Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

How would you react to this comment?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

How would you react to this comment?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-09, 08:07 PM

Bikes: 15 Specialized Crosstrail, 83 Schwinn Traveller, Fuji Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Last week I made a stop at a local bakery for that I frequent, as I put the bread in my backpack the lady at the register asked if I was riding my bike today. They know me there. When I said yes she said "Be careful out there, it's slippery and there are lots of crazy drivers around." It was obvious to me that she was concerned and thought that she was being helpful. I smiled and said "Oh no! I always ride as fast as I can and pay no attention to things around me, it's more fun that way!" She recognized the mild sarcasm and smiled too.
Old 12-23-09, 10:11 PM

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
By "crazies" she could have meant people our age how have normal degradation in night vision. What's up with you guys? If you ride at night, even with lights and reflective clothes, you just aren't that visible to LOT's of people. Sure, it's fun to ride on the roads at night, but there is a much greater risk than riding during the day. Be really glad that person was thinking about your safety.

I ride thousands of miles a year, but I don't ride at night on the roads. I think it's for crazies.
Old 12-24-09, 12:10 AM
RKW
Lost Planet Airman

Bikes: Trek 520, old Rockhopper

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Perhaps you are harder to see than you think you are?
I wonder if DenverFox might be on to something. A couple of evenings ago a rider crossed the street in front of me (I was in my car). She was well lit front and back but not very noticeable from the side. I think I'm gonna look into a set of frame lights, and some lights for the wheels.
Old 12-24-09, 12:44 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dagnabit, seems like my hubbie was right, as usual. I hate when that happens! We are actually pretty visible, reflective helmet covers, lights, vests, etc. I have checked it out by riding and having my husband drive to check my stuff, and me driving while he rides to check his stuff. But next time I will try to be more gracious :-)

Last edited by sjordan1959; 12-24-09 at 12:45 AM. Reason: typo :-)
Old 12-24-09, 01:18 AM

Bikes: Torker Cargo-T, 1972 Raleigh

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
1) I'd have asked her how I could identify "crazies", as opposed to dimwits that stop you on the street to make inane comments.

2) Alright, I'd probably have said something extremely rude to her and regretted it, and wept bitterly, 20 years from now. Or not. Something like "Go P*** up a rope!"

3) And then I'd have asked her to stop polluting MY air, by DRIVING AIMLESSLY through a suburb.

4) All of the above...

I don't make friends easily. I wonder why...

Last edited by Fat Tire; 12-24-09 at 01:20 AM. Reason: Mispelled a word, if you MUST know.
Old 12-24-09, 04:29 AM

Bikes: Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would have said "Thanks I will, Merry Christmas" and continue enjoying the ride and light show.

I think she was trying to be helpful that's all.
Old 12-24-09, 09:39 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by sjordan1959
... "you guys be careful, there are crazies out who don't even see you." .
I'd probably say, "Well, you see us, don't you?" then I'd tell her people hit cyclists even when they see them just like they do to motorists.
Old 12-24-09, 11:14 AM
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
I think she was jealous that you had the freedom of a bike and she was stuck in a car. She wanted you to invite her along.

You had a great idea, I'm gonna get a few together later tonight and see some lights. Is it OK to ride with Baileys and coffee in the bottle? It is Christmas, maybe i should take Egg Nog?

Seriously, biking and enjoying lights, freedom, fun, fresh air. And you were being cautious. Us bikers know we have to look out for cars, its just part of riding.

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 12-24-09, 11:17 AM
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by RKW
I wonder if DenverFox might be on to something. A couple of evenings ago a rider crossed the street in front of me (I was in my car). She was well lit front and back but not very noticeable from the side. I think I'm gonna look into a set of frame lights, and some lights for the wheels.
There are good commuter tires with reflective bands. Good idea to consider the side of a bike as well.

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 12-24-09, 12:27 PM
Spin Meister

Bikes: Trek Émonda, 1961 Follis (French) road bike (I'm the original owner), a fixie, a mountain bike, etc.

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 16 Posts
"I think I'm gonna look into a set of frame lights, and some lights for the wheels."

