Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Am I cynical??---Honest answers (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/461873-am-i-cynical-honest-answers.html)

gcottay 09-07-08 08:26 PM

In my estimation, the percentage of postings worth reading here far exceeds the Internet average and the atmosphere is such that content of high value does not get lost in the background noise. Any of us who want superior threads or postings can provide them.

tsl 09-07-08 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by Jet Travis (Post 7405331)
The 50+ forum is like a lion that is dozing in the sunshine. It seems to be in a deep sleep. But if you mention something controversial, like chain lube, it will come roaring back to life.

< jolts awake >

Wha' huh? Chain lube?

I'm a Tri-Flow man, myself.

< dozes off >

lbear 09-07-08 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by Louis (Post 7404576)
DG is missing, Catweasel is missing, and lord knows how we miss Big Paulie.

Need I say more?:)

How long do you need to post until people miss you when your gone??

jiminos 09-07-08 09:32 PM

i've always gotten good answers to my questions. and a little good natured ribbing as well, at times. i guess it comes with the territory. this forum is friendlier than most. more informative than most. more welcoming than most. and that's more than enough for me.

be well,

jim

BengeBoy 09-07-08 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by tsl (Post 7421809)
< jolts awake >

Wha' huh? Chain lube?

I'm a Tri-Flow man, myself.

< dozes off >

Ick.

After experimenting with several over the past year, I'm now 100% devoted to White Lightning.

Louis 09-07-08 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by lbear (Post 7421868)
How long do you need to post until people miss you when your gone??

I don't think it has much to do with seniority. It's mostly about charisma and quality of posts. Catweasel, for instance, has been a member only a few short months, but go back and check out some of his posts. He's one of those blokes who lights up the room with his presence.

There are many, many others who were not mentioned that keep this place hoppin' for those same reasons.:)

lbear 09-07-08 11:43 PM

I guess I need to work on my charisma and room lighting ability.

DnvrFox 09-08-08 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by Yen (Post 7421168)
And Dnvr -- I think you're as funny as the rest of them, in your own witty way. :)

I guess if there is anything I have really learned about forums, is to NOT take anything seriously. apologize easily, and back off quickly.

I have actually lost sleep in years way back over forum posts and responses.

Now, talk about being stupid.

No more.

Rober 09-08-08 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by lbear (Post 7422541)
I guess I need to work on my charisma and room lighting ability.

Ha! Maybe I do too. The same thing happens to me here as happens in "real time" gatherings. People are polite, but eventually ignore me in favor of those they feel they know better. That's OK. I still enjoy following the discussions, and have learned a lot from just listening. If I have the urge to contribute (or, god forbid, give advice:eek:), it is usually me that needs to hear it most.

card 09-08-08 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Digital Gee (Post 7420620)
Where should I post if I have a question about which WHITE bike to buy?

fixed

lbear 09-08-08 06:30 PM

Ya I am a real thread killer myself. It always seems after I post it dies. :eek:

Tom Bombadil 09-08-08 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by lbear (Post 7428035)
Ya I am a real thread killer myself. It always seems after I post it dies. :eek:

Not this time.

lbear 09-08-08 07:23 PM

Oh yea! :lol:
(last word)

Kurt Erlenbach 09-08-08 07:34 PM

This forum has changed a bit recently, and I'm sure it will change again. Each forum has its own personality. I read in a forum once, maybe this one, that there's only about 50,000 original words that can be said about bicycling (in the context of how Bicycling magazine must keep recycling the same articles). That's a bit severe, but basically true, so the same topics come up over and over (but that's true about life too). Not something to worry about.

VROD 09-08-08 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch (Post 7417659)
I guess that Harley's are OK if you're not man enough to make it go by yourself.

lol I started riding harleys in 1971 I rode hondas and triumphs before that.In those years sometimes I had to make it go by myself.I still own a 1969 sprint I tell people its the only motorcycle I have owned that I pushed it more than I rode it.

Garfield Cat 09-09-08 09:36 AM

If you have ever been a school teacher or a job supervisor in charge of training, then you know that sharing experiences and knowledge is a good thing. Coaching too, in sports, etc.

How many times have you experienced burned out teachers, or simply bad teaching or coaching or self centered supervisors?

The bike forum could be a place for all lurkers, newbies, and old riders with new issues to gather and get support.

Digital Gee 09-09-08 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Kerlenbach (Post 7428507)
I read in a forum once, maybe this one, that there's only about 50,000 original words that can be said about bicycling (in the context of how Bicycling magazine must keep recycling the same articles). That's a bit severe, but basically true, so the same topics come up over and over (but that's true about life too). Not something to worry about.

Uh oh. I've probably used up my 50,000 already! (Right, Dnvr???)

maddmaxx 09-09-08 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Digital Gee (Post 7432169)
Uh oh. I've probably used up my 50,000 already! (Right, Dnvr???)

Just because of you..........new words had to be invented.

Allegheny Jet 09-09-08 11:15 AM

I like this forum because everyone is near my age and has had the same kinds of life experiance. Once we mature (according to my wife, I've recently matured) our take on life's events is tempered. I like to ride fast so I will also visit and post on the Road Forum and expect to be challenged and over ruled by those with far less experiance and intellect due in part because they may be Cat 4 riders with some upgrade points.:D On this forum no question is so dumb that it wont be answered by someone, it just needs a couple "snark" comments to set up the real answer.

maddmaxx 09-09-08 11:31 AM

We can take more time with dumb questions because we have more dumb answers...