Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Hydration lesson 101

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Hydration lesson 101

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-07, 05:32 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Will,

Did you hear the green frogs singing their "banjo" songs along the trail? They were out in force last Thursday.
Old 07-09-07, 06:55 PM

Bikes: Trek 7700, C'dale R2000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=Tom Bombadil]I'd have been out there with you, but had to go to work...............................................................................................
QUOTE]

I gave my notice to quit my job of 25 years last week. There was a top management change in the German parent company making my life miserable. So I quit.

Now I will have lots of time for biking. The Badger R to T will come in handy. I will look forward to biking to Madison from Freeport.

That also means another Cross Country SAG supported fast bike tour next spring and multiple months in FL trail biking.
All we need to worry about is remain healthy. There will be a long phase out period from my job and that is under contentious discussion.
Old 07-09-07, 06:59 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
Will,

Did you hear the green frogs singing their "banjo" songs along the trail? They were out in force last Thursday.
Well Tom, I am a big city boy and would not know how a green frog sings. I probably thought it is some critters.
However I am happy that you say it is frogs because there was a lot of talk of some deadly fungus killing them. So according to you they are alive and singing.
Great.
Old 07-09-07, 08:06 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bring two pints with me on my ride and continously hydrate and pour water over me when I get a chance. I went out for a 56 mile ride early yesterday and had to drink water frequently and pour water over my head and shoulders to cool off. At the bike trail I ususally ride, there's a place with water fountain and I usually refill. It's extremely important to hydrate often during any ride speically this time of the year.
Old 07-09-07, 08:13 PM
The Grampster

Bikes: Eddy Merckx SXM, LeMond Buenos Aires, Cannondale Road Warrior 1000 plus a couple of comforts (Specialized Crossroads and Giant Cyprus) and a beater mtb for around town.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wrafl
I bring two pints with me on my ride and continously hydrate and pour water over me when I get a chance. I went out for a 56 mile ride early yesterday and had to drink water frequently and pour water over my head and shoulders to cool off. At the bike trail I ususally ride, there's a place with water fountain and I usually refill. It's extremely important to hydrate often during any ride speically this time of the year.
One Jim Beam, one Johnny Walker, I presume?
Old 07-09-07, 08:49 PM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 105 Posts
If she really guzzled 128oz of water, it is no wonder she felt
bloated, as it is hard for the stomach to empty at a rate
much faster than 32-40oz/hour and it likely wasn't empty to
start with. The 32+ emptying rate actually assumes optimal
electrolyte and sugar content in the liquid and plain water
empties at a slower rate. Two quarts or so sloshing around
in the stomach will make you feel bloated and she probably
had a mild electrolyte imbalance as well. Smaller people have
smaller stomachs to boot.
Old 07-09-07, 09:30 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
Are there any lower sugar sports ade drinks?
I have been using Camelbak Elixir for a few weeks and it's been great. NO SUGAR!!! All it does is replenish electrolytes. Combining Elixir with Trail Mix Bars has been a great combination. Elixir consists of tablets that disolve in water and the Lemon/Lime taste is bearable. They say that they will be coming out with new flavers soon.
Old 07-10-07, 09:07 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sch
If she really guzzled 128oz of water, it is no wonder she felt
bloated, as it is hard for the stomach to empty at a rate
much faster than 32-40oz/hour and it likely wasn't empty to
start with. The 32+ emptying rate actually assumes optimal
electrolyte and sugar content in the liquid and plain water
empties at a slower rate. Two quarts or so sloshing around
in the stomach will make you feel bloated and she probably
had a mild electrolyte imbalance as well. Smaller people have
smaller stomachs to boot.
Thank you for this information. We will keep it in mind and I think you are right.
Old 07-10-07, 09:28 AM
OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach

Bikes: Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
More Info

https://www.scienceblog.com/cms/node/7556

2013 Noah RS
Old 07-10-07, 10:06 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stonecrd
Thanks. I forwarded it to my wife. She tends to fight with me on that issue because she wants to loose weight biking. I have told her many times that this is not a good idea. She only bikes 50 miles/week and expects to loose weight.
She also does Curves and a fair amount of exercise equipment work out. But she is addicted to meat.
Old 07-10-07, 10:16 AM
OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Calories In vs Calories Out, its a pretty simple equation. But you have to keep the engine going for it to be able to burn the calories. Meat is not really a bad thing, IMO. Its the carbs and sugars that kill you when you are trying to loose weight. I am not a Atkins fanatic but I found that by eliminating all breads, pastas, potatoes and sugars during the week I saw my weight drop much more quickly. This means I do eat more protein and vegetables. On weekends I quite watching but don't gorge, this seems to work for me as total abstinence is not within my willpower. I try to ride at least 100 miles/wk.

