Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

65-85+ Thread

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

65-85+ Thread

Old 02-27-21, 10:04 AM
  #3301  
Restrec
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Restrec View Post
I have had to reduce my sexual activity substantially in order to be bike efficient Any suggestions. ?
What I mean is that if I eyaculate, the rest of the day I can not ride my bike at all, just rest and wait 24 hours to even think about it.I take zinc which helps you recover a little bit, but that's it, I'm grounded for the day.. I can not give up sex and I can not give up biking, whtat is the soloution ?
Restrec is offline  
Old 02-27-21, 10:39 AM
  #3302  
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling
 
Carbonfiberboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Everett, WA
Posts: 17,347

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2896 Post(s)
Liked 808 Times in 606 Posts
Originally Posted by Restrec View Post
I have had to reduce my sexual activity substantially in order to be bike efficient Any suggestions. ?
Yeah, do it the other way around. A happy wife is worth the world. Myself, I'm not sure that one affects the other IF one's saddle is the right one and in the correct position. My only issue with riding is occasional cramping, not on the bike.

I have read somewhere that a lot of hard exercise depresses sex hormones, but I haven't seen any studies of that. I do know that there is history of long distance riders experiencing ED due to perineal compression on the wrong saddle, but that was before modern slotted saddles appeared, and was in fact the reason for their development. I don't get a numbie, no matter how long the ride. It also helps to stand every 10 minutes or so.
__________________
Results matter
Carbonfiberboy is offline  
Old 02-27-21, 10:48 AM
  #3303  
Restrec
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy View Post
Yeah, do it the other way around. A happy wife is worth the world. Myself, I'm not sure that one affects the other IF one's saddle is the right one and in the correct position. My only issue with riding is occasional cramping, not on the bike.

I have read somewhere that a lot of hard exercise depresses sex hormones, but I haven't seen any studies of that. I do know that there is history of long distance riders experiencing ED due to perineal compression on the wrong saddle, but that was before modern slotted saddles appeared, and was in fact the reason for their development. I don't get a numbie, no matter how long the ride. It also helps to stand every 10 minutes or so.
Yea, you are right, I guess I'll keep both, of course the only way is alternating them and not riding to hard on the bike day. Thanks.
Restrec is offline  
Old 02-27-21, 10:56 AM
  #3304  
smoore
Senior Member
 
smoore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Hour north of Atlanta, Gainesville GA
Posts: 963

Bikes: Primary ride now a LOOK 585-Love it.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by McBTC View Post
, concerning sexual activity - try tilting your saddle down a bit more to prevent perineal injury.
However you wife may wonder if you've been reading some new books or something?
smoore is offline  
Old 03-01-21, 11:25 AM
  #3305  
smoore
Senior Member
 
smoore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Hour north of Atlanta, Gainesville GA
Posts: 963

Bikes: Primary ride now a LOOK 585-Love it.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Restrec View Post
. I can not give up sex and I can not give up biking, whtat is the soloution ?
A tandem?
smoore is offline  
Old 03-01-21, 12:00 PM
  #3306  
Restrec
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tandem good with a condition !

Originally Posted by smoore View Post
A tandem?
Seems like a good solution as long as the wife rides in front so I can check her pedaling and bike position and look at the landscape once in a while LOL
Restrec is offline  
Old 03-02-21, 09:16 AM
  #3307  
McBTC
Senior Member
 
McBTC's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 3,806

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1512 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Restrec View Post
Seems like a good solution as long as the wife rides in front so I can check her pedaling and bike position and look at the landscape once in a while LOL
Maybe-- personally though, I don't recommend sex on a bicycle... not saying there's anything wrong with that.
McBTC is offline  
Old 03-02-21, 09:42 AM
  #3308  
Wildwood
Veteran, Pacifist
 
Wildwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Seattle area
Posts: 10,800

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 242 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2691 Post(s)
Liked 1,503 Times in 887 Posts
Sex prevents you from riding?
Either total bull hockey.
Or get to a doctor quickly, and accurately describe your problem.
He/She will either chuckle at you (unlikely) or start the search for a solution.
Or live with it.
The rest of us do.
Not every problem has an attractively acceptable solution.
I hesitate to say it - maybe just HTFU.
Wildwood is offline  
Old 03-03-21, 04:42 PM
  #3309  
Marquezdl
Old knees
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Manizales
Posts: 2

Bikes: 2 custom steel Davidsons, one aluminum specialized

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Almost 71,

Almost 71 and I am burned out on my Rolhoff, my nexus 8, and my 1x9. I live most of the year at almost 7000 feet in Manizales Colombia. All my rides involve LOTS of vertical. Both ways. Downhill I just say thanks to the laws of Gravity. However uphill is another story. I have a 1x9 with a 32cw and 46 rear cog that allows me to get up the hills ( most of the time). However I have never forgotten how much I enjoyed riding a singlespeed for years (a flip flop with fixed/free). However I am pretty sure that wóuld lead to mostly just walking the bike uphill. My typical ride is a 12 mile out and back. Uphill all the way out with over 1500 vertical feet of climbing - the trip home is mostly just steering! But I have started thinking about a white bros. 2 speed freewheel with a Schlumpf bottom bracket. I think I could male that work, I just HATE derailleurs. Thats why one of my bikes is a nexus 8, and my tourong bike is a Rolhoff. I gave up the singlespeed at about 62 due to knee problems. However I have lost a a few pounds and am actually much fitter now, I think some kind of flip flop hub, with a 2 speed BB might actually work. I would still have to do some walking I think, but what the hell, be lots more interesting during the riding part.
anybody here experimented with such a setup?