No! Unless you are illegally passing across the path of an oncoming car, lights won't save you.

However, if you must, how about: https://www.monkeylectric.com
Old 12-24-09, 01:26 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The problem is this time of year there are more people driving thinking about a lot of things that may not include paying attention to cyclists. I was riding home from a group ride last Monday and came upon a string of cars stopped for a light so I was forced to pass on the right. Two cars from the light there was a woman in a small to medium sized SUV in the middle of her lane a few feet behind the first car in line. Just as I got within a few feet of the back of her vehicle she noticed a parking space on her right so she mashed on the gas and drove me into a total panic stop and almost smashed me into the parked vehicle next to her. Not that they don’t do that other times of the year, they just do in more when they are out Christmas shopping and looking at Christmas decorations. My comment to my fellow cyclists the next morning was,” be careful out there, people are driving crazy.”
You and your Husband are braver than I am anyway. I wouldn’t be out that late in traffic on my bike anyway. In our town people have a hard time seeing you in the day light. Their night vision is even worse.
Old 12-24-09, 04:58 PM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by Fat Tire
1) I'd have asked her how I could identify "crazies", as opposed to dimwits that stop you on the street to make inane comments.

2) Alright, I'd probably have said something extremely rude to her and regretted it, and wept bitterly, 20 years from now. Or not. Something like "Go P*** up a rope!"

3) And then I'd have asked her to stop polluting MY air, by DRIVING AIMLESSLY through a suburb.

4) All of the above...

I don't make friends easily. I wonder why...
Yes, it boggles the mind...
Old 12-24-09, 05:12 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert Foster
... I was riding home from a group ride last Monday and came upon a string of cars stopped for a light so I was forced to pass on the right. Two cars from the light there was a woman in a small to medium sized SUV in the middle of her lane a few feet behind the first car in line. Just as I got within a few feet of the back of her vehicle she noticed a parking space on her right so she mashed on the gas and drove me into a total panic stop and almost smashed me into the parked vehicle next to her. Not that they don’t do that other times of the year, they just do in more when they are out Christmas shopping and looking at Christmas decorations. My comment to my fellow cyclists the next morning was,” be careful out there, people are driving crazy.”
Um, you were passing stopped cars on the right? Do you do that in your car? That's riskier behavior than riding at night. If you want to be treated like a vehicle, you have to act like one and take your place behind the last car in line.
Old 12-24-09, 05:34 PM
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
Um, you were passing stopped cars on the right? Do you do that in your car? That's riskier behavior than riding at night. If you want to be treated like a vehicle, you have to act like one and take your place behind the last car in line.
I do to make left turns. But our laws require cyclists to ride to the right or in a bike lane except to make a turn. Technically I am not allowed to ride in the lane unless I have no option to move right. I have kept a copy this page of the drivers hand book since I took up cycling. I don’t always agree with it but several of our club riders are in law enforcement and it has won me a cup of coffee now and then.

· Drivers must:
o look carefully for bicyclists before opening doors next to moving traffic or before turning right.
o safely merge toward the curb or into the bike lane.
o not overtake a bicyclist just before making a right turn. Merge first, then turn.
· Bicyclists:
o are lawfully permitted to ride on certain sections of freeways. Be careful when approaching or passing a bicyclist on a freeway.
o must ride in the same direction as other traffic, not against it.
o must ride in a straight line as near to the right curb or edge of the roadway as practical—not on the sidewalk.
o must ride single file on a busy or narrow street.
o must make left and right turns in the same way that drivers do, using the same turn lanes.
o must signal all their intentions to motorists and cyclists near them.
o may legally move left to turn left, to pass a parked or moving vehicle, another bicycle, an animal, or to make a turn, avoid debris, or other hazards.
o may choose to ride near the left curb or edge of a one-way street.
o may use a left turn lane. If the bicyclist is traveling straight ahead, he or she should use a through traffic lane rather than ride next to the curb and block traffic making right turns.
o are lawfully permitted to ride on certain sections of freeways, in some rural areas where there is no alternate route. Be careful when approaching or passing a bicyclist on a freeway.
Old 12-24-09, 05:39 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

I don't see where it says you can pass cars on the right side of the same lane. Even if it did, I wouldn't do it. That's just asking for trouble.

