Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Creatine

Old 07-26-15, 05:28 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Creatine

I've been losing weight (fat) these past 3 months at a 2-3lbs per week pace. Each night before bed I will dip into the protein powder for recovery and blood sugar stabilization....good stuff. So when I ran out of Whey Isolate I grabbed for my winter weightlifting blend with Creatine. I know better than to do this but hey, what's 3 nights going to do? There was that familiar craving of water one evening that led me to immediately stop and vow to throw the stuff away.

I had gained 4lbs in 48hrs. Now, let's see how long before I beat a trail to the bathroom to get rid of it. On the good side, my 30mi ride was almost 20min faster than any previous on that route. A huge improvement and was coming down the homestretch at 22mph which never happens.
Old 07-26-15, 05:48 PM
freedomrider1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, you put that much weight on, that fast. Creatine makes you want to lift like a monster. What have you been doing to lose the weight?
Old 07-26-15, 06:28 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by freedomrider1 View Post
Wow, you put that much weight on, that fast. Creatine makes you want to lift like a monster. What have you been doing to lose the weight?
Creatine works. Cycling, not so. Benchpress and muscle leverage is significantly increased by regular use. The directions call for massive hydration and if you dont then you hunt for a water fountain or bottle. This is not a good match when considering the need for water when riding.

I was 172 on Thursday at 2pm and by Saturday at 2pm the scales showed 176.4lbs.

For weight loss, portion control and riding. I was 194lbs last April.
Old 07-26-15, 06:44 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Water weight is GOOD weight for biking. Carbos in general cause your body to store more water. On the flip-side, go carb-free for a few days and you'll lose 10 pounds. Of course carbs are what your body uses for immediate muscle fuel, and you'll gain it back as soon as you resume a normal diet.
Old 07-26-15, 06:52 PM
OldsCOOL

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals View Post
Water weight is GOOD weight for biking. Carbos in general cause your body to store more water. On the flip-side, go carb-free for a few days and you'll lose 10 pounds. Of course carbs are what your body uses for immediate muscle fuel, and you'll gain it back as soon as you resume a normal diet.
Water weight/storage, yes. The demand to gulp large amounts....when doing nothing....is not good when riding. I just dont want to try that on a long, hot ride in between water holes.
Old 07-27-15, 01:53 AM
freedomrider1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
oh yeah... you would be tied in a big knot. If not during the ride , shorty after.
Old 07-27-15, 05:02 AM
OldsCOOL

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Back to work and first time wearing jeans since the weight gain...there is a remarkable size difference in the upper quads. That would explain in simple terms where part of the gain came from. There has also been an unusual lack of "morning after" from that PR 30mi ride yesterday.
Old 07-27-15, 02:47 PM
osco53
Old Fart In Training

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No thank you, I will continue to hydrate and eat correctly, the normal healthy way.

I am not training for competition...
Old 07-28-15, 04:07 AM
OldsCOOL

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Whey Isolate remains the baseline supplement for recovery. Taking a scoop mixed with a glass of milk before bed does wonders. Creatine enhanced protein powder mixes are for the offseason upper body iron sessions.

The only question remaining is how long before that extra 4lbs is dropped. So far, 2lbs.
Old 07-28-15, 12:31 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I tried using creatine in the past and didn't see a benefit. However, this thread got me looking it up in WebMD, which says it is also used to treat certain conditions. One of the conditions listed is high cholesterol. Considering we've had a few threads on statins, that aspect might be of interest to more than just me. Creatine is naturally produced in the body... Hmm... maybe a clinical test of one would be in order?
Old 07-28-15, 12:45 PM
OldsCOOL

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals View Post
I tried using creatine in the past and didn't see a benefit. However, this thread got me looking it up in WebMD, which says it is also used to treat certain conditions. One of the conditions listed is high cholesterol. Considering we've had a few threads on statins, that aspect might be of interest to more than just me. Creatine is naturally produced in the body... Hmm... maybe a clinical test of one would be in order?
Interesting, I'd not read that. Beef is a primary source of creatine and that is what the doctor says to avoid for cholesterol treatment. I know this sounds simplistic but isnt this a dichotomy?
Old 07-28-15, 01:10 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 1756 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
Our bodies manufacture about 1 gram/day of creatine. Meat eaters get ~1 more gram/day from food. A 70 kg average meat-eater stores ~120 grams of creatine in the body, mostly in skeletal muscle. Vegetarians' creatine stores are less. If one takes 3-5 grams of creatine/day over a period of time, the body will reach its natural maximum creatine storage level. Taking more will not increase the amount stored in muscle.
Creapure - Creatine in the Human Body

Also, no need to drink extra water when taking creatine. Just put in in whatever liquid you would ordinarily drink: coffee, juice, protein shake, or just plain water, whatever. Studies showing water retention when using creatine had the subjects drinking a pint of water 5 times/day. Yup, they got more hydrated. Creatine supplemention will cause a small gain in body water, but almost unnoticeable in most people.
Creatine Supplementation Increases Total Body Water Without Altering Fluid Distribution

I've been taking 5g/day for many years because I'm a piscetarian who gets very few calories from other than vegetable sources. Helps my sprint and jumps and muscle gain when I want it. Maybe if I quit it I'd lose a couple pounds of water, but why would I do that? Water is good stuff to have on board.

I wouldn't advise a cyclist or runner to creatine load. No point to that. It's a lifetime sport. Take a little if you want or don't, whatever.
Old 07-28-15, 01:55 PM
OldsCOOL

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
When I rode that PR breaking 30 on Sunday there was an energy (no stimulants) packet my son gave me. It was a good dose of BCAA's. I poured it into my 24oz water bottle and drank it all over the course. My legs have never been that strong. Maybe it's coincidental to the season's level of conditioning. I have never avg'd 15.5mph with the last 3 miles cranking 21-22mph. This is a fairly hilly course, out and back. Typically on that homestretch I'm beat up and glad to finish in the small ring. I'm off the creatine but still taking the supplemental 40gr of whey and bcaa's before bed.
Old 07-28-15, 03:23 PM
freedomrider1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Its could be a combination of everything. But i feel its your weight loss and time of year conditioning.good job.
Old 07-28-15, 04:59 PM
OldsCOOL

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by freedomrider1 View Post
Its could be a combination of everything. But i feel its your weight loss and time of year conditioning.good job.
Thank you, kindly.