried to say no, but they were sending it to the scrap heap. 77' Fuji Dynamic 12. Easy to date because it was only in the lineup for one year.
Looks like a great save to me! Suntour VGT-luxe derailleur, cool compe Suntour FD too. Leather saddle, nice bars. The whole package looks 👍
mkeller234 is offline  
Old 03-10-19, 03:45 PM
  #13130  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Elwood Indiana
Posts: 7,333

Bikes: they change so much I'm tired of updating this

Liked 1,211 Times in 446 Posts
I pulled this one from a dumpster. After a quick
clean and tune up Iím ready pass it along at a cheap price for someone needing a bike. EDIT..Before someone says something, this is not a for sale post.. I posted it local only....



__________________
Semper fi
sloar is offline  
Old 03-10-19, 05:32 PM
  #13131  
Senior Member
 
curbtender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SF Bay Area, East bay
Posts: 7,842

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Liked 2,866 Times in 1,313 Posts
Originally Posted by sloar
I pulled this one from a dumpster. After a quick
clean and tune up Iím ready pass it along at a cheap price for someone needing a bike. EDIT..Before someone says something, this is not a for sale post.. I posted it local only....



Yes, that's a quality dumpster you're looking in...with "can't-a-leave-r" brakes.
curbtender is offline  
Old 03-11-19, 02:03 PM
  #13132  
Rustbelt Rider
 
mkeller234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Canton, OH
Posts: 9,107

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Liked 373 Times in 177 Posts
This Mt Fuji followed me home today:

mkeller234 is offline  
Old 03-11-19, 02:25 PM
  #13133  
Senior Member
 
dweenk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3,808

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Liked 337 Times in 226 Posts
^^^^^ Nice stuff on that and clean too.
dweenk is offline  
Old 03-11-19, 03:25 PM
  #13134  
Senior Member
 
merziac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: PDX
Posts: 13,326

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Liked 6,628 Times in 3,801 Posts
Originally Posted by mkeller234
This Mt Fuji followed me home today:

There's a mountain of cool in that one, great score.
merziac is offline  
Old 03-11-19, 04:39 PM
  #13135  
Senior Member
 
Velo Mule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 2,174

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Liked 1,071 Times in 697 Posts
Nice. A lugged Mountain bike. It looks to be in great shape. Fuji's always had great paint jobs.
Velo Mule is offline  
Old 03-11-19, 04:49 PM
  #13136  
Senior Member
 
curbtender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SF Bay Area, East bay
Posts: 7,842

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Liked 2,866 Times in 1,313 Posts
Has everything but the front reflector. These are making a comeback as bullet proof urban bikes.
curbtender is offline  
Old 03-11-19, 05:13 PM
  #13137  
Senior Member
 
2cam16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: San Mateo,Ca.
Posts: 4,018

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Liked 976 Times in 619 Posts
Originally Posted by mkeller234
This Mt Fuji followed me home today:

2cam16 is offline  
Old 03-11-19, 05:47 PM
  #13138  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Madison, WI USA
Posts: 6,165
Liked 1,764 Times in 1,198 Posts
^^^^^^ +1; an '80s MTB with that limo geometry, silver thumbies, and esp. a bull moose is one of my sorta-grail bikes.
madpogue is offline  
Old 03-12-19, 10:23 AM
  #13139  
Senior Member
 
DiegoFrogs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Scranton, PA, USA
Posts: 2,572

Bikes: '77 Centurion "Pro Tour"; '67 Carlton "The Flyer"; 1984 Ross MTB (stored at parents' house)

Liked 93 Times in 61 Posts
The Mt. Fuji looks like a perfect platform for a lot of really cool stuff... <3
DiegoFrogs is offline  
Old 03-12-19, 01:34 PM
  #13140  
Cyclist
 
SeanBikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 113

Bikes: 1987 Nishiki Altron 7000 (Road), 1983 Norco Monterey (Fixed-gear), 2005 Kona Blast (MTB), 2008 Lemond Poprad (CX)

Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Cheap Kijiji Find

Just found this guy for $20:

1978 Super Cycle Gran Sport

Will let you know what it turns into...