2013 Noah RS
Old 07-10-07, 10:31 AM
Isaias

Bikes: Ridley X-Fire (carbon, white)

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There's nothing wrong with sugar. It's the most basic fuel that the body uses to provide energy to working muscles.

The sucrose (table sugar) molecule is a disaccharide. In other words it's made up of two molecules of monosaccharides--fructose (usually found in fruits) and glucose.

The bigger the molecule, the longer it takes to break down for use by the muscles.

Hydration problems start when people mix their own. They use too much or too little of the powder that goes into water. The concentration affects how fast the liquid empties from the stomach. Too much powder and the liquid takes longer to empty. Not enough and the muscles don't get optimal fuel.

During my bike trip to Ocean City, last Wednesday, I restocked at each location where a red dot appears. I started with 2 x 24oz of Gatorade and restocked with the same. The temperature got up into the mid-80s F/high humidity.

On the way home, Sunday, I supplemented the Gatorade with plain water. I stopped 2-3 times more since the temperature was in the mid-to-high 90s F/high humidity.

Everyone is different, but not so different that they can disobey the rules regarding gastric emptying (providing the highest amount of fuel possible over the shortest time). Appropriate amounts of electrolyte salts in a 6-8% solution of sugars and water is the quickest method to do that.

I guess the bottom line is to practise eating and drinking on the bike to find out what works best for you.

Sorry, for barging in. I still have 6 months before turning 50.
Old 07-10-07, 10:43 AM

Bikes: Flat bar road bike, trail bike and MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well in the current heat, my solution was to stay home in A/C. My ride these last few weeks has been 20 miles in about 72 to 75 minutes. Not a speed person. Like to be, but the years of couch potato have taken a toll on my muscles. Anyway from these forums I've decided to go with treated water. Using the tips I've read here, I've bought powdered drink mixes at local market. It's not the biggest display, but they are there. I also got my latest water bottle there. A Thermos brand, 24 oz. with insulated jacket. A little tite in the bottle holder, but it fits. I also stop and dismount to drink, as part of a butt break. So tite fit is not a problem. I had used Caprisun Sports On the Go mix first. 25 cal. 85mg salt, 40 mg K, 5 grams sugar. Okay. But found Crystal Light On the Go with 5 cal. 75mg salt, 35mg K, ZERO sugar. All these mixes are individual paks that make 16.9 oz of a drink per directions. I mix them with 24 oz. water. Put maybe 8 oz. in water bottle and freeze. Add to bottle when ready to ride, add the jacket and go. Only problem is after 70 minutes I still have ice in bottle. When I do ride in this heat, I try to go early so I finish before temps reach 85F. Actually not so much the air temp that is brutal, it's the heat rising from the blacktop roads. Fortunately at least half my ride is in shade. But good or bad, at my pace and distance, 20 oz. of the treated water is fine. Beyond the 20 miles I'll need a refill and probably some carb snacks. But I choose to avoid that by riding just the 20 miles till it cools down.
Old 07-10-07, 11:16 AM
Yen
Surly Girly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by will dehne
She only bikes 50 miles/week and expects to loose weight.
As long as she takes in fewer calories than she uses during the week, she'll lose weight. Maybe not 2-3 lbs./week (which is what most people desire), but she'll lose it as long as her calorie intake is a little lower than she burns. I lost 30+ lbs. with just moderate walking (prior to getting back on a bike).... it's all how I ate, and what, and doing some kind of exercise most days of the week. It doesn't have to be long distances or high intensity. It was slow..... veeeery slooooow at times....... but slow, steady, and sure. 18 lbs. since last summer is only 1.5 lbs./month, a rate that frustrates most people (and understandably so). But 18 lbs. is a lot of weight no matter how slow it comes off.
Old 07-10-07, 05:42 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Calories In vs Calories Out, its a pretty simple equation. But you have to keep the engine going for it to be able to burn the calories. Meat is not really a bad thing, IMO. Its the carbs and sugars that kill you when you are trying to loose weight. I am not a Atkins fanatic but I found that by eliminating all breads, pastas, potatoes and sugars during the week I saw my weight drop much more quickly. This means I do eat more protein and vegetables. On weekends I quite watching but don't gorge, this seems to work for me as total abstinence is not within my willpower. I try to ride at least 100 miles/wk.
We are comparing notes and not arguing, OK?
I do not like how meat sits in my system. I am 65. 185#, 6'1" and little fat if any. I do bike more than most bikers. Most days 50 miles and just did a week with 100 miles/day.
Here is my diet: Big oatmeal with fruit, pie's, fish with veggies OR plain pasta and salad. Lots of wine and some cheese.
I can control my weight very easy with this diet provided I do the biking.
Old 07-10-07, 06:32 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NoRacer
There's nothing wrong with sugar. It's the most basic fuel that the body uses to provide energy to working muscles.