I would say that "as near to the right curb or edge of the roadway as practical" in that case would be behind the right side of the car ahead of me.

Last edited by BluesDawg; 12-24-09 at 05:42 PM.
Old 12-24-09, 06:23 PM
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't see where it says you can pass cars on the right side of the same lane. Even if it did, I wouldn't do it. That's just asking for trouble.

I would say that "as near to the right curb or edge of the roadway as practical" in that case would be behind the right side of the car ahead of me.
If you park just behind the car in front of you that would be about 7 or 8 feet from the curb. If you notice we are only allowed to move out to the left that far to pass a parked vehicle or make a left turn. That is just how it is done here. Obviously you have different standards in your state. I might have to have a different copy of the rules if I lived there.
Old 12-26-09, 07:06 PM

Bikes: '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road; '17 Circe Helios e-tandem:1994 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 61 Posts
I beg to differ. If the traffic is stationary, there is no reason, unless it is a bus discharging passenegers, why you should not carefully pass vehicles on the right and get to the front so that you are visible to all. In fact, in some countries, at traffic lights, there is an area, just beyond the stop line, reserved for bikes, so they can pull away first and in full view of other traffic.
Old 12-26-09, 07:40 PM
just keep riding

Originally Posted by Artmo
I beg to differ. If the traffic is stationary, there is no reason, unless it is a bus discharging passenegers, why you should not carefully pass vehicles on the right and get to the front so that you are visible to all. In fact, in some countries, at traffic lights, there is an area, just beyond the stop line, reserved for bikes, so they can pull away first and in full view of other traffic.

country mouse - city mouse
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...-different-law

Last edited by BluesDawg; 12-26-09 at 07:45 PM.
Old 12-26-09, 08:03 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sjordan1959
Dagnabit, seems like my hubbie was right, as usual. I hate when that happens! We are actually pretty visible, reflective helmet covers, lights, vests, etc. I have checked it out by riding and having my husband drive to check my stuff, and me driving while he rides to check his stuff. But next time I will try to be more gracious :-)
Have you checked it out with a street full of Christmas lights in the background behind you?
Old 12-27-09, 01:45 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
In a world mostly characterized by apathy for anything outside folk's immediate concerns, this sounds like a sincere expression of sympathy.

No need to analyze it. Appreciate her and her concern for people she doesn't even know; it's a rare thing.
Old 12-27-09, 02:42 PM
E—Bike Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I'm out on my treadly, I seldom give a stuff what motorists yell at me. Not worth worrying about.
And I certainly wouldn't have been "annoyed" at what that woman said to me — I just would've ignored her — as potentially one of the "crazies" she was talking about LOL.
Old 12-27-09, 04:53 PM
Fraser Valley Dave

Bikes: devinci monaco (upgraded)

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Actually, she is right, with all the colourful lights, it's more difficult to see pedestrians and cyclists even if they are wearing good reflective clothing (except the full construction style jacket). Even the flashing lights we cyclists use can be easily lost amongst all the glitter and on-coming headlights. I drive a large commercial vehicle, and this time of year is the most stressful because of the worry about pedestrians and cyclists. You and your group may have been riding with great care, but there are a lot that are out at night excited and thrilled at the sights and forget about their dangerous surroundings.
Old 12-27-09, 05:28 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
OP, even you admit she was genuinely concerned about you. That's becoming a rare trait to find these days and not something to scoff at and make fun of through sarcasm. As to her reference to "crazies," it's very likely she meant drivers who don't adjust their driving habits in inclement weather. Rather than thanking her, you made fun of her. Not very gentlemanly behavior, I must say. Next time you stop in the bakery if you see this woman, I hope you act the gentleman.
Old 12-27-09, 05:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
I would most likely have smiled and said thank you.
Old 12-27-09, 06:52 PM
Recovering mentalist

Bikes: Too many

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'd have said: "Thanks. I know; we deal with them all the time. Glad someone else notices."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.