Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Flats and stupid mini-pumps

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Flats and stupid mini-pumps

Old 11-30-23, 05:12 PM
  #76  
The Wheezing Geezer
 
Fredo76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: EspaŮola, NM
Posts: 958

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 400 Posts
I've used this medium-sized pump successfully:

https://probiketool.com/products/min...ump-with-gauge
Fredo76 is offline  
Old 11-30-23, 07:20 PM
  #77  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: western Massachusetts (greater Springfield area)
Posts: 699

Bikes: Velosolex St. Tropez, LeMond Zurich (spine bike), Rotator swb recumbent

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 67 Times in 32 Posts
Agreed, however, when it comes to pumps, I'll go for function. The thing about the Morph is that it is a mini floor pump and you can get much more leverage against the groud than with a frame pump held in mid air.

I use a Nashbar knockoff of the Blackburn frame pump. I just find a curb, rock, stick or tree root to lie the wheel down with the pump head against it, and then it is just like using a (one handed) floor pump. Easy to get to 120 psi. I have saved a few others who blew through their 2 CO2 cartridges.
MikeWMass is offline  
Old 11-30-23, 07:26 PM
  #78  
Rider. Wanderer. Creator.
 
john m flores's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 693

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Cinelli Hobootleg, Zizzo Liberte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 684 Times in 326 Posts
I got a flat when this thread was started. Started using my mini pump. I'm nearly finished.
john m flores is offline  
Likes For john m flores:
Old 11-30-23, 09:30 PM
  #79  
Senior Member
 
big john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In the foothills of Los Angeles County
Posts: 24,921
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8081 Post(s)
Liked 8,695 Times in 4,324 Posts
Originally Posted by john m flores
I got a flat when this thread was started. Started using my mini pump. I'm nearly finished.
Keep going, you'll get there.
big john is offline  
Old 11-30-23, 09:37 PM
  #80  
Grupetto Bob
 
rsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Seattle-ish
Posts: 5,920

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2444 Post(s)
Liked 5,249 Times in 2,742 Posts
Originally Posted by john m flores
I got a flat when this thread was started. Started using my mini pump. I'm nearly finished.
Report back if you get it inflated by Jan 1 (you pick the year).
__________________
Road 🚴🏾‍♂️ & Mountain 🚵🏾‍♂️







rsbob is offline  
Likes For rsbob:
Old 12-01-23, 09:27 AM
  #81  
It's MY mountain
 
DiabloScott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Mt.Diablo
Posts: 9,979

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4274 Post(s)
Liked 2,912 Times in 1,576 Posts
Originally Posted by jkretsch
Got a spare mount for the Hurricane Air Scepter you'd like to sell?
Sure, call my home phone: KLondike-5-3058.
DiabloScott is offline  
Old 12-01-23, 10:02 AM
  #82  
Senior Member
 
79pmooney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 12,730

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4697 Post(s)
Liked 3,776 Times in 2,457 Posts
Originally Posted by John E
I have always had good luck with today's full-size frame-fit pumps. I have a Blackburn which fits between the downtube pegs on the UO-8 and Zefal HP-Xs along the seat tubes of the Bianchi and Capo #1. I have a Mt. Zefal frame fit pump on the peg on the back of the Schwinn's seat tube, taking advantage of all the tire clearance.
Yup, Full size frame pumps. I've stuck with the Zephal HPX pumps; having been completely sold by the earlier HPs. For more than a decade, I did not own a car, I rode sewups on all my bikes and every bike had its HP. I had and used no other pumps. Pumps only got replaced when lost or run over by a car. (This was before the invented that stuff, Velcro.) Except in winter when I needed snow and ice traction, my tire pressures were 105 psi plus.

The challenge now is carrying those pumps on a modern frame. (Kinda bugs me because the need for tire pressure is just as high now as it was 100 years ago and the physics of pumps never changed. (Skinny to keep required arm effort down, long to get volume up and number of strokes down. Those Zephals, both the old HPs and the HPXs pump most tires to the full pressure you want to ride in under 100 strokes. I don't know their max pressure but 120 psi is not hard to do.)

Figure out a secure way to carry the HPX. Problem (at least of getting the air in) solved. (I'm not bad mouthing any of the other good full frame pumps. I've just never used them. The Zephals have been, quite simply, so good, that why?

Edit: And those Zephals don't use hoses. I know that in the 2020s, hoses are good; they don't cause valve failures. I learned to hold the pump head and tire together with my left hand and pump into that resisting hand, not the valve 50 years ago. I don't trash valve stem/tube interfaces (at least not pumping; tires sliding on very hard braking descents and my spaciness mounting tires can be an issue). Not having to mess with a hose is, at least in my opinion, a real plus. Also, the contents of a hose has to be pumped up to full pressure, then discarded when you take it off the valve stem. Not a whole lot of air, but still ... No hose - simply faster. And isn't that better, even if it takes a little additional skill?