The sucrose (table sugar) molecule is a disaccharide. In other words it's made up of two molecules of monosaccharides--fructose (usually found in fruits) and glucose.

The bigger the molecule, the longer it takes to break down for use by the muscles.

Hydration problems start when people mix their own. They use too much or too little of the powder that goes into water. The concentration affects how fast the liquid empties from the stomach. Too much powder and the liquid takes longer to empty. Not enough and the muscles don't get optimal fuel................................................................................................

Sorry, for barging in. I still have 6 months before turning 50.
Nice map and trip.
Welcome to 50+
Old 07-10-07, 06:40 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Yen
As long as she takes in fewer calories than she uses during the week, she'll lose weight. Maybe not 2-3 lbs./week (which is what most people desire), but she'll lose it as long as her calorie intake is a little lower than she burns. I lost 30+ lbs. with just moderate walking (prior to getting back on a bike).... it's all how I ate, and what, and doing some kind of exercise most days of the week. It doesn't have to be long distances or high intensity. It was slow..... veeeery slooooow at times....... but slow, steady, and sure. 18 lbs. since last summer is only 1.5 lbs./month, a rate that frustrates most people (and understandably so). But 18 lbs. is a lot of weight no matter how slow it comes off.
Lucky, my wife is a great cook. I benefit from that. She also is her own best customer. She is Polish/German and that diet provides a continuous challenge for her and me.
I dropped a lot of weight by cutting out most meat + fried + bread and bike furiously 50 miles on most days. She cannot do that and is stuck at 140# for her 5'3". By no means heavy but she would like to drop about 5#. No dice.
Old 07-10-07, 07:58 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The OP's initial post describing the problem also included the solution (no pun intended) . . . keep those electrolytes levels up during hot weather. I have nothing against sports drinks, but, OTOH, I can ride in the hottest weather while ingesting minimal amounts of water and almost nothing in the way of sports drinks . . . and I feel quite comfy doing this. The solution for me is to simply injest two teaspoons of plain old table salt before my ride . . . washed down one spoonful at a time with a bit of OJ or ice water.

It's a bit of a drill to get that salt down . . . it's not a pleasant taste . . . I make an effort to place it at the back of my tongue, then, a sip or two of OJ or water and the salt is beyond those taste centers where the sensation might make you want to gag.

If I had some salt tables, I'd take them instead . . . but table salt is handy and cheap.

I am certain that, if I really wanted to, I could ride in 90+ degree heat and take in very little water. I am not interested in testing this, so I will stop every 30 or 40 miles and sip some water, but I never feel dehydrated or stressed, and I return from my hot rides unfatigued . . . my clothes, even my face, full of gritty salt residue, but, physically, I am cool, calm, and comfortable.

I wonder if there are any doctors reading this who care to comment on whether the practice is sound, safe, dangerous or what.

I know I feel very comfortable . . . but that does not make me right.

Would love to hear more comments . . . and I'm wondering why salt tables seem to have gone out of style. Personally, I feel there is too much emphasis these days on hydration and far too little on the simple steps one can take to assure adequate levels of salts in the body to maintain adequate electrolyte levels.

I'm just a bike ridin' bloke, however, so, I would love to hear from someone who really knows body chemistry.

Great thread. Sorry, OP, about your wife's unpleasant ride.

