Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

My new "adventure bike"

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

My new "adventure bike"

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-16, 06:59 AM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
Your gearing is the first I have seen that would be acceptable. A lot of the gravel bikes seem to
have 48/46 large and 36 small CW, which with an 11-28 cassette is a bit steep for off pave
around here. 46/32 would be a nice compromise with an 11-32, although a 12-34 might be
even better. On the road 34CW/32 cassette is all I need but gravel is a bit steeper than most
paved roads. Holding off on pulling the trigger but gravel really looks attractive, except for
the fact that most gravel close in tends to be private property and one has to drive 30-50
miles for national forest gravel, of which there is a huge network (but no services of course).
At 73, a minor concern is lack of cell service and population on the forest service gravel so
any misadventure might be a problem. Local gravel group does 50-80 mile rides on gravel/
pavement mixes.
Old 11-03-16, 05:04 PM
Road Runner

Bikes: 2017 Felt VR5, 2013 Specialized Crosstrail, 2020 Specialized Vado 4.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by sch
Holding off on pulling the trigger but gravel really looks attractive, except for
the fact that most gravel close in tends to be private property and one has to drive 30-50
miles for national forest gravel, of which there is a huge network (but no services of course).
Living in a more "rural" state, I'm in a heavily populated suburb, but can ride about two miles and find myself on a gravel road network that stretches for miles northward from here. There are sufficient paved roads, but the best sights to be seen are back on the gravel backroads that thru motorists avoid. Everything from cottages and shacks to luxurious estates and horse farms. The photo in my OP is typical of the wooded areas.
Old 11-04-16, 07:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DougG
Same here. It looks like it was a price-point issue. The VR3 has a crank by Rotor and the VR2 has a top-line FSA carbon crank. I'm seriously thinking of swapping out the 48/32 for one of the others, except that right now they're too new to be available in the aftermarket.
Gravel bike popularity, style, and perhaps the growth of our aging demographic seem to be swinging the pendulum towards more compact cranks being on the market. I'm hoping that by the time I'm ready to make a purchase, maybe even FSA will offer a 46/30 on the crank spec'ed for the VR5 so Felt can continue to hit their price-point.
Old 11-04-16, 07:48 AM
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts
Wow, that's a nice gravel road. Scenic! The bike looks great.

I wanted a "do it all" bike a few years ago, but decided on two bikes instead. Each does it's own job very well, with no compromises.

I have a carbon road bike, lightweight and fast, for group rides. It's a blast to ride.

And a Ti bike, an all-day road / gravel / rail trail / light touring bike. It has fenders and a rear rack, and can fit anywhere from 25c to 40c tires. The bars are set a little higher than my fast bike.

The Campagnolo triple is 52-39-30, and I usually have a 12-29 11-speed cassette. On the roads, I can sit on long 10% grades, going slow with fairly light pressure on the pedals, no standing needed. (On flat rides, my other cassette, 12-25, is really nice, with very close shifts while staying in the 39 chainring most of the time.)

For long solo rides, I have fenders, extra water & food, and storage for layers. I use 28c tires on the road at comfy low pressures. Terrible paving or chip-seal roads just don't matter! With fenders, I'm more likely to start a ride that has a chance of rain or has wet roads. It's a new experience to go completely self contained like this.

On loose gravel roads with 40c tires, the 30F-29R low isn't really low enough. I bailed on a long 10% climb on loose forest road gravel, it was just too difficult. It takes a lot more energy to plow through the gravel. Even 5% or 6% grades were very hard.

Gravel Roads
SW Ohio and N KY have essentially no gravel roads, boo. Our quiet lane-and-a-half-wide farm roads are all paved, so I keep road tires on the Ti bike.

I'll mention gravelmap.com The URL changes as you pan and zoom, so you can bookmark that view.

Wow, look at Michigan! Gravel everywhere!

Anyone can post a gravel route to this map. Some of these are crushed stone rail trails, some are steep, rough forest roads, or anything in between. Click on a yellow route to get the details.

