Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Looking for ideas and opinions on the "Ross Signature" Custom or team frame

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Looking for ideas and opinions on the "Ross Signature" Custom or team frame

Old 10-07-13, 10:51 AM
  #1  
that_guy_zach
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
that_guy_zach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: omicron persei 8
Posts: 808
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Looking for ideas and opinions on the "Ross Signature" Custom or team frame

I picked this up to build a bike thats more spirited than my 650 Trek. The person I got it from bought it in a lot so he had no info on it.

On the NDS chain stay there is the name or Gaily







Rifled steer tube

that_guy_zach is offline  
Old 10-07-13, 11:07 AM
  #2  
bertinjim 
Senior Member
 
bertinjim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Niagara Region, Canada
Posts: 1,402

Bikes: 1960s Bertin C37, 1973 Carre Bertin C 37, 1970s Carlton Kermesse, 1982 Peugeot PB 12

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 211 Times in 126 Posts
that_guy_zack-

If it's really a Ross Signature (check the seatstay caps for ROSS embossing) it's a nice bike. Tom Kellogg was the original designer and there is a link to Forum info on Ross bicycles. There are photos here and here of various Ross bicycles as well. However, the rifled Columbus style steerer and the style of fork crown lead me to believe you have a re-sprayed Italian frameset. You may want to check for Italian threading. As well, the frame shifter bosses look odd.
bertinjim is offline  
Old 10-07-13, 11:20 AM
  #3  
that_guy_zach
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
that_guy_zach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: omicron persei 8
Posts: 808
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I forgot to add that the front and rear drops are Shimano.
that_guy_zach is offline  
Old 10-07-13, 12:15 PM
  #4  
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!
 
unworthy1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 12,199
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 654 Times in 512 Posts
Interesting! and cool...IIRC Tom Kellogg was the main builder but not the only guy who made the top models...can't recall whom the other torch-bearers were. It does look like the rifling in the steerer is the Columbus style (curving) rather than Ishiwata or Tange (straight), but can you verify: 5 ribs or 6? Is that BB shell an Hitachi or a Roto (can't enlarge the pic on my computer to see)?
unworthy1 is offline  
Old 10-07-13, 12:38 PM
  #5  
nick burns
Senior Member
 
nick burns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Absecon, NJ
Posts: 2,947

Bikes: Puch Luzern, Puch Mistral SLE, Bianchi Pista, Motobecane Grand Touring, Austro-Daimler Ultima, Legnano, Raleigh MountainTour, Cannondale SM600

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This might help you out a little

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...-of-Ross-bikes
nick burns is offline  
Old 10-07-13, 12:48 PM
  #6  
varnce
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I might be off base here, but the Ross logo looks really off, and the pump peg seems anachronistic for the time period the Ross Signature bikes were being produced.
varnce is offline  
Old 10-07-13, 12:59 PM
  #7  
that_guy_zach
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
that_guy_zach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: omicron persei 8
Posts: 808
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I know of the normal signature models well, have had a few. Im just interested in this one and trying to figure out what it really is.


Just seems like a lot of trouble for someone to paint and decal a nice frame like this as a Ross, as well as the fact that there is a riders name on the chainstay.

Counted 5 ribs in the steer tube, Curving. And Shimano drops front and rear. And yes, 27.2 post. The BB shell does not seem to be a roto, cant find the Hitachi.

Last edited by that_guy_zach; 10-07-13 at 01:10 PM.
that_guy_zach is offline  
Old 10-07-13, 08:03 PM
  #8  
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!
 
unworthy1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 12,199
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 654 Times in 512 Posts
Originally Posted by that_guy_zach View Post
I know of the normal signature models well, have had a few. Im just interested in this one and trying to figure out what it really is.


Just seems like a lot of trouble for someone to paint and decal a nice frame like this as a Ross, as well as the fact that there is a riders name on the chainstay.

