Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

A Thread for Beginning or Returning Bicyclers - Welcome

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

A Thread for Beginning or Returning Bicyclers - Welcome

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-07, 04:13 PM
Third World Layabout

Bikes: Cannondale F900 and Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 22 Posts
My advice - you will never win the Tour De France no matter how much drugs you take - it is too late. Therefore, relax and enjoy. No matter how fast you are, some skinny scrawny kid will be faster. It doesn't matter. He only hopes he is riding when he is our age.

If you remember riding a bike as a kid, remember the freedom you felt to be able to go where ever you wish - now reclaim that feeling. Pedal all day if you want knowing the only consumable you are burning is what you put in your mouth - and if there is anything we learn in 50th years, it is how to enjoy eating! Do as I do - I pedal from bakery to bakery. One must refuel you know...

And ignore people with white bikes - buy one that doesn't show dirt since surely you will be riding yours unlike some people we could name.
Old 10-01-07, 06:07 PM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My $0.02:
Try to get out on a regular basis, every other day then build up to maybe 5 days per week. Take some days off, don't let the bike rule your life - there is more to life then riding a bike (I might get voted off the island for a comment like that here). Start slow - there will be plenty of time to be a Lance wanna be.

If you have difficulty getting motivated to ride - remember that you will begin to feel great after the first mile or two, always remember that feeling. Don't try to go fast at first - just try to go. If you are going for fitness, set challenging but obtainable goals and celebrate when they are achieved.

The most important feature of a modern bike are the shifting components. Make sure the bike shifts well when you are applying pressure to the pedals, make sure it does not easily throw the chain. Make sure to get it adjusted after a few weeks of riding. You will most likely give up if the bike doesn't shift properly. Also - don't worry about what bike is best, a hybrid or comfort bike is a great place to start - any moderately good one will do at first. Unless you have a physical reason for doing otherwise, start out with a main stream bike.

You don't need to spend a lot for a bike, some times a used bike is the best way to go - there are a lot of bargins. If buying new - try to buy in the late fall, shops dump great bikes for great deals at this time of year. You first bike should be considered an experiment.

Most new riders set the seat too low, thats OK until you start climbing hills, then get it adjusted properly - you won't believe how high it will go and how much better you will ride. Low seat = knee pain. If, after awhile you do get knee pain, post about it, there are lots of things to try.

Your tail bone will hurt at first, this is normal. Time in the saddle will cure that.

Try a bike club if they have a social riding group which rides 15 miles or less or get a riding buddy to help you get out.

Check in with us from time to time - share your triumphs, ask about your cycling problems and questions. No attitudes allowed here, no agendas, it's a safe place.
Old 10-02-07, 07:59 AM
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 432 Posts
there'll be days when you look at the bike in the garage, and say to yourself, "I'm tooo tired", "I'm sore","The weather stinks", "Its toooo cold/hot", "I have more important things to do" and then you might walk away to other things...
or
you might just throw a leg over and go for a bimble.
when you get back, you'll lean the bike back in its spot, and always say "Boy, I'm really glad I went for a ride!"
Old 10-02-07, 10:35 AM

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
Learn to fix a flat and carry necessary tools, patch kit &/or spare tube, and CO2 or pump. Also available is fix-a-flat for bicycles-in different brand names-works for schraeder valves (like on your car tire), I've never tried it on a presta valve. Might want to learn some other basic mechanical adjustments, but do learn to fix a flat.
Old 10-02-07, 12:07 PM
Lost in Nostalgia

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can do it, an encouragement

Cycling is one exercise that minimizes or reverses the natural effects of aging and does it gently, smoothly, and this also goes for ALL ages, not just 50+

While it's true, there are no guarantees in life, cycling certainly gives you a much better chance at a healthier life.

Before I took up cycling again just recently, I was on a steep, downhill path to ill health and it's consequences were already beginning to show. It shocked me when getting off the bus, my knee almost gave out. I knew then, my leg muscles were getting weak as I suspected for a while. Another indicator was getting easily out of breath with just a short flight of stairs or carrying some grocery bags.