Last edited by rm -rf; 11-06-16 at 07:17 AM.
Old 11-04-16, 08:30 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
Great picture of a gorgeous bike, enjoy (:
Old 11-05-16, 06:57 AM
Road Runner

Originally Posted by rm -rf
Gravel Roads
SW Ohio and N KY have essentially no gravel roads, boo. Our quiet lane-and-a-half-wide farm roads are all paved, so I keep road tires on the Ti bike.

I'll mention gravelmap.com The URL changes as you pan and zoom, so you can bookmark that view.

Wow, look at Michigan! Gravel everywhere!

Anyone can post a gravel route to this map. Some of these are crushed stone rail trails, some are steep, rough forest roads, or anything in between. Click on a yellow route to get the details.
Yeah, I grew up in Cincinnati and didn't know that gravel roads even still existed until I moved up here to Michigan! And those maps hardly begin to cover them all. I went on a 40-mile grinder yesterday with a hard-core group -- a bit over my head, actually -- and a lot of it was on roads not marked out on that site.

This also opened my eyes a bit on the limitations of what are being promoted as "gravel bikes." I rode my Specialized Crosstrail instead of the new bike and am really glad that I did. It had rained a couple days previously, so many of the dirt roads had some slick mud on them, and all of the roads were "soft", which only added to the drag. On top of that, they were generally very rough, not to mention hilly. So the Felt with the stock untreaded 28s would not have done well, and even with proper tires would probably have been jarring to ride. In fact, of the 15 people on the ride, at least half were riding 29er MTBs with knobbies, and I'm not sure how anyone could enjoy this ride without at least having front suspension.

I'll have to do some more of this riding next year on the Felt to see how well it does in better conditions or on smoother gravel roads.
Old 11-06-16, 07:35 PM

Bikes: Varied and subject to change

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the heavier precursor to your bike, the Salsa Vaya with a 2x10 and clearance for 42s if needed. Very versatile and fun. Any road any time...
Good houce, enjoy!
Old 11-09-16, 06:49 AM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
At 70 yo, I'm not sure how many new conventional bikes are in my future, so I've been waiting a while for the"I gotta have one" bike for me to come out. When I read Felt's description of their new VR series, I almost couldn't believe it; if you had asked me a few months ago to spec out my ideal-but-nobody-makes-it bike, it would match this model just about 100%! I wanted to keep it under $3K,so went with the VR5, which always leaves room for some future upgrades...
Hi @DougG

Your opening sentence struck a particular existential chord with me. I’m a few years younger than you, but in the Medicare generation. Back in 2012,Iwas in a serious bike accident, and started to feel my age, and realize most of my cycling years were behind me. My beloved Bridgestone RB-1 steel bike was totaled,and I posted,

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
For years, I rode a steel Bridgestone RB-1,costing about $650 down from about $800 as an end-of-year model when I bought it in the early 1980’s. I came to learn it was considered a classic.After the introduction of carbon fiber bikes, I always wondered if the premium prices of CF, which I considered to be about $2000 was worth the presumed enhanced riding experience.

The Bridgestone was totaled in 2012 in an accident from which I was not sure I would ride again. Well I did, and decided to get a CF. My trusted mechanic said here’s the bike you want, knowing my riding style. Well the MSRP was $8000, but he got it for me at half off…

Personally, I can afford it, and it was an offer I could not refuse. Cycling is that important to me and I’m fortunate to be able to continue the lifestyle, so that puts it in perspective for me.
I have previously posted about my most profound reason to cycle:

Several years ago, I had lunch with a couple of MD's and the discussion turned to the vissicitudes of life, such as sudden death, and trivial symptoms that are a harbinger of a serious disease.The conclusion of our conversation was that old chestnut to live life everyday to the fullest.

As we were leaving, the surgeon, a marathon runner said, "Well, anyday with a run in it is a good day for me." I was already a serious cyclist for many years, but it suddenly clicked for me; any day with a ride in it is a good day for me.

Ever since then, I make a definite effort to ride my bike every day and I'm lucky to have a nice year-round cycle commute.….
On a more prosaic (“cycological") note,

...Bikes are getting hard to classify these days, and this is sort ofbetween a road bike and a hard-core gravel bike--what they are calling an"adventure bike". With a carbon frame it weighs about 20lbs and has some interesting frame design features that give it a compliant ride for the rougher stuff. It came with 700x28 tires and them rates it at 700x30 max, but it will easily take 700x35s. Hydraulic discs of course, and 105 series shifters and derailleurs….

