Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

pizza man delivers . . .

Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

pizza man delivers . . .

Reply

Old 12-22-04, 10:47 AM
  #1  
billh
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
billh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: St Louis, MO
Posts: 1,254
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
pizza man delivers . . .

What would you do, if anything, in the situation I encountered last night? I was riding home from work like I always do, 6:20pm, dark residential street, light traffic, 2 wide lanes; I was riding perhaps a foot off the gutter pan, straight line, brightly lit with three red blinkies and an ankle blinkie, 6W dual beam on the front. A car pulls up close to me on my left, window rolled down, and a young male voice says "Sidewalk", then zooms away. I notice it has a Papa Johns pizza sign on top and I get the first 3 digits of the license plate. What would you do, if anything?
billh is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-04, 10:50 AM
  #2  
rykoala
Senior Member
 
rykoala's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 2,013
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You could obviously either call them and complain, or you could call and ask to talk to the young man and inform him of cyclists rights to the road. Or you could just let it go (I would).
rykoala is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-04, 10:53 AM
  #3  
Ebbtide
Senior Member
 
Ebbtide's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Ohio's Cycling Capital, America's North Coast.
Posts: 4,617
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Call the Papa Johns in that area and complain.
Ebbtide is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-04, 11:06 AM
  #4  
gcasillo
Maglia Ciclamino
 
gcasillo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Fairfield, OH
Posts: 3,072

Bikes: 2011 Bianchi Infinito, 2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Nothing. The temptation is always to escalate. At this very moment, what does it matter that this fool told you to ride on the sidewalk? Zero. Continue on your way and patronize other pizza joints.
gcasillo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-04, 11:09 AM
  #5  
Dahon.Steve
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 7,133
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Originally Posted by billh
What would you do, if anything, in the situation I encountered last night? I was riding home from work like I always do, 6:20pm, dark residential street, light traffic, 2 wide lanes; I was riding perhaps a foot off the gutter pan, straight line, brightly lit with three red blinkies and an ankle blinkie, 6W dual beam on the front. A car pulls up close to me on my left, window rolled down, and a young male voice says "Sidewalk", then zooms away. I notice it has a Papa Johns pizza sign on top and I get the first 3 digits of the license plate. What would you do, if anything?
It depends on how he stated the word Sidewalk. If he looked angry like he might want to do something the next time, you should call the local Papa Johns and tell them what happened. He might be giving you a warning of what might come next time you get in his way!
Dahon.Steve is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-04, 11:11 AM
  #6  
Seamless
Peddler
 
Seamless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 337

Bikes: Cannondale Road Warrior 800 & H400

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Originally Posted by billh
A car pulls up close to me on my left, window rolled down, and a young male voice says "Sidewalk", then zooms away. I notice it has a Papa Johns pizza sign on top and I get the first 3 digits of the license plate. What would you do, if anything?
Ride your bike to Papa Johns, open the door, and say "Pizza! Pizza!"

The driver probably did not only do this to you, and may even do it again if he sees you (it's your regular route, he probably works about the same time). You might inquire of the manager if they have a policy of harassing law-observing bike riders, because if they do you are considering whether to organize a consumer boycott. If they don't have a safe driver company policy that includes bikes, find out if they will post a notice in the empoyee area advising that bike riders are permitted on the street. Give him the license plate info and ask him to get back to you with the results of his investigation.

A letter from the local bike federation could carry some weight. Cc the Papa Johns home office franchise relations and legal departments.
Seamless is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-04, 11:12 AM
  #7  
super-douper
Powered by PB&J
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: San Jose, CA, USA
Posts: 521
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'd call it "educate" instead of "complain". This person doesn't know the laws, and would benefit from somebody politely educating him. You might also give the Papa John's manager a head's up that their drivers might need clarification on the rules of the roads. Specifically safe distances to give cyclists. If the wheels start to turn in the heads about the kind of money it would cost them if one of their drivers injured a cyclist they'll take it seriously.

You could take it a step further and write a letter to the Papa John's manager and their corp office. But whatever you do, please try to keep it friendly....in situations like these we need kind ambadors. (notice I left the ASS out of ambassador)

But, like ryko, personally i'd probably just let it go.
super-douper is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-04, 11:16 AM
  #8  
nick burns
Senior Member
 
nick burns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Absecon, NJ
Posts: 2,947

Bikes: Puch Luzern, Puch Mistral SLE, Bianchi Pista, Motobecane Grand Touring, Austro-Daimler Ultima, Legnano, Raleigh MountainTour, Cannondale SM600

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Call up & order a pizza. When he delivers it, give him a copy of your state's road regulations in place of a tip
nick burns is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-04, 11:16 AM
  #9  
joeprim
Senior Member
 
joeprim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Northern Neck Tidewater Va.
Posts: 1,688
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Seamless
Ride your bike to Papa Johns, open the door, and say "Pizza! Pizza!"

