Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

New Trunk Rack to avoid high spoilers

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 07-22-15, 11:49 AM
dbg
Si Senior

Bikes: Too Numerous (not)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've been increasingly annoyed with my rear hitch rack (Thule Swing-Away 4 bike hitch rack) --mainly because it doesn't fold down and out of the way but also for how heavy it is. I can't leave it on and still fit the van into the garage, and it's a chore for wife/kids to remove it. So when I replaced the minivan this year I did not add a trailer receiver hitch to the new vehicle. Instead I planned to use a Van enabled trunk rack (removeable and light weight, etc)

BUT all these plastic spoilers at the top of newer SUVs and VANs these days get in the way of normal trunk rack mounting straps. SO, with the annual WI trip coming up next week, I had to find a solution. Picture below shows a Hollywood 3-bike trunk version that has an extended riser --allowing it to rise above the high spoiler. I'll update at the end of the trip --but after mounting it yesterday --I like it. It feels very sturdy. It folds nicely out of the way (fits in garage), and it's lightweight and easy enough to remove and store inside the VAN when necessary.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
HRF2_23_1000.jpg (72.2 KB, 42 views)
Old 07-22-15, 12:04 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: 2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by dbg View Post
I've been increasingly annoyed with my rear hitch rack (Thule Swing-Away 4 bike hitch rack) --mainly because it doesn't fold down and out of the way but also for how heavy it is. I can't leave it on and still fit the van into the garage, and it's a chore for wife/kids to remove it. So when I replaced the minivan this year I did not add a trailer receiver hitch to the new vehicle. Instead I planned to use a Van enabled trunk rack (removeable and light weight, etc)

BUT all these plastic spoilers at the top of newer SUVs and VANs these days get in the way of normal trunk rack mounting straps. SO, with the annual WI trip coming up next week, I had to find a solution. Picture below shows a Hollywood 3-bike trunk version that has an extended riser --allowing it to rise above the high spoiler. I'll update at the end of the trip --but after mounting it yesterday --I like it. It feels very sturdy. It folds nicely out of the way (fits in garage), and it's lightweight and easy enough to remove and store inside the VAN when necessary.

One of our members works for Hollywood Racks.

We used that one on the Race Across the West last year, and it worked out great!
Old 07-22-15, 01:50 PM
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395 View Post
One of our members works for Hollywood Racks.
We used that one on the Race Across the West last year, and it worked out great!
That would be me. The rack we have that goes over the wind-deflector spoilers on SUV's, Vans, Station Wagons, Hatchbacks, etc. is the F2-Over the Top.

Here's the link: F2 Over-the-Top Bike Rack - Spoiler Clearance Solution - Bike Racks, Hollywood Racks

Rick / OCRR
Old 07-22-15, 02:03 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: 2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
^ Didn't want to call you out without your permission, Rick.

Awesome rack ... thanks for letting us use it!
Old 07-23-15, 08:13 AM
dbg
Si Senior

Bikes: Too Numerous (not)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love a great solution, and this is one. It can also adjust to fit just about any other vehicle, --so I can shift it around to any of mine or my kids vehicles.