Counted 5 ribs in the steer tube, Curving. And Shimano drops front and rear. And yes, 27.2 post. The BB shell does not seem to be a roto, cant find the Hitachi.
OK, it has a Columbus steerer, at least.
The hitachi BB shell will have this logo (logo only, not the name) cast in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
images-1.jpg (3.1 KB, 223 views)
unworthy1 is offline  
Old 10-08-13, 09:42 AM
  #9  
that_guy_zach
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
that_guy_zach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: omicron persei 8
Posts: 808
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Yeah it has the Hitachi logo
that_guy_zach is offline  
Old 10-08-13, 11:56 AM
  #10  
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!
 
unworthy1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 12,199
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 654 Times in 512 Posts
seems like it could be a Signature "Triad" which did come with that BB shell, forkcrown and Columbus tubing (SL?). Yours might have ben customized for "Gaily" whoever that was, with the pump peg and possibly re-sprayed, too.
unworthy1 is offline  
Old 10-08-13, 01:54 PM
  #11  
that_guy_zach
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
that_guy_zach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: omicron persei 8
Posts: 808
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by unworthy1 View Post
seems like it could be a Signature "Triad" which did come with that BB shell, forkcrown and Columbus tubing (SL?). Yours might have ben customized for "Gaily" whoever that was, with the pump peg and possibly re-sprayed, too.

Thats the one. I was not aware of that model. Thank you for the help.
that_guy_zach is offline  
Old 10-08-13, 05:31 PM
  #12  
TiHabanero
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 3,940
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 970 Times in 507 Posts
Jim Redclay built Signature frames for Ross. Could be one of his.
TiHabanero is offline  
Old 10-09-13, 07:52 AM
  #13  
that_guy_zach
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
that_guy_zach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: omicron persei 8
Posts: 808
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Found some good info here-
https://thezenofcycling.blogspot.com/...ragged-in.html

Tom wrote: "The frame design was mine, the same exact design I developed for the first Ross Signature racing frames. Unlike the rest of the Ross bicycles made over the years, the Signature frames were real hand built frames, as good as any made at the time. I was very proud of what we did there. The guy who built that 508 was good enough that I hired him away from Ross and he is still working for me to this day, twenty six years later. You've got a little piece of history."

The only caveat to add is that Tom had left Ross in 1983 and Jim Redkay was running the shop by then. In all likelyhood, Jeff Duser _did_ make the frame, but the 508 Triads were built by a team consisting of Jeff, Juan Rodriguez, and Dave Rodriguez (hence the 'triad'). So truth be told, I don't know for sure if Jeff actually built my frame. I asked Tom for more detail, but I haven't heard back. He's probably tired of me annoying him (like you don't know that's possible).
that_guy_zach is offline  
Old 07-23-19, 04:15 PM
  #14  
kilimanjaro98
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Southern California
Posts: 15

Bikes: Storck Scenero, Ross Signature Triad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
I am the original owner of a Ross Signature Triad which I still have, the 63 cm pink frame purchased directly from the Ross showroom in Commerce, CA in 1985. The stamped numbers on the bottom are 508 6316 84 107. I had it built up at a bike shop in Pasadena with Shimano Dura Ace bottom bracket, chain rings, and cranks; the remaining components are Shimano 105 I believe. I competed as an age group triathlete (international distance) for several years.
Since 1990 it has been used off and on for fitness riding. First generation Time clipless pedals were installed in the early 90s which have since been replaced by Speedplays. As my age got higher and my speed got slower, I could no longer do justice to the flashy hot pink paint and had the bike refurbished and painted burgundy in the mid-90s by Cycle Art in San Diego county; at that time a cracked bottom bracket was replaced.
At age 60, the 53/42 chain rings coupled with a 6 speed 13-24 became impractical for my knees, and I bought a carbon fiber Storck with more appropriate old man gearing. I am torn between keeping the beautiful Ross for flat rides or selling it to someone who would appreciate it for the classic it is. I am taking it to have it refurbished by Joe Bell in San Diego whose work is very respected.
Is there a market for it?
kilimanjaro98 is offline  
Old 07-23-19, 05:30 PM
  #15  
hazetguy 
saddle angle optimizer
 
hazetguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 364
Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1530 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1,781 Times in 884 Posts
63 is a pretty large frame. If your serial numbering is consistent with earlier Signature series type Ross:
508 = model number
63 = size
16 = paint color code
84 = 1984
107 = 107th model 508 manufactured.