Caruso
Old 07-10-07, 09:23 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Carusoswi
The OP's initial post describing the problem also included the solution (no pun intended) . . . keep those electrolytes levels up during hot weather. I have nothing against sports drinks, but, OTOH, I can ride in the hottest weather while ingesting minimal amounts of water and almost nothing in the way of sports drinks . . . and I feel quite comfy doing this. The solution for me is to simply injest two teaspoons of plain old table salt before my ride . . . washed down one spoonful at a time with a bit of OJ or ice water.

It's a bit of a drill to get that salt down . . . it's not a pleasant taste . . . I make an effort to place it at the back of my tongue, then, a sip or two of OJ or water and the salt is beyond those taste centers where the sensation might make you want to gag.

If I had some salt tables, I'd take them instead . . . but table salt is handy and cheap.

I am certain that, if I really wanted to, I could ride in 90+ degree heat and take in very little water. I am not interested in testing this, so I will stop every 30 or 40 miles and sip some water, but I never feel dehydrated or stressed, and I return from my hot rides unfatigued . . . my clothes, even my face, full of gritty salt residue, but, physically, I am cool, calm, and comfortable.

I wonder if there are any doctors reading this who care to comment on whether the practice is sound, safe, dangerous or what.

I know I feel very comfortable . . . but that does not make me right.

Would love to hear more comments . . . and I'm wondering why salt tables seem to have gone out of style. Personally, I feel there is too much emphasis these days on hydration and far too little on the simple steps one can take to assure adequate levels of salts in the body to maintain adequate electrolyte levels.

I'm just a bike ridin' bloke, however, so, I would love to hear from someone who really knows body chemistry.

Great thread. Sorry, OP, about your wife's unpleasant ride.

Caruso
I am thinking that your post is so accurate that it should be repeated.
From my personal experience I have to say this to your post:
A full intensity ride of 50 miles on limestone under 3 hours requires more water if the temperature is over F95 and the humidity over 50%. I hate the taste of salt. It is irrational. I eat most meals unsalted.
I do as you do. I go to the lower limit of proper hydration. No problems except once: It was over F100 and the humidity was high too. I had to get off the bike with typical pain of under hydration. That scared me. Since that time I learned the hard way the dangers of over hydration.
So you see that I have been around. I am unhappy that I was not smart enough to protect my wife and trying to make amends by spreading the word.
BTW, I could never get my wife to take salt or salt tablets. She will do Gatorade. She is very stubborn and love-able.
Old 07-10-07, 09:35 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The next few days should be a pleasure on the trails, Will. Highs in the mid-70s. Shouldn't have to hydrate as much.
Old 07-10-07, 10:43 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Carusoswi
Would love to hear more comments . . . and I'm wondering why salt tablets seem to have gone out of style.
https://www.trainright.com/articles.asp?uid=2483

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 07-11-07, 04:59 AM
OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by will dehne
We are comparing notes and not arguing, OK?
I do not like how meat sits in my system. I am 65. 185#, 6'1" and little fat if any. I do bike more than most bikers. Most days 50 miles and just did a week with 100 miles/day.
Here is my diet: Big oatmeal with fruit, pie's, fish with veggies OR plain pasta and salad. Lots of wine and some cheese.
I can control my weight very easy with this diet provided I do the biking.
Hey Will,

I'm not arguing, I am just saying what works for me. I lived three years with a vegetarian and found eating no meat is fine with me. The problem though is it takes too damn much work to make a veggy diet varied and tasty, only so much you can do with lentils.

Peace

2013 Noah RS
Old 07-11-07, 08:14 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tom- Thatis a good article. I did not know that what it says. Thanks.
Old 07-11-07, 08:22 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey Will,

I'm not arguing, I am just saying what works for me. I lived three years with a vegetarian and found eating no meat is fine with me. The problem though is it takes too damn much work to make a veggy diet varied and tasty, only so much you can do with lentils.

Peace
stonecrd- Same here, thanks for the information. I am a big fan of Oatmeal (mixed with fruit and cereals) and Pasta (mixed with veggies) and Pie (with all kinds of fruit) and good red Wine with Cheese.
This works for me so well that I wonder what is wrong with it. Nothing that tasty can be all good?
Old 07-12-07, 06:40 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is another article on hydration. Pretty general though.

https://www.active.com/cycling/Articl...-Hydration.htm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.