The driver probably did not only do this to you, and may even do it again if he sees you (it's your regular route, he probably works about the same time). You might inquire of the manager if they have a policy of harassing law-observing bike riders, because if they do you are considering whether to organize a consumer boycott. If they don't have a safe driver company policy that includes bikes, find out if they will post a notice in the empoyee area advising that bike riders are permitted on the street. Give him the license plate info and ask him to get back to you with the results of his investigation.

A letter from the local bike federation could carry some weight. Cc the Papa Johns home office franchise relations and legal departments.
This is deinitely a last resort. Just saying sidewalk doesn't warrent this kind of attack. It might pay to gently educate the driver or to let it go unless it happens again.

Joe
joeprim is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-04, 11:16 AM
  #10  
nklatt
Commuter
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: St Paul, MN
Posts: 33

Bikes: Gitane De Luxe conversion fixie, 1972 Sting-Ray, 1972 Schwinn 10-speed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think Seamless has the right idea. Very productive.
nklatt is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-04, 11:27 AM
  #11  
bobfe
Commuter
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 45

Bikes: Giant OCR2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Originally Posted by billh
What would you do, if anything, in the situation I encountered last night? I was riding home from work like I always do, 6:20pm, dark residential street, light traffic, 2 wide lanes; I was riding perhaps a foot off the gutter pan, straight line, brightly lit with three red blinkies and an ankle blinkie, 6W dual beam on the front. A car pulls up close to me on my left, window rolled down, and a young male voice says "Sidewalk", then zooms away. I notice it has a Papa Johns pizza sign on top and I get the first 3 digits of the license plate. What would you do, if anything?


If he worked for me, I'd want to know about it. I would let the local manager know about it. If his driving wasn't actually agresssive, I would make sure the manager knew about that too.
bobfe is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-04, 12:01 PM
  #12  
monogodo
NFL Owner
 
monogodo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Irving Heritage District
Posts: 1,488

Bikes: 7-Eleven Eddy Merckx, Vitus Futural, Catamount FRS, Colnago SL, SS MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Originally Posted by nick burns
Call up & order a pizza. When he delivers it, give him a copy of your state's road regulations in place of a tip
I like this idea.
monogodo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-04, 12:10 PM
  #13  
Daily Commute
Ride the Road
 
Daily Commute's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 4,059

Bikes: Surly Cross-Check; hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I agree with the folks who say report him to the manager. If you get the run-around, write to all franchises in the delivery area, as well as any headquarters office. In my town, pizza delivery places make an effort to keep good relations with the neighbors, especially when it comes to driver behavior. And for insurance purposes, they keep a tight reign on drivers when they receive complaints.

But don't overblow what the driver did. He was a jerk, that's it. He didn't throw anything. He didn't cut you off.

Unfortunately, the manager might be more concerned about the "zooming off" part than anything else.

Last edited by Daily Commute; 12-22-04 at 12:17 PM.
Daily Commute is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-04, 12:34 PM
  #14  
Laggard
Lance Hater
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 4,403
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Wait... All he said was "sidewalk?" That's it?

I personally wouldn't waste my time.
Laggard is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-04, 12:38 PM
  #15  
Ya Tu Sabes
Rebel Thousandaire
 
Ya Tu Sabes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Hartford, CT
Posts: 733

Bikes: Public D8, Yuba Mundo (cargo), Novara Buzz (1-speed, soon to be 2-speed w/ a kickback hub), Xootr 1-speed folder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Laggard
I personally wouldn't waste my time.
Yeah, I agree. If you get a chance, right in the instant, to say something witty (e.g. "get deez nuts"), then do it, but once the guy speeds off, let it go.
Ya Tu Sabes is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-04, 12:50 PM
  #16  
wildjim
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by nick burns
Call up & order a pizza. When he delivers it, give him a copy of your state's road regulations in place of a tip
If he could arrange that pizza delivery person to be there, that is brilliant.

I personally would also give the driver the proper tip as no one needs enemies in this crazy world. . .
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-04, 01:00 PM
  #17  
simplygib
Senior Member
 
simplygib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Grants Pass, Oregon
Posts: 669

Bikes: Hard Rock Sport, Peugeot Triathlon, Schwinn Paramount Series 7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Originally Posted by super-douper
I'd call it "educate" instead of "complain". This person doesn't know the laws, and would benefit from somebody politely educating him. You might also give the Papa John's manager a head's up that their drivers might need clarification on the rules of the roads. Specifically safe distances to give cyclists. If the wheels start to turn in the heads about the kind of money it would cost them if one of their drivers injured a cyclist they'll take it seriously.