That did it. Not accepting this situation any longer, I went home and took inventory of my old cycling stuff, said hello to the old mountain bike and began riding again. It brought back a thrill lost in almost 20 years of sedentary living. At first, all I could manage was 2 miles before the legs turned to wet noodles and the lungs felt like exploding but, I kept it up. Soon, made it to the beach 3 miles away, later the zoo 5 miles away and it has been getting better with each ride.

Today, I am up to 60 miles and have no limits in mind, the blood pressure has returned to low normal from being "borderline" hypertense and I'm on the way to losing the last 15 pounds of what used to be a HUGE, 46 inch "spare tire" and everything is again looking uphill.

Crusing down those tree lined country roads again with the tires humming, a warm breeze in your face and attacking those hills, wonderful! and welcome again old friend named bicycle.

Without cycling again, I'm sure, medical intervention would have been a step away like it is with many friends in my 63 year old age group.

So get yourself checked out and if things are OK, get riding!

Thank you Mr. Bicycle!
Old 10-02-07, 07:04 PM

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Excellent Advice

(My total miles for 2000 through 2006 were probably less than one hundred, Miles so far this year are about three thousand.)

In my (always) humble opinion, the comments above are generally excellent. If new riders were to take them seriously, the roads and paths would be filled with happy riders.

George
Old 10-03-07, 11:41 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like your attitude! Back on the Bike

Hi, I am new to cycling, six months in at age 52. Hadn't been on a bike in 15 years! I started walking first for 8 months , worked up to two miles a day. Could barely walk around the block when I started. I walked six days a week and lost a lb a week consistently. If I cut back on the days, I would not lose. At the 8 month mark I switched to a mountain bike, 10 speed that I got through a local Freecycle group. It was a bit small for me, but I made it work. After a couple of months my husband purchased two Landrider auto shift bikes for us. We are now riding 5 and 6 miles a day now. I know that doesn't sound like much for most riders out there. I took my first spill and met the pavement last night. A few scrapes but I survived and hope to be back on the bike tomorrow. I have a question. Since riding the bike 30 minutes a day, at least six days, sometimes seven days a week my weight loss has plateuted. Anybody have any suggestions.
Do I need to rest more or just ride longer? By the way I did lose 32#, just won't budge any more.
Old 10-03-07, 11:49 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cycling's rewards

I too have seen tremendous benefits of cycling. First off there is nothing like the crisp morning air and seeing the sun rise. My blood pressure is normal and somtimes low normal. There are many good changes in my blood work. Weight is down 32#. My stamina is much better. I can do a flight of stairs with no problem and I can walk the parking lot at Wal-Mart to the store with ease.
This is the exercise for me, I love it. Even after my first encounter with the pavement last night, a few scrapes, a few aches today, I am ready to get right back on. Who says you can't change at 52? You certainly can! My husband and I have even inspired a few more to get started. I turned over my old bike to an upcoming and willing rider.
Old 10-05-07, 04:29 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
SInce no one else has answered your question, I will give it a shot.

"I have a question. Since riding the bike 30 minutes a day, at least six days, sometimes seven days a week my weight loss has plateuted. Anybody have any suggestions."

A couple of things might have happened.

1. You most likely (indeed almost for sure) have built up considerable muscle, and now your weight is composed of a much higher percentage of muscle, which you don't want to get rid of.

2. As a result, you likely burn calories more efficiently, and have more muscle with which to propel yourself. Therefore, you are not burning as many calories per mile or hour as you used to.

So, eat less calories and exercise more. And add some other types of riding - intervals, hills - anything different to challenge new muscle groups. Or, perhaps you are or could be happy with where you are now?

I am sure others will have aditional comments.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 07-09-08 at 05:35 AM.
Old 10-06-07, 03:38 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Exercise is a supplement to weight loss - it will not cause you to lose weight without changing your diet. There are only three real rules for dieting:
1. Eat less junk (you know what it is).
2. Eat more of the right stuff (you also know what that is).
3. Eat smaller portions.
Then, add 4-5 hours of biking each week and the weight will fall off, guaranteed.

That's it. No books, no plans, no diets, no cost.

