Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Am I cynical??---Honest answers (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/461873-am-i-cynical-honest-answers.html)

will dehne 09-05-08 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by monk (Post 7405520)
I've learned alot on this forum, but my biggest complaint is that legitimate questions are often made fun of.

All my questions were answered by this forum. Yes, there were some sarcastic replies but that should be expected in an open forum.
-------------------------------------------------
The issue I am seeing is related but different. I bike a lot. Far more than most people on this forum. I do encounter issues while I am doing this much biking. That means that only few forum members can relate to my questions and opinions. That is not the fault of this forum. The fact is that very few bikers bike as much as I do for exercise. I see proof of that every time I go on the local trails. Nobody is there except me. That is OK but makes it a bit lonely at times. Perhaps I need to move to CA?:rolleyes:

DnvrFox 09-05-08 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by jens5 (Post 7406020)
I agree. Same old s**t, over and over. I find that I now search for just the specifics.
It's like new rock. It's all been done before.

You know, there are only so many questions and so many answers. I've been here 7 years as of 2 weeks ago, and I have literally heard them all and the answers. So, why do I stick around?

I enjoy the fellowship. Plain and simple.

If you are only here for new info, then it is time to say "Sayonara" IMHO.

DnvrFox 09-05-08 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by will dehne (Post 7407291)
Perhaps I need to move to CA?:rolleyes:

Move to CO, and I will ride with you. We can start out together, and you can ride to the end, come back, meet me, ride to the end again, come back, and then I should be pretty close to the end, also!:D

BLIZZ 09-05-08 11:03 AM

All my questions were answered by this forum. Yes, there were some sarcastic replies but that should be expected in an open forum.
-------------------------------------------------
The issue I am seeing is related but different. I bike a lot. Far more than most people on this forum. I do encounter issues while I am doing this much biking. That means that only few forum members can relate to my questions and opinions. That is not the fault of this forum. The fact is that very few bikers bike as much as I do for exercise. I see proof of that every time I go on the local trails. Nobody is there except me. That is OK but makes it a bit lonely at times. Perhaps I need to move to CA?:rolleyes:

WOW......I wish you would post more than you do on this forum.
I would be able to ask a great rider such as you, who rides sooo much farther than I do {on the trails?} all kinds of questions that you would for sure know because of your experience.:rolleyes:
But then.....I probably wouldn't be able to relate to your questions and opinions.;)

Tom Bombadil 09-05-08 12:51 PM

Perhaps I need to move to CA?:rolleyes:

The Chilean Andes?

Tom Bombadil 09-05-08 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by BLIZZ (Post 7407536)
WOW......I wish you would post more than you do on this forum.
I would be able to ask a great rider such as you, who rides sooo much farther than I do {on the trails?} all kinds of questions that you would for sure know because of your experience.:rolleyes:
But then.....I probably wouldn't be able to relate to your questions and opinions.;)

Will has posted here hundreds of times. I'd bet money on his claim that he rides more miles than *MOST* people on this forum.

BLIZZ 09-05-08 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil (Post 7408359)
Will has posted here hundreds of times. I'd bet money on his claim that he rides more miles than *MOST* people on this forum.

I wasn't as much concerned about the validity of Wills statement, as I was in the condescending method of delivery.

Jet Travis 09-05-08 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by BSLeVan (Post 7405916)
Harry Stack Sullivan coined the term consensual validation. By it he meant the process of seeking confirmation that our experiences, thoughts, ideas, etc. were a normal function of seeking to know that our subjective perceptions were not aberrant and could fit within the context of objective reality. In many ways this process leads individuals toward higher levels of adaptive interpersonal skills. What seems obvious to one may not be perceived in the same way by another. My grandmother would have said all of this thusly: "Folks are what they are and they do what they got to do."

Admit it: This is just a fancy way of telling me that I need to buy a new bike.

BSLeVan 09-05-08 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Jet Travis (Post 7409630)
Admit it: This is just a fancy way of telling me that I need to buy a new bike.

Do you think you need to buy a new bike? I would suspect that you'd get considerable validation for that position on this forum.

Jet Travis 09-05-08 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by BSLeVan (Post 7409641)
Do you think you need to buy a new bike? I would suspect that you'd get considerable validation for that position on this forum.

OK, OK, if you insist, I'm going to buy that new bike.