Last edited by SeanBikes; 04-23-19 at 08:01 AM.
SeanBikes is offline  
Old 03-12-19, 02:05 PM
  #13141  
Senior Member
 
ryansu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Seattle WA
Posts: 2,841

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Liked 524 Times in 367 Posts
@mkeller234 that Mt Fuji checks a ton of boxes -nice find
ryansu is offline  
Old 03-14-19, 09:06 PM
  #13142  
Junior Member
 
enjoybikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: montana
Posts: 198

Bikes: Early 90's Pinarello Gavia, '84 Guerciotti, '91 GF Hoo Koo e Koo, '88 Giant Iguana, '09 Specialized XC

Liked 10 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by deux jambes
Picked a Lambert up for a little more than what the TA crankset is worth to me. It came with a set of garbage wheels set up single speed on BMX style Chinese hubs. And the rear derailleur was ďlost.Ē Basically, the PO was in the process of destroying this bike.

Not exactly sure what my plans are at this point. Itís in my size range, but definitely not a keeper. Strip it, and part it out, or build it, and flip it... Either way, Iím glad to have another TA triple on hand.



...and to have saved some C&V from the inevitable dump!

Do the cranks work for square tapers or do you transplant the lambert spindle too?
enjoybikes is offline  
Old 03-15-19, 09:50 AM
  #13143  
Senior Member
 
deux jambes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 1,326
Liked 348 Times in 197 Posts
Originally Posted by enjoybikes
Do the cranks work for square tapers or do you transplant the lambert spindle too?
As far as I understand it, the TA Pro-5 Vis crankarms have a proprietary taper matched perfectly with the proper TA spindle. However, itís been reported that many various bb spindles play well with it, particularly early Stronglight, and Campagnolo.

In this case Iíll be using a complete TA bb assembly when transplanting the crankset to another frame. As for the Lambert bb, itíll stay with the Lambert, as whoever buys it when put it up for sale soon, might appreciate having it as part of the original frameset. And Iíd imagine that it would accept a variety of cranksets besides the Pro-5 Vis.
deux jambes is offline  
Old 03-15-19, 12:37 PM
  #13144  
Old fart
 
JohnDThompson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Appleton WI
Posts: 24,926

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Liked 3,541 Times in 2,003 Posts
Originally Posted by deux jambes
As far as I understand it, the TA Pro-5 Vis crankarms have a proprietary taper matched perfectly with the proper TA spindle. However, itís been reported that many various bb spindles play well with it, particularly early Stronglight, and Campagnolo.

In this case Iíll be using a complete TA bb assembly when transplanting the crankset to another frame. As for the Lambert bb, itíll stay with the Lambert, as whoever buys it when put it up for sale soon, might appreciate having it as part of the original frameset. And Iíd imagine that it would accept a variety of cranksets besides the Pro-5 Vis.
TA cranks work fine on other spindles. But Lambert/Viscount cranks and spindles can be a hot mess. Are you certain your crank is TA and not Lambert/Viscount? Some Lambert/Viscount spindles were untapered, which made them incompatible with tapered spindles (and prone to spontaneous loosening). Some Lambert/Viscount spindles used unusual bolt thread, e.g. either 5/16"x 26tpi or 5/16" x 22tpi rather than the 8mm x 1mm everyone else used. And some Lambert crank arms used non-standard 7/8" x 24tpi extractor thread rather than standard 22mm x 1mm or TA 23mm x 1mm thread.


So, long story short, be certain of what you have before you start.
JohnDThompson is offline  
Old 03-15-19, 12:42 PM
  #13145  
Thrifty Bill
 
wrk101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mountains of Western NC
Posts: 23,555

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Liked 1,005 Times in 646 Posts
+10 Lambertís TA clone had a straight no taper spindle. A Lambert crank either has to go to someone with a Lambert/Viscount or parted out for the chainrings. Untapered spindle was a bad idea. Some Lambertís used a pressed in BB also unique.
wrk101 is offline  
Old 03-15-19, 09:25 PM
  #13146  
Senior Member
 
deux jambes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 1,326
Liked 348 Times in 197 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
TA cranks work fine on other spindles. But Lambert/Viscount cranks and spindles can be a hot mess. Are you certain your crank is TA and not Lambert/Viscount? Some Lambert/Viscount spindles were untapered, which made them incompatible with tapered spindles (and prone to spontaneous loosening). Some Lambert/Viscount spindles used unusual bolt thread, e.g. either 5/16"x 26tpi or 5/16" x 22tpi rather than the 8mm x 1mm everyone else used. And some Lambert crank arms used non-standard 7/8" x 24tpi extractor thread rather than standard 22mm x 1mm or TA 23mm x 1mm thread.