You don't lose weight with exercise alone because exercise makes you hungry. I ate a 1200 calorie lunch today, but I rode 50 miles and burned probably 2200 calories. Also, it's not true that the only consideration is calories in vs. calories out. Two hundred calories from an apple is different than 200 calories from a donut. Click here for the single best dieting website I've ever seen.
Old 10-06-07, 03:44 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here are some additional random thoughts:
  • Drink small amounts, often. On warm days I drink one large bottle of water in 45-60 minutes. I typically drink a couple mouthfulls about every 5 minutes.
  • Consider wearing a heart rate monitor. I wear one because it helps me determine when I'm pushing too hard. It provides quantitative feedback that helps me know that I am indeed working harder than I planned. Without it, I might conclude that I'm being a wuss and push harder.
  • Buy cycling shoes. Their stiff soles reduce the strain on your foot. They don't have to be the streamlined type used by roadies, they make some that look like more normal shoes or sneakers.
  • Find some other people to ride with. You don't have to do this every ride, but sharing rides with others can be a great social, and fun, event.
  • Stretch, stretch, stretch! You're not getting any more flexible and if you don't stretch, you'll get even tighter, which will increase the odds of an injury. Do some online searches and find some good stretching routines.
Old 10-06-07, 05:39 PM
Hills!

Bikes: 2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2005 Marin Novato, Trek 7100

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
If you are like me, you don't know what type riding you want to do and are shocked at the high price ($350 and up) of new bikes. But you know you want to ride, so don't let the prices dissuade you. Take a look at the sport and visit the local bike shop(s) and talk shop for a while. Get used to how the sport has changed since you last bought a new bike 40 years ago.

Instead of buying a new bike (do NOT get a cheapie from WalMart or equivalent), see if your LBS (local bike shop) has a good used bike you can start with... or check Craig's list, local paper, etc. for a quality used bike. Ask here if in doubt as to what constitutes a good used bike.

As someone else mentioned, I too initially refused to ride with appropriate cycling gear (padded shorts, jersey, clipless shoes, etc.) because I did not want THAT look (poseur). But then I discovered the benefits of padded shorts. I'm still iffy on the jersey, but recently became a clipless convert. It makes a difference. And I have one jersey with another 1 or 2 coming.

The cost of this sport is like anything else. You can spend whatever you want to spend... and more. But you don't have to spend all that much, and it's probably cheaper than boating, motorcycling, golf, or many other sport hobbies.

Get in as cheaply as you can but with quality gear. Once your interest level is qualified, then spend what you can afford to support your habit.

But it's a good habit.. and healthy too. It can be as specialized and technical as you want it to be... or not at all.

But until you get that first bike and start riding, you may not know what your interest level will be and what type riding you eventually end up doing. I thought I'd ride neighborhood roads and some light trails. Had no idea I'd be interested in eating up the road. But it turns out that's exactly what I love to do. I may not be as fast as others, but I'm comfy knocking out 40, 50 or 60 miles a day now and 200 mile weeks are pretty common.

Remember... that first bike you buy will help you learn what you really want and your 2nd bike will be much more in line with your interests. That's how it has worked for me.

Just get started and enjoy the ride. The Bikeforum will be here to help.
Old 10-07-07, 07:21 AM
Ti #18 Senior.

Bikes: Serotta Concours

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Start/restart at 50+

My short two cents:

Buy a nice used bike that you feel comfortable riding. Ride.
Find a place to ride that works for you.
Find a good, customer oriented local bike shop. Visit them all and see what you think.
Get a comfortable saddle - you can use it on your next bike too.
Buy Joe Friel's book - "Cycling past 50"
Get a heart rate monitor so that you can gauge your effort.
Keep a regular biking schedule - weather permitting.
Old 10-07-07, 07:58 AM

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
I think this bike forum is primarily an advertising thing with banners and the attraction is what's called "content" in the industry.

To get riders, one needs to identify them. I think that's the first step. The Baby Boomer age group are those born between 1957-1946. So there's your 50 +.

Once you get more people into this forum, your advertisers will get more hits.

I think content is one way and this is what you're asking. But try this in reverse. Consumers want a deal and these advertisers may not be the ones that give the best deals. Take a look at your banners and now take a look at the posts specifically targeted at consumer preferences. I think you have a gap to fill.
Old 10-07-07, 08:48 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Garfield Cat
I think this bike forum is primarily an advertising thing with banners and the attraction is what's called "content" in the industry.