BengeBoy 09-05-08 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by BLIZZ (Post 7408734)
I wasn't as much concerned about the validity of Wills statement, as I was in the condescending method of delivery.

For what it's worth, I didn't see Will's post as condescending. I guess I've been around just long enough to recognize the writing/posting style of many of our more frequent guests. Will tends to be a pretty straight shooter and writes pretty matter-of-fact posts (without a lot of "faffing around," as someonen once said).

I think Will was just saying in a matter-of-fact way that he rides a *lot* more than most of us and has riding/biking/conditioning questions that are in a different league than most of us. As far as I can tell, that's true.:thumb:

RoMad 09-05-08 05:10 PM

I have read many of Will"s posts with great interest and I find him to be honest,dedicated, hard working, nearly fanatical at times in his training, but never condescending. I think picking on Will would be about as popular as inviting everyone over from the road forum. :eek:

DnvrFox 09-05-08 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by BLIZZ (Post 7408734)

Will is anything but condescending. He has been around a long time. He speaks truthfully, stating his thoughts and opinions right up front and not couched in pretty language, and I appreciate that.

As Will rides a trainer 6 hours a day, and rides across the country in 27 riding days, I believe he is right that he is in another league, and while I have no desire to EVER do that, I greatly respect WIll for his accomplishments. ANd, he is, of course, a 65+'r, which makes him even more special.

BLIZZ 09-05-08 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by RoMad (Post 7409973)
I have read many of Will"s posts with great interest and I find him to be honest,dedicated, hard working, nearly fanatical at times in his training, but never condescending. I think picking on Will would be about as popular as inviting everyone over from the road forum. :eek:

Wasn't trying to pick on Will. Nor was I concerned about my reply being popular.
It just struck me funny that the problem Will has with this forum, is based on the fact that MOST of the posters can't relate to his questions and opinions because they don't ride as much as he does.

I realize that written word can sometimes be misunderstood. Apparently I just did that.
Will. Please accept my sincere apology.

chicharron 09-06-08 05:39 PM

what ever happened to DoverFox?
If this talkboard is too dull for you, then may I suggest going to the London Guardian.uk GUT talkboards. The Brits are supposedly known for their manners and politness, but that talkboard is so rabid and mean. It really gets heated!!!

chicharron 09-06-08 05:40 PM

I much prefer this talkboard site then the Guardian. This is so much more pleasent and friendly.

rraabfaber 09-06-08 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 7405608)
Even in the thread where a poster asked what a MUP is, Red Rider suggested Google which does provide the answer. After some good natured banter, MaddMaxx gave the answer. OK, OK, we could have been a little more forthcoming, but really, how long would the forum last if everyone was so stodgy? :D

Exactly. That was me that asked about the MUP and I appreciated the fun. A community is not a community without friendly interaction. Honestly, if all BF was was a place to have a question answered, I wouldn't bother to come back. As someone mentioned, maybe it's a slow time of the year. In order for a community like this to last, people need to stay in touch in between.

On the other hand, I know from years of belonging to various online communities, there are always some people who hate anything remotely OT, and that's just how it is.

Louis 09-06-08 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by rraabfaber (Post 7416050)
Exactly. That was me that asked about the MUP and I appreciated the fun. A community is not a community without friendly interaction. Honestly, if all BF was was a place to have a question answered, I wouldn't bother to come back. As someone mentioned, maybe it's a slow time of the year. In order for a community like this to last, people need to stay in touch in between.

On the other hand, I know from years of belonging to various online communities, there are always some people who hate anything remotely OT, and that's just how it is.

Occasionally posters will come here, complain that we goof around too much, get all pissed off and leave. :rolleyes: There was a lively discussion recently about the "faffing" that goes on here. And guess what? We're still faffing.:p:thumb:

