Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Can anyone explain...

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Can anyone explain...

Old 04-12-14, 08:04 AM
  #1  
Italuminium
Cisalpinist
Thread Starter
 
Italuminium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Holland
Posts: 5,556

Bikes: blue ones.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Can anyone explain...

Why Campagnolo Veloce Ergopower brifters are cheaper than Sora's, but Veloce RD's are more expensive than Ultegra RD's? Just a little observation... I'm somewhat stumped by these pricing oddities.

It seems that all those Shimergo guys are right all along: Campagnolo shifters with Shimano RD's, wheels and cassettes are the cheapest way to get a brifter bike.
Italuminium is offline  
Old 04-12-14, 08:14 AM
  #2  
repechage
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 17,393
Mentioned: 113 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2386 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 986 Posts
Shimano has more flexibility on pricing. Campagnolo being so much smaller, each assembly has to pay its way.
repechage is offline  
Old 04-12-14, 08:24 AM
  #3  
gomango 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: STP
Posts: 15,203
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked 221 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by Italuminium View Post
Why Campagnolo Veloce Ergopower brifters are cheaper than Sora's, but Veloce RD's are more expensive than Ultegra RD's? Just a little observation... I'm somewhat stumped by these pricing oddities.

It seems that all those Shimergo guys are right all along: Campagnolo shifters with Shimano RD's, wheels and cassettes are the cheapest way to get a brifter bike.
Nothing wrong at all going with the lower cost Shimergo route, especially for x bikes.

I wouldn't discount the used Campy route though.

I picked up a complete 2009 Centaur group last night for less than $250.

Maybe it was pure luck, but I had answered an ad locally two months ago and he had the groupset at a higher price so I passed.

It never sold and he called me back to sell it at my "offer" price.

It's going on a friend's Ridley x bike this afternoon.

Last edited by gomango; 04-12-14 at 08:38 AM.
gomango is offline  
Old 04-12-14, 08:26 AM
  #4  
gomango 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: STP
Posts: 15,203
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked 221 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage View Post
Shimano has more flexibility on pricing. Campagnolo being so much smaller, each assembly has to pay its way.
They do have to pay their own way, but watch closely for the next year as Campy shuffles their lineup just a bit. Probably one group, maybe another will be discontinued. Always great deals when groups are nixed.
gomango is offline  
Old 04-12-14, 12:19 PM
  #5  
Italuminium
Cisalpinist
Thread Starter
 
Italuminium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Holland
Posts: 5,556

Bikes: blue ones.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by gomango View Post
They do have to pay their own way, but watch closely for the next year as Campy shuffles their lineup just a bit. Probably one group, maybe another will be discontinued. Always great deals when groups are nixed.
good advice Grady. Postponing the project to next year gives me a good time to save up for some really choice bits too.
Italuminium is offline  
Old 04-12-14, 12:32 PM
  #6  
fietsbob
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Posts: 43,599

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,331 Times in 839 Posts
30 years ago Campagnolo was what 3rd party companies copied, now they try to make their stuff Shimano like.


My touring bike in the mid 80's got parts from when Campag admitted defeat, and gave up the MTB sector, entirely .
fietsbob is offline  
Old 04-12-14, 12:36 PM
  #7  
gomango 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: STP
Posts: 15,203
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked 221 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by Italuminium View Post
good advice Grady. Postponing the project to next year gives me a good time to save up for some really choice bits too.
The sweet spot for me is still 10 speed Chorus. Great performance, looks good and cheap.

Deals are out there on lightly used Chorus groups.
gomango is offline  
Old 04-12-14, 12:46 PM
  #8  
Chrome Molly 
Senior Member
 
Chrome Molly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Forksbent, MN
Posts: 3,271

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 14 Times in 14 Posts
Agree chorus is Campy's best deal going as far as their whole gruppos goes. The veloce brifters are essentially disposable. They can be "re-cored" but that one part costs about as much as a whole new set with fresh cables. The chorus on up brifters can be rebulit.

Though, on the budget end there is quite a bit to be said for Veloce pulling an Ultegra RD. It really is a sweet combination for the amount of $'s involved. Ultegra RD's really aren't tangibly outperformed by anything.

The real deals right about now are some of the higher end 10 speed wheelsets, since everything is going 11 speed. Buy a 10 speed wheelset for your 8 speed cassette, then add in the ultegra RD and veloce brifters and you have a real freshening up of a nice 80's steel ride.
Chrome Molly is offline  
Old 04-12-14, 01:46 PM
  #9  
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race
 
dddd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern California
Posts: 8,395

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 118 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1220 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 505 Posts
I figure that, since Shimano's brifters not only aren't rebuildable, but also that they expire just from sitting in the garage, that there is a relative scarcity of Shimano brifters in the marketplace versus Shimano rear derailers.