Last edited by Marquezdl; 03-03-21 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Wanted to finish the post
Marquezdl is offline  
Old 03-03-21, 08:43 PM
  #3310  
McBTC
Senior Member
 
McBTC's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 3,806

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1512 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Marquezdl View Post
Almost 71 and I am burned out on my Rolhoff, my nexus 8, and my 1x9. I live most of the year at almost 7000 feet in Manizales Colombia. All my rides involve LOTS of vertical. Both ways. Downhill I just say thanks to the laws of Gravity. However uphill is another story. I have a 1x9 with a 32cw and 46 rear cog that allows me to get up the hills ( most of the time). However I have never forgotten how much I enjoyed riding a singlespeed for years (a flip flop with fixed/free). However I am pretty sure that wóuld lead to mostly just walking the bike uphill. My typical ride is a 12 mile out and back. Uphill all the way out with over 1500 vertical feet of climbing - the trip home is mostly just steering! But I have started thinking about a white bros. 2 speed freewheel with a Schlumpf bottom bracket. I think I could male that work, I just HATE derailleurs. Thats why one of my bikes is a nexus 8, and my tourong bike is a Rolhoff. I gave up the singlespeed at about 62 due to knee problems. However I have lost a a few pounds and am actually much fitter now, I think some kind of flip flop hub, with a 2 speed BB might actually work. I would still have to do some walking I think, but what the hell, be lots more interesting during the riding part.
anybody here experimented with such a setup?
Same here, age and mileage but a compact with a 1:1, shortened crank and knee replacement but, limited now by an increasingly troublesome arthritic left hip and not sure if I have any further accommodations I can make other than a joint replacement without taking 3 Aleve a day...

Last edited by McBTC; 03-03-21 at 08:49 PM.
McBTC is offline  
Old 03-04-21, 08:17 AM
  #3311  
Marquezdl
Old knees
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Manizales
Posts: 2

Bikes: 2 custom steel Davidsons, one aluminum specialized

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That is one beautiful DeRosa. I had a late 80’s DeRosa set up as a fixie, then a singlespeed for about 20 years. Never had a set of those spectacular Delta’s though!
Marquezdl is offline  
Old 03-07-21, 06:50 PM
  #3312  
DeadGrandpa
Philosopher of Bicycling
 
DeadGrandpa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Carolina
Posts: 1,080

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by Restrec View Post
What I mean is that if I eyaculate, the rest of the day I can not ride my bike at all, just rest and wait 24 hours to even think about it.I take zinc which helps you recover a little bit, but that's it, I'm grounded for the day.. I can not give up sex and I can not give up biking, whtat is the soloution ?
I got a prescription for a testosterone replacement cream. You should get your blood T level checked periodically if you get this, but it was life changing (or saving) for me. 68 yrs old.
DeadGrandpa is offline  
Old 03-07-21, 07:27 PM
  #3313  
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling
 
Carbonfiberboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Everett, WA
Posts: 17,347

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2896 Post(s)
Liked 808 Times in 606 Posts
Originally Posted by Restrec View Post
What I mean is that if I eyaculate, the rest of the day I can not ride my bike at all, just rest and wait 24 hours to even think about it.I take zinc which helps you recover a little bit, but that's it, I'm grounded for the day.. I can not give up sex and I can not give up biking, whtat is the soloution ?
That is odd indeed. You need to see an endocrinologist. There are many different hormones involved in love and sex - it's really complicated, as if you didn't know that: https://sitn.hms.harvard.edu/flash/2...companionship/
__________________
Results matter
Carbonfiberboy is offline  
Old 03-22-21, 07:48 AM
  #3314  
McBTC
Senior Member
 
McBTC's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 3,806

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1512 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy View Post
That is odd indeed. You need to see an endocrinologist. There are many different hormones involved in love and sex - it's really complicated, as if you didn't know that: https://sitn.hms.harvard.edu/flash/2...companionship/
Or... just take a little magnesium?
McBTC is offline  
Old 03-31-21, 01:53 PM
  #3315  
Irishred
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 60

Bikes: Tour Easy; Rans Stratus XP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Sex/bike

A guy once told me that riding a bike is better than having sex.
I told him- either you don't know how to have sex, or I don't know how to ride a bike (:
Irishred is offline  
Likes For Irishred:
Old 03-31-21, 05:20 PM
  #3316  
Ballenxj
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 925

Bikes: Diamond Back Apex, Mongoose IBOC Aluminum Road Bike, SR road bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by Irishred View Post
A guy once told me that riding a bike is better than having sex.
I told him- either you don't know how to have sex, or I don't know how to ride a bike (:
Ballenxj is offline  
Likes For Ballenxj:
Old 04-03-21, 04:38 PM
  #3317  
drr timberline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Olney, IL
Posts: 12

Bikes: 2006 GT Timberline LTD Ladies Frame, 2005 GT Timberline LTD Mens Frame, Schwinn Signature Streamliner 2 Step Thru

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
So how hard can it be to understand?