Last edited by 79pmooney; 12-01-23 at 10:19 AM.
79pmooney is offline  
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 12-01-23, 03:26 PM
  #83  
Senior Member
 
staehpj1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Posts: 11,813
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1224 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 549 Posts
Since it has been so long since I have posted to this thread Ifigured I'd mention that I have become partial to Lezyne pumps. The Lezyne Small Grip Drive HV is on my mountain bike and I was impressed how well it worked even on big MTB tires, but I only tried it in testing since my tubeless system is pretty reliable. The max pressure on this one is 90 psi, but there are other models for higher pressure tires. I won't bother to dig up the model of the higher pressure lezyne that I used for road bike tires since I don't think it is a currently available model, but the Lezyne models in general are good stuff. Just pick one that suits your needs.
staehpj1 is offline  
Old 12-01-23, 07:48 PM
  #84  
Seat Sniffer
 
Biker395's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: SoCal
Posts: 5,606

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 935 Post(s)
Liked 1,934 Times in 553 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
Since it has been so long since I have posted to this thread Ifigured I'd mention that I have become partial to Lezyne pumps. The Lezyne Small Grip Drive HV is on my mountain bike and I was impressed how well it worked even on big MTB tires, but I only tried it in testing since my tubeless system is pretty reliable. The max pressure on this one is 90 psi, but there are other models for higher pressure tires. I won't bother to dig up the model of the higher pressure lezyne that I used for road bike tires since I don't think it is a currently available model, but the Lezyne models in general are good stuff. Just pick one that suits your needs.
Hmmm. Lezyne makes a pump that was quite popular with friends, but many had problems with the screw on pump head screwing OFF the valve assembly when removed. I have a Lezyne floor pump I bought long ago and hardly used, as it just didnít work well.

Maybe Iíll give them another try.

Iíve used a Topeak micro blaster for years. It takes a zillion pumps to get to pressure, but itís reliable and will pump to high pressure. I donít get so many flats that itís been an issue.
__________________
Proud parent of a happy inner child ...

Biker395 is offline  
Old 12-01-23, 07:55 PM
  #85  
Grupetto Bob
 
rsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Seattle-ish
Posts: 5,920

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2444 Post(s)
Liked 5,249 Times in 2,742 Posts
I carry two CO2 cartridges in my underseat bag and a mini pump in my jersey pocket for top-offs. Have not had the ‘pleasure’ yet.
__________________
Road 🚴🏾‍♂️ & Mountain 🚵🏾‍♂️







rsbob is offline  
Likes For rsbob:
Old 12-02-23, 10:56 PM
  #86  
Senior Member
 
davester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Berkeley CA
Posts: 2,528

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 924 Post(s)
Liked 1,275 Times in 480 Posts
Originally Posted by oldbobcat
As Crocodile Dundee would have said, "That's not a pump. THIS is a pump!"
I agree with this Get yourself a real pump (e.g. Zefal hpx). Most minipumps are close to useless IMHO and save so little weight as to be pointless.
davester is offline  
Likes For davester:
Old 12-03-23, 04:59 AM
  #87  
Senior Member
 
50PlusCycling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 1,038
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 686 Times in 361 Posts
Originally Posted by Randochap
Topeak Road Morph w/ gauge. What else is there?
This is the king of pumps, Iíve used this pump and its predecessor for more than 20 years now. Though the Road Morph is a ďmini pump,Ē I have used mine as pretty much my only pump for years, and after years of daily use, it never misses a beat.
50PlusCycling is offline  
Old 12-03-23, 06:44 AM
  #88  
Senior Member
 
PeteHski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 7,823
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4079 Post(s)
Liked 4,459 Times in 2,774 Posts
Originally Posted by davester
I agree with this Get yourself a real pump (e.g. Zefal hpx). Most minipumps are close to useless IMHO and save so little weight as to be pointless.
Iíve got 3 different mini-pumps that all work well and can be carried in a pocket or on a bottle cage mount.

1. Lifeline micro pump - tiny, cheap little thing that slips unnoticed into a jersey pocket. Great for local rides, although I wouldnít trust it for epic rides far from home.

2. Topeak Race Rocket MT - Only slightly longer, but higher volume for mtb use. Can also carry in a pocket, but it is slightly more bulky.

3. Silca Tattico - A top quality mini road pump, but slightly longer and heavier than the above. It will still go in a jersey pocket, but I carry this one on a bottle cage mount.

Itís not the weight saving over a full length frame pump that really matters, itís the much smaller form factor. Frame pumps made sense on vintage steel triangle frames and still do today, but not on a modern aero road bike or mtb.
PeteHski is offline  
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 12-03-23, 07:14 AM
  #89  
feros ferio
 
John E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: www.ci.encinitas.ca.us
Posts: 21,722

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1373 Post(s)
Liked 1,255 Times in 802 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
...
Itís not the weight saving over a full length frame pump that really matters, itís the much smaller form factor. Frame pumps made sense on vintage steel triangle frames and still do today, but not on a modern aero road bike or mtb.
Yet another argument in favor of vintage steel triangle frames with horizontal top tubes, the only kind of road bike I own or ride.