Anyway, on my first couple of rides I've tried it out on smooth and rough pavement as well as some local dirt-gravel roads and hills and it performed like a champ! This will replace my two other road bikes and become my do-everything bike for this type of riding.

The only bad thing is that I'll be lucky to get a handful of more rides in before I have to put it away for the winter.
Originally Posted by tsurr
Nice bike, I am in my seventies and debating the same issue of a new bike. We do some gravel riding in Cherokee National forest,this would work
Likewise, I recently posted about a seemingly similar bike, which I would consider an “adventure bike.”

…After 40 years of cycle commuting on a year-round minimal one-way 14 mile route, I have this year finally assembled IMO, the perfect bicycle fleet:
  • One nearly year-round dry, clean-road bike (carbon fiber road bike,except for deepwinter with lingering salt)

• One year-round wet,dirty-road bike (aluminum road bike, just recently acquired; see picture below)

• One winter bike for anything (steel mountain bike withMarathon Winter studded tires always on, for the least possibility ofice; I could use it for trails without the studs, but I don't do that kind of riding).
The first two bikes are smooth, easy riding, and easy to carry upstairs;thethird is a heavy and significantly tougher ride…Now, the Cannondale isreserved completely for miserable studded-tire riding, and I'm happy about that, and my riding needs are completely met. I liken my three bikes to a Lamborghini,a Lexus, and a Humvee.
Originally Posted by Jim fromBoston
…The ride and shifting [of the Diverge]is as smooth as the S-Works, but the feel ismore”solid,” with 30C tires. I think this is a great all-purpose bike
Sounds great! Since I'm not a particularly high-mileage cyclist (spend a lot of time running), I was aiming to simplify things by condensing two bikes into one. Also, my wife and I keep talking about moving into a smaller place, and when I look at all the "stuff"I have in my basement and garage that I'd have to move or get rid of...
BTW, I have to keep one of the three bikes in storage because my wife only wants two in the condo. So I’ll switch the CF and mountain bike, with studded tires, in December and March, and the Diverge will be year round, depending on road conditions (no ice, no hardpack snow)….

[Sadly, yesterday I just learned that my excellent LBS of over 20 years, where I had bought all three bikes, is closing soon. When I came home and told my wife,she sincerely sympathized with me. But I couldn’t resist telling her I bought four bikes on closeout (just kidding).]
Finally Doug, on a social note, I have previously posted to you,
Living in a more "rural" state [Rochester Hills.MI], I'm in a heavily populated suburb, but can ride about two miles and findmyself on a gravel road network that stretches for miles northward from here.There are sufficient paved roads, but the best sights to be seen are back on the gravel backroads that thru motorists avoid.Everything from cottages and shacksto luxurious estates and horse farms. The photo in my OP is typical ofthe wooded areas.
BTW, my sister lives in Rochester Hills, MI, and that's a nice, scenic and interesting place to ride.The sidewalks are really MUPS to me, and the roads aren't bad either.
As noted above I ride all year round. Riding in December is a particular pleasure with the festive Christmas lighting. Slightly off topic, but one of the most beautiful lighting displays, as you well may know, is in downtown Rochester (proper) as pictured below.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
FullSizeRender (8).jpg (93.5 KB, 185 views)
Rochester Xmas 2014 003.jpg (94.9 KB, 187 views)
Rochester Xmas 2014 004.jpg (96.4 KB, 185 views)

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 11-11-16 at 10:17 AM.
Old 04-04-17, 06:32 AM

Bikes: Fuji, Focus,Felt. 20 more letters to go.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
Hey Doug, I finally got my VR5, took them a while to get to the East coast.
Have you made any more modifications to yours?
I noticed that mine does not have the double seat post binding. I was a bit disappointed.
I haven't really put it through a long ride yet. Any wisdom to pass along?
Old 04-05-17, 12:40 PM