"You must be 65 + to post on this thread." In other words, "NO BABY BOOMERS ALLOWED"
I think i'm a baby boomer. Born in '53, makes me 68. Am I ok?
drr timberline is offline  
Old 04-04-21, 11:52 AM
  #3318  
philbob57
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Chicago North Shore
Posts: 1,623

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 135 Posts
The boom is defined as 1946-1964. People born during 5/9 of the boom years qualify for this thread. I believe more kids were born during the early part of the boom, so my bet is that a majority of boomers qualify.
philbob57 is online now  
Old 04-04-21, 04:28 PM
  #3319  
rsbob 
Sniveling Weasel
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Seattle-ish
Posts: 843

Bikes: Rodriguez Racing Tandem, Fondriest Steelie, Bianchi Trofeo, Bianchi Infinito, Schwinn Varsity, Trek mtn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 259 Posts
Originally Posted by drr timberline View Post
I think i'm a baby boomer. Born in '53, makes me 68. Am I ok?
Oh no! I was born in 54 so I must be a real interloper. So what pre-dated boomers? America’s greatest generation? If so, with gen X,Y, Z we are running out of letters.
__________________
Rick Seattle-ish, Wa.

“He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche



rsbob is offline  
Old 04-04-21, 05:13 PM
  #3320  
aRoudy1
Senior Member
 
aRoudy1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Cle Elum, WA
Posts: 290

Bikes: Rans Stratus LE, Terra Trike Sport

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob View Post
Oh no! I was born in 54 so I must be a real interloper. So what pre-dated boomers? America’s greatest generation? If so, with gen X,Y, Z we are running out of letters.
Pre-boomer generation is known as the Silent Generation--which is why you don't hear much from us!
aRoudy1 is online now  
Old 04-05-21, 08:50 PM
  #3321  
McBTC
Senior Member
 
McBTC's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 3,806

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1512 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by aRoudy1 View Post
Pre-boomer generation is known as the Silent Generation--which is why you don't hear much from us!
​​​​​​
65 and older means, Generation Jones is moving in...
McBTC is offline  
Old 04-05-21, 09:09 PM
  #3322  
mr_bill
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4,327
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1973 Post(s)
Liked 455 Times in 328 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
So how hard can it be to understand?

"You must be 65 + to post on this thread." In other words, "NO BABY BOOMERS ALLOWED"

Originally Posted by drr timberline View Post
I think i'm a baby boomer. Born in '53, makes me 68. Am I ok?
Just a quick note that back in 2008 when Retro Grouch wrote that, baby boomers were not yet 65.

Sorry for the interloping, may be back in a couple of years.

-mr. bill
mr_bill is offline  
Old 04-06-21, 02:20 PM
  #3323  
philbob57
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Chicago North Shore
Posts: 1,623

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 135 Posts
How long ago WAS 2008? It seems like only a couple of years ago....
philbob57 is online now  
Old 04-07-21, 08:51 AM
  #3324  
dr1445
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Broad Brook CT
Posts: 549

Bikes: jamis 2002 komodo, univega aplina uno, miele toscana 300, 1972 puch brigadier, Marin Sausalito

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

hi; had bad knees for years, reduced my riding in 2018 to 5 miles, right knee surgery 2019, down to 3 miles maybe 3 -4 times week, 2020 left knee surgery, same old story. in jan and feb 21 [@76 hard to face the cold!]. i tried some 5mile runs, which resulted in knee flareups lasting a week. meanwhile i put together a 1x10 from a miele toscana frame i had hanging on the wall. previously i was running 3x9 mtb gears to keep the knee load low. 36 upfront 11-40 in the rear, i am still working on the gearing, i have a 11-36 coming and may try a 38 upfront as i seem to be over geared for uphills and under geared for downhills. put the bike together with china parts, runs well for the moment. how long the components or i last on a bike is debatable. just did a 5 mile run, now wait and see what the knees say.
dr1445 is offline  
Likes For dr1445:
Old 04-08-21, 03:47 PM
  #3325  
rydabent
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Lincoln Ne
Posts: 8,878

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2264 Post(s)
Liked 593 Times in 353 Posts
Originally Posted by zonatandem View Post
Dave: Skip the trike . . . get a tandem; you can't loose her in traffic and she does not have to steer, shift, brake . . . just pedal and pinch your bunz if you misbehave!
How about a tandem trike???
rydabent is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.