VROD 09-06-08 08:28 PM

you can be cynical if you want.I am also not social I prefer to ride my motorcycles alone and also to ride mike bicycle alone I joined this forum in 2004 when I bought a bmx bike at 52 and I still ride it some with my 6 year old grand daughter.I have mostly been lurking for 4 years only posting occasionally.When I decided to start back road riding a month ago here is were I came for imformation and got what I needed although I heard some static about my writing and typing in the ss fixie forum but thats ok I am inventory control manager at collier harley davidson "I do numbers" and hate english lol.I still found the information that I wanted and bought the fixie that I wanted it is probably more bike than I needed with more gear than I need but thats ok its what I wanted and I have been riding every chance I get.I may change the gearing in the future.
I didn't think I would be able to ride today becase of tropical storm hannah but she moved on out about 4:00 and the sun came out just at the time I was getting off work.I went home ate and went for a ride as I rode out of town up a little hill hannah left me a present "a head wind" man I need a lower gear then at my turn around spot about 7.5 mi I had a tail wind man this gear is great lol.THIS FORUM IS GREAT I ALWAYS GET GOOD INFORMATION AND SOMETIMES I CHOOSE TO IGNORE IT AND DO IT MY WAY BUT THATS OK TOO BECAUSE FOR ME RIDING IS ABOUT HAVING FUN AND I AM HAVING FUN THANKS FOR LETTING ME RAMBLE AND YES I DO GET PICKED ON AT THE HD SHOP FOR WEARING THOSE TIGHT SHORTS.

Retro Grouch 09-07-08 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by VROD (Post 7416375)
AND YES I DO GET PICKED ON AT THE HD SHOP FOR WEARING THOSE TIGHT SHORTS.

I guess that Harley's are OK if you're not man enough to make it go by yourself.

maddmaxx 09-07-08 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by card (Post 7403403)
I'll admit, I'm not a very social animal; however, it seems an inordinate amount of posts lately pose a redundant question that no one can answer other the the OP. Maybe it's just me, but the forum seems to be a little stagnant lately. OK, FLAMES accepted.

Back to the original post.

Yes, the character of 50+ has changed over the last few months.

I'd have to say that the great moderator wars of 08 did not do this place much good. Many regular posters are silent or nearly silent these days. Some are gone forever. As one who took his place in those wars, I will not go back there ever. I hope that I learned something from those events that will help in the future.

Having said that, I have also noticed a change in most of the other BF forums that I post in as well. Unlike the faffing here (which I consider just fine, in fact I believe it is a natural event in the gathering of 50+ers in most other places as well), there is a nasty edge of sniping in most of the forums. I believe I mentioned that in the mechanics forum that there is less real help, more "use google" and a lot of just plain bad mechanical advice. A&S is world of its own filled with words of hate for automobile drivers, police, authority in general and certainly for those who post dissenting viewpoints. Some here have ventured to the road forum and returned brused. Most can't speak Mountain biking, prefering the old fashoned english.

I guess we could look at it this way.........if you keep coming back then you must sort of like it here. If you don't like it here and you keep on coming back........help change the place with your posts (but don't just sit and complain)

DnvrFox 09-07-08 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by maddmaxx (Post 7417845)
Back to the original post.

Yes, the character of 50+ has changed over the last few months.

And, the character has changed over the years, also.

At one time, there was not much "faffing" but mostly just questions and answers about bicycling and differences, etc., for those over 50.

A couple of years back, it changed a bit into a sort of "how cute can I make my posts" mode, how clever can I make my writing.

I resisted this for a bit, then resigned myself to it and decided that if I can't fight it, I would just join it. However, I am not as cute or as clever as some other writers, so I started feeling "left out" a bit. I know some other posters who left about that time.

But, that is the character of forums. How boring it would be if it was always the same thing, year after year. Bah - that would be stifling.

So, enjoy the differences - or leave, I guess.

I really miss some folks such as Cross Chain and others. They added a particular flavor that was very valuable.

Life is change!

Tom Bombadil 09-07-08 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by DnvrFox (Post 7417883)
At one time, there was not much "faffing" but mostly just questions and answers about bicycling and differences, etc., for those over 50.

There is still a LOT of bicycling and 50+ related posts. Consistently a lot of them.

Digital Gee 09-07-08 06:41 PM

Where should I post if I have a question about which bike to buy?

Yen 09-07-08 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Digital Gee (Post 7420620)
Where should I post if I have a question about which bike to buy?

That would be the White Bikes Forum.

About Will.... I don't call him Iron Will for nothing. I'm in complete agreement with those who came to his defense. That said... BLIZZ, your apology was first class. I'm not saying you had to.... but you did. Just sayin'. :thumb:

I love this forum. For me, it's a perfect combination of solid bike/cycling knowledge, a place where I can share my own (limited) knowledge with other newbies who came after me, a place to socialize with a group of like-minded mature folks (I said mature, not old!), and comic relief. There is no forum format that will please 100% of the people 100% of the time.

And Dnvr -- I think you're as funny as the rest of them, in your own witty way. :)