So, long story short, be certain of what you have before you start.
Originally Posted by wrk101
+10 Lambertís TA clone had a straight no taper spindle. A Lambert crank either has to go to someone with a Lambert/Viscount or parted out for the chainrings. Untapered spindle was a bad idea. Some Lambertís used a pressed in BB also unique.

The crankset wore a Specialties TA decal on the non drive side arm while it was missing the drive side decal. The triple chainset was marked with TA branding. And it took a 23 mm J.A. stein extractor to remove both arms. The bottom bracket was cup and cone with loose balls. And the spindle appears Japanese maybe? Just a hunch. Itís stamped, ďD-5SP.Ē By my eye, and caliper readings, itís definitely a tapered spindle. However, Lambert branded fixing bolts secured the arms to the spindle. Iím a dunce at measuring threads so couldnít tell ya what I have here.

So yea, a legitimate TA crankset, and the only reason I bought the bike.

I always appreciate the vast knowledge running through BF. And what you guys shared, I did not know other than Lamberts and Viscounts could have press fit bottom brackets. But the extra details and information just given, is not only interesting, but confirms for me once again that the world of C&V bikes is a black hole of oddities!
deux jambes is offline  
Old 03-16-19, 05:25 AM
  #13147  
Old fart
 
JohnDThompson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Appleton WI
Posts: 24,926

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Liked 3,541 Times in 2,003 Posts
Originally Posted by deux jambes
The bottom bracket was cup and cone with loose balls. And the spindle appears Japanese maybe? Just a hunch. Itís stamped, ďD-5SP.Ē By my eye, and caliper readings, itís definitely a tapered spindle. However, Lambert branded fixing bolts secured the arms to the spindle. Iím a dunce at measuring threads so couldnít tell ya what I have here.

So yea, a legitimate TA crankset, and the only reason I bought the bike.

I always appreciate the vast knowledge running through BF. And what you guys shared, I did not know other than Lamberts and Viscounts could have press fit bottom brackets. But the extra details and information just given, is not only interesting, but confirms for me once again that the world of C&V bikes is a black hole of oddities!
Well, Lambert/Viscount is among the oddest of the odd. AFAIK, all the lugless Lambert/Viscount frames came with press-fit cartridge bottom brackets. If the bottom bracket on yours is Italian thread, chances are it was an aftermarket modification. Reaming and tapping the lugless frames to use an Italian thread bottom bracket was a relatively common fix when the original cartridge bearings failed.
JohnDThompson is offline  
Old 03-16-19, 04:07 PM
  #13148  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,858
Liked 43 Times in 34 Posts
Schwinn Tempo from the trash

I went to my LBS to get a bike box to ship a frame I sold. I chatted with the owner for a few minutes, than went out to the dumpster to get a box. In a pile of dirty snow and trash, next to the dumpster was a 1987 Schwinn Temp with Shimano 105. Whats this? I went back to the shop just to confirm it was being thrown out....shop owner said..."go ahead and take it". So its a 1987 Temp....in MY SIZE. Crazy times indeed.








Last edited by vintagerando; 03-16-19 at 04:39 PM. Reason: spelling
vintagerando is offline  
Old 03-16-19, 05:07 PM
  #13149  
Rustbelt Rider
 
mkeller234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Canton, OH
Posts: 9,107

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Liked 373 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by vintagerando
I went to my LBS to get a bike box to ship a frame I sold. I chatted with the owner for a few minutes, than went out to the dumpster to get a box. In a pile of dirty snow and trash, next to the dumpster was a 1987 Schwinn Temp with Shimano 105. Whats this? I went back to the shop just to confirm it was being thrown out....shop owner said..."go ahead and take it". So its a 1987 Temp....in MY SIZE. Crazy times indeed.







That is insane! I hope you gave all the LBS employees a strong finger waving, followed with the suggestion that they continue to throw their old bikes out at your place.
mkeller234 is offline  
Old 03-16-19, 08:06 PM
  #13150  
Senior Member
 
3speedslow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Jacksonville, NC
Posts: 9,402

Bikes: A few

Liked 1,170 Times in 668 Posts
I’m glad there are pics or else I would have a hard time believing this^^^

Great snag that Tempo! Another Schwinn is saved!
3speedslow is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.