Whereas, with Campy, the Ergolevers on all of the seldom-used bikes that eventually get sold, with some of these bikes being parted out as "parts available" on the market, are still serviceable years longer than would be Shimano's brifters.

Also, in the past, with Campagnolo having used wider cassettes and thus a closer sprocket-to-spokes distance on their rear hubs, many a Campag rear derailer met it's maker after being shifted into the spokes.
This has resulted in a relative scarcity of Campag rear derailers versus Campag Ergolevers available.

Lastly, with Shimano offering MTB derailers, many of these get substituted for a bike's original Road derailer, leaving a few more Shimano road rear derailers looking for a home.
dddd is offline  
Old 04-12-14, 02:09 PM
  #10  
gomango 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: STP
Posts: 15,203
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked 221 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by Chrome Molly View Post
Agree chorus is Campy's best deal going as far as their whole gruppos goes. The veloce brifters are essentially disposable. They can be "re-cored" but that one part costs about as much as a whole new set with fresh cables. The chorus on up brifters can be rebulit.

Though, on the budget end there is quite a bit to be said for Veloce pulling an Ultegra RD. It really is a sweet combination for the amount of $'s involved. Ultegra RD's really aren't tangibly outperformed by anything.

The real deals right about now are some of the higher end 10 speed wheelsets, since everything is going 11 speed. Buy a 10 speed wheelset for your 8 speed cassette, then add in the ultegra RD and veloce brifters and you have a real freshening up of a nice 80's steel ride.
Good point on Ultegra.

Makes me wonder why one would go to DA now that 6800 is out there.

Loads of trickle down value at that price point.
gomango is offline  
Old 04-12-14, 02:24 PM
  #11  
Italuminium
Cisalpinist
Thread Starter
 
Italuminium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Holland
Posts: 5,556

Bikes: blue ones.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by gomango View Post
The sweet spot for me is still 10 speed Chorus. Great performance, looks good and cheap.

Deals are out there on lightly used Chorus groups.
threw in my hat on just such a gruppo today Maladvertised, so I might just score a deal there. I've done it twice before, netting a Daytona group and a real nice Centaur one with Daytona/CXP33 wheels.
Italuminium is offline  
Old 04-12-14, 02:40 PM
  #12  
gomango 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: STP
Posts: 15,203
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked 221 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by Italuminium View Post
threw in my hat on just such a gruppo today Maladvertised, so I might just score a deal there. I've done it twice before, netting a Daytona group and a real nice Centaur one with Daytona/CXP33 wheels.
I hope you get it.

The deals do pop up, so we'll cross our fingers.

I am assuming this is for your fancy new Somec frameset?
gomango is offline  
Old 04-13-14, 01:16 AM
  #13  
Italuminium
Cisalpinist
Thread Starter
 
Italuminium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Holland
Posts: 5,556

Bikes: blue ones.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by gomango View Post
I hope you get it.

The deals do pop up, so we'll cross our fingers.

I am assuming this is for your fancy new Somec frameset?
Yes, for the Somec. Definitely not a frame to build up with parts bin deore/tiagra
Italuminium is offline  
Old 04-13-14, 05:27 AM
  #14  
gomango 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: STP
Posts: 15,203
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked 221 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by Italuminium View Post
Yes, for the Somec. Definitely not a frame to build up with parts bin deore/tiagra
Do you have a special wheelset in mind?

Does the owner of the groupset also have an appropriate wheelset?

Never hurts to ask them.
gomango is offline  
Old 04-13-14, 07:41 AM
  #15  
Italuminium
Cisalpinist
Thread Starter
 
Italuminium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Holland
Posts: 5,556

Bikes: blue ones.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by gomango View Post
Do you have a special wheelset in mind?

Does the owner of the groupset also have an appropriate wheelset?

Never hurts to ask them.
yeah, I learned that asking people what they haven't put online yet pays off! the other day I bought an Icarus front hub, and asked if he had any more Campy MTB stuff lying around. Turned out he only posted the BB's and headsets he had, but not the brake parts, since "nobody runs canti's anymore". That got me some perfect Icarus levers too.

Wheelset is undecided yet: I do have a nice set of Zonda's I can swap in, or a more classic combo of Daytona hubs and Mavic rims. I also picked up a pair of 20/24 Novatec hubs, just because they were cheap and local. I could build those into a pair of mock Shamals with some shiny 38 mm rims.
Italuminium is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
samaaron
General Cycling Discussion
3
06-11-19 01:55 PM
malcala622
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
4
10-22-16 07:23 AM
Syscrush
Bicycle Mechanics
36
07-19-16 11:28 AM
littlebeetle
Road Cycling
2
12-03-14 11:54 PM
adam_mac84
General Cycling Discussion
11
08-07-11 10:19 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.