Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Fitting rear rack and mudguards

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Fitting rear rack and mudguards

Old 08-23-12, 06:27 AM
  #1  
giskard
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 328

Bikes: Kona Jake the Snake

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fitting rear rack and mudguards

My 2010 Kona Jake the Snake has two threaded mounts for both rack and mudguard on each side of the rear dropouts. After the frame cracked and a warranty claim, Kona have supplied a replacement frame but it's the 2012 frame which has only one threaded mount on each or the the rear dropouts, so I can't easily mount both a rear mudguard and a rear rack on the 2012 frame.

This is quite surprising: surely the reason for updating a frame is to make it better, not (even slightly) worse? Kona say the Jake the Snake makes a great commuter bike. For me, choosing between having a rack or mudguards isn't an option - I need both, just as I had on my 2010 Jake the Snake, which is a great commuter and all-round bike! Anyway...

The screws supplied with the rack and mudguards don't allow them to be fitted on the single rear-dropout mounting holes at the same time.

Is there any easy way I can fit both the mudguards and rack onto the 2012 frame? I could use longer screws if I can find the exact correct length but that's proving to be a problem here in the UK and also, would it be safe to fit both items using one mounting point?

I am curious as to why Kona have only provided one mounting hole on the latest frames whereas the 2010 frame had two?
giskard is offline  
Old 08-23-12, 06:35 AM
  #2  
MichaelW
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: England
Posts: 12,948
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It is perfectly safe to mount rack and mudguards onto one eyelet. My commuter bike is like this, I have hauled heavy shopping and used the bike for many years.
Fit a long stainless steel allen bole of the correct length. I prefer mine to protrude about 1-2 threads. Fit the rack first then the mudguard stay then a washer. You can add a star anti-rotation washer if you want.
Any bikeshop or hardware shop should have the correct allen bolt.
MichaelW is offline  
Old 08-23-12, 07:17 AM
  #3  
Big Lebowski
Senior Member
 
Big Lebowski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 328

Bikes: Trek 9th District, CAAD 10, Crux

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fitting rear rack and mudguards

Or, you can get a small bag of bolts on Amazon. Also, you always use a dab of Locktite 242 on the threads. It provides a good hold on threads, but allows one to unscrew it later. (I.e. - it is not permanent)
Big Lebowski is offline  
Old 08-23-12, 08:17 AM
  #4  
Mr. Hairy Legs
Super-spreader
 
Mr. Hairy Legs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: where black is the color, where none is the number
Posts: 887

Bikes: shiny red tricycle

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 97 Posts
Just look around your bike stuff drawer and you may even have the right length screws/bolts. Maybe even the ones from your water bottle holes on the frame?

As mentioned above, make sure the rack goes on first, otherwise you will bend the screws.
Mr. Hairy Legs is offline  
Old 08-23-12, 08:38 AM
  #5  
CliftonGK1
Senior Member
 
CliftonGK1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 11,375

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by giskard View Post
Is there any easy way I can fit both the mudguards and rack onto the 2012 frame? I could use longer screws if I can find the exact correct length but that's proving to be a problem here in the UK and also, would it be safe to fit both items using one mounting point?
I'd use the eyelets for the rack mounting, and then a set of P-clips for the fender mounts.

Originally Posted by giskard View Post
I am curious as to why Kona have only provided one mounting hole on the latest frames whereas the 2010 frame had two?
The JTS is designed as a jack-of-all-trades, and one of those trades is CX racing. It's rare you'll see anyone racing with fenders or a rack. It does many things "OK" but none of them perfectly. The new model is a bit more geared toward racing than the 2010 model, but overall it has never been strictly a commuter bike.