Depending on condition, there should be some market for it, although the Ross name does carry a heavy "low end" stigma attached to it. The 508 would be an exception, obviously. Post a few more times, and let's see some pics of yours!
Here's a spec pic from the '85 Ross catalog:


Last edited by hazetguy; 07-23-19 at 05:34 PM.
hazetguy is offline  
Old 07-23-19, 08:47 PM
  #16  
due ruote 
Senior Member
 
due ruote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 7,604
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 458 Times in 278 Posts
Originally Posted by kilimanjaro98 View Post
I am the original owner of a Ross Signature Triad which I still have, the 63 cm pink frame purchased directly from the Ross showroom in Commerce, CA in 1985. The stamped numbers on the bottom are 508 6316 84 107. I had it built up at a bike shop in Pasadena with Shimano Dura Ace bottom bracket, chain rings, and cranks; the remaining components are Shimano 105 I believe. I competed as an age group triathlete (international distance) for several years.
Since 1990 it has been used off and on for fitness riding. First generation Time clipless pedals were installed in the early 90s which have since been replaced by Speedplays. As my age got higher and my speed got slower, I could no longer do justice to the flashy hot pink paint and had the bike refurbished and painted burgundy in the mid-90s by Cycle Art in San Diego county; at that time a cracked bottom bracket was replaced.
At age 60, the 53/42 chain rings coupled with a 6 speed 13-24 became impractical for my knees, and I bought a carbon fiber Storck with more appropriate old man gearing. I am torn between keeping the beautiful Ross for flat rides or selling it to someone who would appreciate it for the classic it is. I am taking it to have it refurbished by Joe Bell in San Diego whose work is very respected.
Is there a market for it?
Just how bad is the paint? Itís sort of hard for me to imagine that it makes financial sense to get a Joe Bell paint job and then sell it, especially when it already has a Cycle Art finish.
I have one of the Signature bikes and keep shouting about how nice it is, but I donít think Iíve made enough headway for you to expect big dollars. Most people will still under appreciate a Ross, even one as nice as yours.
due ruote is offline  
Old 07-23-19, 08:54 PM
  #17  
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger
 
RiddleOfSteel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 4,293

Bikes: 1989 Schwinn Paramount OS - 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1985 Schwinn Voyageur SP - 1989 Cannondale SR - 2006 Orbea Onix

Mentioned: 212 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1409 Post(s)
Liked 1,518 Times in 774 Posts
Originally Posted by kilimanjaro98 View Post
I am the original owner of a Ross Signature Triad which I still have, the 63 cm pink frame purchased directly from the Ross showroom in Commerce, CA in 1985. The stamped numbers on the bottom are 508 6316 84 107. I had it built up at a bike shop in Pasadena with Shimano Dura Ace bottom bracket, chain rings, and cranks; the remaining components are Shimano 105 I believe. I competed as an age group triathlete (international distance) for several years.
Since 1990 it has been used off and on for fitness riding. First generation Time clipless pedals were installed in the early 90s which have since been replaced by Speedplays. As my age got higher and my speed got slower, I could no longer do justice to the flashy hot pink paint and had the bike refurbished and painted burgundy in the mid-90s by Cycle Art in San Diego county; at that time a cracked bottom bracket was replaced.
At age 60, the 53/42 chain rings coupled with a 6 speed 13-24 became impractical for my knees, and I bought a carbon fiber Storck with more appropriate old man gearing. I am torn between keeping the beautiful Ross for flat rides or selling it to someone who would appreciate it for the classic it is. I am taking it to have it refurbished by Joe Bell in San Diego whose work is very respected.
Is there a market for it?
I would say you have very much come to the correct place! I had a later 1985 Ross Signature 294S that was a beautiful, classy, and great-riding bike. No matter what components I put on it, it always enjoyed being on the road. Black with a silver head tube. It was my first real vintage bike that was my size and I fully overhauled it with its original Campagnolo Triomphe groupset.