Bikes: 2010 Trek Wahoo, 2010 Trek FX 7.5, 2011 Trek Madone 3.1, 2012 Trek 520, 2016 Trek X-Caliber 8, 2017 Trek DS 4

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have been looking at the Trek 920 but nobody locally has one to test ride.
Old 04-06-17, 06:23 AM
Road Runner

Originally Posted by bargeon
Hey Doug, I finally got my VR5, took them a while to get to the East coast.
Have you made any more modifications to yours?
I noticed that mine does not have the double seat post binding. I was a bit disappointed.
I haven't really put it through a long ride yet. Any wisdom to pass along?
No real modifications yet (other than the Brooks saddle) and none planned since I haven't been able to ride it since last November, although things are starting to look up in these parts. Yes, the seatpost binding is not that great to work with, but I didn't have too much trouble with it when I changed the seat over the winter.
Old 04-06-17, 06:25 AM
Road Runner

Originally Posted by Piratebike
I have been looking at the Trek 920 but nobody locally has one to test ride.
I was interested in the 920 when it first came out a couple years ago, but couldn't find a dealer in the area who had one or was even interested in getting one in (unless I paid for it in full in advance). Waiting for the VR5 was a good move in the end!
Old 04-06-17, 07:16 AM

No real modifications yet (other than the Brooks saddle) and none planned since I haven't been able to ride it since last November, although things are starting to look up in these parts. Yes, the seatpost binding is not that great to work with, but I didn't have too much trouble with it when I changed the seat over the winter.
Ha! Yeah, I think we're in the same lattitude, the weather is still more adventurous than the bike.

By the way, what bottle cages are those?
Old 04-06-17, 08:36 AM
Road Runner

Originally Posted by bargeon
By the way, what bottle cages are those?
I got those at the local Performance Bike. I didn't plan on that particular (expensive) one, but couldn't resist the matching blue accent color.

Forté Corsa Carbon Cage
Old 04-06-17, 11:36 AM

I got those at the local Performance Bike. I didn't plan on that particular (expensive) one, but couldn't resist the matching blue accent color.

Forté Corsa Carbon Cage
Yeah, I see what you mean , But dang they're nice! well, let's see how long before I give in
Old 04-06-17, 09:16 PM

Bikes: Specialized Diverge Elite DSW

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just got my new adventure bike as well- my LBS finally finished it. Its the 2016 Specialized Diverge elite DSW. I customized it a bit following my knee replacement. Its got a 165mm 50/34 crankset, 11/36 cassette on back for more granny gear spinning, a taller stem angle for my arthritic neck, went up to 32s on the tires, and an upgraded saddle- fitted to my sit bones finally. I'm excited to take it out asap! And the weather took a crap here tonight with high winds, snow squalls, and temps not getting above 37 tomorrow- but hopefully the weekend will be good to go!
Attached Images
20170406_222454.jpg (98.0 KB, 68 views)

Last edited by ironknee; 04-06-17 at 09:21 PM.
Old 04-07-17, 06:46 AM
Road Runner

Originally Posted by ironknee
Just got my new adventure bike as well- my LBS finally finished it. Its the 2016 Specialized Diverge elite DSW. I customized it a bit following my knee replacement. Its got a 165mm 50/34 crankset, 11/36 cassette on back for more granny gear spinning, a taller stem angle for my arthritic neck, went up to 32s on the tires, and an upgraded saddle- fitted to my sit bones finally. I'm excited to take it out asap! And the weather took a crap here tonight with high winds, snow squalls, and temps not getting above 37 tomorrow- but hopefully the weekend will be good to go!
Nice! Very similar to my VR5 and obviously a real trend in the market these days. Ditto on the weather here -- cold, windy and rainy, temps in the 30s today, but somehow supposed to hit 70 by Sunday. Wife and I planning on riding somewhere if possible.
Old 04-07-17, 04:04 PM

Bikes: Specialized Diverge Elite DSW

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice! Very similar to my VR5 and obviously a real trend in the market these days. Ditto on the weather here -- cold, windy and rainy, temps in the 30s today, but somehow supposed to hit 70 by Sunday. Wife and I planning on riding somewhere if possible.
Yes- Sunday, even if I have to go hypothermic