To get riders, one needs to identify them. I think that's the first step. The Baby Boomer age group are those born between 1957-1946. So there's your 50 +.

Once you get more people into this forum, your advertisers will get more hits.

I think content is one way and this is what you're asking. But try this in reverse. Consumers want a deal and these advertisers may not be the ones that give the best deals. Take a look at your banners and now take a look at the posts specifically targeted at consumer preferences. I think you have a gap to fill.
Huh? I thought this thread was for providing tips to new or returning RIDERS, not how to attract more advertising. And to be quite blunt, I pretty much ignore the banner ads. I know some people have issues with boards that sell ad space, but when you compare the features on the advertiser supported forums with those that aren't, the benefits (additional features) usually outweigh the (imagined) downsides. People often forget that it takes $$$ to run a board. The more members, the more money it takes. A board owner can go after ads, or they can ask for, or require, money from the members. Given these choices, the ads seem like a good choice.
Old 10-07-07, 09:46 AM
another cat...FAB!

Bikes: Merlin Ti Build, Trek Y-50, Bianchi Titanium Build, Custom Cuevas Road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
- Don't be afraid to ride with folks much younger; there are a lot out there that enjoy people of all ages

- Get some good lights; as you age, your night vision is not as good, and lights can help. An extremely bright taillight will help keep some of the cars at a reasonable distance.

- CO2 + spare tubes get you back on the road faster.

- Try doing some volunteering at your local Bike Advocacy Group; they can usually use the benefit of your extra experience and it will make you feel good as well...
Old 10-07-07, 11:01 AM

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by piper_chuck
Huh? I thought this thread was for providing tips to new or returning RIDERS, not how to attract more advertising. And to be quite blunt, I pretty much ignore the banner ads. I know some people have issues with boards that sell ad space, but when you compare the features on the advertiser supported forums with those that aren't, the benefits (additional features) usually outweigh the (imagined) downsides. People often forget that it takes $$$ to run a board. The more members, the more money it takes. A board owner can go after ads, or they can ask for, or require, money from the members. Given these choices, the ads seem like a good choice.
Precisely, the ads seem like a good choice. The existing riders will be attracted to the forum for several reasons, one for content, and the other is for good deals on stuff. The "tips" is the content. So its both: content and ads.
Old 10-07-07, 11:22 AM

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Custom Steel Sport Touring, Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0 SL

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by webist
Clipless pedals are worth it even if you must overcome some intimidation and fear of falling. Practice with them. Think about them before you come to a stop.
I would supplement this with a recommendation I recently read on another thread. If you forget to unclip and tumble over, try to hang onto the bars and swivel your butt in the direction of the fall. That may just keep you from breaking a wrist or whacking your hip bone.
Old 10-07-07, 11:28 AM
Hills!

Bikes: 2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2005 Marin Novato, Trek 7100

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by donheff
I would supplement this with a recommendation I recently read on another thread. If you forget to unclip and tumble over, try to hang onto the bars and swivel your butt in the direction of the fall. That may just keep you from breaking a wrist or whacking your hip bone.
And I thought you were supposed to sacrifice your body (butt) to save the bike!
Old 10-07-07, 06:48 PM
road curmudgeon, FG rider

Bikes: 1973 Nishiki Professional, 1990 Serotta Colorado II, 2002 Waterford Track

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hello all! As a new 50 y/o I thought I would post here.

I started road cycling in 1970. Got my 1st really good road bike in 1973. Rode lots until college and grad school. Lead many club A rides until the birth of my 1st child. Took 12 yrs off parenting. Now the oldest child can help watch the other 2 so I am back in the saddle. However, I now lead B rides. Have lost 12 lbs since getting back on the bike. If I lose another 5 and keep my mileage up I may yet go out on A rides with my club.

As a present to myself I bought a carbon fiber bike last month. It does everything better than my steel bike. I call it "soulessly competent".

Regards

Gerry
Old 10-13-07, 03:49 AM
Jack (of all) Trades

Bikes: Modified Sun tadpole

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My wife and I road mountain bikes until our son came along. Last spring we brought the mountain bikes out and they were too uncomfortable for our various afflictions (old age and about +30 lbs each *grin*). Bought a couple of low end recumcbents and we started out with 7 miles a day in sheer comfort. Bike riding's fun again, so we get out and do it. 7 became 15 (we live a block away from a bike path) and 30+ miles is not a problem. We're not fast as we used to be, but we're having fun and getting back in shape.