As for a market for these, it will be very small as few are familiar with Ross, fewer are familiar with their top-level Signature models, and fewer still are aware of the Triad. Tom Kellogg and Jim Redcay, among a few others, were builders for Signatures in that part of the '80s. Other skilled builders did the later work (always hand made), though that can get a little murky.

It's crazy to hear that someone, anyone, has a Triad, let alone a Super Record-equipped Signature Road Criterium. And a 63cm! As such, you very much have my attention! Is your 63cm frame a center-to-top or center-to-center measurement? What is the top tube length? Were any frame angles listed or provided?
RiddleOfSteel is offline  
Old 07-23-19, 09:11 PM
  #18  
due ruote 
Senior Member
 
due ruote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 7,604
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 458 Times in 278 Posts
Originally Posted by RiddleOfSteel View Post
I would say you have very much come to the correct place! I had a later 1985 Ross Signature 294S that was a beautiful, classy, and great-riding bike. No matter what components I put on it, it always enjoyed being on the road. Black with a silver head tube. It was my first real vintage bike that was my size and I fully overhauled it with its original Campagnolo Triomphe groupset.

As for a market for these, it will be very small as few are familiar with Ross, fewer are familiar with their top-level Signature models, and fewer still are aware of the Triad. Tom Kellogg and Jim Redcay, among a few others, were builders for Signatures in that part of the '80s. Other skilled builders did the later work (always hand made), though that can get a little murky.

It's crazy to hear that someone, anyone, has a Triad, let alone a Super Record-equipped Signature Road Criterium. And a 63cm! As such, you very much have my attention! Is your 63cm frame a center-to-top or center-to-center measurement? What is the top tube length? Were any frame angles listed or provided?
Funny you said that about the Triad. Literally yesterday I was looking at the Ross catalog online, saw that bike, and thought to myself, hey, I have never seen one of those either live or on the web.
due ruote is offline  
Old 07-24-19, 12:40 AM
  #19  
kilimanjaro98
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Southern California
Posts: 15

Bikes: Storck Scenero, Ross Signature Triad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RiddleOfSteel View Post
I would say you have very much come to the correct place! I had a later 1985 Ross Signature 294S that was a beautiful, classy, and great-riding bike. No matter what components I put on it, it always enjoyed being on the road. Black with a silver head tube. It was my first real vintage bike that was my size and I fully overhauled it with its original Campagnolo Triomphe groupset.

As for a market for these, it will be very small as few are familiar with Ross, fewer are familiar with their top-level Signature models, and fewer still are aware of the Triad. Tom Kellogg and Jim Redcay, among a few others, were builders for Signatures in that part of the '80s. Other skilled builders did the later work (always hand made), though that can get a little murky.

It's crazy to hear that someone, anyone, has a Triad, let alone a Super Record-equipped Signature Road Criterium. And a 63cm! As such, you very much have my attention! Is your 63cm frame a center-to-top or center-to-center measurement? What is the top tube length? Were any frame angles listed or provided?
The seat tube is 63 cm center to top and the top tube is 60 cm. To be clear, it is equipped with a mix of Shimano Dura-Ace and Shimano 600 (thanks to another forum member for correcting me as I originally said some of the components were Shimano 105). I don't know the angles.