I've got a 2011 RL Conquest Pro which is a similar bike; Alu/CF, and it too has only a single eyeletted rear.
__________________
"I feel like my world was classier before I found cyclocross."
- Mandi M.
CliftonGK1 is offline  
Old 08-23-12, 08:48 AM
  #6  
rumrunn6
Senior Member
 
rumrunn6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 25 miles northwest of Boston
Posts: 24,993

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3759 Post(s)
Liked 903 Times in 634 Posts
p clips are versatile and some racks come with them as an option. my current rack did (white Botecchia has no that right no eyelets!) (no close up availabe) the other pics show a front rack that I used for a while and also the top mounting of a rack using the clips. I like the idea of separate connections in case adjustments or changes are desired.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
compression clamps.jpg (35.5 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg
front rack clamp2.jpg (31.6 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg
front rack clamp1.jpg (7.0 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg
front rack5.jpg (13.7 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg
DSC_8302.jpg (88.6 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg
the ride.jpg (102.8 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg
botecchia.jpg (22.3 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg
abc 001 bike 0830.jpg (99.0 KB, 13 views)
rumrunn6 is offline  
Old 08-23-12, 12:25 PM
  #7  
Altair 4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Along the Rivers of Pittsburgh
Posts: 1,116

Bikes: 2011 Novara Forza Hybrid, 2005 Trek 820, 1989 Cannondale SR500 Black Lightning, 1975 Mundo Cycles Caloi Racer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Lebowski View Post
Or, you can get a small bag of bolts on Amazon.
Ace Hardware is my source for M5 and M6 bolts. The local store carries a nice variety of lengths and suitable washers in stainless steel. I think they carry nuts for them, as well, but I can't swear to it.
Altair 4 is offline  
Old 08-23-12, 12:55 PM
  #8  
Andy_K 
Senior Member
 
Andy_K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Beaverton, OR
Posts: 13,132

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 378 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2256 Post(s)
Liked 920 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by Altair 4 View Post
Ace Hardware is my source for M5 and M6 bolts. The local store carries a nice variety of lengths and suitable washers in stainless steel. I think they carry nuts for them, as well, but I can't swear to it.
I get mine at Ace too, but I don't like the finish on them. They're ugly.

Anyone have a source for M4/5/6 bolts with a decent finish?
__________________
My Bikes
Andy_K is offline  
Old 08-23-12, 01:16 PM
  #9  
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer
 
no1mad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NE OK
Posts: 8,852

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Altair 4 View Post
Ace Hardware is my source for M5 and M6 bolts. The local store carries a nice variety of lengths and suitable washers in stainless steel. I think they carry nuts for them, as well, but I can't swear to it.
The OP is in the UK, so not sure Ace is the place for him... but it is for me .

I run a rack and fenders on the same eyelet at the drop out. Finding frames with double eyelets (in my price range, anyway) is a very time consuming process these days.
__________________
Community guidelines
no1mad is offline  
Old 08-23-12, 01:18 PM
  #10  
rumrunn6
Senior Member
 
rumrunn6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 25 miles northwest of Boston
Posts: 24,993

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3759 Post(s)
Liked 903 Times in 634 Posts
The Home Depot I work at PT has them in black I think up to 40mm or even 50mm in length. I don't work isle 18 but was there the other night helping a guy similar bolts. I think he wanted M6 but long like 30mm or 40mm and I remember seeing other sizes and longer ones too.
rumrunn6 is offline  
Old 08-23-12, 01:41 PM
  #11  
mulveyr 
Senior Member
 
mulveyr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: In the wilds of NY
Posts: 1,567

Bikes: Box Dog Pelican, Raleigh Sojourn, Specialized Secteur, 1991 Cannondale tandem

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by giskard View Post
My 2010 Kona Jake the Snake has two threaded mounts for both rack and mudguard on each side of the rear dropouts. After the frame cracked and a warranty claim, Kona have supplied a replacement frame but it's the 2012 frame which has only one threaded mount on each or the the rear dropouts, so I can't easily mount both a rear mudguard and a rear rack on the 2012 frame.

This is quite surprising: surely the reason for updating a frame is to make it better, not (even slightly) worse? Kona say the Jake the Snake makes a great commuter bike. For me, choosing between having a rack or mudguards isn't an option - I need both, just as I had on my 2010 Jake the Snake, which is a great commuter and all-round bike! Anyway...

The screws supplied with the rack and mudguards don't allow them to be fitted on the single rear-dropout mounting holes at the same time.