My Schwinn mountain bike has a pump peg behind the seat tube, and seems designed for the Mt. Zefal pump I use with it.
__________________
"Far and away the best prize that life offers is the chance to work hard at work worth doing." --Theodore Roosevelt
Capo: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger (2), S/N 42624, 42597
Carlton: 1962 Franco Suisse, S/N K7911
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
John E is offline  
Old 12-03-23, 07:34 AM
  #90  
Seat Sniffer
 
Biker395's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: SoCal
Posts: 5,606

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 935 Post(s)
Liked 1,934 Times in 553 Posts
Originally Posted by davester
I agree with this Get yourself a real pump (e.g. Zefal hpx). Most minipumps are close to useless IMHO and save so little weight as to be pointless.
Probably where I should go too. I think any system can fail, be it a pump or CO2, and having one of each is best. CO2 for the primary, small mini pump as a backup.
__________________
Proud parent of a happy inner child ...

Biker395 is offline  
Likes For Biker395:
Old 12-03-23, 09:30 AM
  #91  
Senior Member
 
jadmt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Location: Missoula MT
Posts: 1,748

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 899 Post(s)
Liked 1,842 Times in 830 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Iíve got 3 different mini-pumps that all work well and can be carried in a pocket or on a bottle cage mount.

1. Lifeline micro pump - tiny, cheap little thing that slips unnoticed into a jersey pocket. Great for local rides, although I wouldnít trust it for epic rides far from home.

2. Topeak Race Rocket MT - Only slightly longer, but higher volume for mtb use. Can also carry in a pocket, but it is slightly more bulky.

3. Silca Tattico - A top quality mini road pump, but slightly longer and heavier than the above. It will still go in a jersey pocket, but I carry this one on a bottle cage mount.

Itís not the weight saving over a full length frame pump that really matters, itís the much smaller form factor. Frame pumps made sense on vintage steel triangle frames and still do today, but not on a modern aero road bike or mtb.
I sure love mine. I am amazed how fast it pumps up a tire. I have not counted the strokes but it will pump a rat trap pass up to 50psi in about a minute and a 700x32 to 80psi in about the same. First time I tried it I figured I was going to be there a while and to my surprise that was not the case....I think I have fixed at least 6 flats with it this year maybe one or two more....too many flats....heck one ride I flatted on the rear and a mile later the front went flat....
jadmt is offline  
Likes For jadmt:
Old 12-03-23, 01:47 PM
  #92  
Senior Member
 
downtube42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 3,770

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 1,987 Times in 1,039 Posts
I've had two flats since this thread started - on consecutive days no less. Both times used my Topeak Dual mini pump. Both times checked the pressure afterwards and found I'd stopped at 70psi. Good enough to get me home with relatively low risk of pinch flatting. Confident I could have gotten it to 90psi, had I been in a long ride. Not easily, but possible.

Road Morph on the rando bike is solid; reliable when 100 miles from the finish and 1000+ miles from home.
downtube42 is offline  
Likes For downtube42:
Old 12-03-23, 02:53 PM
  #93  
Senior Member
 
PeteHski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 7,823
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4079 Post(s)
Liked 4,459 Times in 2,774 Posts
Originally Posted by John E
Yet another argument in favor of vintage steel triangle frames with horizontal top tubes, the only kind of road bike I own or ride.
Ah, but if you run modern wider tubeless tyres then you only need about half the pressure and you rarely get flats anyway
PeteHski is offline  
Old 12-04-23, 07:55 PM
  #94  
Senior Member
 
downtube42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 3,770

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 1,987 Times in 1,039 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
I've had two flats since this thread started - on consecutive days no less. Both times used my Topeak Dual mini pump. Both times checked the pressure afterwards and found I'd stopped at 70psi. Good enough to get me home with relatively low risk of pinch flatting. Confident I could have gotten it to 90psi, had I been in a long ride. Not easily, but possible.

Road Morph on the rando bike is solid; reliable when 100 miles from the finish and 1000+ miles from home.
I'm not superstitions; things don't actually happen in threes. Purely meaningless that today's flat was the third in eight days.
downtube42 is offline  
Old 12-05-23, 04:51 AM
  #95  
Senior Member
 
PeteHski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 7,823
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4079 Post(s)
Liked 4,459 Times in 2,774 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
I'm not superstitions; things don't actually happen in threes. Purely meaningless that today's flat was the third in eight days.
You just need to get a 4th flat to prove it.
PeteHski is offline  
Likes For PeteHski:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.