I have an appointment to take it in to Joe Bell tomorrow for a complete refurbish and to keep for myself unless someone is willing to "make me an offer I can't refuse" as is. One major imperfection on the underside of the top tube paint; maybe an energy drink leaked on to it. A few minor imperfections elsewhere.
kilimanjaro98 is offline  
Old 07-24-19, 11:22 AM
  #20  
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger
 
RiddleOfSteel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 4,293

Bikes: 1989 Schwinn Paramount OS - 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1985 Schwinn Voyageur SP - 1989 Cannondale SR - 2006 Orbea Onix

Mentioned: 212 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1409 Post(s)
Liked 1,518 Times in 774 Posts
Originally Posted by kilimanjaro98 View Post
The seat tube is 63 cm center to top and the top tube is 60 cm. To be clear, it is equipped with a mix of Shimano Dura-Ace and Shimano 600 (thanks to another forum member for correcting me as I originally said some of the components were Shimano 105). I don't know the angles.

I have an appointment to take it in to Joe Bell tomorrow for a complete refurbish and to keep for myself unless someone is willing to "make me an offer I can't refuse" as is. One major imperfection on the underside of the top tube paint; maybe an energy drink leaked on to it. A few minor imperfections elsewhere.
Pretty long frame for the height--you will have to post pictures of it, past or present, just so we can admire it!
RiddleOfSteel is offline  
Old 07-24-19, 11:57 AM
  #21  
Hudson308 
Mr. Anachronism
 
Hudson308's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Somewhere west of Tobie's
Posts: 2,088

Bikes: fillet-brazed Chicago Schwinns, and some other stuff

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 524 Post(s)
Liked 247 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by RiddleOfSteel View Post
Pretty long frame for the height--you will have to post pictures of it, past or present, just so we can admire it!
Yes!!! We'd love to see some "before" pics!!!
__________________
"My only true wisdom is in knowing I have none" -Socrates
Hudson308 is offline  
Old 07-26-19, 06:17 PM
  #22  
kilimanjaro98
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Southern California
Posts: 15

Bikes: Storck Scenero, Ross Signature Triad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Wow. Thanks for the interest and input. As it turns out after considering the options I have decided to refurbish the bike and keep it. I took it into Joe Bell in San Diego this week - great guy. He spent a couple of hours with me going over shades of paint color, modification ideas, etc.

For those interested in the details, I have decided to return it to its original pink color with recreated Ross decals.. I have also decided to update it as much as possible - widen the space between the rear dropouts to accommodate 21st century gearing, switch to brake handle shifters, etc. I know the vintage crowd is going to berate me for desecrating the temple, but I am already going to get ridiculed for being so slow while riding such a flashy colored bike, so what's a little more abuse.

I attempted to post pictures, but this site will not allow me because I do not have the minimum number of posts necessary to reach that inner circle status. Sorry. If I somehow pass the audition process, I'll post them.
kilimanjaro98 is offline  
Old 07-26-19, 06:57 PM
  #23  
hazetguy 
saddle angle optimizer
 
hazetguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 364
Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1530 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1,781 Times in 884 Posts
pic assist https://www.bikeforums.net/g/album/14652517

Is this you riding it?




Last edited by hazetguy; 07-26-19 at 07:02 PM.
hazetguy is offline  
Old 07-26-19, 07:01 PM
  #24  
kilimanjaro98
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Southern California
Posts: 15

Bikes: Storck Scenero, Ross Signature Triad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Yes!!!!! I don't know how these pictures got there because the site told me "no can do" when I attempted. The riding picture is its original pink 1986. The red was when I was dropping it off to Joe. It still won't let me post others.
kilimanjaro98 is offline  
Old 07-26-19, 07:06 PM
  #25  
due ruote 
Senior Member
 
due ruote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 7,604
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 458 Times in 278 Posts
You are in good company with the updating. The 7k+ posters on this thread will have your back.
Retro roadies- old frames with STI's or Ergos
due ruote is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.