You could take it a step further and write a letter to the Papa John's manager and their corp office. But whatever you do, please try to keep it friendly....in situations like these we need kind ambadors. (notice I left the ASS out of ambassador)

But, like ryko, personally i'd probably just let it go.
I agree, but I wouldn't let it go. Seems to me the perfect opportunity to educate someone on the rules of the road, especially someone whose primary job is to be driving. You might want to write the local store, and maybe the corporate public relations department as well. Tell them the general details (no need to get specific about the driver - if he wasn't actually driving dangerously) and include a quote from your State's vehicle code book regarding bike laws. An organization that employs lots and lots of drivers should take seriously any vehicle code ignorance displayed by their employees.

If this guy was irritated with you enough to roll down the window and say something, who knows what he will do after being angered countless more times by these "scofflaw" cyclists who keep using "his" roads?
simplygib is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-04, 01:10 PM
  #18  
nick burns
Senior Member
 
nick burns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Absecon, NJ
Posts: 2,947

Bikes: Puch Luzern, Puch Mistral SLE, Bianchi Pista, Motobecane Grand Touring, Austro-Daimler Ultima, Legnano, Raleigh MountainTour, Cannondale SM600

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Originally Posted by wildjim
If he could arrange that pizza delivery person to be there, that is brilliant.
Yeah, that could take a lot of orders before he finally scored the right delivery guy. Too bad it would have to be Papa Johns pizza
No offense to those who like Papa Johns, I just happen to live in an area rich with excellent Italian pizza joints
nick burns is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-04, 01:19 PM
  #19  
operator
cab horn
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Toronto
Posts: 28,321

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Educate? Is this actually possible? I am shocked.
operator is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-04, 01:43 PM
  #20  
peterm5365
Senior Member
 
peterm5365's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 243
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Originally Posted by operator
Educate? Is this actually possible? I am shocked.
I believe it most often comes at the end of a baseball bat. I would say leave it alone unless it happens again. If you complain he's likely to lose his job. I'd say that ignorance is no reason not to be allowed to deliver pizza.
peterm5365 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-04, 01:48 PM
  #21  
umpadumpy
Senior Member
 
umpadumpy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 206

Bikes: 1978 Rampar R-10 BMX, 1988 Specialized Hardrock, 1999 Mongoose Hoop D, 2001 Schwinn Predator BMX, Generic Beach Cruiser

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Maybe he was doing verbal advertising for their new line of "Sidewalk Fresh Deli Style Crisp Crust New York Pizzas." But before he could get the rest out of his mouth he swallowed his crack pipe.
umpadumpy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-04, 02:02 PM
  #22  
nick burns
Senior Member
 
nick burns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Absecon, NJ
Posts: 2,947

Bikes: Puch Luzern, Puch Mistral SLE, Bianchi Pista, Motobecane Grand Touring, Austro-Daimler Ultima, Legnano, Raleigh MountainTour, Cannondale SM600

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Originally Posted by umpadumpy
Maybe he was doing verbal advertising for their new line of "Sidewalk Fresh Deli Style Crisp Crust New York Pizzas." But before he could get the rest out of his mouth he swallowed his crack pipe.
now that's funny
nick burns is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-04, 02:13 PM
  #23  
KleinRider
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: GA
Posts: 537

Bikes: '95 Klein Attitude and Quantum, '92 Trek 830

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Originally Posted by nklatt
I think Seamless has the right idea. Very productive.
I don't. (well, the part about saying "Pizza, Pizza" in the door is good!)

The important part about "informing" the manager is to keep it "friendly". To try an organize a boycott would only end up making you (whoever was trying to do it) look like an idiot. Face it, the majority of people do think bicycles belong on the sidewalk, so why would they not do business with this place because a kid told you where you "belonged"?

I think super-douper has it right...
KleinRider is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-04, 02:22 PM
  #24  
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE
 
Raiyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Posts: 15,061

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'd take it to the manager of the local Papa John's. Keep in mind that the Founder of Papa John's was assaulted while cycling If the manager of this location is unwilling to help go to corporate level, based on the fact that "Papa" John Schnatter is himslef an avid cyclist and would want to promote positive relations with the cycling community.
__________________
Raiyn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-04, 02:29 PM
  #25  
nick burns
Senior Member
 
nick burns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Absecon, NJ
Posts: 2,947

Bikes: Puch Luzern, Puch Mistral SLE, Bianchi Pista, Motobecane Grand Touring, Austro-Daimler Ultima, Legnano, Raleigh MountainTour, Cannondale SM600

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Raiyn
I'd take it to the manager of the local Papa John's. Keep in mind that the Founder of Papa John's was assaulted while cycling If the manager of this location is unwilling to help go to corporate level, based on the fact that "Papa" John Schnatter is himslef an avid cyclist and would want to promote positive relations with the cycling community.
Oh yeah, I forgot about that. What great ammo
nick burns is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service