Suggestions?

Find a bike that's comfortable and a fun place to ride, find someone whose company you enjoy, and start out just to have fun. Stop often for fun or necessity. Take a camera. Meet other people.

Next year - commuting.
Old 10-14-07, 04:24 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Expert, 1978 Raleigh Professional, Trex 4300A, Dahon Mariner 26, Dahon Classic Stainless 16

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just started cycling seriously this summer although I had been commuting the short distance to my part-time job. I had been running with my wife so it wasn't too difficult to quickly reach the 20-mile plateau. I gradually worked up to a hilly 40+ ride and then went on my first group ride, a century, but I did the 65-mile option with no particular problems. I'm hoping to do a century and possibly a 2-day double next summer. I need a new bike before I do that and all of the advice on fit that I have found in this thread and in BF in general have been very helpful.

+1 on the bike shorts and clipless pedals. The former plus Chamois Butt'r went a long way towards making the 20+ rides comfortable...in fact my butt was no longer an issue. It was my fingers which were always going numb on the longer rides. I changed grips and got gloves and bar-ends and that helped some. But I think bike fit has a lot to do with it too as I feel like I was having to lean harder on the handlebar than I should. I think when I get a new road bike, if it is fit properly, it will help to alleviate this problem as well. At any rate, if I can ride a hilly 65-mile course and just have tingly fingers to complain about, I guess that's okay, especially since I had just turned 60 before I started riding. And I've dropped from 189 to 174 lbs. since I started and I'm still losing. I agree with the diet advice...excercise alone won't do it. You have to eat better and eat less....sorry.
Old 10-15-07, 09:18 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congratulations!

Good for all you weight losers. I seem to be stuck in a Plateau. It has gone down since bike riding. Have to add something else or change the eating habits, although I don't think they are that bad. Couldn't gain muscle that fast could I? Six months of riding. My fingers go numb too. Sometimes worse than other times. I have to wear gloves now or they go numb from the cold. I bought some of those chamoise bike tights from Longcycle.com. Check them out, good prices. Also got some gloves with the finger tips open. I noticed I have built calluses on my right hand. But those do nothing to keep the hands warm. So switched to my leather gloves this morning. Only problem is they are a bit bulky. Riding for fun is the way to go, if it isn't fun you won't continue. I stop now for water breaks, something I was not doing for months on my (1/2 hour bike ride). I drink some orange juice before I leave too. This all seems to help with my muscles not getting sore and my stamina. I know I need to work on riding longer. Hubby can't ride any longer with me in the morning because of work, so I have to go further without him or go another time or take a walk. I am wondering if just 1/2 hour walk will start the weight loss up again if I add it to the biking. Guess I won't know until I try it. It is cooling off here in Az, it was 53 this morning, really perfect for riding. But I am not looking forward to 40 or below. Guess layers of clothing will help that. You all keep up the riding, I love it, just don't like getting up before it is light out now. My body clock is all messed up now.
Old 10-15-07, 09:30 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for suggestions

Thanks for the suggestions, what you are saying makes sense. I know my weight loss without changing my diet before was a few things, getting off of Paxil after ten years, exercise six days for 45 minutes, and probably eating a bit less because I did not crave carbs as much being off Paxil.
I would like to lose another 32#. Right now I am at a Women's 14-16, sometimes 18, depends on how it fits. My upper body sure needs more. The belly and upper arms. I know I need to add strength training, but I also know aerobics is what gets rid of the fat. I have a layer of fat over the muscle in my tummy. But I have to look at my progress and realize I am in a better place than a year ago. I have a "happy heart." Being 52 I don't expect or even want a size 10 body. Only if it comes naturally. I would be happy with an average body for American women, 12-14! I have dropped 3 sizes.
Old 10-16-07, 04:30 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dieting website

Checked out the website, it does make sense. But so do a lot of diet sites. Is this worth spending the money on? Are there foods that are off limits?
Thanks,
Linda

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.