Is there any easy way I can fit both the mudguards and rack onto the 2012 frame? I could use longer screws if I can find the exact correct length but that's proving to be a problem here in the UK and also, would it be safe to fit both items using one mounting point?

I am curious as to why Kona have only provided one mounting hole on the latest frames whereas the 2010 frame had two?
You don't need to find a a bolt that fits exactly. Just get one that's too long and you can cut it to the proper length in 10 seconds with a hacksaw.
__________________
Knows the weight of my bike to the nearest 10 pounds.
mulveyr is offline  
Old 08-23-12, 06:08 PM
  #12  
mtb123
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 109
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K View Post
I get mine at Ace too, but I don't like the finish on them. They're ugly.

Anyone have a source for M4/5/6 bolts with a decent finish?
The local Ace here carries at least three different finishes. I like the stainless steel version
mtb123 is offline  
Old 08-23-12, 06:20 PM
  #13  
Andy_K 
Senior Member
 
Andy_K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Beaverton, OR
Posts: 13,132

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 378 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2256 Post(s)
Liked 920 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb123 View Post
The local Ace here carries at least three different finishes. I like the stainless steel version
My local Ace used to have smooth stainless head bolts -- not particularly shiny, but not ugly. I haven't seen them in a couple of years. Now it's either black (which isn't too awful) and the silver ones with ribs around the head (which I guess might also be stainless).
__________________
My Bikes
Andy_K is offline  
Old 08-24-12, 01:43 AM
  #14  
giskard
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 328

Bikes: Kona Jake the Snake

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Hairy Legs View Post
Just look around your bike stuff drawer and you may even have the right length screws/bolts. Maybe even the ones from your water bottle holes on the frame?

As mentioned above, make sure the rack goes on first, otherwise you will bend the screws.
Ha! You're assuming I have a bike stuff drawer?
giskard is offline  
Old 08-24-12, 02:06 AM
  #15  
MichaelW
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: England
Posts: 12,948
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I dont like the idea of using P clips when you have perfectly usable threaded eyelets. Once setup, you never need to adjust rack and fender. P clips are an ugly hack to be used only where neccessary and they are another nook and cranny where dirt gathers.

To cut a bolt you need a bench vice and a hacksaw and metal file , or a dremel. You have to finish a hacksaw cut with a file to clean up the threads. Always cut on the long side.
Long protruding bolts may interfere with the chain in the smallest sprocket so file back where needed.
MichaelW is offline  
Old 08-24-12, 11:04 AM
  #16  
giskard
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 328

Bikes: Kona Jake the Snake

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks to everyone for your help and advice.

I don't have a bench or many tools for that matter so I'll probably end up getting my LBS to fit the rack and mudguards.
giskard is offline  
Old 08-24-12, 11:11 AM
  #17  
hubcap
One Man Fast Brick
 
hubcap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 1,121

Bikes: Specialized Langster, Bianchi San Jose, early 90s GT Karakoram, Yuba Mundo, Mercier Nano (mini velo), Nashbar Steel Commuter, KHS Tandemania Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by giskard View Post
Ha! You're assuming I have a bike stuff drawer?
If you don't have a bike stuff drawer, box, bin, cabinet, paper bag, or whatever - then you need more bike stuff!
hubcap is offline  
Old 08-24-12, 11:59 AM
  #18  
rumrunn6
Senior Member
 
rumrunn6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 25 miles northwest of Boston
Posts: 24,993

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3759 Post(s)
Liked 903 Times in 634 Posts
re: "I'll probably end up getting my LBS to fit the rack and mudguards."

no shame in that, in fact now we're all jealous!
rumrunn6 is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
mooooo
Bicycle Mechanics
6
07-15-20 08:54 AM
scale
Touring
14
10-30-17 03:58 PM
poetman
Bicycle Mechanics
7
07-29-15 08:50 PM
commonmarket
Touring
13
03-16-12 09:01 PM
Shadowex3
Bicycle Mechanics
7
04-18-10 06:08 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.